• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

Dingens

Thinking about looking for the Fire Emblem Amiibos. Anyone have a good Amiibo spot in the Tokyo area?

I'd assume that there should be at least 1 shop somewhere around Akihabara. I haven't been there in a while, but mandarake seems like a save bet. I'm somewhat curious myself, so if somebody got any better ideas...

I've been talking to a friend the other day who's going to leave Japan for good soon, and he told me that you have to leave your Zairyu-card at the airport... I was kinda hoping to keep it as some kind of souvenir when I'm leaving, so that bummed me out. Now I'm thinking of ways to keep it while leaving the country and came up with a idea that might work:
with certain kinds of visa (mine included) you need to fill out a few forms when leaving the country in order to being able to re-enter at a later date - and you get to keep your card obviously.
So I was thinking about filling out those forms without actually coming back. Do you think I could get into trouble when trying to re-enter Japan using a tourist visa or something a few months/years later?

lupin23rd

I'd assume that there should be at least 1 shop somewhere around Akihabara. I haven't been there in a while, but mandarake seems like a save bet. I'm somewhat curious myself, so if somebody got any better ideas...

I've been talking to a friend the other day who's going to leave Japan for good soon, and he told me that you have to leave your Zairyu-card at the airport... I was kinda hoping to keep it as some kind of souvenir when I'm leaving, so that bummed me out. Now I'm thinking of ways to keep it while leaving the country and came up with a idea that might work:
with certain kinds of visa (mine included) you need to fill out a few forms when leaving the country in order to being able to re-enter at a later date - and you get to keep your card obviously.
So I was thinking about filling out those forms without actually coming back. Do you think I could get into trouble when trying to re-enter Japan using a tourist visa or something a few months/years later?

Not the same card but in 2012 when I left after a working holiday, I was expecting to have to give up my card but they just punched a hole in it and handed it back.

Dingens

Not the same card but in 2012 when I left after a working holiday, I was expecting to have to give up my card but they just punched a hole in it and handed it back.

I was told that they are going to reuse the cards, just scratch of the front and back layer and hand it to the next guy, basically. No idea if that's true or not.. I guess I'll find out in august when my friend leaves the country

I was told that they are going to reuse the cards, just scratch of the front and back layer and hand it to the next guy, basically. No idea if that's true or not.. I guess I'll find out in august when my friend leaves the country
Last November they punched a hole in my old residence card and handed it back to me with my new one.

inafking

If it weren't that I don't speak too much japanese I'd be living there renting an apartment in near Nakano, Higashi-Nakano or Komagome subway stations. They're less than 80000 yen but some charge key money (the dreaded reikin which is unrefundable)

"Mansion" (just an apartment in a small building) close to Higashi-Nakano (3 min) and Ochiai stations (5 min), 56000 yen/month, no key money, no deposit

"Apaato" close to Komagome Station (3 minutes), 57500 yen/month. 57500 yen key money, 57500 yen deposit

60000 yen/month, 60000 yen key money, 60000 yen deposit, close to Komagome station

59000 yen/month, no key money, no deposit close to Nishi-Nippori Station (5 min)

There are lots of options with this search filter (Komagome, Nakano Sakaue, Nakano, Highashi-Nakano, Nishi-Nippori, Monzen Nakacho, Machiya Stations and Takadanobaba stations, with private toilet/tub, AC and indoor laundry connection)

I've heard that to speak Japanese fluently you've to study for at least 8 years. Is that true?

bluethree

I'll be finishing up my time as a CIR on JET soon, and man, job hunting here has been pretty tough, probably because I'm stuck in a rural area until the end of my contract. Plan on moving to Osaka or Tokyo real soon to look for stuff in person. Anyone have any experience collecting unemployment benefits in Japan?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I'll be finishing up my time as a CIR on JET soon, and man, job hunting here has been pretty tough, probably because I'm stuck in a rural area until the end of my contract. Plan on moving to Osaka or Tokyo real soon to look for stuff in person. Anyone have any experience collecting unemployment benefits in Japan?

