• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

Dingens

I'm not a visitor—I'm moving back there next week.
I've been posting in this thread since it started. ;__;

that's why I wrote "not related" and "for friends" ;)
It's more like a general recommendation...

about softbank: I'm not a huge fan of contract phones... after all, you'll be stuck with a locked phone, which, in the long run, is usually more expensive than just buying one and getting a cheap sim card.

I've been talking to a few friends on Monday about this stuff actually. I can't remember why, but at least 2 of them weren't particularly happy with their Softbank contract and are going to switch to Docomo soon. Depending on your needs, there are also a few other non-softbank and non-docomo alternatives and from what I've been told, they're worth looking into.

edit: seems like the taifun has arrived! yay

Aizo

Banned
The reason I brought up Softbank and AU specifically is because cellular reception coverage in Shimane with Docomo (or probably other networks) is not very good.

urfe

The reason I brought up Softbank and AU specifically is because cellular reception coverage in Shimane with Docomo (or probably other networks) is not very good.

I can't imagine Docomo not being the best for reception, but all three should have detailed info on their coverage.

So.... I'm on summer vacation with no income till October which means I'm looking at my savings and me sitting at home because of budget.. I would rather be working 5 days a week and having fun those 2 weekend days.

What are the valid options in Japan now for male foreigners with instructors visa for making money quickly? I need something that doesn't take that long to onboard(finding some weekend job would take at least 2-3 weeks to start I suppose)

I think stuff like find a teacher .net etc is a dead zone now..

You could always do freelance translation.

I'm like 6 years behind in job finding in Japan. Any suggestions on where to get started job hunt wise for these? I actually have professional translation experience at a major corporation/ JLPT N1/ Japan university experience.
Not just like one of those people who have JLTP3 being like alright I can translate!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm like 6 years behind in job finding in Japan. Any suggestions on where to get started job hunt wise for these? I actually have professional translation experience at a major corporation/ JLPT N1/ Japan university experience.
Not just like one of those people who have JLTP3 being like alright I can translate!
I meant freelance translation on your own, but since I haven't done it myself (I do enough translation in my day job), I don't really know where to look for offers.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I was going to suggest shit but you're on the typical weeb visa so.. what else is there but private tutoring or doing J->E on the side. If you need under the table shit head to the docks and carry some boxes.

Jijidasu

I was going to suggest shit but you're on the typical weeb visa so.. what else is there but private tutoring or doing J->E on the side. If you need under the table shit head to the docks and carry some boxes.

Surely you could offer more constructive feedback and not insult people? I feel like whenever you post you introduce such a hostile, arrogant atmosphere into this place. If you really are an "expert" how about you try offer your experiences in a friendlier way?

I don't post in here often but many times I find myself getting pointed to this thread to see people seeking honest help and advice. Let's keep this thread a place where such things can be done without being rude.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Surely you could offer more constructive feedback and not insult people? I feel like whenever you post you introduce such a hostile, arrogant atmosphere into this place. If you really are an "expert" how about you try offer your experiences in a friendlier way?

I don't post in here often but many times I find myself getting pointed to this thread to see people seeking honest help and advice. Let's keep this thread a place where such things can be done without being rude.
Completely agree. There's a difference between being frank and presenting your opinions in an insulting manner.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Surely you could offer more constructive feedback and not insult people? I feel like whenever you post you introduce such a hostile, arrogant atmosphere into this place. If you really are an "expert" how about offer your experiences in a friendly way?

Yes, yes. You're now the 900th person in 8 years to tell me how mean I am. Great. Now what. Here's the nuance of my posting style - I keepz it realz. And most people like it. I know they do because they pm with hundreds of questions and for advice. All. The. Fucking. Time. One, they like the wealth of knowledge I have. Two, they like that I don't surgarcoat shit like most nerds. Three, they know if they post their question in a thread they gotz to get rekt first. It works out.

FFDog has been in Japan many a time, he's not a fuckin idiot. He knows exactly what his options are. I don't need to tell him to use a site or register for Haro. What else does he want to know? He can front desk a hostel, he can bartend, he can do tours, he can make youtube videos. Unless he finds a very specific situation none of this is going to be under the table so his visa is an issue. So. Again. What other options does he have than what I mentioned. I was serious about the docks btw.

C'mon man, drop your free knowledge on everyone so we can use it as a reference for future questions. By all means, be the hero they deserve as clearly I am not.

Completely agree. There's a difference between being frank and presenting your opinions in an insulting manner.

I wasn't presenting my opinion in an insulting manner, I was insulting anyone who is teaching in Japan like I always do. Big difference. One is pussy shit, one is keepzing it realz.

