• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

Ayumi

I prefer to ask a friend from overseas to gift me a game which isn't available here. Don't really feel like putting my card number through VPNs.

You can just fill your Steam wallet first.
And I wasn't talking about random VPNs, the ones you rent root on and already use your card on. But I get you. Each to their own~

Macrotus

I've heard you're risking being banned if you activate a game thats not available in your region via VPN.
I don't want to risk being banned and lose all my games :/

Have you made a sub-account just for games that need VPN for activation?

I guess if you go that route, you'll have to use VPN when you play those games as well. (I know its technically possible to play without a VPN once activated)
Because from what I've heard is, when you get banned they also search for your main account. Probably from the IP history of the accounts. If they find different accounts accessed from the same IP addresses, they go in to further investigation to see if its really the same person. And if they are confident, they just ban all of their accounts at once.

This is just what I've heard though, so not sure if its true.

I wish I had a IRL friend overseas...
For games that do not need a VPN for activation but aren't sold on Steam in Japan,
I'm really thinking of using a key seller, like the ones which Twitch streamers always seem to advertise.

Ayumi

I've heard you're risking being banned if you activate a game thats not available in your region via VPN.

I guess if you go that route, you'll have to use VPN when you play those games as well. (I know its technically possible to play without a VPN once activated)
Because from what I've heard is, when you get banned they also search for your main account. Probably from the IP history of the accounts. If they find different accounts accessed from the same IP addresses, they go in to further investigation to see if its really the same person. And if they are confident, they just ban all of their accounts at once.

For games that do not need a VPN for activation but aren't sold on Steam in Japan,
I'm really thinking of using a key seller, like the ones which Twitch streamers always seem to advertise.
There is always a risk, yeah. The only safe way is having the game gifted to you by a friend, like Hasemo said. Not sure if it actually works with all games/regions though.

I haven't used a VPN with Steam. The banned games I wanted to play I already played on console or before they came to Steam.

Anyway, aside from having the game gifted to you (assuming that works), there are risks doing it in other ways. It really isn't worth getting banned over.
You should ask in the Steam OT thread about the region/gift stuff (mention which game it is and which region the gift will arrive from) and they'll be able to tell you if it works or not. :3

Macrotus

Yeah I definitely don't wanna get banned because I have lots of games on my account.
I've also heard that some gifts require activation as well.

Aaaand, atm, Steam started pre-orders for SFV, but it can't be bought from Japan .... =/
Same with Just Cause 3.

OSHAN

My wife and I are vacationing in Japan during the last week of March/first week of April 2016. We'll be in Tokyo for a few days to start, then we're taking the train to Kyoto for a few days. Plane tickets and lodging paid for already, BUT, we have one day between destinations we need to fill in. We were thinking a trip to Mt. Fuji, but the hotel prices are a bit much, and we're not 100% keen on it.

Any recommendations? It would only be one night.

My wife and I are vacationing in Japan during the last week of March/first week of April 2016. We'll be in Tokyo for a few days to start, then we're taking the train to Kyoto for a few days. Plane tickets and lodging paid for already, BUT, we have one day between destinations we need to fill in. We were thinking a trip to Mt. Fuji, but the hotel prices are a bit much, and we're not 100% keen on it.

Go to Hakone and check out the hot springs?

Dingens

Go to Hakone and check out the hot springs?

did the situation over there calm down yet? gotta admit I haven't read anything about it since they restricted access to 小涌谷...

So a friend of mine is going to visit me here in Fukuoka this month. He will stay for about a month and needs work done, so he will need a prepaid SIM card. I checked the OP, but all there is are SIM cards for data. He will probably need a prepaid Voice & Data SIM card. I'm on a 2 year SoftBank contract, so I don't really know about this stuff here in Japan and it seems rather complicated. What are my options, guys? Thanks in advance!

did you come up with a solution? I'm faced with a similar problem... although it's probably even more complicated. Seems like I'll be moving again at the end of august - but within the same building. After that, I'll only stay for a month in the new room before I move out completely. Getting a new contract for a month seems pretty unreasonable, if not impossible. So I was thinking about going for a short-time solution like a mobile data pack to keep me online for 1 month. Or do you think I could just plug-in my modem at the new apartment? like I said, it's the same building, just one floor below...

Not sure if this is what you are looking for for, this might be an example of that kind of service.
http://www.softbank.jp/en/mobile/product/prepaid/

au and docomo might also have one as well.
[...]

would be great but they only offer a 2 year contract...

