• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Technically you probably don't even need a driver's license, just a passport. When I've flown to Japan I've only ever had to show my passport as ID.

Stuart444

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2016/03/...n-effort-to-stop-ticket-scalping-and-resales/

This doesn’t sit well with the museum’s management, and so from July the Ghibli Museum will be asking visitors to show some form of ID, such as a passport or driver’s license, at the gate. If the name on the ID doesn’t match the one the reservation was initially made under, the ticket holder won’t be allowed to enter.

In addition, the museum will be selling a portion of its tickets for July and August, the Japanese summer vacation period, through a prepurchase lottery system, which it also employed last year. For those wishing to visit in July, lottery applications ca be made between 10 a.m. on May 25 and 11:59 p.m. on May 31. Winners will be informed by email on June 9, one day before the general reservations are opened and given the option to purchase up to six tickets. For those wishing to visit in August, lottery applications will be accepted between June 25 and 30, with winners contacted on July 9.

Is that at a fairly central and/or easy to find location?

It's not the most central place, but you can walk half a mile to the JR Ōmori train station and take the Keihin-Tōhoku Line trains directly to Akihabara.

It's also right next to Keikyu Ōmorikaigan Station so it should be relatively easy to get to the airports/find the place. Might be noisy with trains though, so maybe bring earplugs.

I'll probably head down to Yoshino around the 19th or 20th and hope for the best. No issues with that right?

Well, you shouldn't have too high hopes about seeing any cherry blossoms. Robot Carnival went there on the 27th last year and didn't see any:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=157684756&postcount=3979

And this page got data for the last 20 years:
http://www.sakura.yoshino.jp/kaika_jyoukyou.htm

The earliest the sakura has opened in the lower parts of Yoshino is on the 25th.

Other than that, you should be fine.

Darren870

What up bruv! Say hi to Dotonbori for me :D

Ey bruv! Haha will do! Haven't been to Osaka before so looking forward to it! Though we are heading to Tokyo and the country side too of course.

Well, you shouldn't have too high hopes about seeing any cherry blossoms. Robot Carnival went there on the 27th last year and didn't see any:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=157684756&postcount=3979

And this page got data for the last 20 years:
http://www.sakura.yoshino.jp/kaika_jyoukyou.htm

The earliest the sakura has opened in the lower parts of Yoshino is on the 25th.

Other than that, you should be fine.

Ahh shame. I'll take a look at that website and see if there is anything earlier. I am flexible till the 21st so can travel a bit.

Yoshino looks like a good place for some walking and hiking. One of the other reasons I decided to go there. Though I hear Wakayama has great hiking as well.

Darren870

Well, if you're willing to travel relatively far, then there's cherry blossoms right now in Kawazu:
http://www.kawazuzakura.net/sp/

That's one of the few places you can see cherry blossoms this early. If not, then you can always cheat and get some pics of plum blossoms instead now ;p

Ahh cool. Thanks for that, might make it down there as we were thinking about going to Izu.

Guess I'll see how determined the girlfriend and I are. She seemed kinda bummed, but maybe we'll make the effort. Have over 2 weeks there!

cj_iwakura

Not sure what's going on, but all the Travelocity prices seem to have plummeted in cost.

Heh, and I noticed the Omori is close to Shinagawa Aquarium and the Wangan highway.

Booked a week in late April. Probably late for Cherry Blossoms, but it's my first time. Very excited. Spent 650 on the ticket and think that is pretty great.

If you really want to see cherry blossoms then you could take a day trip up further north in Japan.

Nice, I'll have to take a look at our schedule. I think we'll be pretty tight on our week, but it could be pretty fun to see more of the country. (But if not, another reason to go back)

Pretty early in the planning stage since it was on such a whim. Thinking of trying to get an Airbnb in Shinjuku.

Personaj

Neo Member
Hey everyone, I'm traveling to Yokohama at the end of March and staying there until August 1st for school. Any places I definitely need to check out while in Yokohama? I'm really big on music, so I definitely wanna check out some local concerts (I was trying to buy tickets to see Charisma.com in Yokohama but I have no idea how to purchase it from the site >_>) and do some shopping.

Also, what's the best way for getting around the area since I'll be there longer than a couple of weeks? I definitely want to check out other cities but I don't really know if the JR pass is worth it if I won't be traveling the entire time. Thanks!

