• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I will look into it.

My offer still stands about the other insanely hard to get in places. You get me in jiro your meal is on me.

It was impossible to make a reservation to Jiro when Evilore came to Japan.

Ayumi

I will look into it.

My offer still stands about the other insanely hard to get in places. You get me in jiro your meal is on me.

From what I heard, they don't allow people who don't speak fluent Japanese, or don't have a Japanese speaker with them. There is also a very big chance if you do get a reservation, it'll be in Roppongi and not Ginza.

You gotta call in the first day(s) of each month for a reservation the next month. And it needs to be someone fluent in Japanese who make the call. I think it's so strict that even if you're good at it, you'd want someone Japanese to call to make sure they don't just turn their back on you when they hear a foreign accent.

Actually a lot of people ask their hotel reception to call for them. But even so, you'd have to call from a certain hotel (like x amount of stars) to be considered.

Anyone know where I could buy a pair of size 29.5-30cm shoes/boots? I'm preferably looking for Timberlands or something similar because I feel trainers have been breaking on me too quickly over the past couple of years.

I'm based in Osaka, so if anyone knows anywhere around here that'd be cool, but online works for me as well. Already tried Amazon and they didn't go up to that size.

Ayumi

Anyone know where I could buy a pair of size 29.5-30cm shoes/boots? I'm preferably looking for Timberlands or something similar because I feel trainers have been breaking on me too quickly over the past couple of years.

I'm based in Osaka, so if anyone knows anywhere around here that'd be cool, but online works for me as well. Already tried Amazon and they didn't go up to that size.

It's worth searching on Rakuten (requires Japanese) although then you won't be able to try them on before buying, and each brand have very different sizes.

Have you tried ABC Mart? According to Google there are 3 different departments in Osaka.

It's worth searching on Rakuten (requires Japanese) although then you won't be able to try them on before buying, and each brand have very different sizes.

Have you tried ABC Mart? According to Google there are 3 different departments in Osaka.

I'll try it out, heard Japan's fairly decent regarding returns. Tried ABC Mart out here, they went up to 28 which I tried on. Too small :(

Ayumi

I'll try it out, heard Japan's fairly decent regarding returns. Tried ABC Mart out here, they went up to 28 which I tried on. Too small :(

There are a lot of results on Rakuten for size 30, I think that's your best bet really. But I think with a size that large you can't really be too picky with what kind of shoes you wanna wear either. #Iknowthefeeling

urfe

Kidding, right? Ever checked the ingredients of products sold in a convenience store? Full of crap. Yamazaki bread? Cancer pool. Seriously tho, I don't know how bad US food restrictions are, but Japan must be close to that if that's any indication.

As far as I remember, Japan has quite strict laws for GMO stuff and whatnot. Not sure how it would compare to continental Europe.

There are a lot of results on Rakuten for size 30, I think that's your best bet really. But I think with a size that large you can't really be too picky with what kind of shoes you wanna wear either. #Iknowthefeeling

Yeah, I figured boots like Timberlands would be easier to find in larger sizes, but it seems I was wrong.

dani_dc

Y'all ready for Taco Bell coming to Shibuya April 21st?

http://gori.me/news/culture/73500

To think I just needed to move to Japan to have the chance to eat af Taco Bell and Hooters!

I know you already ordered to Family Mart, but here is how it works at LAWSON.
When your package is here, you come in go to the Loppi machine, enter your info or whatever, and it prints you off a receipt with a barcode. You take it to the register, the employee scans it, and gets your package. If you have to pay for it you pay then. If you paid for it online already, then a sheet will print out, and you just sign your name, receive your receipt, then you are on your way.
Alternatively, there is a way via the Amazon website, to have the barcode appear right on your phone screen instead of having to use the machine. In that case we just scan your phone and get your package. In that situation you do not have to sign anything. Though if you don't have internet on your phone I guess that isn't an option.

Wait what? You can order from amazon to a convenience store?
I wasn't ordering anything from amazon due to living in a share house and lacking an individual post box, this might have changed my life.

kubus

Wait what? You can order from amazon to a convenience store?
I wasn't ordering anything from amazon due to living in a share house and lacking an individual post box, this might have changed my life.
Yep I picked up my order yesterday and I immediately placed another order after that, lol
This will grow into an addiction

This video explains how it works for Family Mart

It worked exactly the same when I went to pick up my amazon order yesterday

Have fun :D

Anyone in Osaka that wants to get silly tomorrow? I'm bored doing this shopping and cherry blossom stuff.

