• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
The issue would be visa sponsorship. You would need a place willing to go through the process of bringing you over, meaning you'd need some obvious skill and experience to satisfy their requirements and the visa requirements. Japanese proficiency would be extremely helpful though I'd be lying if I said every job out there would need fluency.

If you know of the usual job search sites for Japan, I'd start there. Is your degree in culinary or hospitality?

urfe

I currently work in the pastry field and was contemplating going to Japan in maybe a year or so. My experience is in fine dining btw.

Anyone have idea as to whether or not finding a job in the field would be extremely difficult?

I'd love to start researching my options and figuring this whole thing out.

I have no idea about the field, but if I were you I'd just email restaurants and ask for advice. May get a 20-30% reply rate?

Not fine dining, but I know a guy who is a cook at an International School. Although he is on a spousal visa.

The issue would be visa sponsorship. You would need a place willing to go through the process of bringing you over, meaning you'd need some obvious skill and experience to satisfy their requirements and the visa requirements. Japanese proficiency would be extremely helpful though I'd be lying if I said every job out there would need fluency.

If you know of the usual job search sites for Japan, I'd start there. Is your degree in culinary or hospitality?

My degree is strictly pastry art. I don't do savory but I know enough about savory to get by.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
My degree is strictly pastry art. I don't do savory but I know enough about savory to get by.

I just meant if your degree was more on the hospitality/management side you could probably have an easier chance getting into some kind of restaurant or hotel management position and then transition from there. Do you have proficient Japanese? I know Hyatt often hires for those positions as I've had clients come from that route. I'm assuming you don't have the years of experience to qualify for the highly skilled visa..? Otherwise you could most likely secure instructor positions.

If you're strictly on the baking side, it's probably best to try to get an apprenticeship somewhere, but then the visa is the issue again. There are.. other routes.. but I will not speak of them. Is there a reason it has to be Japan..? There are easier countries to enter and work in. Are you looking to specifically study Asian pastries? Why not apply for Japanese culinary school then?

Glad it worked out. I'm assuming this is actually purchasing a home, in which case it probably depends on what market you're in with how willing they are to make it easy.
Thanks!
Nope, I'm not in the market of buying a house. Rather than that I would build, but we'll see. We are not sure about that yet, since we have a house in Miyazaki. We'll see in a few years from now I guess.
Anyway, we are renting the place. And I actually asked about this once again and it seems like the owner was kinda iffy about the whole thing at first. "A young couple without kids, so why the need for 140sq m? 2LDK is plenty of space for them. Will the foreigner invite a lot of family and friends to the house and party day in n day out or even Airbnb it!?"
Considering that, it went really well, thanks to the agent pushing hard. The house is a steal.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
yeah, my wife is talking about selling up and buying a new place - i have been through the house buying thing once and -do not- want to do it again.

plus our space would shrink massively whilst our mortgage would go screaming up.

A heads up for Apple TV 4th gen owners and hulu Japan users. The app is now officially available via the japanese App Store.

Hulu、12月1日より新しいApple TV(第4世代)への対応開始

お待たせいたしました。
Huluが新しいApple TV(第4世代)に対応いたしました。
従来よりパフォーマンスが向上したApple TVで
快適にHuluをお楽しみいただけます。
AppleTV-4G
Apple TV内のApp StoreよりHuluのアプリをダウンロードしていただき、
起動してください。既にHuluの会員登録をされているお客様は、
メールアドレスとパスワードをご入力いただくと、
すぐにHuluのサービスがご利用いただけます。

さらに、Huluを新規お申し込み頂いたお客様には、
1ヶ月無料トライアルキャンペーンを実施しております。(通常2週間)

どうぞ大画面でHuluをお楽しみください。

Source: http://blog.hulu.jp/2015/12/01/apple-tv4/

Fucking finally. I just hope it's not a mess to browse like Netflix is.. ugh.

Gacha-pin

Gacha-pin, you should post in the Japanese music thread.
I think maybe we post about a huge variety of music, including Punk.

AKBとかPerfumeを主に語り合うスレじゃないんなら参加する!!
Hey Japan-Gaf :) Hoping you might be able to help me with something. I'm going to Japan on holiday again in February, but I'll also be stopping by the Japanese subsidiary of the company I work for, to see how they work and get a tour of the place. I want to get them a gift of sorts (I'm thinking something food-related that Japanese people might associate with the UK) but I'm not really sure what to get, or whether a gift like this is okay or not.