If youre on jet youve been paying into it. Go to hello work and get the shit done. Dont forget youll need to redo health insurance as well in between. source: ive banged a lot of jets

If it weren't that I don't speak too much japanese I'd be living there renting an apartment in near Nakano, Higashi-Nakano or Komagome subway stations. They're less than 80000 yen but some charge key money (the dreaded reikin which is unrefundable)

"Mansion" (just an apartment in a small building) close to Higashi-Nakano (3 min) and Ochiai stations (5 min), 56000 yen/month, no key money, no deposit

"Apaato" close to Komagome Station (3 minutes), 57500 yen/month. 57500 yen key money, 57500 yen deposit

60000 yen/month, 60000 yen key money, 60000 yen deposit, close to Komagome station

59000 yen/month, no key money, no deposit close to Nishi-Nippori Station (5 min)

There are lots of options with this search filter (Komagome, Nakano Sakaue, Nakano, Highashi-Nakano, Nishi-Nippori, Monzen Nakacho, Machiya Stations and Takadanobaba stations, with private toilet/tub, AC and indoor laundry connection)

I've heard that to speak Japanese fluently you've to study for at least 8 years. Is that true?

What does being fluent have to do with living in japan? Barely anyone in japan can ask for chopsticks, look at this thread. source: i banged a lot of jets

urfe

I think quite a few companies look for former jets, especially cirs. Isn't there special 説明会s for them. I know a few that went to Sojitz, Rakuten, that Kansai pharmaceutical company (forget the name), etc.

Maybe not easier, but 100 times easier than it is for a dispatch alt.
Source: I discuss matters with a lot of jets.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
If you mean Otsuka that's my former employer. Fair warning, they don't recruit weeaboos.
forgot source: I'm a weeb

Am I missing some kind of context? How come you're looking at apartments if you don't think you'll be living in Japan?

Time taken to achieve fluency depends on a whole range of factors, including your definition of 'fluently'.

inafking

If youre on jet youve been paying into it. Go to hello work and get the shit done. Dont forget youll need to redo health insurance as well in between. source: ive banged a lot of jets

What does being fluent have to do with living in japan? Barely anyone in japan can ask for chopsticks, look at this thread. source: i banged a lot of jets

Am I missing some kind of context? How come you're looking at apartments if you don't think you'll be living in Japan?

Time taken to achieve fluency depends on a whole range of factors, including your definition of 'fluently'.

Well, the context is about studying to speak japanese to at least N3 level so I can get along with workmates and people in Japan in day-to-day talks. It's not that I want a master degree on the language ;).

I've an IT degree and I like very much their culture. I don't mind coping with their rush hours and working habits since in my country we suffer almost the same traits with much less pay and pretty high crime rates. Japan being a very low crime country is an unvaluable plus.

They also don't have shitty habits that my country culture has, like praising people who scam others (they think they're like a genius because they cheated someone), not being honest (like returning a missing wallet), give less change when paying something and then playing dumb, etc.

At least in my country, most IT jobs are somewhat life suckers and you've to cope with all those traits.

When I posted that info I was just dreaming the day I could migrate when I have proper language skills. It may be useful for single people if they want to save a few yens, but I can remove the post contents if I broke some rules about spamming.

There are inexpensive japanese courses in my country (from about 300 to 600 USD a year). I'm planning to apply to one of those to achieve my dream.

I do currently have the funds to to all of the above (includiing living several months renting an apartment or share house there and day-to-day living), but without the language skills it'd be very difficult. When I have the skills I'd probably rent those foreign-friendly apartments (like Sakura-House that don't ask you for job contract certificate, just having the money to pay them) until I get a job there and search for another place (chintai sites).

Greets!

EDIT: I remember that I read in one of those educational establishments that teach japanese they mentioned you need 4 years and a half to speak japanese at N3 level.

bluethree

I think quite a few companies look for former jets, especially cirs. Isn't there special 説明会s for them. I know a few that went to Sojitz, Rakuten, that Kansai pharmaceutical company (forget the name), etc.