Damn, I would if I wasn't visitng Kobe with some friends. I'm always down to get silly.

I'm not sure how many people in here are in Osaka, but we should do an Osaka meet up some time.

As far as I remember, Japan has quite strict laws for GMO stuff and whatnot. Not sure how it would compare to continental Europe.
Too many loopholes to throw shitty products on the market. Europe is not perfect as far as GMO restrictions go, but it's lightyears ahead of Japan.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Damn, I would if I wasn't visitng Kobe with some friends. I'm always down to get silly.

I'm not sure how many people in here are in Osaka, but we should do an Osaka meet up some time.

I'm down for it. I'm busy this weekend and dead tired from work, but lets meet up some time.

I'm down for it. I'm busy this weekend and dead tired from work, but lets meet up some time.

Holy shit, you're in Osaka? I always recognise your avatar because of the whole Dudebro thing, which was probably one of the funniest things to happen on GAF imo haha.

I'm busy this weekend as well, but 18th works for me. Anyone else want in?

kubus

JapanGAF, I need your help :(

I'm not a very good eater. I eat slowly, am picky, and I get full from just eating small portions. So dining out in Japan is kind of a problem for me.

The bowls they serve when I order ramen are huge and while I love the food, I can usually only finish 2/3 of it as I'm already stuffed by then. I've had to leave my unfinished food a couple of times already and I feel so bad and rude about it :(. It's gotten to the point that I avoid Japanese restaurants and ramen shops because I'm afraid I can't finish the meal.

Is there anything I can do to avoid this? Like, is it normal to ask for a smaller bowl in advance and how would you normally ask this? I've seen a shop offering "ladies ramen" - could that be it? Or is there a way to formally apologize or something when leaving?

Thanks for your help >_<

Ayumi

I'm not a very good eater. I eat slowly, am picky, and I get full from just eating small portions. So dining out in Japan is kind of a problem for me.

The bowls they serve when I order ramen are huge and while I love the food, I can usually only finish 2/3 of it as I'm already stuffed by then. I've had to leave my unfinished food a couple of times already and I feel so bad and rude about it :(. It's gotten to the point that I avoid Japanese restaurants and ramen shops because I'm afraid I can't finish the meal.

Is there anything I can do to avoid this? Like, is it normal to ask for a smaller bowl in advance and how would you normally ask this? I've seen a shop offering "ladies ramen" - could that be it? Or is there a way to formally apologize or something when leaving?

Thanks for your help >_<

Honestly, unless you're eating with someone you consider important (authority like your boss inviting you out, etc), someone who pays for your meal, there is no shame in not finishing your food.

You are NOT the first person to eat 1/3rd of your ramen bowl. A loooot of people (every single day, in every shop) are just craving some ramen but aren't actually able to finish the bowl so they just leave it.

No need to apologise, in my opinion, unless you're in the company of someone who is paying for your food (then you let them know beforehand that you aren't that hungry).

Don't let it bother you! If you want to order half of something, try to see if they speak English first. If not then "hanbun" means half of something. It's mostly just for if you wanna save money though.

I find Japanese portions very small.. and most places have photos so you can see how much you're actually ordering. Those kind of places that don't usually just have a text menu in Japanese. What kind of places are you eating at?

(A tip is to always eat the noodles in the ramen bowl before you drink the broth, but I guess you know that already. If you do it that way, you'll be able to eat way more in the bowl)

kubus

Honestly, unless you're eating with someone you consider important (authority like your boss inviting you out, etc), someone who pays for your meal, there is no shame in not finishing your food.

You are NOT the first person to eat 1/3rd of your ramen bowl. A loooot of people (every single day, in every shop) are just craving some ramen but aren't actually able to finish the bowl so they just leave it.

No need to apologise, in my opinion, unless you're in the company of someone who is paying for your food (then you let them know beforehand that you aren't that hungry).

