• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Hmm... I wonder if you can get a named Suica card without any kind of phone number confirmation. My Yokoso Japan one looks cool, but I'd rather be able to register it and look up my history online.

If you have an RFID phone there are apps that you can download where you can tap the card to your phone and it'll show your balance and history.

Zoe

If you have an RFID phone there are apps that you can download where you can tap the card to your phone and it'll show your balance and history.

Even for the Yokoso ones? When I tried to register it on the Suica website, it said that kind of card couldn't be registered.

cj_iwakura

IYou should keep checking it. Our tickets doubled from the original price, but then after another day they went even lower than before.

I hope so, I had my heart set on early-mid April, so I'm more than a little salty right now, was all set to book it.

sfedai0

Banned
That farebot app is pretty sweet! Is the history limited to the last 3 days of use? Either way, its a great app to check your balance and see how much youve been spending.

cj_iwakura

Travelocity customer service basically told me to go kick rocks. I'll just wait and hope that the 4/9-4/16 fares drop again... I think I have my heart set on the Seaside Omori. It's within walking reach of places I'd like to visit(the Shinagawa) and reasonable enough by train to everywhere else.

Bullza2o

Is there a farebot app or similar for iOS?

Travelocity customer service basically told me to go kick rocks. I'll just wait and hope that the 4/9-4/16 fares drop again... I think I have my heart set on the Seaside Omori. It's within walking reach of places I'd like to visit(the Shinagawa) and reasonable enough by train to everywhere else.

Check out Theflightdeal.com and register for the email and/or RSS.

Is there a farebot app or similar for iOS?

Hm... Looks like the NFC reader is locked down to ApplePay on iOS, so you can't make such apps?

You've tried browsing in a private window or clearing your cookies and cache in the browser? It's less than a month to your travel date now though, so it's a high chance that the price will not go down again.

Bullza2o

Hm... Looks like the NFC reader is locked down to ApplePay on iOS, so you can't make such apps
Sigh...well I'll put it on my sister's moto g then haha.

http://www.japan-guide.com/sakura/
http://www.tenki.jp/lite/sakura/expectation.html
The sakura forecast has been updated. Those going the last week of March are really lucky!
Tokyo Mar 28
Kyoto/Osaka Apr 2
Himeji Apr 5
Hiroshima Apr 4

I'll have to decide if I should go to Arashiyama or Himeji during the day on Apr 2 based on the bloom. Arashiyama might not be worth the trek if the sakura is on the ground by then.

I'll have to decide if I should go to Arashiyama or Himeji during the day on Apr 2 based on the bloom. Arashiyama might not be worth the trek if the sakura is on the ground by then.

Hm? April 2 is when it's full bloom based on the forecast, aka best time to go.

Stuart444

Sigh...well I'll put it on my sister's moto g then haha.

http://www.japan-guide.com/sakura/
http://www.tenki.jp/lite/sakura/expectation.html
The sakura forecast has been updated. Those going the last week of March are really lucky!
Tokyo Mar 28
Kyoto/Osaka Apr 2
Himeji Apr 5
Hiroshima Apr 4

Awesome, great timing for me. :D for both Tokyo and Kyoto. Assuming they don't change too much that is.

Gritesh

I'm going there next week, Ill end my trip in Tokyo for 4 days the 26-30 so looks like I'll at least get to see them in Tokyo

Bullza2o

Hm? April 2 is when it's full bloom based on the forecast, aka best time to go.
I got slightly confused because Japan-Guide's estimate is Mar 31 to Apr 8 but tenki lists one day on Apr 2.

How long does full bloom lasts typically? I know it depends on the rain, wind, etc. but on average is it like a couple of days?

I got slightly confused because Japan-Guide's estimate is Mar 31 to Apr 8 but tenki lists one day on Apr 2.

How long does full bloom lasts typically? I know it depends on the rain, wind, etc. but on average is it like a couple of days?

Japan Guide lists best viewing period, while tenki lists just the actual full bloom date. And it lasts a few days, yes.