About food, if you miss the food in your country, "成城石井" might be a good supermarket to visit. They have various foreign food supplies and snacks.
I like to buy gummis there.
[...]

I have actually been there a few times recently. Pretty good selection, although if you're near Azabu Juban, I'd recommend "Nissin" in Higashi Azabu (like 3 minutes from the station Azabu Juban). They got pretty much everything a home-sick person needs
shouldn't have bought so much Nutella :/

Ayumi

I know Mike answered you here, but here's the Japan travel thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=539079

We like to keep things separate. You can also search/browse the thread for info and stuff, maybe you will find something you weren't looking for. :3

I live 1km away from Ikebukuru
Hmm, sounds not too bad I guess.

i live around 13km from the office - so i gets to do me some walking ;)
Damn, that's almost 30km per day walking. How long does it take you to get to the office? I should consider doing that. Should be around 5km one way hmm...

Not sure if this is what you are looking for for, this might be an example of that kind of service.
http://www.softbank.jp/en/mobile/product/prepaid/

au and docomo might also have one as well.
Thank you for the reply. Yeah, I checked that before, but that's not exactly what I was looking for tho.

It really varies on where you live. The western side of Tokyo is like the country side. Takao and Okutama areas. Nice places to visit on your day off and want to get some fresh air.
Well I guess you are right. I've been to quite a few places in Tokyo and around Tokyo, but - that might just be me - there is always this massive place on your mind wherever you go. But then again, the Monocle magazine has declared Tokyo the most livable city in the world in its annual quality of life survey. Can't say I agree, but fair enough I guess.

did you come up with a solution? I'm faced with a similar problem... although it's probably even more complicated. Seems like I'll be moving again at the end of august - but within the same building. After that, I'll only stay for a month in the new room before I move out completely. Getting a new contract for a month seems pretty unreasonable, if not impossible. So I was thinking about going for a short-time solution like a mobile data pack to keep me online for 1 month. Or do you think I could just plug-in my modem at the new apartment? like I said, it's the same building, just one floor below...
Yeah, sorta. He will basically get a data SIM card for a month. I told him to use LINE if he wants to call me or our friends and he got a Skype number for people in Germany who want to make a voice call. I've read that non-residents can't get a voice&data SIM card in Japan. Dunno how much truth there is to that, but it is sure a pain in the ass researching that stuff.

As for your problem, using your modem in the new room even within the building pretty much won't work. Actually, last January my wife and me moved from the 4th floor to the 3rd floor within the same building but NTT guys had to come to make it work. I was not there so I don't know what they did, since the mansion already is connected to fiber anyway. So what you can do is, call your provider, explain them your situation and they will explain you where to go from there. As a matter of fact, we can cancel our contract anytime, but it will cost us around ¥5.000 to do so. That is OCN/NTT West with a 1GB Hayabusa Mansion type plan.

If you're at NTT as well, they also offer english speaking support, if you have trouble understanding these things in Japanese.

Here are the links:
NTT East
NTT West

dani_dc

If it makes you feel any better, you won't lose your games, Steam doesn't ban you from playing games you already purchase, they only ban you from making new purchases (not sure if permanently or not).

Steam thread might be a good place to ask for details, they're well versed on this type of questions.

What are the odds of a Tokyo GAF meetup the weekend of July 24th?

I'd probably be able to attend.

Dingens

What are the odds of a Tokyo GAF meetup the weekend of July 24th?

depending on the location, I think I'll be able to make it... although when picking a location, the more south the better ;). Shibuya would be fine too I guess.
I'm not sure what you guys have in mind... something normal like an izakaya? or something more crazy like "the lock-in" or another theme bar?

[...]
Yeah, sorta. He will basically get a data SIM card for a month. I told him to use LINE if he wants to call me or our friends and he got a Skype number for people in Germany who want to make a voice call. I've read that non-residents can't get a voice&data SIM card in Japan. Dunno how much truth there is to that, but it is sure a pain in the ass researching that stuff.

As for your problem, using your modem in the new room even within the building pretty much won't work. Actually, last January my wife and me moved from the 4th floor to the 3rd floor within the same building but NTT guys had to come to make it work. I was not there so I don't know what they did, since the mansion already is connected to fiber anyway. So what you can do is, call your provider, explain them your situation and they will explain you where to go from there. As a matter of fact, we can cancel our contract anytime, but it will cost us around ¥5.000 to do so. That is OCN/NTT West with a 1GB Hayabusa Mansion type plan.

If you're at NTT as well, they also offer english speaking support, if you have trouble understanding these things in Japanese.