Don't let it bother you! If you want to order half of something, try to see if they speak English first. If not then "hanbun" means half of something. It's mostly just for if you wanna save money though.

I find Japanese portions very small.. and most places have photos so you can see how much you're actually ordering. Those kind of places that don't usually just have a text menu in Japanese. What kind of places are you eating at?

(A tip is to always eat the noodles in the ramen bowl before you drink the broth, but I guess you know that already. If you do it that way, you'll be able to eat way more in the bowl)
Thank you so much for this, I'm very relieved to read your post :D

I actually just came back from eating at a Yoshinoya-style place and had to leave food on my plate - AGAIN - so I felt really crappy when I left. I did learn to say "gochisousama deshita" when leaving so at least they hopefully know I enjoyed the food regardless.

I always heard that it's shameful to not finish your food in Japan, because it's a waste of food resources ("mottainai!") and stuff. Reading your post really made me feel better, haha. Though I'll keep trying to finish my food :mad:

I don't keep track of the names of the places I've eaten, but most of them at least had the name of the dishes in English. I've eaten at Yoshinoya and places that work with a similar system, but also in smaller, more personal ramen shops. Honestly I didn't expect that they actually served bowls the same size as in those preview windows with the fake food, haha. But I won't misjudge again :p. I can speak some Japanese so next time I'll simply ask if they serve smaller sizes, and if they don't, they're probably more understanding if I don't eat everything ^^

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I always heard that it's shameful to not finish your food in Japan, because it's a waste of food resources ("mottainai!") and stuff.

You heard this from Japanese people in Japan, right?

Gacha-pin

Thanks for your help >_<

I'm not an expert, but I think not only "mottainai" but a number of Japanese even feel guilty when they couldn't eat served dishes all. Considering the amount of food disposal in Japan, this is kind of an irony though. This type of stuff (view on food) is not Japan only thing??

If you are not confortable with the volume of the dishes, tell &#12372;&#39151;&#23569;&#12394;&#12417;&#12391;(gohan sukuname de), &#40634;&#23569;&#12394;&#12417;&#12391;(men sukuname de), &#20855;&#23569;&#12394;&#12417;&#12391;(gu sukuame de) when you order. And as for ramen, soba and udon, leaving soup isn't considered a bad manner.

kubus

You heard this from Japanese people in Japan, right?
Well no, I've only heard stories. But that's why I'm asking here, because I'm not sure how it is really looked upon here.

I'm not an expert, but I think not only "mottainai" but a number of Japanese even feel guilty when they couldn't eat served dishes all. Considering the amount of food disposal in Japan, this is kind of an irony though. This type of stuff (view on food) is not Japan only thing??

If you are not confortable with the volume of the dishes, tell &#12372;&#39151;&#23569;&#12394;&#12417;&#12391;(gohan sukuname de), &#40634;&#23569;&#12394;&#12417;&#12391;(men sukuname de), &#20855;&#23569;&#12394;&#12417;&#12391;(gu sukuame de) when you order. And as for ramen, soba and udon, leaving soup isn't considered a bad manner.
Thank you for the information and phrases, very helpful! Didn't know leaving soup isn't considered bad manner :).

urfe

Thank you so much for this, I'm very relieved to read your post :D

I actually just came back from eating at a Yoshinoya-style place and had to leave food on my plate - AGAIN - so I felt really crappy when I left. I did learn to say "gochisousama deshita" when leaving so at least they hopefully know I enjoyed the food regardless.

I always heard that it's shameful to not finish your food in Japan, because it's a waste of food resources ("mottainai!") and stuff. Reading your post really made me feel better, haha. Though I'll keep trying to finish my food :mad:

I don't keep track of the names of the places I've eaten, but most of them at least had the name of the dishes in English. I've eaten at Yoshinoya and places that work with a similar system, but also in smaller, more personal ramen shops. Honestly I didn't expect that they actually served bowls the same size as in those preview windows with the fake food, haha. But I won't misjudge again :p. I can speak some Japanese so next time I'll simply ask if they serve smaller sizes, and if they don't, they're probably more understanding if I don't eat everything ^^

Japan is a very wasteful country with food. Not that wasting food is good, but you're the customer, and as they say in Japan, "the customer is God".

kubus

Besides if he's white then &#12300;&#12375;&#12423;&#12358;&#12364;&#12394;&#12356;&#12301;
Haha, I'm actually a she and a Dutch/Chinese &#12495;&#12540;&#12501;, and I do have mostly asian looks (eyes, hair). I think they know from my appearance that I'm not Japanese but I'm never completely sure. Sometimes the people here just start ranting in Japanese at me and I then I wonder if they would've also done that if I had looked more like a "foreigner", you know.