Edit: oh, I forgot, if he's tall and white he can be a token priest at weddings. Dat quick cash

It's been a satisfying 8 years living in Japan but it's time to leave. I just said my final farewells to all of my schools. I'll be flying out mid September and will miss TGS, which I'm totally bummed about as I'm curious what SEGA is going to announce concerning them turning a new leaf.

I'll miss the simple, easy going lifestyle here but I feel my calling is back in the US.. If I worked as a direct hire English teacher any longer I know I wouldn't want to let go. It was already hard enough as it was too just to resolve myself to commit to the decision to leave.

My wife is behind the decision 100% and looks forward to ditching her overtime laden Japanese job with a more open American one. I'm happy for her as well all I could already see the Japanese with system taking its toll on her. As for me,I'm just looking forward to a change of careers in the IT field thanks to a friend back home but man those long holidays will be severely missed!

I've got a pretty large savings that we need to send back to the US. Carrying it in cash is obviously way out of the question and I think remittances are capped at a certain amount, maybe I'm wrong, I use Shinsei. Other than that, I think we're set. Do any of you know a way to send large amounts of yen to your own bank account in the US? Getting charged 2000 yen each time is no fun and the exchange rate ain't helping either. Watching my savings value lose 20% of its value since 2012 really smarts. Ah well, that's what I get for not investing I guess.

Jijidasu

That's great. But he still asked a question and I never saw him ask for a side of ore-sama fries on the side.

I want people to come in here and feel comfortable about Japan and why they might come here. Not to be stereotyped into class-act idiot anime otaku which you seem to be so thoroughly pursuing. Not everyone comes here with such a goal, but for those who do they should be free to do so without the harassment or negativity you introduce to the topic.

I'm an expert

It's been a satisfying 8 years living in Japan but it's time to leave. I just said my final farewells to all of my schools. I'll be flying out mid September and will miss TGS, which I'm totally bummed about as I'm curious what SEGA is going to announce concerning them turning a new leaf.

I'll miss the simple, easy going lifestyle here but I feel my calling is back in the US.. If I worked as a direct hire English teacher any longer I know I wouldn't want to let go. It was already hard enough as it was too just to resolve myself to commit to the decision to leave.

My wife is behind the decision 100% and looks forward to ditching her overtime laden Japanese job with a more open American one. I'm happy for her as well all I could already see the Japanese with system taking its toll on her. As for me,I'm just looking forward to a change of careers in the IT field thanks to a friend back home but man those long holidays will be severely missed!

I've got a pretty large savings that we need to send back to the US. Carrying it in cash is obviously way out of the question and I think remittances are capped at a certain amount, maybe I'm wrong, I use Shinsei. Other than that, I think we're set. Do any of you know a way to send large amounts of yen to your own bank account in the US? Getting charged 2000 yen each time is no fun and the exchange rate ain't helping either. Watching my savings value lose 20% of its value since 2012 really smarts. Ah well, that's what I get for not investing I guess.

Did you really just stash your shit in an account for years and let it sit? Yes, you fucked up not investing but that's a general point. I don't know why there needs to be an "each time" though. Throw it all back. I'm constantly throwing $2-300k back and forth between my accounts when I'm moving back and forth. Remember, you've already declared it on your taxes so besides the transaction and forex g/l you're not really losing anything. I got lucky on my last big move for this assignment as it was pretty close to after the earthquake. Chaching. Are you back for good? You can empty your pension as well, but you should watch the timing on that too. I know a lot of people who initiated it at a good forex point but by the time it came the spot rate killed them.

That's great. But he still asked a question and I never saw him ask for a side of ore-sama fries on the side.

I want people to come in here and feel comfortable about Japan and why they might come here. Not to be stereotyped into class-act idiot anime otaku which you seem to be so thoroughly pursuing. Not everyone comes here with such a goal, but for those who do they should be free to do so without the harassment or negativity you introduce to the topic.

My fault. Forgot this was your thread. With how much you contribute to it, you should definitely be able to tell me what to post.

Back for good. Honestly this all came together over the span of a year. I never really knew I'd be coming back till then. Then I'll just throw it all back in one lump sum. That's going to be fun going to the bank for.

I'm an expert

I never claimed it to mine or any other's thread. And I said I didn't post because while I could, you generally get it done faster. I just don't agree with the attitude but be it as it may.

I stand by my opinion that stereotyping this, that and the people here paints the wrong kind of image and is off putting. Oh well!