Also, what's the best way for getting around the area since I'll be there longer than a couple of weeks? I definitely want to check out other cities but I don't really know if the JR pass is worth it if I won't be traveling the entire time. Thanks!

The JR Pass is only for tourists with temporary visitor status. You can't buy one if you're there on a student visa.

SKINNER!

Banned
Tokyo Game Show worth checking out this year? I did attend it before, hanged out with a Gaffer that was working there. It was ok but had no interest in going back since.

Do want to check out the Sumo wrestling tournament this September too. Any clue how to get tickets for that?

Tokyo Game Show worth checking out this year? I did attend it before, hanged out with a Gaffer that was working there. It was ok but had no interest in going back since.

Do want to check out the Sumo wrestling tournament this September too. Any clue who to get tickets for that?

I'm most likely gonna go if you wanna meet up.

You can get sumo tickets here if you want to order yourself:
http://sumo.pia.jp/en/

Or you could get somebody to buy them for you:
https://buysumotickets.com

I am planning to visit Kansai in a month's time. I have things semi-planned atm (which is the way I want it to be). I currently have some questions, and likely more on the way as I get closer to going:

1) I will be staying a couple of nights at a Ryokan and my understanding is that you need indoor slippers (uwabaki). What is a good price? Should I buy them in the UK before I go (no idea where to find some), or when I reach Japan?

2) I plan to get the JR wide pass. Are the stops only the locations shown on the map, or are there other stops on the way that are not shown? I might decide to make a few stops in random places to see what some less touristy areas are like.

3) This concerns drinking alcohol: Is it considered socially unacceptable to, say, drink a can of beer in public, or is drinking only done in private/publicly enclosed spaces? I am not some rowdy arsehole when drunk and have no intention of getting plastered, but I still must ask.

4) I guess one last thing is, I have an Anki deck which I have been adding to as I learn to read Japanese. Does anyone have a list of useful words that will help me get around (location names, slang, useful words) or even general recommendations for areas of Japanese language. I am currently getting to grips with the Kansai dialect, so I guess I have that covered.

Any help would be appreciated.

Übersandvich;197773533 said:
1) I will be staying a couple of nights at a Ryokan and my understanding is that you need indoor slippers (uwabaki). What is a good price? Should I buy them in the UK before I go (no idea where to find some), or when I reach Japan?

2) I plan to get the JR wide pass. Are the stops only the locations shown on the map, or are there other stops on the way that are not shown? I might decide to make a few stops in random places to see what some less touristy areas are like.

1. The ryokan will provide them for you if they're one that requires slippers.

2. There are other stops that's not shown.

Zoe

Übersandvich;197773533 said:
3) This concerns drinking alcohol: Is it considered socially unacceptable to, say, drink a can of beer in public, or is drinking only done in private/publicly enclosed spaces? I am not some rowdy arsehole when drunk and have no intention of getting plastered, but I still must ask.

I'm having trouble picturing what you want to do. Like drink walking down the street? Walking around a park?

I'm having trouble picturing what you want to do. Like drink walking down the street? Walking around a park?

I guess. I have no actual idea of what I would be doing, just as part of other activites like sitting at a bench, or having a picnic, on the train on the way to a destination, etc. as opposed to pre-drinking for a night out or spending time at the bar. Just wandering about ettiquette in general.

Is it a weird question? :p

Also, does a U.K provisional licence work as I.D there or will they be asking for my passport? I am in my twenties but look in my late teens.

Stuart444

Übersandvich;197774743 said:
Also, does a U.K provisional licence work as I.D there or will they be asking for my passport? I am in my twenties but look in my late teens.

You will need your passport on you at all times regardless so you might as well use that for any ID related stuff

SKINNER!

Banned
I guess. I have no actual idea of what I would be doing, just as part of other activites like sitting at a bench, or having a picnic, on the train on the way to a destination, etc. as opposed to pre-drinking for a night out or spending time at the bar. Just wandering about ettiquette in general.

Drinking in public is legal in Japan. You sometimes see salary men drinking outdoors after a day's work so I don't see the harm in drinking in a park during the day with friends or even on the street with some street food (like in dotonburi not some random street. That's just looks strange). So long as you're not planning on carrying a six pack in your rucksack and cracking open a can every 30 minutes while you're wandering around Japan like a rowdy, obnoxious wank then you should be ok. Just be responsible about it I wouldn't recommend drinking on the train though as you'll just look out of place (unless it's in the shinkansen with some food since you have a table). Also, correct me if I'm wrong but legal drinking age is 20+.