Here are the links:
NTT East
NTT West

nope, I'm with KDDI, but thanks for the advice, I'll give them a call and see what I can do!
My Japanese isn't perfect, but last time I called them they apparently understood what I wanted them to do.

Went to Kokura with my wife today to visit the Kyushu Manga Museum for today's "Cooking Papa cooking event"! Met Ueyama Sensei, got his manga book signed, took pictures with him, ate the food he made and he was really happy about the food present I bought in Italy last month. Great guy and great day all around! So happy :).

nope, I'm with KDDI, but thanks for the advice, I'll give them a call and see what I can do!
My Japanese isn't perfect, but last time I called them they apparently understood what I wanted them to do.
Should be possible at KDDI too I guess. Good luck tho and let us know how it turned out!

kubus

You don't give whole boxes to all your classmates/coworkers/club members, that would be crazy. The whole point is that one-two boxes should be enough for a group you want to share with.

I think it's perfectly fine for that kind of packaging (it looks super cute too!). But I mean if you buy a box of cakes/cookies and they are all wrapped inside transparent paper it seems kinda weird to randomly hand them over to people (even if you get some kind of bag for it). You could also mix stuff in a bag, like buy 3 big boxes (for instance) and mix the all into smaller bags so it looks like you put more thought into it (rather than giving a single cookie wrapped in transparent plastic).

You don't have to buy huge boxes and stuff for everyone! For friends I think it's fine if you share a box (like if you're all hanging you and you open it/let them take a piece). No one really expects you to give them a 1000 yen box of omiyage. Good to save for your boss/authority, like you said.
So sorry for the late reply to this, but I still wanted to thank you both for your help and information (and not just for me, but in general :)).

--

Had a 縮毛矯正 yesterday and damn. The Japanese truly are hair magicians. Also I may just have to come back to this country every year from now on because I don't think I can live without this treatment anymore once it grows out.

Darksol

So I move to Kawaguchi, Saitama, Japan in February on a Working Holiday Visa. It gives me six months living and working, with the option to extend that stay for another 6 months for a small fee once I'm in Japan.

What I want to know is -- do I have any sort of phone/data options available to me? (apart from portable hotspot devices). I think I recall someone saying that you can't get a plan without a 1+ year contract. Is that true?

Also, I'll be living with my girlfriend who is already in Japan, has a plan, etc. Is it possible to just buy a phone and get added to her plan?

By the time I get to Japan I'll have my CELTA (ELT certification). I also have college, but not a university degree, so I know that any good jobs are beyond my reach. However, I have friends teaching in Japan with less, so I know that it isn't impossible, especially if you're already living in Japan and your employer doesn't need to deal with the hassle of bringing you over.

I'm hoping to find work with a small eikaiwa or the like -- anywhere that will let me put my English teaching to good use as well as hopefully be able to vouch for me the following year when I need to pursue a traditional working visa.

I plan on staying in Japan at least three years, if I can manage.

May16

Just had me a racist police stop.

Was riding my bicycle to the gym, saw a police car drive past me, then turn a U-turn, and some guy practically leaped out of the cruiser to tell me to stop.

I hadn't done anything wrong, nothing was out of line about my bike. Not even little stuff like riding with an umbrella, checking a phone, wearing headphones, or riding on the wrong side of the road (all technically illegal even though half the people on bikes are constantly doing one of those).

Nothing wrong, just biking while foreign. They took my ID, wrote my name and number and stuff down, asking where I live, my job, how many people I live with, etc. Fucking ridiculous.

The crazy part is how totally okay racism is in Japan. The officer smiled as he explained, "We are stopping foreign people today! :D"
It wasn't that I matched the description of a suspect of some crime. No, just a sweeping check of foreign people.

At least I wasn't afraid of getting shot like I might be in America, and the police were smiling and polite, but I felt vaguely violated, frustrated, and a bit offended. The fuck, man?

Ayumi

Was riding my bicycle to the gym, saw a police car drive past me, then turn a U-turn, and some guy practically leaped out of the cruiser to tell me to stop.

I hadn't done anything wrong, nothing was out of line about my bike. Not even little stuff like riding with an umbrella, checking a phone, wearing headphones, or riding on the wrong side of the road (all technically illegal even though half the people on bikes are constantly doing one of those).

Nothing wrong, just biking while foreign. They took my ID, wrote my name and number and stuff down, asking where I live, my job, how many people I live with, etc. Fucking ridiculous.

