• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

Jintor

So I walked to school in the bright spring sunshine today and then by about 9am i was in the middle of a goddamn snowstorm. Snow lasted almost the entire school day so far. None of it stuck around though. Glad I didn't put the clothes out.

Also the teachers here have apparently never heard of not talking to people while you're at the urinals because three teachers have tried to engage me in conversation while pissing, one of them my 校長先生.

jae

Graduating from sharehouses to a tiny apartment. What is the best place for furniture and such? Craigslist sayonara sales & IKEA?

Jubern

I dunno how allowed it is to speak about that here..?

Why would it be not allowed? Perfectly fine. He can either use a DNS service or a VPN service.

Haha, I was a bit hesitant at first but doing some search told me it should be okay.

Graduating from sharehouses to a tiny apartment. What is the best place for furniture and such? Craigslist sayonara sales & IKEA?

I bought everything new at IKEA because I had some dough to spent on moving but a lot of my friends just buy stuff through Craiglist and various sayonara sales websites.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I bought most of my stuff in Nitori and electronics in Yamada Denki. Spending 50k in the latter together with subscribing for Internet (NTT+Softbank) allowed me to get a 50k yen cashback (in cash) a month later.

Aizo

Banned
Is anyone one of you guys using a DNS to access Netflix ? I recently subscribed to Unlocator, which does the job as far as "unlocating" goes, but significantly cuts down my speed.

I was wondering if there were any better alternatives.
I would just use free options. Hola unblocker or proxmate are what I used.
edit: looks like getting Netflix through proxmate required a donation now.

Ayumi

Hola always worked for me. I also have the Mediahint crx file for Google Chrome for the US whenever Hola goes down.

Shouldn't be an issue soon anyway.. gonna be nice using a raw connection from various devices once it's released in Japan.
Hulu Japan has a nice collection too so I can imagine Netflix wants to be a bit broad too and not just stick to Japanese titles.

I didn't mention Hola because I wasn't sure I could.. Dunno how far into the grey zone it is or not.
It isn't grey at all. VPN etc. kind of got a bad image from the early days like only shady people use it for shady things. As a matter of fact, it's something you use pretty much everyday in IT. Well at least I do as a network engineer.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
It isn't grey at all. VPN etc. kind of got a bad image from the early days like only shady people use it for shady things. As a matter of fact, it's something you use pretty much everyday in IT. Well at least I do as a network engineer.
If we're talking legal, Iirc using a VPN to access Netflix from another country goes against their TOS.
Would have to double check, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

Ayumi

What Hasemo said. Besides I was still referring to mostly GAF's rules and how much I'm allowed to write about it here, considering stuff like torrents aren't welcome for obvious reasons. Can never be too careful tbh.

It's not even worth discussing.... Ugh. The original guy got his answer already anyway.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
If we're talking legal, Iirc using a VPN to access Netflix from another country goes against their TOS.

What Hasemo said. Besides I was still referring to mostly GAF's rules and how much I'm allowed to write about it here, considering stuff like torrents aren't welcome for obvious reasons. Can never be too careful tbh.

It's not even worth discussing.... Ugh. The original guy got his answer already anyway.

VPN are completely legal, so there is no problem talking about it.

Sakura

speaking of overtime... is there any kind of compensation?
like earning a higher hourly wage or being able to use those hours later to take a few days off or something like that?

If you're salary you might be out of luck, depending on the company.
For paid by hour I believe it is an extra 25% . At least that is what I get.

Well, this is the relevant part in their TOS:

6.c
You may view a movie or TV show through the Netflix service primarily within the country in which you have established your account and only in geographic locations where we offer our service and have licensed such movie or TV show. The content that may be available to watch will vary by geographic location. Netflix will use technologies to verify your geographic location.
https://www.netflix.com/TermsOfUse

It doesn't specifically say that users who use VPN to gain access to their service from abroad violate their TOS or act illegal in a criminal sense. But then again, it could be a guilty offense under US law, which is whole another story then.

Whatever, talking about this is as I said perfectly fine unless you are living in an oppressed state lol.

dani_dc

So dpes anyone know of any interesting veneus for free/cheap concerts of indie bands, or other type of subcultures events (such as boardgames, ideally open to English speakers) that are worth checking around Tokyo?