Figured I'd have a better chance of someone knowing in this thread than the travel thread :) Thanks, any suggestions are welcome!

an average Japanese here, fish & chips is the only thing I associate with the UK.

Aizo

Banned
AKBとかPerfumeを主に語り合うスレじゃないんなら参加する!!
A lot of us post about indie rock bands and all sorts of lesser known stuff.

I'm an expert

Thanks!
Nope, I'm not in the market of buying a house. Rather than that I would build, but we'll see. We are not sure about that yet, since we have a house in Miyazaki. We'll see in a few years from now I guess.
Anyway, we are renting the place. And I actually asked about this once again and it seems like the owner was kinda iffy about the whole thing at first. "A young couple without kids, so why the need for 140sq m? 2LDK is plenty of space for them. Will the foreigner invite a lot of family and friends to the house and party day in n day out or even Airbnb it!?"
Considering that, it went really well, thanks to the agent pushing hard. The house is a steal.

Ohh, to rent. That's not too surprising then, it will always come down to the owner. I rent out my condo and it's just a matter of screening. When I felt good about someone I'd always just pull the trigger, if not, then it's a prolonged process. I can see what you mean about foreigner concerns though, as someone who has thrown a few house parties in their time..cough. So you're renting out your actual home then? Was this a move for a job?

Ohh, to rent. That's not too surprising then, it will always come down to the owner. I rent out my condo and it's just a matter of screening. When I felt good about someone I'd always just pull the trigger, if not, then it's a prolonged process. I can see what you mean about foreigner concerns though, as someone who has thrown a few house parties in their time..cough. So you're renting out your actual home then? Was this a move for a job?
Well yeah, I knew things are way stricter over here compared to Germany and I knew it's on a whole different level if a foreigner is involved, so I'm pretty glad about how fast things worked out considering the concerns of the owner, which I kind of can understand heh.
Nah, my wife's grandmother passed away some years ago and her dad passed it on to us, since he has his own house anyway. We are in the process of renovating the house whenever we are in Miyazaki (which is quite often) and then we will figure out what we will do with it as far as renting out goes. We are living in Fukuoka, so we just finally found a place in Fukuoka which matches our needs exactly.

I'm an expert

So I usually do my due diligence when responding to new people, but in this case I just sort of took the situation at face value. Now that I had time to go back, I realize your situation is very early in the game. You only just began school, correct? You don't actually have a degree. You'd have to confirm that the degree you'll be conferred at your pastry school is indeed the equivalent of any 4 year degree, as that is the bare minimum (not 100%, but in the majority of cases) to receive a visa. You then of course have to actually graduate. The other way around this (besides marriage) is usually the skilled visa, but that requires years of experience.

In this case, my original advice, while coming from a different perspective, still might actually be the best. Go to school in Japan rather than work in Japan. I'm afraid you will have a very difficult time (read: impossible) finding employment if you were to do everything by the books.

urfe

I got a busy December, but would anyone be down for a meet up in January in Tokyo?

Fridays work best for me. We could do a cheap nomihodai somewhere.

So I usually do my due diligence when responding to new people, but in this case I just sort of took the situation at face value. Now that I had time to go back, I realize your situation is very early in the game. You only just began school, correct? You don't actually have a degree. You'd have to confirm that the degree you'll be conferred at your pastry school is indeed the equivalent of any 4 year degree, as that is the bare minimum (not 100%, but in the majority of cases) to receive a visa. You then of course have to actually graduate. The other way around this (besides marriage) is usually the skilled visa, but that requires years of experience.

In this case, my original advice, while coming from a different perspective, still might actually be the best. Go to school in Japan rather than work in Japan. I'm afraid you will have a very difficult time (read: impossible) finding employment if you were to do everything by the books.