It has its advantages and disadvantages. I like that I can mostly fit in and be treated naturally, but sometimes I wish people would know that I'm not a native and be a little more helpful/understanding. But I'm still kind of clumsy with my Japanese so they figure it out soon enough anyway :p.

Ayumi

Haha, I'm actually a she and a Dutch/Chinese &#12495;&#12540;&#12501;, and I do have mostly asian looks (eyes, hair). I think they know from my appearance that I'm not Japanese but I'm never completely sure. Sometimes the people here just start ranting in Japanese at me and I then I wonder if they would've also done that if I had looked more like a "foreigner", you know.

It has its advantages and disadvantages. I like that I can mostly fit in and be treated naturally, but sometimes I wish people would know that I'm not a native and be a little more helpful/understanding. But I'm still kind of clumsy with my Japanese so they figure it out soon enough anyway :p.

Chinese and Koreans (especially half Asians) are usually easy to distinguish from Japanese! It doesn't really matter what you look like, Japanese will talk to you in Japanese at first.

When I worked in a store I would always stick to the main language even if the customers looked foreign, because you never really know who speaks the language or not. I would feel REALLY embarrassed if I greeted them in English, only to figure out they weren't foreign after all/or able to speak the language fluently.

dani_dc

Yep I picked up my order yesterday and I immediately placed another order after that, lol
This will grow into an addiction

This video explains how it works for Family Mart

It worked exactly the same when I went to pick up my amazon order yesterday

Have fun :D

Many thanks, ordered a 64GB SD card for my 3DS, lets see how it goes, should be be here tomorrow.

I feel really bad for thinking you were a white american male now.

To be fair, sometimes Japanese people keep talking in Japanese after I addressed them in English and me clearly not understanding any of it, and I look nothing like a local.

So I just nod and say "hai".

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
To be fair, sometimes Japanese people keep talking in Japanese after I addressed them in English and me clearly not understanding any of it, and I look nothing like a local.

So I just nod and say "hai".
That's... unusual. I haven't come across any situations like this, but most foreigners who complain about "microaggressions" are annoyed that Japanese people keep talking to them in broken English, even when you use Japanese.

Jintor

Yeah I dunno, being able to engage Asian Stealth Mode has its advantages and disadvantages. Not getting attention is good most of the time but pretty rubbish when out clubbing for instance (not that you get any good conversation in clubs anyway I guess so whatevs)

Went down to Mt Yoshino for Hanami today with the folks who are up from Australia. Enjoyed it. Although to be honest I might have enjoyed playing Rune Factory 4 on the train over a teensy bit more.

dani_dc

That's... unusual. I haven't come across any situations like this, but most foreigners who complain about "microaggressions" are annoyed that Japanese people keep talking to them in broken English, even when you use Japanese.

Really? Uh.

My experience, and that of the other people at my work that I talked to, is that it's really hard to find Japanese people that will actually speak to you in English. I was honestly a bit surprised by how difficult it is to find someone that actually speaks English.

Didn't know leaving soup isn't considered bad manner :).
It isn't. Actually I don't know anybody that does eat up Ramen completely. Also, don't eat Ramen until the last drop, even if you're hungry. Super unhealthy. Once after walking back home from a bar with a friend of mine (both being drunk) we decided to eat some Ramen. When the Taisho noticed I drunk the whole soup (I knew it's not good but I was SO hungry lol) he got super mad at me asking me if I know how bad it is for the body lol.

Ayumi

Haha, I sometimes eat up my the soup too! But it depends on which ramen it is and ship shop it's from. It's really hard to resist drinking up the shiromaru ramen broth from Ippudo..