Also, universal travelling rule: always use your passport as ID regardless of what country you're in. USA/Japan/Angola...whatever. Passport is the ID that's accepted worldwide. Nobody outside the UK gives a rat's ass about your driving license especially a provisional one.

You will need your passport on you at all times regardless so you might as well use that for any ID related stuff

This is true. It's a legal requirement to carry it with you at all times.

Would be best to sit down somewhere and don't walk around. Same with food, unless it's an area with food stalls like a festival or something. On the trains it's a no-no unless it's the shinkansen or some other similar trains.

I doubt most people will know what your UK license even is, so show your passport. You can't use your UK license to drive in Japan either, so there's no point in bringing it.

N0VAM0D

Hey everyone! I posted in here a while ago regarding my trip to Japan, and since then I've made a bit of progress in my planning, and just wanted to ask a few questions and see what you all think!

My itinerary for the time being is like this:

May 10th – 24th: Tokyo
May 24th – 26th: Takayama
May 26th: day trip in Shiwakarago
May 26th – 28th: Kanazawa
May 28th – June 4th: Kyoto
June 4th: day trip to Nara
June 4th – June 5th: Koyasan
June 5th – 9th: Osaka
June 9th – 11th: chillin in Tokyo until I fly back home on the 11th!

So, that's a whole month of stuff. How does it sound? I've already booked some accommodation for both Tokyo and Kyoto, but I'm able to change it all around if I have to! In Tokyo, I'm staying in Ikebukuro at Book and Bed, and then for the second week in Tokyo I'm staying at Bunka Hostel in Asakusa. I think the locations are okay, because I don't mind travelling 10–15 minutes every day to get to where I want to be, but if you reckon I could re-think it, please let me know! For my week in Kyoto, I'm staying at Len, which is very central! Apart from that, I don't have any other accommodation figured out, so I'd really appreciate some suggestions!

Oh, I forgot to ask! What should I do about rail passes? It's all a bit confusing to me!

Hey everyone! I posted in here a while ago regarding my trip to Japan, and since then I've made a bit of progress in my planning, and just wanted to ask a few questions and see what you all think!

Oh, I forgot to ask! What should I do about rail passes? It's all a bit confusing to me!

Your itinerary looks good to me. Your places to stay in Tokyo seems good. Ikebukuro is ok for going to attractions in the western parts of Tokyo and Asakusa is good for going to attractions in the eastern parts of Tokyo.

You should get a 1 week JR Pass for 22nd May-28th May for Tokyo->Takayama->Kanazawa->Kyoto. Any more would probably be a waste of money.

For your trip to Koyasan you should get the Koyasan-World Heritage Ticket.

During your stay in Osaka you could get an Osaka Amazing Pass depending on what attractions you're planning to see.

-

N0VAM0D

Your itinerary looks good to me. Your places to stay in Tokyo seems good. Ikebukuro is ok for going to attractions in the west parts of Tokyo and Asakusa is good for going to attractions in the east parts of Tokyo.

You should get a 1 week JR Pass for 22nd May-28th May for Tokyo->Takayama->Kanazawa->Kyoto. Any more would probably be a waste of money.

For your trip to Koyasan you should get the Koyasan-World Heritage Ticket.

Thanks heaps! And yeah, that was my original idea, doing one week exploring the west, and one week exploring the east. Because you said Ikebukuro would be only okay, do you reckon I should reconsider?

Also, one week of JR pass? Sweet. Which trains should that allow me to catch? I don't know how much of a hassle getting around Tokyo will be at this point.

And I'll check it out, thanks so much!

Also, one week of JR pass? Sweet. Which trains should that allow me to catch? I don't know how much of a hassle getting around Tokyo will be at this point.

It will allow you to take JR trains the 2 last days in Tokyo, the JR Tokaido/Hokuriku Shinkansen->JR Hida trains from Tokyo to Takayama (about 14-15.5K JPY), the JR Hokuriku Shinkansen->JR Hida trains from Takayama to Kanazawa (about 6.5K JPY) and the JR Thunderbird train from Kanazawa to Kyoto (about 6.5-7K JPY).

Depending on what route and seating you choose the total for those 3 train trips will be 27K-29K JPY (+whatever use you get for it in those 2 days in Tokyo) and the JR Pass costs 29K.