I finished school in less than 2 weeks, actually. I'm asking more so where to start on planning ahead for this. I'm thoroughly interested in recommendations for learning to read and write Japanese also. I know its going to be a lot to learn and do but I'm absolutely willing to do it. I've been wanting to go to Japan since I was 8 years old. I'm now 22 and greatly desire to spread out my life experiences and learn more about Japanese pastry (yes, I'm also aware its influenced by french pastry which is what I'm currently attending school for). I would also be completely open to attending a school in Japan or just building experience here then moving there. My program I'm becoming certified in is only 6 months, not a 4 year school because its unnecessary for learning pastry. The school provides the fundamentals to establish your ground then you go out and work to build experience. I'm currently interning at a restaurant while in school as well, I've been there for 3 months and will be receiving a raise to a pastry cook at their new restaurant after graduation.

I know most careers in Japan will require a higher degree of some sort or more experience, I'm simply looking for recommendations for how to approach things. Would an internship in Japan be the best place to start looking rather than a job? I'm open to all recommendations, frankly.

I'm an expert

I finished school in less than 2 weeks, actually. I'm asking more so where to start on planning ahead for this. I'm thoroughly interested in recommendations for learning to read and write Japanese also. I know its going to be a lot to learn and do but I'm absolutely willing to do it. I've been wanting to go to Japan since I was 8 years old. I'm now 22 and greatly desire to spread out my life experiences and learn more about Japanese pastry (yes, I'm also aware its influenced by french pastry which is what I'm currently attending school for). I would also be completely open to attending a school in Japan or just building experience here then moving there. My program I'm becoming certified in is only 6 months, not a 4 year school because its unnecessary for learning pastry. The school provides the fundamentals to establish your ground then you go out and work to build experience. I'm currently interning at a restaurant while in school as well, I've been there for 3 months and will be receiving a raise to a pastry cook at their new restaurant after graduation.

I know most careers in Japan will require a higher degree of some sort or more experience, I'm simply looking for recommendations for how to approach things. Would an internship in Japan be the best place to start looking rather than a job? I'm open to all recommendations, frankly.

Full disclosure: I don't have direct experience with your industry, only with the process for my firm's international interns.

So, let's cut to the chase. I don't think your school or studies will be eligible for a visa. Actually I know they won't. This is what I assumed when I read your original post: http://www.ciachef.edu/baking-and-pastry-arts-bachelors-degree-program-ny/

The other issue with finding an internship or apprenticeship is those are usually tied to a student visa that is based on you studying at a school and having their permission to work part time hours. However, being accepted to such a school would require some serious effort on your part. This will probably come down to a case of who you know more than what you know. If your current school doesn't have a partnership, you'd have to independently apply which puts you at a serious disadvantage.

The other type of internship would be a private one through a company or foundation. For example: http://www.goabroad.com/intern-abroad/search/culinary-arts-cooking/internships-abroad-1

These are usually short stays at some sponsor location, but the quality of these are varying and they can be quite competitive. You can usually find these easily through any recruiting site. It's possible that certain mnc hotels or restaurants offer these opportunities so you might want to fish around a bit on career sites or linkedin.

Also realize that these methods would require you to be able to support your living costs (assuming you don't get s private scholarship). I'd say about $5k US for up to 2 months stay. Even then, there's no way you'd be able to stay longer as the visa issue would arise again.

You really need a 4 year degree to have 'easy' access to a visa. Otherwise you put yourself at the mercy of a lot of different schools or companies and are always limited in time.

As for Japanese, the gaf thread has had a recent resurgence. Luckily for you, if you're serious about wanting to make all of this a reality, the usual posters in the thread are all working at accelerated paces. Unfortunately, the op is outdated and there's no relevant beginner guide. If I get more time as the holidays get closer, I plan to make a more casual guide for those earlier in their studies.

I'm an expert

What do you mean what kind..? Like the brand? You'd find these kinds in most houses..you can buy it a million different ways honestly. If you want fresh, you can buy it raw too.

4901002066550_common.jpg
item_183120_l.jpg

I'm an expert

You can buy authentic wasabi, it just costs more. Most of these tube styles are real wasabi but usually made from powder.

I'm an expert

There are tube wasabi that are 'real' wasabi but they're usually just local or specialty brands. You won't find them outside unless it's some seriously niche importer. If you're getting imported from Japan wasabi, you're eating real wasabi, just more like..from concentrate? Kinda like juice. This is normal wasabi, available at a market:

truewasabi_sub1.jpg

Resilient

I'm going to Japan in March so I'd be able to buy it there and don't need to import.

assume you mean the tubed version? imagine you'd hit a roadblock with customs taking in a fresh wasabi stem but i could be wrong.

assuming you live in the US? surely ..surely there is a Japanese-food specialty mart in your area that already caters to the Japanese community there?

