• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Top 10 Software Sales LTD (PS1, PS2, XB, GC, GBA)

john tv

Courtesy of today's Famitsu (note: US titles used often to avoid confusion):

PlayStation:

1. Dragon Quest VII: Warriors of Eden (Square Enix) - 3,893,293
2. Final Fantasy VIII (Square Enix) - 3,501,588
3. Final Fantasy VII (Square Enix) - 3,277,776
4. Final Fantasy IX (Square Enix) - 2,707,301
5. Gran Turismo (SCEJ) - 2,186,375
6. Resident Evil 2 (Capcom) - 2,154,975
7. Hot Shots Golf (SCEJ) - 1,777,895
8. Derby Stallion (Ascii) - 1,737,819
9. Gran Turismo 2 (SCEJ) - 1,460,687
10. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (Capcom) - 1,383,282

PlayStation 2:

1. Final Fantasy X (Square Enix) - 2,325,215 *
2. Final Fantasy X-2 (Square Enix) - 1,960,937
3. Dragon Quest V: The Bride of Heaven (Square Enix) - 1,604,782
4. Gran Turismo 3 A-spec (SCEJ) - 1,438,743
5. Dynasty Warriors 4 (Koei) - 1,197,349
6. World Soccer Winning Eleven 6 (Konami) - 1,116,786
7. World Soccer Winning Eleven 7 (Konami) - 1,100,238
8. Hot Shots Golf Fore! (SCEJ) - 1,083,079
9. Dynasty Warriors 3 (Koei) - 1,042,819
10. Samurai Warriors (Koei) - 1,019,817

GameCube:

1. Super Smash Bros. Melee (Nintendo) - 1,349,418
2. Mario Party 4 (Nintendo) - 902,827
3. Super Mario Sunshine (Nintendo) - 789,989
4. Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (Nintendo) - 785,982
5. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Nintendo) - 742,609
6. Mario Party 5 (Nintendo) - 695,530
7. Pokemon Colosseum (Nintendo) - 653,600
8. Animal Crossing (Nintendo) - 641,300
9. Pikmin (Nintendo) - 507,011
10. Pikmin 2 (Nintendo) - 455,334

Xbox:

1. Dead or Alive 3 (Tecmo) - 217,149
2. Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball (Tecmo) - 127,576
3. Halo (Microsoft) - 76,963
4. Ninja Gaiden (Tecmo) - 56,544
5. Murakumo (From Software) - 52,436
6. Genma Onimusha (Capcom) - 49,990
7. Panzer Dragoon Orta (Sega) - 43,850
8. Shin Megami Tensei NINE (Atlus) - 42,920
9. Project Gotham: World Street Racer (Microsoft) - 41,751
10. Soul Calibur II (Namco) - 31,815

Game Boy Advance:

1. Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire (Nintendo) - 5,148,966
2. Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen (Nintendo) - 2,310,407
3. Pokemon Emerald (Nintendo) - 1,023,707
4. Mario Kart: Super Circuit (Nintendo) - 938,175
5. Mega Man Battle Network 4: Blue Moon/Red Sun (Capcom) - 928,491
6. Super Mario Advance 2 (Nintendo) - 919,234
7. Super Mario Advance (Nintendo) - 887,505
8. Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland (Nintendo) - 832,901
9. WarioWare Inc. (Nintendo) - 622,898
10. Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Heart (Square Enix) - 593,812

* - soon to be utterly PWNED by Dragon Quest VIII

john tv said:
Courtesy of today's Famitsu (note: US titles used often to avoid confusion):

JTV. thanks! Wonderful.

a) The JPN public agrees that FFVIII > VII! :)
b) POKEMON > *
c) 3 x 1million sellers on GBA? :O :O Fucking GBA is good to Capcom. I guess that's why Nintendo got MMCM + CE. Haha MS
d) Pikmin2 is so close to 1. :heart:
e) 1 x 1million seller on the cube? Disgraceful
f) I'm sure RE1 would have showed up on that chart if they didn't dilute the numbers with 3x editions on the PS

WarPig

Hey, John, what's your bet as far as initial sales of DQVIII? I'm surprised they haven't released something crowing about all the pre-orders yet.

DFS.

jiggle

Wow, FFX sold almost the same number in Japan and US?
FFX-2 is nearing 2mil?
KH is not even in the top 10?

TheGreenGiant said:
JTV. thanks! Wonderful.

:)
Surprised SNX didn't start milking VIII already.

Socreges

Banned
PlayStation 2:

1. Final Fantasy X (Square Enix) - 2,325,215 *
2. Final Fantasy X-2 (Square Enix) - 1,960,937
3. Dragon Quest V: The Bride of Heaven (Square Enix) - 1,604,782
4. Gran Turismo 3 A-spec (SCEJ) - 1,438,743
5. Dynasty Warriors 4 (Koei) - 1,197,349
6. World Soccer Winning Eleven 6 (Konami) - 1,116,786
7. World Soccer Winning Eleven 7 (Konami) - 1,100,238
8. Hot Shots Golf Fore! (SCEJ) - 1,083,079
9. Dynasty Warriors 3 (Koei) - 1,042,819
10. Samurai Warriors (Koei) - 1,019,817
What is Winning Eleven 8 at?

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
God, look at Nintendo's first party sales. They would be so dominant as a third party.

Not that I think that'll happen any time soon, just saying.

Oh and I had no idea Hot Shots was so big.

cvxfreak

Nice numbers, although I wish Famitsu updated them from when they last appeared on charts.