The crazy part is how totally okay racism is in Japan. The officer smiled as he explained, "We are stopping foreign people today! :D"
It wasn't that I matched the description of a suspect of some crime. No, just a sweeping check of foreign people.

At least I wasn't afraid of getting shot like I might be in America, and the police were smiling and polite, but I felt vaguely violated, frustrated, and a bit offended. The fuck, man?

You're a foreigner in Japan, and probably sticking out like a sore thumb and you feel offended? Come on, man. They said they were stopping foreigners. For all you know, they had received reports of stolen bikes in that specific area. You don't know that.

You can't blame Japan for trying hard to keep track of their country and their residents. The national crime rate is insanely low, because of how specific they do things. You shouldn't ever feel offended getting stopped and asked to show your gaijin card. Because you are a foreigner and nothing will change that. You are in someone else's country, so don't feel offended because of the way they do things, as long as they are polite to you.

Besides, I'm sure it was because of you riding a bike. Foreigners are not the only one who get stopped riding bikes. I actually see Japanese getting stopped more. But again, for all you know, they were extra cautious of foreigners in that particular area for certain reasons (such as someone recently reporting a foreigner stealing a bike, or a foreigner doing something suspicious, then running off on a bike. Or other reports/incidents they were taking care of).

Police don't generally target foreigners like that. They aim to treat everyone the same.
You felt offended because you saw it as them stopping you solely because you are foreign, and now you might think that they always do this. You even said they smiled and were nice to you, yet you feel violated? smh

Sorry for coming off so blunt, but things like these are always ridiculous to read, unless you had an obvious unpleasant experience of police harassing you or similar. Which definitely did not sound like the case. Foreigners ARE in general louder than Japanese, and there are police who are more strict than the others because of that. In short, don't feel offended if you have done nothing wrong, and if they are being polite to you. They are authority and they have every right to check up on residents if they want to.

(Edit: I thought there was a chance they could have been fake police, but you said they were driving a police car, so very unlikely they were fake.)

Gacha-pin

If the police officer actually said that and you took that as racism, I think you should report that to your local police station.

I'm Japanese and look exactly a Japanese male, a bit greenish but a very adorable boy if I may add, but they ask me to stop quite often. I had those twice this month. Police often stop people who are riding bike with no reason and check if they ride registered bikes as if it's the most important job for them. Just go away when you see them.

120905_02_03_006.jpg

Ayumi

Getting stopped on a bike is very common too..Because of the numbers. Thankfully it's super easy to figure out who are riding on stolen bikes.

@Gacha: Can you do cool tricks on your bike?!
Maybe you ride over the police car and do a backflip. ww

Gacha-pin

Getting stopped on a bike is very common too..Because of the numbers. Thankfully it's super easy to figure out who are riding on stolen bikes.

@Gacha: Can you do cool tricks on your bike?!
Maybe you ride over the police car and do a backflip. ww

You don't know Gachapin can do anything even you LIVE IN JAPAN!? (◉ϖ◉)ノシ スポーツ万能

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_qgkLN4NB8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zZzca5j3hU

Ayumi

You don't know Gachapin can do anything even if you LIVE IN JAPAN!? (◉ϖ◉)ノシ スポート万能

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_qgkLN4NB8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zZzca5j3hU
おおー 知ってるよ
久しぶりに見ただから名前をすっかり忘れていた
(*^^;)

Gacha-pin

おおー 知ってるよ
久しぶりに見ただから名前をすっかり忘れていた
(*^^;)

何、日本で2番目に人気のあるキャラクターの名前を忘れてただと!?
65a57f44.jpg

May16

For all you know, they had received reports of stolen bikes in that specific area. You don't know that.

They hadn't, because I asked a lot of those questions. No.

I'm aware of bike stops and I've lived here my entire adult life and I am capable of telling the difference between legit policework and bullshit busywork.

I appreciate your input, and I appreciate your trying to explain, but at the end, you're guessing and assuming about something you weren't there for. I was there and I'm telling you what happened. If you'd prefer to believe that there is no racial profiling that goes on among the police force (bearing in mind that Shikoku is way more racist in general than lots of other places), you're welcome to do so.

Cheers.

Gacha-pin said:
If the police officer actually said that and you took that as racism, I think you should report that to your local police station.
I've had pieces in the Shikoku Shimbun. I'm going to contribute this one anonymously and see what happens. Probably nothing.

urfe

I'm aware of bike stops and I've lived here my entire adult life and I am capable of telling the difference between legit policework and bullshit busywork.