Maybe not easier, but 100 times easier than it is for a dispatch alt.
Source: I discuss matters with a lot of jets.

that's something to look into, thanks. think i'll be heading to osaka for now because it's (slightly) cheaper than tokyo but still has a decent amount of jobs. gonna have to do a bit of networking while i'm there, i guess.

Maybe this is an inland suburb thing, but has anyone else noticed that big name places like max valu and ogino supermarkets are carrying long neck bottles of Corona and Heineken lately? It's just nice for a change of pace. I actually like a Corona occasionally and its nice to find it under 300 yen a bottle anytime I want it out here in sleepy old Yamanashi...

I'm an expert

Max valu/the big were always ahead of the game with that stuff. When they got burger buns like a decade ago on Shikoku people went ape shit. Corona isn't really hard to find anywhere though, it's like the goto foreign beer along with Becks. Dont have a Jupiter in a nearby city?

Max valu/the big were always ahead of the game with that stuff. When they got burger buns like a decade ago on Shikoku people went ape shit. Corona isn't really hard to find anywhere though, it's like the goto foreign beer along with Becks. Dont have a Jupiter in a nearby city?
Nope. Despite Yamanashi bordering Tokyo and Saitama, it's got next to nothing. This is fairly new in my neck of the woods. I had to go to Donki just for imports outside of Guinness. If creature comforts were that easy to get where I live, I'd be broke. So there's that I guess.

I'm an expert

place is a weeb cesspool

source: banged a few weebs in there

Gacha-pin

last night's enkai was a mistake. don't have enkais midweek when you have work the next day. it's terrible

24時間戦っちゃいなよ
31e5988673f748b76694a9f4e46885869c472b95_l.jpg

I'm looking to buy specialized shoes made in Japan, where would I start?
http://www.geta.co.jp/
http://spingle.jp/

Macrotus

Thinking about looking for the Fire Emblem Amiibos. Anyone have a good Amiibo spot in the Tokyo area?

Try checking out GEO. They're a large chain game/dvd store.
They have lots of branches so don't give up if one of the branches don't have them in stock.
I also prefer you call them up. They'll probably even reserve one for you if you're going to go buy it within a day or two.

When I call them up to see if they have a specific game in stock, they often ask me if I would want them to keep one for me till I get their.

You can check the branches in Tokyo on this official website.
http://geo-online.co.jp/store/

urfe

Try checking out GEO. They're a large chain game/dvd store.
They have lots of branches so don't give up if one of the branches don't have them in stock.
I also prefer you call them up. They'll probably even reserve one for you if you're going to go buy it within a day or two.

When I call them up to see if they have a specific game in stock, they often ask me if I would want them to keep one for me till I get their.

You can check the branches in Tokyo on this official website.
http://geo-online.co.jp/store/

Thanks I've been to a few, to no avail. I don't really want to go anywhere off my commute, because then it's really cheaper just to do Amazon (which I may do anyways, Mars is 1900 yen).

Macrotus

Thanks I've been to a few, to no avail. I don't really want to go anywhere off my commute, because then it's really cheaper just to do Amazon (which I may do anyways, Mars is 1900 yen).

Sorry to hear that you had no luck what you're looking for.
The other option I could come up with are going to large consumer electronic stores,
but I've tried looking at their web shops but the Fire Emblem ones were sold out unfortunately... Looks like high demand.
Some physical branches still might have them in stock though, not sure.

HMV Online still had ルキナ in stock at 1296 yen. I believe this is also one of the characters from Fire Emblem.
http://www.hmv.co.jp/artist_Game-Ac...2471;リーズ)_6281470
But thats the only relevant amiibo they had, so not sure if its worth paying the shipping fee just for one amiibo.

Editd:
oh and don't forget Toysrus.