Ayumi

Where should I be looking for cheap (like, cheap as fuck) furniture in Tokyo? I need to buy a cheap folding table ASAP.
Craigslist/Sayonara sales (people often give stuff away for free, if you can pick it up, when moving since it costs to dump stuff).

Wubby

I picked up two folding tables from Off-House before for 300yen each. It's a used shop so whatever they have can be hit-or-miss.

hwalker84

Can you guys help me. Weird request but I hope some of neogaf's friendliest will help me out. When I was in Japan last time I traveled to Nagano. I found this pepper shop and bought two of these http://shop.yawataya.co.jp/category/BIRDEYE/2530.html

I'm almost out and I desperately need more. Like 10 more. Will someone currently in Japan please help me? I'll send the money plus whatever it cost to ship to America and some for your troubles.

I'm an expert

There are website services that do that. http://www.takaski.com/ for example already sells Yawataya products, you just need to ask them for the specific one. In case you don't find anyone to help.

Fugu

I'm having a problem that maybe you longer term residents can help me out with. My bank tried to send me a card that I need for online banking/to confirm my address but instead of delivering it I've received a card saying that the post office can't confirm my address and that I need to send them a post card in the mail (even though I've received registered mail on multiple occasions).

The bank has summarily locked my account, in the meantime, which I'm somewhat okay with for right now but it means that the problem is somewhat urgent since I'm going to run out of cash eventually. I'd like to straighten this out as fast as possible; has anyone ever had to do this before? Do I need a stamp for a 郵便はがき? Can I just take it to the post office (nothing on the postcard indicates that this is possible)? I've never mailed anything in this country.

I'm an expert

Is all you're asking is whether or not you need a stamp? Post a pic of the card if you want, but I don't see the problem in just going to the local post office with it, confirming your address with them using some id, and picking up the mail you have on hold with them. Then just go to the bank and explain the situation to have them unlock the account. Is the issue that you some how wrote the wrong address when opening the bank account?

Gacha-pin

I'm having a problem that maybe you longer term residents can help me out with. My bank tried to send me a card that I need for online banking/to confirm my address but instead of delivering it I've received a card saying that the post office can't confirm my address and that I need to send them a post card in the mail (even though I've received registered mail on multiple occasions).

The bank has summarily locked my account, in the meantime, which I'm somewhat okay with for right now but it means that the problem is somewhat urgent since I'm going to run out of cash eventually. I'd like to straighten this out as fast as possible; has anyone ever had to do this before? Do I need a stamp for a 郵便はがき? Can I just take it to the post office (nothing on the postcard indicates that this is possible)? I've never mailed anything in this country.
Can you post what the card actually says? I guess the bank is asking you to send them a utility bill so that they can confirm your name and address.

I'm an expert

Wouldn't he have done that opening the account? Unless this is shinsei bank..it's shinsei isn't it lol.

Zoe

Speaking of mail, hopefully one of you could weigh in on this.

I have some concert tickets that are getting mailed under my friend's name the week before we get to Japan. I can either get them sent to her parents (whom we don't know) or to another friend who lives there.

If we get it sent to the friend, how risky is it that the mail will get rejected because the name doesn't match?
If we get it sent to her parents, how long does mail typically take to get around in Tokyo? (Specifically Chuo to Musashino)

Crayolan

So I guess since I turned 20 since I've come here, I was invited to my district's 成人治式.

Does anyone know what this entails? I have no idea what they do at these so I don't know if it's worth going. I'm also worried it might be awkward going as a foreigner especially when I'm still not that great at the language.

urfe

So I guess since I turned 20 since I've come here, I was invited to my district's 成人治式.

Does anyone know what this entails? I have no idea what they do at these so I don't know if it's worth going. I'm also worried it might be awkward going as a foreigner especially when I'm still not that great at the language.

From what I've heard the ceremony itself is boring like most Japanese ceremonies, but everything else about the day is very fun: getting dressed up, going around with people you know, and getting really drunk at night.

It would be most fun if you knew some other people turning 20 this year with you.

Get a Kimono and some booze. Also, it's 成人次式 :).

Top Bottom