I appreciate your input, and I appreciate your trying to explain, but at the end, you're guessing and assuming about something you weren't there for. I was there and I'm telling you what happened. If you'd prefer to believe that there is no racial profiling that goes on among the police force (bearing in mind that Shikoku is way more racist in general than lots of other places), you're welcome to do so.

Cheers.

I've had pieces in the Shikoku Shimbun. I'm going to contribute this one anonymously and see what happens. Probably nothing.

I've been ID'd twice. Sucks. Compared to other countries not too shitty though. Hopes of finding that foreigner without a visa.

And unless that's a くまモン with the flu、 it's prob not the 二番目人気あるキャラクター. (^_^)

May16

I've been ID'd twice. Sucks. Compared to other countries not too shitty though. Hopes of finding that foreigner without a visa.
Yeah I know.
Had to have my vent session though.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go eat a bunch of cheeseburgers and play Call of Duty.

urfe

Yeah I know.
Had to have my vent session though.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go eat a bunch of cheeseburgers and play Call of Duty.

Yeah. I didn't mean to take away from that, sorry if I did.

There is the feeling of being violated that's real.

My bedtime.

Ayumi

I didn't want to imply racism doesn't exist, but from the way you worded things (like saying they were being nice and polite about it) it didn't seem like they meant any harm in your particular situation.
But I wasn't there, like you said..

And unless that's a くまモン with the flu、 it's prob not the 二番目人気あるキャラクター. (^_^)

何、日本で2番目に人気のあるキャラクターの名前を忘れてただと!?
65a57f44.jpg
ドラえもんやアンパンマンどうですか・・ Σ(゜д゜;)

May16

Yeah. I didn't mean to take away from that, sorry if I did.

There is the feeling of being violated that's real.

My bedtime.

No, not at all. XD I was just highlighting the part I was replying to. Thanks.

I didn't want to imply racism doesn't exist, but from the way you worded things (like saying they were being nice and polite about it) it didn't seem like they meant any harm in your particular situation.
But I wasn't there, like you said..
Nah, no worries. It's fine. I'm just blowing off steam.

I just...you know what I mean, right?

This kind of thing adds up very slowly, for me. It's not a major deal, and other places have it way, waaaaay worse, I realize. I'm grateful for that. Very, very grateful for that.

There's just that, you know, like, that one day out of 100 where it adds up to be too much. Where you feel like you shouldn't have to explain to the parents that sending their kid over to your table at a restaurant with the encouragement "Look! A Gaijin! Go practice your English!" might not be the coolest thing, and so on.

Usually won't irk me, but on that one day...I'm gonna notice. And I won't be able to just roll with it. >_<

It's not an all-at-once, panic kind of stress, but one that adds up little by little over weeks and months until some kind of incident happens, and then I sit around being mad about it for a while and while the mental Reset button clicks.

:)

Ayumi

Nah, no worries. It's fine. I'm just blowing off steam.

I just...you know what I mean, right?

This kind of thing adds up very slowly, for me. It's not a major deal, and other places have it way, waaaaay worse, I realize. I'm grateful for that. Very, very grateful for that.

There's just that, you know, like, that one day out of 100 where it adds up to be too much. Where you feel like you shouldn't have to explain to the parents that sending their kid over to your table at a restaurant with the encouragement "Look! A Gaijin! Go practice your English!" might not be the coolest thing, and so on.

It's not an all-at-once, panic kind of stress, but one that adds up little by little over weeks and months until some kind of incident happens, and then I sit around being mad about it for a while and while the mental Reset button clicks.

:)
I do know what you mean. We all have bad days, bad periods and meet people we don't like, or people who rub us the wrong way.

Better be happy you live in Japan and not America for instance. &#65288;´&#8704;&#65344;&#65289;

Japan has a lot of shit to work on but overall I find it (specifically the people) a lot more enjoyable and safe than most other places I've been to. Japan is a nice security blanket. I'd be terrified visiting the US with all the current craziness going on, like open carry laws. I guess I just don't see the bad things as very bad since I've been to insane countries before (like Ethiopia). And I love traveling but there really is no place like home. Racism to me is very blunt and straight forward, the thing that makes people around you go "Whoa, did he just say that?". It always seemed more of a "We and our race think we are better than your race" kind of thing (aka internet stuff), and not just a "discrimination against foreigners" (aka what I feel happens in Japan, which includes Koreans/Chinese, as they are also Asian but still foreign) kind of thing.

Dingens

this whole racism thing can be irritating some times for sure. I'm not even talking about the blatant police stop stuff.

