• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Hey folks, I'll be staying in Tokyo for the first 10 days in April with plans to see pro wrestling in Sumo Hall and baseball in Tokyo Dome City. It will be my second visit to Japan, first was during 2009. This thread has been a great refresher for the trip. I'm going to be spending a day in Kasukabe, Saitama for a wrestling show. So far I can't find much else to see or do there other than parks and museums. Is their anything else I should look out for while I'm in Kasukabe?

Could check out the onsen I guess?

Tokyo Dome reminded me of a dumpier version of the Metrodome.

When I saw a game at the Tokyo Dome the Metrodome was the first thing that came to mind. I like the area around it a lot though.

Baseball is probably going to be a focus of my trip in May. I've seen a game at the Tokyo Dome and have been to a concert at QVC Marine Field. I'll probably try to go to at least two other stadiums, probably Yokohama Municipal and maybe Meiji Jingu.

For those that have gone to baseball games, how have you gotten tickets? Previously I used Japan Ball which was convenient (and the guy who runs it stopped by my seat before the game and gave me a copy of the English media guide he puts out every year). But as convenient as it was, there was a not insignificant finder's fee. If I can just buy from a Lawson's that would probably be better this time around.

cj_iwakura

I have my eye on a trip that's in late April, 17-23, at the Narita International Garden Hotel.

Is that too late for the cherry blossoms?

I have my eye on a trip that's in late April, 17-23, at the Narita International Garden Hotel.

Is that too late for the cherry blossoms?

Yeah, that's too late. And a hotel in Narita? That's about 2 hours by train away from Tokyo. (Unless you pay extra each day for the faster limited express trains)

elhaym

Here's the latest forecast I saw on Twitter earlier this evening. Lines up with my trip pretty dang well, I'm excited! I maaaaay do 2-3 days at the tail end in Kyoto, undecided. Just wanna go back to Teramachi, really.

https://japancheapo.com/living/2015-japan-cherry-blossom-season-forecast/

TC_2016_sakura_map2-2-770x770.jpg

Here's the latest forecast I saw on Twitter earlier this evening. Lines up with my trip pretty dang well, I'm excited! I maaaaay do 2-3 days at the tail end in Kyoto, undecided. Just wanna go back to Teramachi, really.

https://japancheapo.com/living/2015-japan-cherry-blossom-season-forecast/

The source they used got an even newer forecast now:
http://sakura.weathermap.jp/smt/

And the one from JWA has been updated as well:
http://www.jwa.or.jp/news/2016/02/post-000637.html
http://www.japan-guide.com/sakura/

Me and a friend are still looking at Airbnb's and found a nice one in Shinjuku. To get to some places we'd have to take a subway, I was wondering if the JR pass covered that?

sfedai0

Banned
Me and a friend are still looking at Airbnb's and found a nice one in Shinjuku. To get to some places we'd have to take a subway, I was wondering if the JR pass covered that?

Nope. And some if not all have local and express lines. Makes sure you know which one you should be taking.

If you're just staying in Tokyo without going on a round trip to at least Kyoto or further away getting a JR Pass would be a waste of money.

Sakura

I'm looking into flying into Fukuoka for early April.
The flights I'm interested in don't arrive until around 10pm at night though.
If a hotel says
Check-in: 12:00
Last check-in: 29:30
Does that mean I can check in all the way up until 530am? I don't travel very often so it is a little confusing.

If a hotel says
Check-in: 12:00
Last check-in: 29:30
Does that mean I can check in all the way up until 530am? I don't travel very often so it is a little confusing.

Yup. Very few countries uses times after 24 so even people who travel often can get confused :p

Sakura

Yup. Very few countries uses times after 24 so even people who travel often can get confused :p

Thanks.
Now I just need to figure out if I want to take Air China for 100 bucks less, and arrive at 10AM but have to leave at 2AM, or take ANA and leave at 4pm and arrive at 10pm for a hundred bucks more :S
Last time I went to Japan I took China Eastern but didn't really enjoy it a whole lot.