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
It isn't. Actually I don't know anybody that does eat up Ramen completely. Also, don't eat Ramen until the last drop, even if you're hungry. Super unhealthy. Once after walking back home from a bar with a friend of mine (both being drunk) we decided to eat some Ramen. When the Taisho noticed I drunk the whole soup (I knew it's not good but I was SO hungry lol) he got super mad at me asking me if I know how bad it is for the body lol.

Haha, I sometimes eat up my the soup too! But it depends on which ramen it is and ship shop it's from. It's really hard to resist drinking up the shiromaru ramen broth from Ippudo..

I always drink all the soup.

In fact i go to ramen shop where if you finish all you have free topping coupon for 2 months.

Speaking of food.

I always eat what my body ask, if i need to leave food i leave it and i dont feel bad at all.

Ayumi

Yeah, I don't care too much if I have to leave food, but I usually don't. But my grandparents are French so whenever I go to Europe to visit them, I have to finish the entire plate (and I use the bread to wipe the plate clean).

Sometimes I leave food here if it tastes really bad.. But that doesn't happen often. Yesterday we went to a diner and they served me undercooked fish & chips. After complaining and getting a new plate, it was still raw so I refused to eat it nor pay for it.

Ayumi

Saw that news a few days ago, very sad :(

Mind-blowing facts to make you realize how old she really was:

- She was born in the 1800s!
- She lived though WW1 was already 47 during WW2
- She was a widow for 84 years!
- She outlived 1 of her children and her son is already 92 years old

dani_dc

Mind-blowing facts to make you realize how old she really was:

- She was born in the 1800s!
- She lived though WW1 was already 47 during WW2
- She was a widow for 84 years!
- She outlived 1 of her children and her son is already 92 years old

It's really crazy, though I'm surprised she didn't outlive all her kids considering her age. Her being a widow for that long really depress me though.

I actually found out about her death the day I visited the Meiji shrine and where I spent some time wondering how many people were alive today that were alive during the Meiji era and how many of those would even be old enough to remember it :(

Ayumi

It's really crazy, though I'm surprised she didn't outlive all her kids considering her age. Her being a widow for that long really depress me though.

I actually found out about her death the day I visited the Meiji shrine and where I spent some time wondering how many people were alive today that were alive during the Meiji era and how many of those would even be old enough to remember it :(

It's crazy how much she has been through, and that she didn't want to get married again.. choosing to be a widow for 84 years. But I'm glad they had children together before he died so she could get to experience having grandchildren. :3

I believe she didn't get married twice because she was already 33ish when he passed, and she would perhaps be in her 40s when she felt "recovered" from it.. and that's generally not really an age people get married at in Japan. Especially when she is from that time, she already passed the age where you were "supposed" to get married. There is also the "importance" of living independently, being stronger than being married. She probably already felt accomplished too, with 3 children. :3

Jaffaboy

So guys, when are the elections? I've just moved into my apartment in Nagoya and there hasn't been a day gone by that I haven't had to endure these ridiculous vans driving around with megaphones. This shit is grating on me so much I even had a dream last night where I was throwing eggs at them. When will it end? Oh god pls be soon...

Sakura

Ok, so I'm going back to Canada next month. And I have a few questions about moving out. If anybody has any experience I'd be grateful for the information!

How do I go about dealing with my utilities and stuff? Do I just call and say, hey I'm leaving, peace? When you move out do the real estate people usually ask for more money? For locks or tatami mats or something?

What is the best way to go about getting my stuff back to Canada? When I came my suitcases were already pretty much full. And as I'm sure you can imagine in the year I've been here I've acquired things. Is it easy to just ship things back home? I've got a Wii U and PS4 now, in addition to the PS3 I brought. I'm not sure I really understand the rules on shipping things with batteries and all that in them. And I'm somewhat worried about them getting damaged. When I brought my PS3 here, a number of my game cases were cracked/damaged.

How about getting rid of the junk I have in my place? Can I just buy &#31895;&#22823;&#12468;&#12511; stickers, throw them on my TV and kotatsu and junk, and leave it outside?

Also, question about my phone. I currently have a 2 year contract with Softbank. The first year is up this July. I'm planning on bringing my phone with me and continuing to pay. As long as I turn off the data and roaming I should be fine right? Can I still get mail if I connect to wifi?