About a week ago I was talking to my girlfriend about something I can't even remember what it was, when she asked me if I was poor blooded (&#32020;&#34880;). I didn't even know how to deal with something like that as I'm from a country where this kind of thought or rather the concept of biological race isn't acceptable (or at least it wasn't, it seems to creep back slowly with some of the older folks lately). At least to me, it's really hard to deal with something like that.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
rikaikun translates it as 'pureblood'
Yeah, I searched a bit and that's all there's too it.
this whole racism thing can be irritating some times for sure. I'm not even talking about the blatant police stop stuff.

About a week ago I was talking to my girlfriend about something I can't even remember what it was, when she asked me if I was poor blooded (&#32020;&#34880;). I didn't even know how to deal with something like that as I'm from a country where this kind of thought or rather the concept of biological race isn't acceptable (or at least it wasn't, it seems to creep back slowly with some of the older folks lately). At least to me, it's really hard to deal with something like that.
Maybe she was just curious if you're mixed race or something like that?
Even after getting the word right I don't think I fully understand the reason for the outrage.

Jintor

blood purity is a pretty old concept that's considered racist by some... well, let's not beat around the bush, I do think it's pretty racist. like, the fact that the word &#12495;&#12540;&#12501; to denote someone who only has one japanese parent is pretty much embedded in the language as acceptable is kind of irritating to me.

i noticed that foreigners or other haafu sometimes don't get their names in hiirigana or kanji on the school stuff, it's katakana or nothing, even when they have a japanese name...

Saya

Hey guys, do any of you know Kanji (wait, this is in kanji right?). I collected a few goshuin temple stamps from my trip to Japan and scanned them, but I stupidly forgot to write down which seal belongs to which temple... I'm trying to figure out the names and stuff, but can't find all of them. Wonder if any of you could help?

Here is the link to the album: http://imgur.com/a/ARkHZ

There are 14 seals, this is what I found so far

1. Meiji Shrine, Tokyo?
2. Ueno Shimizu-do, Tokyo?
3. ?
4. Sensoji, Tokyo?
5. ?
6. Kodaiji Temple, Kyoto?
7. Yasaka Shrine, Kyoto?
8. Kiyomizu-dera, Kyoto?
9. Tenryuji, Kyoto?
10. Fushimi Inari, Kyoto?
11. ?
12. ?
13. Toshodaiji, Nara?
14. Kasuga Taisha, Nara?

Temples I've also visited: Todaiji (nara), Yakushiji (nara).. forgot the rest

Dingens

[...]

Maybe she was just curious if you're mixed race or something like that?
Even after getting the word right I don't think I fully understand the reason for the outrage.

I guess you are not European? It's always kinda hart to explain a concept that simply doesn't exist in someone elses cultural context.

the problem with this "pure blood" thing is pretty simple. It implies biological difference when in reality there is non. Skin color, eye shape, whatever isn't determined by DNA. The concept of race is a construct with no base in reality. I'd recommend "Race - the power of an illusion" if you want to know more. It'

where I come from, using the word race is already pretty offensive. Talking about blood is kinda like the next step.

[...]

1. Meiji Shrine, Tokyo?
2. Ueno Shimizu-do, Tokyo?
3. ?
4. Sensoji, Tokyo?
5. ?
6. Kodaiji Temple, Kyoto?
7. Yasaka Shrine, Kyoto?
8. Kiyomizu-dera, Kyoto?
9. Tenryuji, Kyoto?
10. Fushimi Inari, Kyoto?
11. ?
12. ?
13. Toshodaiji, Nara?
14. Kasuga Taisha, Nara?

Temples I've also visited: Todaiji (nara), Yakushiji (nara).. forgot the rest

3rd one is ueno, 2nd one is something about senju kannon... doesn't ring a bell sry
the other ones... maybe tomorrow if nobody else wants to try

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I guess you are not European? It's always kinda hart to explain a concept that simply doesn't exist in someone elses cultural context.

the problem with this "pure blood" thing is pretty simple. It implies biological difference when in reality there is non. Skin color, eye shape, whatever isn't determined by DNA. The concept of race is a construct with no base in reality. I'd recommend "Race - the power of an illusion" if you want to know more. It'

where I come from, using the word race is already pretty offensive. Talking about blood is kinda like the next step.

