• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

Ayumi

The working holiday visa e.g. is only for citizens of Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Korea, New Zealand, Taiwan, and the United Kingdom.

You forgot a few:
Hong Kong, Norway & Ireland. Just in case someone from those countries would visit this thread. :3

You forgot a few:
Hong Kong, Norway & Ireland. Just in case someone from those countries would visit this thread. :3
Ah right, my bad.

@Philippo
Instead of the brazilian embassy, you may give the japanese embassy in Milan a visit. I doubt the brazilian will be able to give you any info about it. Are you a citizen of both, Brazil and Italy? If so, going in as an Italian citizen may give you some advantages. I'm just thinking out load, since there are quite a few italian guys in this country. It sure gave me a big advantage using my german citizenship instead of my croatian.

kubus

Hey JapanGAF! Looks I'll be joining you guys soon as I'll be flying to Japan in March to commence my studies at Jissen Women's University in Hino, Tokyo! I'm doing a study exchange program between my university and Jissen, and I'm staying in the dorm there from April to August. Exciting times ahead!

I'll probably have a lot of questions for you later, so よろしくおねがいします!

urfe

I got some time to kill after work today before a nomikai (no overtime permitting), so was thinking about going to Akihabara to look at old Gameboy stuff. Which store is recommended?

Thanks!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I got some time to kill after work today before a nomikai (no overtime permitting), so was thinking about going to Akihabara to look at old Gameboy stuff. Which store is recommended?

Thanks!
Superpotato and random retro stores.

Desmond

You forgot a few:

hehe :3

Actually back in Ireland for a while. Fly back to Japan on Thursday. I'll hardly bump into you in Amsterdam airport again, will I? lol

hwalker84

I know this isn't the travel thread but does anyone have any interest/money to go to Jiro? I'd love to say i've been there but I'm aware of the problems in reserving a table and distaste for people that do not speak Japanese. I'll be in Japan from March 21st - April 12th.

Darksol

When I move to Japan in early 2016 with my holiday work visa where will I need to go to get my residency card? I'm assuming I'll need that in order to open a bank account and get a cell phone.

I'll be living with my gf in Saitama, so thankfully I don't have to worry about apartment hunting.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
When I move to Japan in early 2016 with my holiday work visa where will I need to go to get my residency card? I'm assuming I'll need that in order to open a bank account and get a cell phone.

I'll be living with my gf in Saitama, so thankfully I don't have to worry about apartment hunting.
Yes. I think it takes about an hour or something.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member

If you came with the visa, you will get you residence card in the airport.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
If you came with the visa, you will get you residence card in the airport.
Oh, right, I found an apartment and moved moved right after coming here, so the reason I had to go was to register and have the address written on my card.

It used to be your city office (市役所). That's where I went to get mine. But since 2012, residency cards issues by local government offices have been phased out in favor of one issued by the national government. Don't you just get them at the airport now?

edit- beaten

Ayumi

Oh, right, I found an apartment and moved moved right after coming here, so the reason I had to go was to register and have the address written on my card.
He still needs to get his address put on the card at the city office, I think within 14 days of getting the residence card at customs.

Gromph

Staff Member

Yeah, i did the same, my first residence card didn't had an address until i find the apartment.

Darksol

Thanks for the advice all. Didn't know the airport deets. That's convenient. And yeah, I also heard the 14 days bit. Good to know :)

Here's a better question, does my 6 month clock start ticking once my holiday working visa is approved, or not until I come into the country with it? Because if the former I'll put it off until closer to my departure date. If the later, I'd apply ASAP.

Once in Japan I know I can apply for an additional 6 month extension.

I'll be in Toronto in December so I'll double check with my embassy then.

Sakura

Thanks for the advice all. Didn't know the airport deets. That's convenient. And yeah, I also heard the 14 days bit. Good to know :)

Here's a better question, does my 6 month clock start ticking once my holiday working visa is approved, or not until I come into the country with it? Because if the former I'll put it off until closer to my departure date. If the later, I'd apply ASAP.

Once in Japan I know I can apply for an additional 6 month extension.

I'll be in Toronto in December so I'll double check with my embassy then.

Doesn't start till you enter the country.

urfe

Finally getting to Super Potato today to look for Gameboy Lights.

Haven't been to Akihabara (or the Electric area at least) for years.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Finally getting to Super Potato today to look for Gameboy Lights.

Haven't been to Akihabara (or the Electric area at least) for years.
Remember that super potato has the best selection, but often the highest prices. What I did when I was looking for a used PSP a few years ago in Akihabara was to go to all the stores I could find, compare the prices and get the cheapest one.

urfe

Remember that super potato has the best selection, but often the highest prices. What I did when I was looking for a used PSP a few years ago in Akihabara was to go to all the stores I could find, compare the prices and get the cheapest one.

Yeah, holy shot were they high.

