• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

Crayolan

From what I've heard the ceremony itself is boring like most Japanese ceremonies, but everything else about the day is very fun: getting dressed up, going around with people you know, and getting really drunk at night.

It would be most fun if you knew some other people turning 20 this year with you.

Welp.

Get a Kimono and some booze. Also, it's 成人次式 :).

I was only looking at the romaji provided in the english part of the letter I received, but looking closer the kanji they use for it in the japanese section is actually different from what I used and from what you're suggesting here. It's not one I'm familiar with though.

Hey JGAF I'm drinkin fuyumonogatari how's it hangin? Fuuuck yeaaaH.

I've been in this country for over 5 years now and I sure do appreciate the beer.

Fugu

Can you post what the card actually says? I guess the bank is asking you to send them a utility bill so that they can confirm your name and address.
I already mailed it, but the card is from JP post, not the bank; it's saying that because I don't have a nameplate or any other indication that I live here that they can't confirm my address, meaning they can't leave the normal thing that they leave when you receive registered mail and you're not home.

The bank (新生) is trying to send me a card that lets me use online banking (it's a two step authentication thing). This is the second time they've sent it and basically every time it gets bounced back they lock my account and I have to phone them again.

If I get the card again, I'll post a picture of it, but I can read it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I was only looking at the romaji provided in the english part of the letter I received, but looking closer the kanji they use for it in the japanese section is actually different from what I used and from what you're suggesting here. It's not one I'm familiar with though.

Post a picture?

It's certainly neither of the options that have been posted thus far.

Should just be sei-jin-shiki.

If 次 was used anywhere, it would have probably been in 二次会 (ni-ji-kai), which more or less means afterparty.

Crayolan

Post a picture?

It's certainly neither of the options that have been posted thus far.

Should just be sei-jin-shiki.

If 次 was used anywhere, it would have probably been in 二次会 (ni-ji-kai), which more or less means afterparty.

No way to take a picture, so I just drew it in paint:
KOWh6NI.png

Between 人 and 式.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
No way to take a picture, so I just drew it in paint:
KOWh6NI.png

Between 人 and 式.

That's the simplified Chinese character for 儀, probably as used in 儀式(ぎしき), or ceremony.

I'm going to assume whatever section you were reading was the Chinese translation...

Crayolan

That's the simplified Chinese character for 儀, probably as used in 儀式(ぎしき), or ceremony.

I'm going to assume whatever section you were reading was the Chinese translation...

You're probably right and I'm an idiot. lol

Can japan gaf help me?

Where can i just buy a normal like $20 pillow in tokyo?

I went ro seiyu and sunshine city and i don't see anything.

Whats the Target like equivalent?

Nitori and Ikea too.

Also Don Quijote.

I went to the aki Donki and they didn't have any. I went to tokyu hands and they actually had a 1500 yen pillow. 2500 cover sheet though and only 1 choice, haha.

Will check out the other places too just to see the city.

Thanks guys.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Need a small favour from Japan GAF. Any of you that go and see Star Wars this week, could you post whether it has missing English subtitles? Eg if they have aliens talking that would normally be subtitled, they might be left out because it'd have Japanese subtitles for all dialog anyway.

If it doesn't (so is completely watchable) I'll take the family early next week. If it does have missing English subs I'll have to wait until Jan 9th when we're back in the uk.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Need a small favour from Japan GAF. Any of you that go and see Star Wars this week, could you post whether it has missing English subtitles? Eg if they have aliens talking that would normally be subtitled, they might be left out because it'd have Japanese subtitles for all dialog anyway.

If it doesn't (so is completely watchable) I'll take the family early next week. If it does have missing English subs I'll have to wait until Jan 9th when we're back in the uk.

Last big movies i went to see where in English with Japanese subtitles.

Jintor

Last big movies i went to see where in English with Japanese subtitles.

What he means is that there's bits where aliens speak alien and it's subtitled in english, but because it's gonna be playing in Japan, it's probably going to be in Japanese.

I'm gonna go see it on friday so i'll report back.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
What he means is that there's bits where aliens speak alien and it's subtitled in english, but because it's gonna be playing in Japan, it's probably going to be in Japanese.

Oh thanks, didn't understand that part :D

No response from them :(

Send me a PM with what you need.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Cheers. That lets me just chec this thread and I can avoid the Star Wars thread which will be crazy.