3rd one is ueno, 2nd one is something about senju kannon... doesn't ring a bell sry
the other ones... maybe tomorrow if nobody else wants to try
I'm Polish and thanks to that I've heard some nast offensive comments when I was in Austria etc. Can't say I care though.
Same with the blood stuff, really. If someone believes that, that only shows how much that person knows about biology.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Damn, that's almost 30km per day walking. How long does it take you to get to the office? I should consider doing that. Should be around 5km one way hmm...

yup - according to Withings - i have covered close to 6 million steps since October 11th - or , otherwise, a distance of 4463 km

... and yet i'm still rather plumpish ;) (or at least not some toned beast like i wish i was ;)

on the more serious item of "race purity/blood" - my wife is half Japanese. So she's largely considered not Japanese by Japanese people as she looks somewhat -not- Japanese - but to all non-Japanese they consider her Japanese.

She ends up with a mild identiy crisis - though identifies largely as "part of <familyname> family" rather than race - but still - it sounds like it's completely frustrating. She was born and raised her - she's fully bilingual, holds japanese citizenship/passport, but yeah - her Japaneseness is seemingly constantly questions because "well, she's not full Japanese" :/

I can't begin to even understand how this feels.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
They said they were stopping foreigners. For all you know, they had received reports of stolen bikes in that specific area.

... and there we go.

The assumption, especially from Japanese people, is that if a bike has been stolen is that it's a foreigner. I know Japanese people who have stolen bikes and gotten caught for it - and whilst i'm not exonerating every foreigner from blame the default Japanese attitude is almost always "ah... foreigners"

I've been through this before with several Japanese people - their perception is that every crime commited in Japan is by someone who -isn't- Japanese. I have literally seem people assume once a murder is reported on the TV that it was "ah, Korean or Chinese" - then when they throw up a Japanese as the perp it's "... family name suggests he maybe second gen Korean!" or something -equally- nonsense. It's stomach churning.

I have literally had to go to government sites to get stats to disprove this idea that foreigners commit all the crimes in Japan - the official stats being something like 1.x% foriegn crime but STILL the myth persists that the majority of crimes are commited by foreigners.

In terms of stops - i've been stopped in the region of 7 times in the 15 years i've been here and asked to empty my bag 3 times. I have had to go to a koban once with no actual reason for me needing to. In each case there is never a reason given and asking for one sets you down the line of "uh oh, we got a trouble maker" - and i honestly don't trust the set up enough for that not to be a nightmare.

Jintor

i don't really want to go into a big talk about racism here in particular, but also the attitude of 'i'm sure they didn't mean any harm by it' is also kinda irritating, because racism isn't just the visible 'foreigners out' nationalist rhetoric but it's also a systemic and institutionalised set of feelings or standards that doesn't necessarily even identify itself as racist but nonetheless contributes to feelings of persecution, etc, etc

Some of you may remember, I posted about job related stuff some time ago. Basically I don't have real challenges of now at my job which led me to look around for something new (IT network engineering). Hired a headhunter and had my first interview via his connections yesterday evening. The place is literally 5 minutes away from my home - 5 minutes super relaxed walking that is lol. The company seems pretty &#23798;&#32789;&#20316; corporate'ish, but offer jobwise some challenges I was looking for and if negotiations go well, way above double the salary. On top of that the core working time is 10 am until 4pm, so come and go is up to my choice. The interview (two guys, one after another) went well I assume, since they want me to take a online test and invited me to one more interview next month one on one with the president. They did say during big projects overtime is kinda needed (33 hours a month included in one months salary; not a must to work 33 obertime hours a month tho..), so saying that but not being specific enough kinda made me thinking. I don't have a problem to work overtime when needed, but I do if it becomes an every day standard. I will see how the test and the next interview goes and see from there.

yup - according to Withings - i have covered close to 6 million steps since October 11th - or , otherwise, a distance of 4463 km

... and yet i'm still rather plumpish ;) (or at least not some toned beast like i wish i was ;)
Wow, awesome. I'm just too lazy/sleepy in the morning to make that happen... someday!

on the more serious item of "race purity/blood" - my wife is half Japanese. So she's largely considered not Japanese by Japanese people as she looks somewhat -not- Japanese - but to all non-Japanese they consider her Japanese.

She ends up with a mild identiy crisis - though identifies largely as "part of <familyname> family" rather than race - but still - it sounds like it's completely frustrating. She was born and raised her - she's fully bilingual, holds japanese citizenship/passport, but yeah - her Japaneseness is seemingly constantly questions because "well, she's not full Japanese" :/

I can't begin to even understand how this feels.
Well, not on the same level but I can sorta understand your wife. My parents are croatian, but my sister and me were born in Germany and have a german (and croatian) citizenship. I feel and act like a german, but even tho I never experienced racism towards me from german people, I kind of had this.. well not identity crisis, but questions going on in my head about where I really belong to. It's complicated and annoying at the same time.