They have 11 branches in Tokyo. Not sure if its close to where you can visit though.
http://www2.toysrus.co.jp/store/storeinfo/list_area.php?area=kanto&local_id=13

urfe

Sorry to hear that you had no luck what you're looking for.
The other option I could come up with are going to large consumer electronic stores,
but I've tried looking at their web shops but the Fire Emblem ones were sold out unfortunately... Looks like high demand.
Some physical branches still might have them in stock though, not sure.

HMV Online still had ルキナ in stock at 1296 yen. I believe this is also one of the characters from Fire Emblem.
http://www.hmv.co.jp/artist_Game-Ac...2471;リーズ)_6281470
But thats the only relevant amiibo they had, so not sure if its worth paying the shipping fee just for one amiibo.

Editd:
oh and don't forget Toysrus.

They have 11 branches in Tokyo. Not sure if its close to where you can visit though.
http://www2.toysrus.co.jp/store/storeinfo/list_area.php?area=kanto&local_id=13

Thanks for all the help!
Unfortunately when clicking on ルキナ, it says 完売しました, which is really a mean trick as it does say 在庫あり on the page before.
I think I'll keep an eye out for online stores, and if I can't find one, I may just butマルス overpriced, so I have him for Maeio Maker.
I'll be in Shibuya tonight for a nomikai, and I believe that huge HMV hasn't closed down, so I'll look in there.

Gacha-pin

みんな、ちゃんと生きてる?今日は暑いを通り越して熱い@東京

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Go to work early and go home when after dark, problem solved!

On a more serious note, 2 deaths and 769 people sent to hospitals (source), this heat is brutal.

urfe

オフィスの冷房の強さは本当にすごいと今日わかってきた。もう誰も節電のことを覚えてないね。
お昼にいつも散歩するけど、今日その散歩したら汗が大変なことになった。Gatsbyを会社に持ってきてよかった。
夕方になるとまだ涼しくなるから、夜だとまだ熱中症を心配せずにジョギングが出来る。

In other news, I've realized I don't need to buy amiibos and won't.

And on another topic, no one gave a shit at work when I mentioned that Iwata had passed away. I was sad alone!

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Anyone have recommendations for a short (like, weekend long) and kind of cheap vacation spot by the sea somewhere? I'd ask travel thread but that seems more like full fledged vacations and wondering if anyone has a good "getaway" spot. Not Kamakura!!

Thinking Tottori or Mie or Oita or somewhere. Want to leave Ibaraki for a while and relaaaaxxx.

And unrelated, but anyone fish here? Going to buy a タナゴ釣りrod out of boredom or something.

inafking

Anyone have recommendations for a short (like, weekend long) and kind of cheap vacation spot by the sea somewhere? I'd ask travel thread but that seems more like full fledged vacations and wondering if anyone has a good "getaway" spot. Not Kamakura!!

Thinking Tottori or Mie or Oita or somewhere. Want to leave Ibaraki for a while and relaaaaxxx.

And unrelated, but anyone fish here? Going to buy a タナゴ釣りrod out of boredom or something.

We were planning for our stay (August 26 to October 16th) to go to Shirahama en Shimoda, Izu peninsula and to Shichirigahama, where you can see also Mount Fuji in the background.

Not sure if that may satisfy you, but the first beach is about 2 and a half hours in train (to Izukyu-shimoda station and then a bus to Shirahama beach) and the second beach is about 1 and a half hour both from Tokyo.

Greets!

urfe

If you're in Ibaraki, then Chiba is so close! Onjuku is quite nice, as is Kamogawa. Next closest (and less cheap) would probably be Izu in Shizuoka.

Hopefully, in the heat going somewhere like Nagano would probably be a lot nicer!

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
We were planning for our stay (August 26 to October 16th) to go to Shirahama en Shimoda, Izu peninsula and to Shichirigahama, where you can see also Mount Fuji in the background.

Not sure if that may satisfy you, but the first beach is about 2 and a half hours in train (to Izukyu-shimoda station and then a bus to Shirahama beach) and the second beach is about 1 and a half hour both from Tokyo.

Greets!

よー

I've heard most of these are nice, I just want to go a little further. For no real reason, just want to get away for a bit. But background Fuji is nice. Those Enoshima feels.