Ayumi

Ok, so I'm going back to Canada next month. And I have a few questions about moving out. If anybody has any experience I'd be grateful for the information!

How do I go about dealing with my utilities and stuff? Do I just call and say, hey I'm leaving, peace? When you move out do the real estate people usually ask for more money? For locks or tatami mats or something?

What is the best way to go about getting my stuff back to Canada? When I came my suitcases were already pretty much full. And as I'm sure you can imagine in the year I've been here I've acquired things. Is it easy to just ship things back home? I've got a Wii U and PS4 now, in addition to the PS3 I brought. I'm not sure I really understand the rules on shipping things with batteries and all that in them. And I'm somewhat worried about them getting damaged. When I brought my PS3 here, a number of my game cases were cracked/damaged.

How about getting rid of the junk I have in my place? Can I just buy &#31895;&#22823;&#12468;&#12511; stickers, throw them on my TV and kotatsu and junk, and leave it outside?

Also, question about my phone. I currently have a 2 year contract with Softbank. The first year is up this July. I'm planning on bringing my phone with me and continuing to pay. As long as I turn off the data and roaming I should be fine right? Can I still get mail if I connect to wifi?
Your rental contract should say whether you need to pay extra, not getting your deposit back or getting it back. It's different from each agency so check your contract in according to how long you have lived there, etc. And I think you need to let them know a month before you leave. It should all be in your contract.

I would put the consoles in the suitcase/bring on the flight and then ship the lighter stuff. Dunno what's cheapest but it's at least safer for your consoles.

Check Google for detailed instructions on how to use sodai gomi stickers where you live. The pick-ups are scheduled. If you wanna save money, put them up on Craigslist for free, if people can pick them up themselves.

Softbank does not send invoiced abroad (you can probably still pay if you get automatically charged from your international bank account). You won't be able to unlock or use the phone abroad anyway, so why bring it? It'll probably be cheaper to cancel and then sell the phone than paying for a service you can't even use. Also you can only cancel in person, I believe, so you wouldn't be able to it from Canada. Meaning you'd have to keep paying after your 2 years is up, until you came back to Japn. You can cancel from their Narita booth too on your way out but people say this place is AWFUL and very hostile. Also, once you cancel, it will be done immediately. You can't ask for extra time. Again, read your contract/check your plan and its rules.

I really don't mean to sound rude but it's very easy to find answers to your questions on Google. I would also suggest you call SoftBank to hear your options.

Sakura

Your rental contract should say whether you need to pay extra, not getting your deposit back or getting it back. It's different from each agency so check your contract in according to how long you have lived there, etc. And I think you need to let them know a month before you leave. It should all be in your contract.
I know I need to let them know a month before I leave, but she was saying to call them so they can do an inspection or whatever. The thing is this place was already a dump before I moved in, and I'm a little worried they will try to make me pay extra or something >_<

I would put the consoles in the suitcase/bring on the flight and then ship the lighter stuff. Dunno what's cheapest but it's at least safer for your consoles.
Well see that's the thing. I brought my PS3 and games over to Japan in my suitcase, but when I arrived and got my stuff, the cases for several of my games were busted, and there was a big dent in my steelbook Dark Souls 2 games. I'm not sure I trust Air Canada with my stuff on the way back. But at the same time I don't want to pay like, 100 dollars just to mail my systems. Oh well, I'll have to figure something out...

Softbank does not send invoiced abroad (you can probably still pay if you get automatically charged from your international bank account). You won't be able to unlock or use the phone abroad anyway, so why bring it? It'll probably be cheaper to cancel and then sell the phone than paying for a service you can't even use. Also you can only cancel in person, I believe, so you wouldn't be able to it from Canada. Meaning you'd have to keep paying after your 2 years is up, until you came back to Japn. You can cancel from their Narita booth too on your way out but people say this place is AWFUL and very hostile. Also, once you cancel, it will be done immediately. You can't ask for extra time. Again, read your contract/check your plan and its rules.
My payments are automatic from my bank account. I was just gonna send money to my bank account to keep the payments going. I was thinking I might go back to Japan in a year or so, so it would be convenient to have a cell phone and stuff from the getgo, and the same number and what not. I'm just not sure if I can still use the functions like Softbank mail and whatever over wifi in Canada. I've been trying to search the website, but I can only seem to find information on roaming charges and international plans and stuff. I just want to know what I can do over wifi (if anything).