EDIT: Nevermind, they are updated. Mario Party 4 has sold about 500 copies this whole year.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
TheGreenGiant said:
JTV. thanks! Wonderful.

No, you see...it's like this:
People bought FFVII and loved it. They loved it so much they also bought FFVIII without even thinking twice. While in the stores, they told everyone there how great FFVIII would be, and those people bought it too (resulting in the 400000+ copies sold in favour for FFVIII). So in essence, the FFVIII numbers are further proof of that FFVII is the better game!

jiggle said:
Wow, FFX sold almost the same number in Japan and US?
FFX-2 is nearing 2mil?
KH is not even in the top 10?

:)
Surprised SNX didn't start milking VIII already.

I expect. Milk VII first; get money from US + JPN cloudnuts. Milk VIII next.

The KH thing is odd. You sure the list is correct? KH is a million seller so unless its like 100-200 copies less than Samurai Warriors.

Kiriku said:
No, you see...it's like this:
People bought FFVII and loved it. They loved it so much they also bought FFVIII without even thinking twice. While in the stores, they told everyone there how great FFVIII would be, and those people bought it too (resulting in the 400000+ copies sold in favour for FFVIII). So in essence, the FFVIII numbers are further proof of that FFVII is the better game!
IAWTP, because FFVIII was such a dissapointment, FFIX sales were signifianctly lower.

I bought FFVIII only because I loved FFVI & FFVII so much. I hated FFVIII. As a result I didn't buy FFIX, I rented it.

john tv

WarPig said:
Hey, John, what's your bet as far as initial sales of DQVIII? I'm surprised they haven't released something crowing about all the pre-orders yet.

DFS.
Hmm. I would say it's not out of the question that first week sales will break 2 million, but it's hard to say for sure. I think it's a safe bet, though.

It'll definitely end up as the best-selling PS2 game of all-time in Japan though, I think that much is pretty much guaranteed.

AniHawk

Interesting that they didn't include International games or AF+e/e+

I think AC is really close to 1 million right now, those two versions combined.

john tv said:
2. Final Fantasy VIII (Square Enix) - 3,501,588
3. Final Fantasy VII (Square Enix) - 3,277,776

Yes, it makes PERFECT sense to give us five FFVII sequels and zero FFVIII spinoffs.

FUCK YOU TOO.

Jonnyram

JackFrost2012 said:
Yes, it makes PERFECT sense to give us five FFVII sequels and zero FFVIII spinoffs.

FUCK YOU TOO.
I understand this sentiment but how exactly could they make spinoffs from FFVIII? It starts off with all the kids at school together and ends with
well I don't know what the hell happened, but I think half the cast were dead
. At least FFVII has lots of potential before and after. Besides, I think it has more to do with how attached to the story the creators were, not how they sold.

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
I understand this sentiment but how exactly could they make spinoffs from FFVIII? It starts off with all the kids at school together and ends with
. At least FFVII has lots of potential before and after. Besides, I think it has more to do with how attached to the story the creators were, not how they sold.

I thought they would have done that stuff sooner rather than later, but ah well, better late than never.

Insertia

6. Resident Evil 2 (Capcom) - 2,154,975
10. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (Capcom) - 1,383,282
\

omg Capcom is fucking stupid for changing platforms. RE was still alive and kicking before the series ditched Playstation for Dreamcast and Gamecube.

Hmmm... Looks like FF is kind of stablizing at around an average of 2 million per game. Is the FF series getting a little tired?

Jonnyram said:

Well, up until Advent Children, I had always assumed that FFVII had ended with
all the cast as dead. :)
And you're wrong about the conclusion of FFVIII ... not sure where you got that idea. Did you see the ending?
There's that great "home video footage" of everyone at the party afterwards...

In any case, while the creators are certainly welcome to be "attached" to FFVII, most of the projects so far seem made just to milk, not because of any particular plot point or character that needed extrapolating.

On the otherhand, since I don't like FFVII much, I can just laugh this whoring off, while FFVIII whoring would cause me great physical distress. Sigh ... Square.

YOU SEE SQUARE? FFVIII > FFVII

What happened is, people bought FFVII. They loved it, so they bought FFVIII, which they hated, so they didn't buy FFIX. There's an example of this happening with Disney movies where people saw Aladdin, loved it and saw Lion King as a result but hated that so they didn't go se Pocahontas or whatever it was that came next.

JackFrost2012 said:
On the otherhand, since I don't like FFVII much, I can just laugh this whoring off, while FFVIII whoring would cause me great physical distress.

Yeah, as an FF VIII turbofan (as I'm sure you know ;) ), I'd prefer that there weren't tons of lame FF VIII spin-offs. Sure, if they had a really good idea for a follow-up that had a plausible reason to exist, I'd be all for it, but Irvine May Cry? No thanks.

cvxfreak

ourumov said:
Seeing the GBA numbers...I will call idiots to Nintendo if they switch development from GBA to DS.

Well, in the case of something like Pokemon, the DS needs it more at this point.

Mashing

AndriaSang said:
What happened is, people bought FFVII. They loved it, so they bought FFVIII, which they hated, so they didn't buy FFIX. There's an example of this happening with Disney movies where people saw Aladdin, loved it and saw Lion King as a result but hated that so they didn't go se Pocahontas or whatever it was that came next.

I was going to type the exact same thing but my browser freaked out and I couldn't be asked to type it again.

Top Bottom