... and there we go.

The assumption, especially from Japanese people, is that if a bike has been stolen is that it's a foreigner. I know Japanese people who have stolen bikes and gotten caught for it - and whilst i'm not exonerating every foreigner from blame the default Japanese attitude is almost always "ah... foreigners"

I've been through this before with several Japanese people - their perception is that every crime commited in Japan is by someone who -isn't- Japanese. I have literally seem people assume once a murder is reported on the TV that it was "ah, Korean or Chinese" - then when they throw up a Japanese as the perp it's "... family name suggests he maybe second gen Korean!" or something -equally- nonsense. It's stomach churning.

I have literally had to go to government sites to get stats to disprove this idea that foreigners commit all the crimes in Japan - the official stats being something like 1.x% foriegn crime but STILL the myth persists that the majority of crimes are commited by foreigners.

In terms of stops - i've been stopped in the region of 7 times in the 15 years i've been here and asked to empty my bag 3 times. I have had to go to a koban once with no actual reason for me needing to. In each case there is never a reason given and asking for one sets you down the line of "uh oh, we got a trouble maker" - and i honestly don't trust the set up enough for that not to be a nightmare.
I guess that's a major opinion in a lot of countries. Not a good thing, but not exclusive to japanese people. As of yet I've never been stopped by the police even once and never experienced racism towards me. Of course, whenever we go to visit my wife's family in the inaka's of Miyazaki, you have kids looking at you, but I can't really blame them for seeing a foreigner for the first time. But then again, I agree with what you say. They need to get a grip, but it will take another decade or two for that I guess.

Aizo

Banned
So... things have gotten more complicated for me coming back to Japan. Looks like, unsurprisingly, the job availability in Shimane is very...lacking. I'm concerned that I won't be able to find work that will sponsor my visa. I'm not really willing to work at the factory nearby that is likely taking advantage of all the Brazilians that work there.
The worst case scenario would be that I have to find work in another prefecture, and then it would be back to long distance with my girlfriend, which I'm trying to avoid at all costs. I'm feeling pretty lost.
I hope you get the job!

So... things have gotten more complicated for me coming back to Japan. Looks like, unsurprisingly, the job availability in Shimane is very...lacking. I'm concerned that I won't be able to find work that will sponsor my visa. I'm not really willing to work at the factory nearby that is likely taking advantage of all the Brazilians that work there.
The worst case scenario would be that I have to find work in another prefecture, and then it would be back to long distance with my girlfriend, which I'm trying to avoid at all costs. I'm feeling pretty lost.

I hope you get the job!
Thanks mate! &#38929;&#24373;&#12427;&#12431;&#65281;

You may have answered that question already, but what kinda job exactly are you looking for? Also, your girlfriend seems to live in Shimane so you are trying it there? Ever thought about going to Kyushu? I'm here in Fukuoka, where your chances would be much, much better - well, depending on what you are looking for of course. Economically, the city is on fire. Wish you all the best and I hope you will find a way through!

Dingens

I'm Polish and thanks to that I've heard some nast offensive comments when I was in Austria etc. Can't say I care though.
Same with the blood stuff, really. If someone believes that, that only shows how much that person knows about biology.

I see... well, if you wouldn't mind sending me your experiences via a pm or something? I'm quite curious about that topic and don't want to go even more off-topic here...

[...]

Where?

Germany, Austria, France... almost all places that had a somewhat dark history with "race theory ". I'm sure there are more... at least I hope. Using the word "race" on German television for example would be pretty much unimaginable.

So yeah, growing up without that, coming here being asked about my "racial purity" and blood type for fortune telling and stuff feels kinda freaky... Can't imagine how some of my "un-pure" "half" friends must feel. awful stuff

Germany, Austria, France... almost all places that had a somewhat dark history with "race theory ". I'm sure there are more... at least I hope. Using the word "race" on German television for example would be pretty much unimaginable.

So yeah, growing up without that, coming here being asked about my "racial purity" and blood type for fortune telling and stuff feels kinda freaky... Can't imagine how some of my "un-pure" "half" friends must feel. awful stuff
Yeah, feels bad even when talking about about dog breeds lol (@Non-Germans; we use the word "race" for animals as well).

Aizo

Banned
For those of you living in Japan on a work Visa, have you been to your home country in a while? Are re-entry permits annoying?

Also, TokyoGAF Meetup July 25th?

Top Bottom