A commuter pass you mean? This info might be useful:
http://blog.qiqitori.com/?p=34
Thanks, that helped some, now I just need a site to calculate my "ideal" commute instead of trying station to station (example: Uguisudani to Kanda and Nippori to Tokyo commutes both cost the same thing even though the latter covers quite a few more stations).

Thanks, that helped some, now I just need a site to calculate my "ideal" commute instead of trying station to station (example: Uguisudani to Kanda and Nippori to Tokyo commutes both cost the same thing even though the latter covers quite a few more stations).

Well, it's either Nippori-Tokyo, Tabata-Kanda or Uguisudani-Yurakucho you can get for the same price, unless you want to pay more.

dani_dc

Well, it's either Nippori-Tokyo, Tabata-Kanda or Uguisudani-Yurakucho you can get for the same price, unless you want to pay more.
Ah thanks, that really helps me out! How did you figure it out for future reference?

The price didn't seen dependent just on to the number of stations so was basically trying station to station in the terminal.

Ah thanks, that really helps me out! How did you figure it out for future reference?

The price didn't seen dependent just on to the number of stations so was basically trying station to station in the terminal.

You can search on Hyperdia and it will show the commuter pass price:
http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

Be careful though, if you put in stations that are closer to each other by traveling through the other side of the loop than the stations you want it to go via, then the price won't be correct.

dani_dc

You can search on Hyperdia and it will show the commuter pass price:
http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

Be careful though, if you put in stations that are closer to each other by traveling through the other side of the loop than the stations you want it to go via, then the price won't be correct.

Oh, you're right, I hadn't notice the commuter pass!

This is extremely helpful! I'll have to sit down at the PC tomorrow to figure out which commute to get and if its worth paying a bit more for a few extra stations for mobility.

Finalow

I'll be for (a little less than) 3 months in Kyoto, more specifically in the Shomogyo ward. not sure if this is the right thread, I think it's better to ask here instead of the other one, if someone lives/lived in Kyoto or near that area he might be able to be more helpful, also this isn't really a 1-2 weeks trip. I don't know, in any case I can just edit this post and then copy-paste it in the other thread.

since I have to move pretty much every day I thought that renting a bicycle was a good idea, however do they have some monthly fees or similar arrangements? Paying the daily fee for 3 months is going to be insanely expensive. no point in buying one either, I'm afraid. I guess I'll get a Suica Card for everything else. I wanted to at least visit Tokyo and Osaka once.

any suggestions for Kyoto? Besides all the stuff listed on japan-guide, like any good gaming-related place or what are the best places to eat at etc., if close to the ward I'm staying in even better. also feel free to throw at me any suggestion about what I should definitely see/do in Japan.

as far as wi-fi goes, I was planning on using the free wi-fi spots while I'm outside. should that be good enough? Or I should go for pay2internet choices. again, I'm staying there for about 3 months so if I have to pay for it what are the less expensive/better options?

hopefully I won't regret choosing Kyoto over Tokyo. (≖‿≖)

dani_dc

since I have to move pretty much every day I thought that renting a bicycle was a good idea, however do they have some monthly fees or similar arrangements? Paying the daily fee for 3 months is going to be insanely expensive. no point in buying one either, I'm afraid. I guess I'll get a Suica Card for everything else. I wanted to at least visit Tokyo and Osaka once.

as far as wi-fi goes, I was planning on using the free wi-fi spots while I'm outside. should that be good enough? Or I should go for pay2internet choices. again, I'm staying there for about 3 months so if I have to pay for it what are the less expensive/better options?

hopefully I won't regret choosing Kyoto over Tokyo. (≖‿≖)
You could buy a cheap second hand bike and then resell it before you leave, though bikes need to be registered to an owner here, not sure if you could do so without having a resident card.

As far as free wi-fi spots go, at least in Tokyo, there are enough around if you look for them, but not as many as I'd like, you could pick up a data sim, there's one for 3GB for 90 days for around 3500-4000 yens, not sure if there's any other more decent deals.

kubus

Just picked up my visa!

10 more days until I start university in Japan... and still so much stuff to take care of! :x

Finalow

You could buy a cheap second hand bike and then resell it before you leave, though bikes need to be registered to an owner here, not sure if you could do so without having a resident card.