So post more in the thread to counterbalance my bullshit. I barely post in here as well since a certain someone, who I can't name because they google their name every five minutes, was jumping on every post like an Irish guy jumps on an ugly J-chick.

Gacha-pin

Aizoは島根好きなの?これどう思う?
65a6631e.jpg
Bj_FUAECUAIwKgi.jpg

神戸より西は行ったことない。砂丘観てみたい;p

kubus

So post more in the thread to counterbalance my bullshit. I barely post in here as well since a certain someone, who I can't name because they google their name every five minutes, was jumping on every post like an Irish guy jumps on an ugly J-chick.
If you're going to insult Ayumi, at least have the guts to just say it.

How hard is it to act a little civilized. I don't care if you don't sugarcoat your posts and tell it like it is, just stop labeling and insulting people while you do it.

Aizo

Banned
Honestly not really bothered by expert's posts. He sometimes has some good info, and he knows he's an ass. No big deal. Some guy on the internet doesn't really offend me.
Aizoは島根好きなの?これどう思う?
65a6631e.jpg
Bj_FUAECUAIwKgi.jpg

神戸より西は行ったことない。砂丘観てみたい;p
Haha. I don't know what to think of this yet, because I'm moving to Shimane for the first time!
Still, pretty funny. I think it was a big deal when they got their first Starbucks.
Tottori will be pretty close, and I have a friend there, so I intend to see the dunes!

I wasn't presenting my opinion in an insulting manner, I was insulting anyone who is teaching in Japan like I always do. Big difference. One is pussy shit, one is keepzing it realz.

Edit: oh, I forgot, if he's tall and white he can be a token priest at weddings. Dat quick cash

I`m actually the mess up that has lived here all but two years of my life and never gotten around to getting a permanent resident visa (what a fun surprise I had when I found out the amount of years you`ve lived here required for the visa resets if you leave and come back) .

Just need something to bring in extra or temp income - haven`t had the need for many years- and see if there was anything that people were using nowadays like find a teacher. Hello work isn`t going to help with this.

I'm an expert

If you're going to insult Ayumi, at least have the guts to just say it.

How hard is it to act a little civilized. I don't care if you don't sugarcoat your posts and tell it like it is, just stop labeling and insulting people while you do it.

this post cracked me up for multiple reasons. Amazing

Gacha-pin

Honestly not really bothered by expert's posts. He sometimes has some good info, and he knows he's an ass. No big deal. Some guy on the internet doesn't really offend me.

Haha. I don't know what to think of this yet, because I'm moving to Shimane for the first time!
Still, pretty funny. I think it was a big deal when they got their first Starbucks.
Tottori will be pretty close, and I have a friend there, so I intend to see the dunes!

そうなんだ。住み良いところだと良いね。
島根の知識ゼロなので自分は正直言うと半分近くは意味分からなかったよ。

東京版は流石に全部理解できたしいくつかは実際に使ったことあったw

Desmond

Are you dissing me too here? lol, I've barely posted in this thread.

Aizo

Banned
東京版は流石に全部理解できたしいくつかは実際に使ったことあったw
I can relate a lot more to the tokyo one. Haha
今日も混んでるな電車ってw
Even better is 落ち着け。ダンジョンじゃない。駅だ。
I've definitely been in some creepy looking stations.

Well, now that the "expert" is banned, maybe I can get a question answered without being insulted for living in Japan. . .

I posted a few days about me moving back to the US. Over the past eight years I've accumulated a lot of games and hardware and was wondering if there were any shipping service cheaper than the post office for shipping bulk, heavy parcels. I will be taking the most valuable items with me as checked luggage, but for the rest, are there any services that will send my stuff safely and at a reasonable price to the US? I'm especially interested in being able to send devices with li-ion batteries in them. I've gotten nothing but headaches from kuroneko and the post office, do they still have the same boneheaded rule about sending things with batteries?

Thanks guys. I'm going to miss living here but not the humid summers! This summer is no exception!

Aizo

Banned
Moving internationally sucks. I'm interested to hear about recommended options for moving lots of hardware, too.

Dingens

depends...
a friend of mine used http://www.asiantigers-mobility.com/home.aspx when moving to and from japan. But as you'd imagine, their service isn't cheap... only recommended if you're shipping heavy and bulky stuff such as furniture...

for lighter duty, I'm also looking for a solution at the moment... I don't own enough stuff to justify a container (like above), but I do own some bulky thinks like my bike or a futon...

kubus

Anyone of you going to see the Sumida Fireworks this saturday?
Kinda wanna go but I've been told it gets so crowded to the point that you won't even be able to see anything.