I really don't mean to sound rude but it's very easy to find answers to your questions on Google. I would also suggest you call SoftBank to hear your options.
I wanted to ask Japan GAF in case they had experience with my questions or wanted to share their opinions on the matter. If you didn't want to reply then you didn't have to ^-^;
Though I thank you for doing so all the same.

Ayumi

I replied because I wanted to help.. and I understand you wanted experience, but I still wanted to write it in case you don't find anyone on here with experience in everything you asked.

By the way, I personally would not recommend taking your Softbank phone abroad even if it's just for Wi-Fi. If the Wi-Fi dies without you noticing, the roaming is INSANELY expensive, even just for one single minute. It sounds super scary if you're gonna use automatic bank payments too.. Unless you're gonna use an empty debit account and send just enough money month by month.

Also hm, I think maybe you can reduce your plan with Softbank once your 2 years are up, to choose the cheapest plan. Would be really helpful, when paying for service you won't be able to use. Or, I'm not sure if they do this, but maybe you can actually pause your service for a fee with them once the contract is up until you're back. It's worth asking though.

About your Softbank e-mail: It's data (MMS) based so it won't work without actual data. (I tested a few ways just to be sure.) :<

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Sakura, if you're using an iPhone, just turn off sending data without wifi and you're done. You can also take out your sim card, since it's not required for most "smart" features of the phone and you'll basically have a mini iPad.
I brought my Softbank iPhone 4 with me back to my country between my scholarship and returning here to work (6 months) and had 0 problems. I left enough money in my Japanese bank account to be sure that it will be enough for the phone bills and kept using the same phone/number when I returned here.

Ayumi

Speaking of cell phones, I'll need to buy one soon. Who would you recommend between Docomo/Au/Softbank?

Not sure how accurate this is, but it should be somewhat accurate since it was posted August last year. http://www.nippon.com/en/currents/d00127/
http://xn--iphone6-9m4fk97v9e7e.com/iphone6-speed-test/

If you want an iPhone, SoftBank is the most popular with the most knowledge. It is also the one I personally recommend. I have White Plan on my iPhone 6 with Softbank.

You live in Japan and will stay for at least two years, right? If not, better be extra cautious when it comes to contracts and rules (regarding cancellation as they can be very expensive, etc).

Ayumi

I'd probably prefer an Android, although an iPhone wouldn't be the end of the world.
Most of my friends who use Android use au. You could check the websites on which Androids they have (au, SoftBank and DoCoMo) and compare prices.

I think one of the biggest downsides of SoftBank's iPhones is that they will not unlock the phone for you.

Sakura

I replied because I wanted to help.. and I understand you wanted experience, but I still wanted to write it in case you don't find anyone on here with experience in everything you asked.

By the way, I personally would not recommend taking your Softbank phone abroad even if it's just for Wi-Fi. If the Wi-Fi dies without you noticing, the roaming is INSANELY expensive, even just for one single minute. It sounds super scary if you're gonna use automatic bank payments too.. Unless you're gonna use an empty debit account and send just enough money month by month.

Also hm, I think maybe you can reduce your plan with Softbank once your 2 years are up, to choose the cheapest plan. Would be really helpful, when paying for service you won't be able to use. Or, I'm not sure if they do this, but maybe you can actually pause your service for a fee with them once the contract is up until you're back. It's worth asking though.

About your Softbank e-mail: It's data (MMS) based so it won't work without actual data. (I tested a few ways just to be sure.) :<

There is an option to turn off mobile data in the settings so I'm not too worried about it suddenly switching to roaming.
Also, a completely unrelated question, my phone is supposedly water proof. But there is the headphone jack and the charging port thingy. If my phone got wet wouldn't water get in there and be bad?

Speaking of cell phones, I'll need to buy one soon. Who would you recommend between Docomo/Au/Softbank?
I think the new models of phones come out in May or June, so you might want to wait a little bit.
Personally, I would just see what specific phone you want, and then see what carrier has it as they don't all have the same phones.

Top Bottom