I'll prob just get something off Yahoo Auctions.

Was fun to look around at all the retro stuff though.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Yeah, holy shot were they high.

I'll prob just get something off Yahoo Auctions.

Was fun to look around at all the retro stuff though.
Yeah, when I was looking for a used PS2, Yahoo Auctions was by far the cheapest option.
Sadly, as with all auction sites, luck plays a big part in the transaction.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So, I have a business trip to Tokyo on May 5th. I will likely fly in on May 1st and then head out for 10 days or so in the rest of Japan (Kyoto, Hiroshima with stops in Nara, Himeji and Okayama).

So, that will give me a long weekend in Tokyo prior to the business trip.. the problem is I think that is Golden Week. Is that a terrible time to come? I'm not particularly interested in video games, manga or anime stuff.

More looking to get a nice cosmopolitan early trip (I live in NYC so prices shouldn't be too insane compared) followed by more historic stuff on the other end. Then end with a few more days in Tokyo before flying home.

Ayumi

So, I have a business trip to Tokyo on May 5th. I will likely fly in on May 1st and then head out for 10 days or so in the rest of Japan (Kyoto, Hiroshima with stops in Nara, Himeji and Okayama).

So, that will give me a long weekend in Tokyo prior to the business trip.. the problem is I think that is Golden Week. Is that a terrible time to come? I'm not particularly interested in video games, manga or anime stuff.

More looking to get a nice cosmopolitan early trip (I live in NYC so prices shouldn't be too insane compared) followed by more historic stuff on the other end. Then end with a few more days in Tokyo before flying home.
Golden Week is the worst and most packed time of the entire year. Like I mentioned earlier, people from outside Tokyo are all coming for sales and stuff. It's really, really bad. But it's not like you won't enjoy Tokyo if you come! It will just be very packed, at least in stores, restaurants and such. lol

Most of the crowd is in the popular central places like Shinjuku, Shibuya (around 109/Hachiko/etc). Omotesando in Harajuku/Jingumae is also extremely packed, so I can imagine how bad Meiji Shrine is.

If you're already coming then might as well make the best of it! Just be prepared for packed trains and such.

I'm traveling alone to Japan for 3 months! Living in Shibuya, at a bnb. My original intentions of traveling are not going in the direction I was thinking. So I'm going to have a lot of free time seeing the sites.

This is my first time in Japan , alone for most of the time and I dont really speak Japanese. I was wondering how much spending/food money should I have set aside? I was thinking maybe $250 a week? I dont want to be living off of ramen but maybe have some nice food every now and then. There's also a lot I would like to see but I'm still researching that.

Thanks a head of time ^.^

Also I saw someone earlier talking about a Tokyo meet. Definitely sign me up!

Darksol

I'm traveling alone to Japan for 3 months! Living in Shibuya, at a bnb. My original intentions of traveling are not going in the direction I was thinking. So I'm going to have a lot of free time seeing the sites.

This is my first time in Japan , alone for most of the time and I dont really speak Japanese. I was wondering how much spending/food money should I have set aside? I was thinking maybe $250 a week? I dont want to be living off of ramen but maybe have some nice food every now and then. There's also a lot I would like to see but I'm still researching that.

Thanks a head of time ^.^

You can easily eat yummy noms on that budget. I did with substantially less.

dani_dc

Posted those on the Japan Travel thread, but was pointed out this is a more appropriate thread, so let me quote myself.

I'll be traveling this Saturday to Tokyo and I'll be staying there until the end of August (doing an internship). I'm in a mixture of excitement and nervousness right now.

Been meaning to post here for the...er... last 3 months, but it never quite felt like I was really going to travel anytime soon with the whole waiting for the whole documentation and stuff, everything was done in short notice (going to pick up my Visa today after requesting it last week, here's hoping there wasn't any issues with it), rather nerve wrecking experience I must say. I'll have to give a better look at the thread soon.

For now I rented a room in Uguisudani via Sakura House, mostly because the area looked nice, it's about 50-60 minutes away from work on foot according to google maps, and the other person going via the program is staying in that area as well and I figure might as well stick in the same general area. We'll see how that goes.

How would one get around getting a local phone number for use? I'm guessing renting a phone service won't be worth for such a long period of time.

I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions popping up in my mind soon.

I'd love to go to a meet up assuming it happens during the period I'm in Tokyo.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Heeeey, I just noticed this thread exists. This is super cool!

I notice a lot of people going to Tokyo. Why does Osaka never get any love? T_T

Desmond

You're.. Irish? I don't even remember your English, only your Japanese. wwww

What is Dublin like?

Yeah! Do I not look Irish?

One of the Cabin Attendants saw my Irish Passport today and ran over. By some bizarre coincidence, she studied and lived in my hometown (it's quite small, it's ireland after all) ten years ago.

I don't always think so, but it's a great city. ;D

Ayumi

Yeah! Do I not look Irish?