As far as free wi-fi spots go, at least in Tokyo, there are enough around if you look for them, but not as many as I'd like, you could pick up a data sim, there's one for 3GB for 90 days for around 3500-4000 yens, not sure if there's any other more decent deals.
3GB each month? Or 3GB total. either case for that price it seems decent enough.
if they need to be registered to an owner I probably won't be able to buy and then sell one. :,(

dani_dc

Just picked up my visa!

10 more days until I start university in Japan... and still so much stuff to take care of! :x

I picked my Visa like 2-3 days before my trip to Tokyo, nerve wrecking days.
Where are you going to?

3GB each month? Or 3GB total. either case for that price it seems decent enough.
if they need to be registered to an owner I probably won't be able to buy and then sell one. :,(

3GB total I believe.

Yeah, I'm still fairly new here so not quite sure how that'd work.

Jothel

anyone else having trouble with their AU phone? Have had full 4g but no mobile data for around 3 hours now and it is preeeeeeeeetty annoying.

Ayumi

anyone else having trouble with their AU phone? Have had full 4g but no mobile data for around 3 hours now and it is preeeeeeeeetty annoying.

You passed the 7gb cap?

If it's anything like Softbank's limit, it's supposedly decreased instead of blocked.. but whenever I've reached their data limit, it's so goddamn slow, even the 90s were faster.

kubus

I picked my Visa like 2-3 days before my trip to Tokyo, nerve wrecking days.
Where are you going to?
Oh man I can imagine how nerve wrecking that must've been :x I was so relieved when I walked out of there with my visa

I'm going to Hino, Tokyo. Doing a study exchange at an university there for 5 months. Looking forward to it! (Also shitting bricks)

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Sometimes I forget my internet bill a few times and the internet goes down. Then I run to the konbini to pay and 10 minutes later it's back up. ♡ NTT ♡
That's why all my bills are automatically deducted from my account. Feels great not having to worry about this stuff.

That's why all my bills are automatically deducted from my account. Feels great not having to worry about this stuff.
Yeah, pretty much this. I did that like the first two months and then I sorted all my stuff out. Don't understand how people keep doing this for years lol. House, gas, electricity, phone, internet etc. - yeah, no thanks.

Ayumi

Yeah, pretty much this. I did that like the first two months and then I sorted all my stuff out. Don't understand how people keep doing this for years lol. House, gas, electricity, phone, internet etc. - yeah, no thanks.

idk, a lot of my friends (born and raised in Japan) do it too. Probably just a personal preference. I think most just don't want to pay the bank transfer fee/consider it a waste of money, or something.

m3r4

Dufter Typ taking lurking to the next level
I only pay gas myself because of the fee. Gives me a chance to talk to the people working at the Conbini aswell.

Gromph

Staff Member
I only pay gas myself because of the fee. Gives me a chance to talk to the people working at the Conbini aswell.

I pay everything at the conbini. It also give me the chance to practice my japanese :)

Gromph

Staff Member
What do you talk about with the Conbini people?

Depends, they usually ask me where i'm from, how long i had been here in japan, i ask about restaurants, places they know and can show me so i discover new awesome places this way.

samui desu neeee

ちょっと暑いですよう

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
you forgot to post a translation of what you said so we dont leave the one lurker out of the convo

m3r4

Dufter Typ taking lurking to the next level
I'm glad I don't have to use the subway a lot. My bike still runs like a champion. I'm glad I spent the money on it.

Jubern

Actually, I've tried a couple of time to do that, but it's always a pain in the ass. Hell, any kind of paperwork is hell for me here.

I have two middle names that I never used until Japan forced me to FOR EVERYTHING (so it's absent from some papers), and my MUFJ bank account was opened with a signature instead of an inkan.

Result: My personal info sometimes doesn't always match EXACTLY as they want it to, and they'll sent back applications and stuff asking for corrections, sometimes not mentioning clearly what they wish to have corrected (name problem? I should have used my signature and not my inkan?)

A few months ago, I opened a new bank account at Mizuho because my workplace asked me too. To facilitate things, I wrote my name the way I usually do (something akin to "NEOGAF Jubern Gundam Fabulous", to make a point of NEOGAF being my last name) -> they made me rewrite the whole thing because it wasn't ALL CAPS like it is on my passport, and of course proceeded to make all kind of mistakes after that. WTF yo.

Sometimes this country drives me mad lol

Top Bottom