Just aee it twice, once here and again when you get back home. That's what i am gonna do, hehe.

What theatre are you gonna go to?

Oh I will :)

Probably one in makuhari. We're staying in Inage, so Chiba is probably closer but assuming makuhari will have a better setup.

Ayumi

From previous experience, it seems that Japan receives the copy processed for the US, so the "alien parts" (alien, gibberish, Spanish, French) will have English text as well. It might actually be hardcoded into the film Japan receives, but I have no idea.

I might just be talking bullshit though. But I seem to remember that I saw an English movie with Japanese subtitles, and the "alien speak" (I know you're referring to actual aliens btw, but I mean any foreign language), was also Japanese where the normal Japanese subtitles were located, but had English subtitles vertically on the right side in a yellow-like color. It could depend on each movie... we'll known once someone here can report back!

Got a question for you guys. Going to be studying abroad in 2017 for a year. Which would be the better option for living in for a year and just visiting the other for 1~2 weeks in terms of how much stuff there is to do over a long time and things to do in the surrounding area on day trips? Tokyo or Kansai region?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
This question seems to come up a lot. I usually ignore it but I guess I should write something just to start a conversation for others.

Are you really only concerned about 'stuff to do' when making this decision? What are you studying and why Japan? Depending on your major, your language goals, your industry goals, and how much you want Japan to be a part of your future, the answer to your question will vary greatly.

If all you're focusing on is 'how much stuff is there to do' then there are still things to consider in terms of your learning goals. Again, a specific industry? Regional differences in culture? The arts? Access to historical sites? Social events? Physical activities? Nightlife? Culinary choices? Access to other areas domestic and abroad? Access to foreigners? etc. etc.

Japan is very 'short period' travel friendly so the truth is you could live wherever and still have access to everything, it will just change how much planning and effort it takes to get certain places.

Edit: I guess just to drop all bullshit and get to the point, Kansai>Kantou and if you got a problem with that you can come seeee meeeeeee.

This question seems to come up a lot. I usually ignore it but I guess I should write something just to start a conversation for others.

Are you really only concerned about 'stuff to do' when making this decision? What are you studying and why Japan? Depending on your major, your language goals, your industry goals, and how much you want Japan to be a part of your future, the answer to your question will vary greatly.

If all you're focusing on is 'how much stuff is there to do' then there are still things to consider in terms of your learning goals. Again, a specific industry? Regional differences in culture? The arts? Access to historical sites? Social events? Physical activities? Nightlife? Culinary choices? Access to other areas domestic and abroad? Access to foreigners? etc. etc.

Japan is very 'short period' travel friendly so the truth is you could live wherever and still have access to everything, it will just change how much planning and effort it takes to get certain places.

Edit: I guess just to drop all bullshit and get to the point, Kansai>Kantou and if you got a problem with that you can come seeee meeeeeee.

I'll try to go into a bit more detail. As far as what I am studying abroad, I am mainly focusing on studying Japanese language. I am unsure as to whether I want to go to a standard university or choose to go to an actual private language school, feel free to throw me a suggestion on that topic if you so desire. As for future goals this is something I haven't really factored into my decision too much, I am getting a computer science degree which I'm not sure if I'm even really going to use; right now I plan on doing ESL for a fair amount of time (probably Seoul, South Korea not Japan, at least at first, yes I will probably be living in Japan at some point in the future but may not be for a good while).

As far as the other stuff; Nightlife in terms of clubs and such is something I am not really interested in. Food, I like food a lot so yes this is a big deal, I am a student so I have a limited budget, but I'm not going to be broke, I'll be able to support myself reasonably. Yes I am interested in hiking, historical sites, etc. Access to foreigners is not important at all honestly, I am very interested in making Japanese friends although I'm not sure how easy that will be, I don't want all my friends to just be westerners, so in that aspect how easy is it and what opportunities are there to meet and become friends with people as a foreigner in both of those areas. As far as access to other places I will be visiting Seoul and Taiwan, possibly Hong Kong as well.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Your first paragraph is confusing me too much, but rather than ask you to clarify I'll just drink a bottle of vodka.