One of the Cabin Attendants saw my Irish Passport today and ran over. By some bizarre coincidence, she studied and lived in my hometown (it's quite small, it's ireland after all) ten years ago.

I don't always think so, but it's a great city. ;D
I don't think you do!

Also guys, Netflix is finally launching in Japan this fall.

https://pr.netflix.com/WebClient/getNewsSummary.do?newsId=1871

It's probably not going to be very broad of selection at first.. but at least it'll be cheaper than what I already pay.. I'm guessing maybe ¥700/mo at most.

Hope to see many classic movies there. :3

dani_dc

Tomorrow's the trip! So excited.

I don't think you do!

It's probably not going to be very broad of selection at first.. but at least it'll be cheaper than what I already pay.. I'm guessing maybe ¥700/mo at most.

Good time for me to move there (even if only for a few months).

I don't think you do!

Thanks for the heads-up! One down, one to go (Spotify).

We had HikariTV bundled with our internet connection until we cancelled the TV plan, because we got Hulu and we're pretty happy with it so far for less than ¥1.000/month. It really comes down to what Netflix has to offer in Japan for how much money per month. I wouldn't mind adding a Netflix subscription and keep both, but as I said, it really comes down to what they got to offer. Hoping for a pleasant surprise!

Sorry for shamelessly asking here.

If you didn't know already, I'm Brian.
I have been looking for a few amiibos such as Little Mac, Wii Fit Trainer and Villager. I was wondering whether stores have a replenished stock rather than online, and if you see them, can you buy one for me?

I would be happy to hook you up with a Prepaid MasterCard (Australian or Japanese) and will be eternally grateful.

I will pay for Retail Price and Shipping, plus extra for your support.

Thanks a lot.
Kisses
- Brain.

Gromph

Staff Member
Brian★;154228604 said:
Sorry for shamelessly asking here.

If you didn't know already, I'm Brian.
I have been looking for a few amiibos such as Little Mac, Wii Fit Trainer and Villager. I was wondering whether stores have a replenished stock rather than online, and if you see them, can you buy one for me?

I would be happy to hook you up with a Prepaid MasterCard (Australian or Japanese) and will be eternally grateful.

I will pay for Retail Price and Shipping, plus extra for your support.

Thanks a lot.
Kisses
- Brain.

Dear Brain,

I will not it, i know in one biccamera the Wi Fit was sold-out but the rest were available.

If i cross by one i will buy for you.

Cant guaranty this week tho.

Ayumi

Thanks for the heads-up! One down, one to go (Spotify).

We had HikariTV bundled with our internet connection until we cancelled the TV plan, because we got Hulu and we're pretty happy with it so far for less than ¥1.000/month. It really comes down to what Netflix has to offer in Japan for how much money per month. I wouldn't mind adding a Netflix subscription and keep both, but as I said, it really comes down to what they got to offer. Hoping for a pleasant surprise!

I use Spotify here with my European card (like Netflix). Except Spotify doesn't require a proxy. It would still be cheaper (I think) if it had an official release in Japan though.. That's why I'm excited for Japan Netflix so I can change my payment/account and pay less finally.

Also have Hulu. I think both are good. But I prefer to watch everything with English subtitles.. Most stuff on Hulu is only Japanese subtitles and a lot of the jokes/context gets dropped from them. So it's extremely weird to watch English audio with Japanese subtitles. lol

I feel my English is good enough, but sometimes I can't hear what they say anyway. So I always keep my Netflix subtitles on. ._.

dani_dc

Any advices on getting good data sim card for 5-6 month in Tokyo?
I see a lot of turists ones for 14 days-1 month and there's local ones too, not sure which would be more advisable.

Imiwa? for iOS has been my go to app for years. It just improves with every new release. And it's free! I have no knowledge of Android apps though. So, what are your favorites?

Imiwa? for iOS has been my go to app for years. It just improves with every new release. And it's free! I have no knowledge of Android apps though. So, what are your favorites?

I use Midori on iOS. I installed WWWJDIC on my Nexus 7 since I don't know which app is best but haven't really used it. I always default back to Midori.

Kaworu

Any advices on getting good data sim card for 5-6 month in Tokyo?
I see a lot of turists ones for 14 days-1 month and there's local ones too, not sure which would be more advisable.

I'm using a cheap data plan from Yamada Denki. It's probably your best option right now.

Btw, I have problems with my NESICA account registry. I input the name in Japanese ( I tried with kana and kanji ) but the webpage keeps denying it. Some ideas to spare?

Gromph

Staff Member
I'm using a cheap data plan from Yamada Denki. It's probably your best option right now.

Btw, I have problems with my NESICA account registry. I input the name in Japanese ( I tried with kana and kanji ) but the webpage keeps denying it. Some ideas to spare?

If you post the error will be more easy to help than doing estimated guess :)

Top Bottom