This is unless you're willing to take local trains/buses or if you plan to bring your luggage with you on your day trip to Shiwakarago and go directly from Shiwakarago to Kanazawa, then you should probably not buy a JR Pass.

N0VAM0D

It will allow you to take JR trains the 2 last days in Tokyo, the JR Tokaido/Hokuriku Shinkansen->JR Hida trains from Tokyo to Takayama (about 14-15.5K JPY), the JR Hokuriku Shinkansen->JR Hida trains from Takayama to Kanazawa (about 6.5K JPY) and the JR Thunderbird train from Kanazawa to Kyoto (about 6.5-7K JPY).

Depending on what route and seating you choose the total for those 3 train trips will be 27K-29K JPY (+whatever use you get for it in those 2 days in Tokyo) and the JR Pass costs 29K.

This is unless you're willing to take local trains/buses or if you plan to bring your luggage with you on your day trip to Shiwakarago and go directly from Shiwakarago to Kanazawa, then you should probably not buy a JR Pass.

Ooh, okay! So, essentially, for the amount of times I'll need to use it, the JR pass would just end up being either a waste of money or pointless?

For the whole Takayama-Shiwakarago-Kanazawa part of the trip, I was basically just going to stop in Shiwakarago to check it out for the day on my way to Kanazawa, so I would probably have my luggage with me. Hmm.

What about in the cities though? Is there a cheaper way to get around those at all (particularly Tokyo)? Would something like a Suica card be beneficial? Sorry about all the questions! This is probably the only part of the whole trip that I'm finding very difficult and confusing!

Check out the Penguin Bar in Ikebukuro!

I just googled it and oh my god, I need to check that out!

Thanks heaps! And yeah, that was my original idea, doing one week exploring the west, and one week exploring the east. Because you said Ikebukuro would be only okay, do you reckon I should reconsider?

Depends on what your plans are in Tokyo, but Ikebukuro is probably in the top 3 places for easy access in the west, so don't worry about it.

Ooh, okay! So, essentially, for the amount of times I'll need to use it, the JR pass would just end up being either a waste of money or pointless?

For the whole Takayama-Shiwakarago-Kanazawa part of the trip, I was basically just going to stop in Shiwakarago to check it out for the day on my way to Kanazawa, so I would probably have my luggage with me. Hmm.

What about in the cities though? Is there a cheaper way to get around those at all (particularly Tokyo)? Would something like a Suica card be beneficial? Sorry about all the questions! This is probably the only part of the whole trip that I'm finding very difficult and confusing!

It would have depended on what you were planning to do on the 22nd and 23rd in Tokyo.

If you're doing Takayama->Shiwakarago->Kanazawa without going back to Takayama after Shiwakarago, then it's cheaper to not get the JR Pass. Just take the bus from Takayama to Shiwakarago and then the bus from Shiwakarago to Kanazawa.

Get a Suica/Pasmo card while in Tokyo. Then you can use it in Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and to take the train to Nara as well.

And look into getting the Osaka Amazing Pass if it fits with the attractions you're gonna visit in Osaka.

N0VAM0D

Depends on what your plans are in Tokyo, but Ikebukuro is probably in the top 3 places for easy access in the west, so don't worry about it.

It would have depended on what you were planning to do on the 22nd and 23rd in Tokyo.

If you're doing Takayama->Shiwakarago->Kanazawa without going back to Takayama after Shiwakarago, then it's cheaper to not get the JR Pass. Just take the bus from Takayama to Shiwakarago and then the bus from Shiwakarago to Kanazawa.

Get a Suica/Pasmo card while in Tokyo. Then you can use it in Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and to take the train to Nara as well.

And look into getting the Osaka Amazing Pass if it fits with the attractions you're gonna visit in Osaka.

I don't really have much of a plan for when I'm actually in Tokyo, sort of just gonna see how I feel each day and explore heaps.

Also yep, I'll take the bus! Nice, now I get it! Thanks so much for taking the time to explain it for me. I won't bother with a JR pass.

The Suica card sounds great though, sort of like our Opal passes here in NSW, Australia. Can I apply for those while still overseas or are they easily obtainable at convenience stores/post offices in Japan?

And yeah, I'll definitely look into the Amazing Osaka pass as well as the Koyasan Heritage ticket!

Zoe

Hmm... I wonder if you can get a named Suica card without any kind of phone number confirmation. My Yokoso Japan one looks cool, but I'd rather be able to register it and look up my history online.

Top Bottom