Porcile

Damn, you're getting a CompSci degree, and you want to do ESL instead? I mean, let's be real, I'm going to do the whole ALT thing in Japan next year and even I think you don't need to consign yourself to that sort of level of failure just yet lol .Unless you suck at computer science, then by all means go ahead.

Damn, you're getting a CompSci degree, and you want to do ESL instead? I mean, let's be real, I'm going to do the whole ALT thing in Japan next year and even I think you don't need to consign yourself to that sort of level of failure just yet lol .Unless you suck at computer science, then by all means go ahead.

I mean I'm good at it, I have upwards of a 4.0. But I mean I look at where I want to go in life and even if I can make you know upwards of 100-150k, if it means I just live out the rest of my days going through the motions in suburban America its just not worth it to me. I mean yeah if I end up landing a job at a cool startup tech company in Seoul or Tokyo I'm probably not going to turn that down but I also don't want to be ran into the ground by work. Work week for a lot of development jobs here in the US are bad enough, let alone places like South Korea. I mean I plan on still utilizing my degree, I'll probably do some independent work involving it on the side to bring in some cash.

I'm really not a big spender at all, I am clueless what I would do with half of 100-150k. Its not that I feel like I won't be able to get into the CompSci field, I could pretty easily take my degree in a path that would net me 120k a year, but honestly I'd rather do this, and the flexibility of it and not being held down is appealing to me. My only concern with money is what I'm going to do in terms of saving and retirement, which yeah, I gotta figure out.

Porcile

I mean I'm good at it, I have upwards of a 4.0. But I mean I look at where I want to go in life and even if I can make you know upwards of 100-150k, if it means I just live out the rest of my days going through the motions in suburban America its just not worth it to me. I mean yeah if I end up landing a job at a cool startup tech company in Seoul or Tokyo I'm probably not going to turn that down but I also don't want to be ran into the ground by work. Work week for a lot of development jobs here in the US are bad enough, let alone places like South Korea. I mean I plan on still utilizing my degree, I'll probably do some independent work involving it on the side to bring in some cash.

I'm really not a big spender at all, I am clueless what I would do with half of 100-150k. Its not that I feel like I won't be able to get into the CompSci field, I could pretty easily take my degree in a path that would net me 120k a year, but honestly I'd rather do this, and the flexibility of it and not being held down is appealing to me. My only concern with money is what I'm going to do in terms of saving and retirement, which yeah, I gotta figure out.

A computer science degree with a second language, if you make the most of your time in Japan could take you any number of places. ESL? Not so much. Something to think about.

I'm an expert

Spoken like someone young and naive. Those were the days. I really need to favorite that post from zefah because he worded great and I keep wanting to quote it. The gist is..why would you get a higher education in an advanced field in a first world country, only to go do what is the equivalent of working at a starbucks in another first world country.

A computer science degree can net you a nice job in the Tokyo and/or Osaka region, but even there it's not that easy to find something a western IT guy is used to. So the standard system engineer here is basically a programmer with some network skills and it's fucking boring - zombie life. I'm in IT in Fukuoka and I'm not a programmer, but a network engineer. I lucked out by getting this job two years ago, which I will quit by the end of this year tho. Anyway, what I wanted to say is, a job in IT in Japan can be nice, but the majority of it isn't. It's plain salary man life and I'm not sure if you want that either.

Porcile

A computer science degree can net you a nice job in the Tokyo and/or Osaka region, but even there it's not that easy to find something a western IT guy is used to. So the standard system engineer here is basically a programmer with some network skills and it's fucking boring - zombie life. I'm in IT in Fukuoka and I'm not a programmer, but a network engineer. I lucked out by getting this job two years ago, which I will quit by the end of this year tho. Anyway, what I wanted to say is, a job in IT in Japan can be nice, but the majority of it isn't. It's plain salary man life and I'm not sure if you want that either.

Fair enough, I don't know much about the line of work.

You can use English teaching as a stepping stone or whatever to get a visa, but if loaf of bread is skilled and does what he needs to be able to speak Japanese then ESL is selling his abilities and valuable skill set completely short, and is just a terrible long term plan in general.

Spoken like someone young and naive. Those were the days. I really need to favorite that post from zefah because he worded great and I keep wanting to quote it. The gist is..why would you get a higher education in an advanced field in a first world country, only to go do what is the equivalent of working at a starbucks in another first world country.