View from the Sky Tree must be amazing when the fireworks go up.

depends...
a friend of mine used http://www.asiantigers-mobility.com/home.aspx when moving to and from japan. But as you'd imagine, their service isn't cheap... only recommended if you're shipping heavy and bulky stuff such as furniture...

for lighter duty, I'm also looking for a solution at the moment... I don't own enough stuff to justify a container (like above), but I do own some bulky thinks like my bike or a futon...

I see. I'm not sending anything big as furniture. Mostly odd boxes of periphrials and other gaming hardware. I guess post office it is Thanks

It appears the battery rule has been revised since I last tried to ship a Vita a few years back. They are using common sense again. Good.

http://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/use/restriction/restriction02_en.pdf

Any recommendation for a specific shop to buy suits from in Tokyo? I was thinking of just going to The Suit Company in Shinjuku.

I'm curious about how much you'll end up paying.
I always got mine from Aoki or Aoyama. If you have an Aeon branded mall nearby, their brand suits are fair priced as well and they'll take the time to fit and tailor it to you like any other big box stores.

As for shipping, I'll report back once I commit to a method.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member

Hachimaki

Anyone have experience living in Kumamoto? I'll be moving there next month to a town called Mushashi ga oka.

Only visited the Kyushu area for a week a couple years ago traveling around. I know the weather is really hot and humid during the summer, but how about the fall and winter?

I'm trying to decide if I should bring more sweaters or lighter clothing.

Also, during my interview the recruiter mentioned that it would take up to a month to install internet in the apartment. Is there a reason why it takes that long?

Jintor

Also, during my interview the recruiter mentioned that it would take up to a month to install internet in the apartment. Is there a reason why it takes that long?

bro i already had fibre optic installed in my apartment before i arrived and it STILL took a month to install internet. i dunno man

urfe

bro i already had fibre optic installed in my apartment before i arrived and it STILL took a month to install internet. i dunno man

There's setting up an appointment with the provider and then doing the actual construction if there's no hikari fibre yet. Always takes a while for me due to being weekends only, but I'd imagine weekdays should be okay?

Macrotus

during my interview the recruiter mentioned that it would take up to a month to install internet in the apartment. Is there a reason why it takes that long?

I wasn't aware that installing fibre took that long.

But when I Googled, the official website mentioned it.
I guess its not like your recruiter is slow, but is a standard.
https://flets.com/first/kouji/single_unit.html

ご予約は約1ヵ月前から受け付けておりますので、引越しシーズンなどは余裕を持ってご連絡ください。

Maybe lots of people in line?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Yeah, a month is a normal waiting time, no matter if you have the cable or not.
When I first moved to my own apartment I was really lucky - I had all the cables in the wall and despite telling me that I'll have to wait for a month, I got a call a few days later that I can just start using my connection.

Hachimaki

Thanks for the responses.

I'll just have to deal with it or the person currently living in the apartment can help me out with the Internet situation. Maybe signing off the current plan to me would be ideal.

inafking

I am now back in Tokyo. See some of you soon--even more of you if we did a meetup next weekend!

It's currently raining. No wonder why they call it rainy season!

Does the rain calm the heat a little? When I went there in late August it sure helped being cloudy and more when it was raining (^_^)

It's currently raining. No wonder why they call it rainy season!

Does the rain calm the heat a little? When I went there in late August it sure helped being cloudy and more when it was raining (^_^)
I don't notice much of a change but it is a refreshing change from the sun scorching everything all day. It usually stays just as humid and hot unless you are fortunate to live in the mountains or are in a thunderstorm.

inafking

I don't notice much of a change but it is a refreshing change from the sun scorching everything all day. It usually stays just as humid and hot unless you are fortunate to live in the mountains or are in a thunderstorm.

It must be weird since when I arrived it was hot as hell but I noticed a big change when it was cloudy or raining. I don't know if I got used to it so fast.

On a different note, has anyone got the guts to go to Tokyo Summerland Wave Pool this season?. It can get ridiculously crowded. I can't imagine being there with armpits sticking in my face ROFL!

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
It must be weird since when I arrived it was hot as hell but I noticed a big change when it was cloudy or raining. I don't know if I got used to it so fast.

On a different note, has anyone got the guts to go to Tokyo Summerland Wave Pool this season?. It can get ridiculously crowded. I can't imagine being there with armpits sticking in my face ROFL!

Just be careful :)

<Tattoo>
Management strictly prohibits the entry of persons affiliated with crime syndicates and persons with tattoos (including non-permanent body stickers and body paint) into Tokyo Summerland. People found ignoring this rule will be asked to leave. Please note that admission fees are non-refundable.

Top Bottom