10903187_1525223044419521_1287054582_n.jpg

If you're in Ibaraki, then Chiba is so close! Onjuku is quite nice, as is Kamogawa. Next closest (and less cheap) would probably be Izu in Shizuoka.

Hopefully, in the heat going somewhere like Nagano would probably be a lot nicer!

あ I always forget Chiba has that southern tip. Good idea, maybe.

I really hate the summer heat here, but don't mind it as much if I'm just walking around with time to kill or in 田舎mode or something. If I'm in Tokyo and have things to do then it's shit. Shiiiiiit.

inafking

How can I be so dumb that I didn't read you were in Ibaraki :p.

BTW, Chiba's Kujukuri Hama is not so clean as it seems I've heard, but you have about 41 miles of beach!

Macrotus

今日はマジでヤバかった。最高気温34とかありえん。
皆は真冬と真夏、どっちの方がマシだと思う?
俺は真冬の方が断然いい。冬は着込めばどうにでもなるけど、真夏は素っ裸になろうが暑いもんは暑い!

And unrelated, but anyone fish here?

I used to bass fish every week end a long time ago.
Woke up very early in the morning and took the first train to Sagami-ko or Kawaguchi-ko.

Aizo

Banned
Izu is pretty, but I saw so many fights when I went there. It's like all the tattooed guys that can't go to onsen go to the beach. I was standing in line in a konbini, and these two guys just started throwing down in line. Craziness.

That's how I've always felt.

Dingens

[...]

And on another topic, no one gave a shit at work when I mentioned that Iwata had passed away. I was sad alone!

I know how that feels... I told my girl friend, she isn't much of a gamer but at least she pretended to care... most other people went just like "iwata who?"

do you have a car?
then I'd recommend Iritahama/Izu.
http://www.izu-beach.com/beach-top.htm

going there by train can be a real pain though... 

+1

Desmond

Re entry permits are no longer a thing since 2012.

Maybe it depends on the visa? i've gotten a re-entry permit twice in the past year since coming here.

Also, haven't posted in this thread for a while lol. Been busy with Uni and travelling in stuff. Can't believe I have to go home soon. :(

Also, the heat is unbearable.

Dingens

Maybe it depends on the visa? i've gotten a re-entry permit twice in the past year since coming here.

Also, haven't posted in this thread for a while lol. Been busy with Uni and travelling in stuff. Can't believe I have to go home soon. :(

Also, the heat is unbearable.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you need a re-entry permit with a student visa. It's been the same for a few friends of mine who left the country during spring

Any recommendations for phones with plans through AU or Softbank?

not directly related but I'm sure the question is going to pop up again eventually.
I remember a lot of people looking for some kind of short-term data-plan for friends and family coming to visit. I finally found the solution:

it may not be the cheapest option, but at least it's something
1GB, usable over the period of 3 months for just under 3000 Yen
that should be enough for most visitors I reckon.

Aizo

Banned
not directly related but I'm sure the question is going to pop up again eventually.
I remember a lot of people looking for some kind of short-term data-plan for friends and family coming to visit. I finally found the solution:

it may not be the cheapest option, but at least it's something
1GB, usable over the period of 3 months for just under 3000 Yen
that should be enough for most visitors I reckon.
I'm not a visitor—I'm moving back there next week.
I've been posting in this thread since it started. ;__;

Wubby

I've bee using iPhones with softbank's plan and can't complain.

Yeah I've had iPhones with Softbank for the last 6 years and it's been fine for me. Only sad bit is they got rid of unlimited data plans from last year. I prefer Docomo's smart phone selection the best of all the carriers.

What part of Ibaraki are you in? That's where I was on JET, good times.
Especially when I got out of Ibaraki for a weekend.
For travel, why not go north? (the Sendai area has recovered by now right?) Go get some beef tongue, see Matsushima, added bonus it should be a bit cooler. I drove there from Ibaraki for fun but it's easy on the train. Not far away enough maybe?

Top Bottom