I mean I'm not tied to do it forever, ESL gives me the ability to roam around for a while and live in different places, something a lot; most; other job options won't allow me to do. Once I figure out where I want to settle down I can look into more lucrative prospects but for now, no.

Also please direct me to the starbucks where I can make the equivalent of 30-40k usd a year.

I'm an expert

I will let people more in touch with that scene respond to that and other alt questions.

Let me phrase it like this.. why don't you study what you actually have interest in and try to do what..you actually have interest in..? If that happens to be esl, why not study education? Or you're basically hedging that once the dream of being roaming youngster ends you'll have something 'real' to fall back on..? I guess then pick something more fun for you than compsci.

Anyway I'll stop there since people should go back to your original question.

Resilient

I mean I'm not tied to do it forever, ESL gives me the ability to roam around for a while and live in different places, something a lot; most; other job options won't allow me to do. Once I figure out where I want to settle down I can look into more lucrative prospects but for now, no.

Also please direct me to the starbucks where I can make the equivalent of 30-40k usd a year.

Have you started studying Japanese? Go here if you are planning to start soon
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232671&page=88

Have you started studying Japanese? Go here if you are planning to start soon
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232671&page=88

I'm actually currently self studying Korean which I enjoy. I'm holding off on starting Japanese because if I start now I'll be forced to get myself to be able to take the level 2 course at my uni or end up retreading most of the material in the level 1 course.

Anyway I'll stop there since people should go back to your original question.

Yeah not sure how Tokyo vs Osaka turned into an analysis of my life goals.

Porcile

I'm actually currently self studying Korean which I enjoy. I'm holding off on starting Japanese because if I start now I'll be forced to get myself to be able to take the level 2 course at my uni or end up retreading most of the material in the level 1 course.

Yeah not sure how Tokyo vs Osaka turned into an analysis of my life goals.

Sorry, it was just something which stood out. Do want you want obviously.

There is an ALT/Teaching in Asia thread, but it's kinda dead.
Like all our hopes and dreams.
. You will still get answers to questions and information though if it's something you want to do further down the line.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=702034

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I don't know how specific a computer science degree is in the US, but there should be lots of job sectors that allow you to be mobile - either working abroad or working untethered so you can effectively be anywhere. You don't need to be shackled to a desk

maszu

Neo Member
Pension question for the long-term Japan GAFers,

I started out in Japan few years ago on Working Holiday Visa, pension contribution was not required. Fast-forward to today... I got two years worth of outstanding payments. I'm not leaving any time soon (switching jobs in a few months). Do I just pay this to my town hall, as much as I can or do they want lump sums? Any help appropriated.

urfe

Pension question for the long-term Japan GAFers,

I started out in Japan few years ago on Working Holiday Visa, pension contribution was not required. Fast-forward to today... I got two years worth of outstanding payments. I'm not leaving any time soon (switching jobs in a few months). Do I just pay this to my town hall, as much as I can or do they want lump sums? Any help appropriated.

I imagine you wouldn't have to pay it al at once as "I don't have the money to" is a legitimate reason not to. Plus, they want you to start paying it anyways, and not run away from it.

I'd be careful about from when you are obliged to pay pension. City halls (at least a few years back) had no real way of knowing when you became a resident (a prerequisite to need to pay).

Go, ask, inform and be friendly. There are dickhead city hall officials, but my experience has been only positive.

I'm an expert

no one actually jumped in on loaf of bread's question o_o

Maybe I should try to spur another conversation.. as some people might know.. I only recently started to dive into the ocean known as 'reddit'. One topic I saw on a subreddit that would relate to this one is that there were a lot of foreigners that didn't have or didn't use their inkan/hanko.

This blew my mind. Putting aside a lot of those responses might be from temporary visitors/alts, how is everyone else's experience?

I have used my hanko probably 1 trillion times, no exaggeration. There can be month-long stretches where I use it daily.

Anyone know of any good tempura places near Shinjuku? It's my wife's birthday next week and she wants to have tempura. Nothing too expensive, just good reasonably priced food. I was looking at Tempura Tsunahachi but it seems to have mixed reviews on Yelp.

Porcile

Noob question, but as a foreigner with a Japanese partner (if I remember correctly) do you use kanji or katakana for your hanko?

Top Bottom