Now I just need to figure out if I want to take Air China for 100 bucks less, and arrive at 10AM but have to leave at 2AM, or take ANA and leave at 4pm and arrive at 10pm for a hundred bucks more :S

That's the metal/operating carrier right? Guess you should check seatmaps and see what seat configurations they got if that's a deciding factor.

And airline reviews:
http://www.airlinequality.com/airline-reviews/air-china/
http://www.airlinequality.com/airline-reviews/ana-all-nippon-airways/

Thanks.
Last time I went to Japan I took China Eastern but didn't really enjoy it a whole lot.

Is the Air China nonstop? Most flights from the US to Japan via Chinese carriers have very long layovers.

sfedai0

Banned
I mean, these flights are super tempting except the fact that youre going in to a super busy travel season where hotels will be overpriced or booked up.

I mean, these flights are super tempting except the fact that youre going in to a super busy travel season where hotels will be overpriced or booked up.

Gotta check some accommodation prices before you book I guess. Could always try to find some AirBnB place as well :p

J-travellers, what's the best time to go to Tokyo for autumn foliage? Preferably still in warm weather.

Go in early-ish/mid October and do a day trip or a short stay in Nikko if you want to see autumn colours.

If you want too see it in Tokyo itself then you gotta wait till late November.

You can see some of the photos I took in Nikko in the Fall 2015 photo album in the OP.

Fritz

Go in early-ish/mid October and do a day trip or a short stay in Nikko if you want to see autumn colours.

If you want too see it in Tokyo itself then you gotta wait till late November.

You can see some of the photos I took in Nikko in the Fall 2015 photo album in the OP.

Thanks! Nikko was the plan!

cj_iwakura

Umm trying narrowing your search parameters before asking us there are thousands of hotels in Tokyo and Tokyo is large.

First of all budget? Which area do you want to stay in? Do you want to try AirBnb?

Near Akihabara I guess? I have no idea what AirBnb entails. Hoping ~$1300 or less for flight & hotel.

Yeah, I forwarded the info to one of my coworkers who was interested in visiting Japan, so he might be buying airfare this weekend as well.

Right now my plan to go to a couple baseball games at the various stadiums around Tokyo and then Deep Purple is playing at the Budokan, so that should be fun to go see.

Still having figured out what I'm going to do about hotel.

Sakura

Is the Air China nonstop? Most flights from the US to Japan via Chinese carriers have very long layovers.

Nah, there are no nonstop flights to Fukuoka from where I am.
The Air China one had a layover in Beijing, while the ANA one stops in Haneda. Just ended up going with ANA.

Salamando

What would look less touristy - a backpack or canvas messenger bag? Or should I stick with the third option of "You're a 6'2" White guy. You're gonna look like a tourist even if you have a business suit and briefcase. Just go for comfort, then style"?

Darksol

What would look less touristy - a backpack or canvas messenger bag? Or should I stick with the third option of "You're a 6'2" White guy. You're gonna look like a tourist even if you have a business suit and briefcase. Just go for comfort, then style"?

This.

I'd personally pick a messenger bag/satchel but that's up to you.

Zatoth

Uh I got a round trip ticket from LAX->Tokyo for $486 today 😊

Where do I stay?
What do I do?

Had good experiences with K's House (Tokyo, Fuji, Hiroshima, Kyoto), Khaosan (Tokyo, Sapporo) and J-Hoppers (Osaka).

Just check the reviews on Hostelword. Should be enough good places to stay.

damn. i wish i had seen this. Does Delta have any dreamliner planes that go to Japan?

Its not just Delta that the deals are for, you can get the deals with Delta, United and All Nippon. There might be a handful out there for American and Japan Air, but haven't seen many.

As for the 787, only US carrier that currently uses them is United, not sure in what capacity, however.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Its not just Delta that the deals are for, you can get the deals with Delta, United and All Nippon. There might be a handful out there for American and Japan Air, but haven't seen many.

As for the 787, only US carrier that currently uses them is United, not sure in what capacity, however.

Well I'm flying JAL on the dreamliner, might have to check out united when i go back to japan probably next year.

If their fares are cheap enough i might try an airbus.

Dereck

If I'm a 25 year old US citizen with a driver's license and a passport, what else do I need to be able to fly to Japan besides a plane ticket?

Top Bottom