Edit: Oh, and these are the dates of the most popular type of cherry trees. There's other kinds that have different blooming dates.

Won

Time to subscribe to this thread. Going to Japan for about 2 weeks end of August/early September. Not the best time as far as I can gather, but I waited long enough for an opportunity to do it.

Working my way through this thread and damn is it overwhelming.

Decided to keep it simple. Don't want to rush things nor drag my luggage all around the country and there is always the next time.
Rough outline for now is 5 days of Tokyo, 6-7 Kyoto and 1-2 nights at a Ryokan away from the big cities at the end. (no idea where though)

I hope I can narrow this down by the end of the week, so I can start booking hotels.

SKINNER!

Banned
Anyone been to Hokkaido? GF and I are planning to grab a cheap flight to Hokkaido from Tokyo in September and then take the train down to Tokyo after a few days of checking it out. Aside from checking out Sapporo, anyone know any cool towns/places to check out in Hokkaido and even areas between Hokkaido and Tokyo? We can get off at a stop and check it out.

scarlet

Anyone been to Hokkaido? GF and I are planning to grab a cheap flight to Hokkaido from Tokyo in September and then take the train down to Tokyo after a few days of checking it out. Aside from checking out Sapporo, anyone know any cool towns/places to check out in Hokkaido and even areas between Hokkaido and Tokyo? We can get off at a stop and check it out.

Otaru canal

Yeah, I've been. You could do a day trip to Otaru and check out all the glass works and music boxes they sell there. There's also Noboribetsu where you can check out the hell valley with the volcanic activity and hot springs. If you're just interested in hot springs then Jozankei is closer to Sapporo though. I also went to the Asahiyama Zoo where I checked out the neat penguin glass tunnel on a day trip.

Of other big cities you could check out Hakodate where there's lots of western influenced buildings like Fort Goryokaku, the old British consulate, the old Hakodate public hall (they sometimes have concerts or other music performances there in the weekends) and the Russian orthodox church (didn't visit that one myself though). They also got a reconstruction of the former magistrate office inside Fort Goryokaku if you're more interested in Japanese buildings. And there's a pretty nice night view from Mount Hakodate.

You could also do a stop at Aomori if you want to check out the Nebuta Warasse museum and see some of the paper floats they use for the Nebuta Matsuri festival.

Oh, and check out the pictures I took in the Fall 2015 album in the OP ;P

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Alright, just booked my flight and hotel for Kyoto and Osaka. Five days at the end of March. I hope it's good timing for cherry blossoms.

My Pasmo from Tokyo... Is it good for traveling in the Kyoto area? Or do I need something else? My biggest gripe about traveling to Japan is how it's a cash economy. So annoying.

So I'm going to be in Japan when Civil War comes out.. I was wondering if I'd be able to watch it there when it releases? And if so is it dubbed over or with Japanese subtitles?

scarlet

Alright, just booked my flight and hotel for Kyoto and Osaka. Five days at the end of March. I hope it's good timing for cherry blossoms.

My Pasmo from Tokyo... Is it good for traveling in the Kyoto area? Or do I need something else? My biggest gripe about traveling to Japan is how it's a cash economy. So annoying.

Yes*, but buying bus passes will in most cases be cheaper in Kyoto itself though.

*Buses outside Kyoto/Osaka/Kobe is an exception though, they'll not take Pasmo.

You can use your Pasmo. Bus pass is 500 yen all day, but there are few areas where you have to pay extra

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Thank you. Looking forward to the trip. Five days sounds like quite a bit in Kyoto, so I scheduled a day in Osaka. Kobe worth going to? Which restaurant is recommended for the beef?

I'm not correcting your answer, just quoting you ...

Oh, ok.

Looks like they changed the Icoca and Haruka deal if you're arriving/departing from KIX:
https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/travel-information/pass/icoca-haruka/

The good news us that if you already have an Icoca card you can get the discount Haruka ticket without buying a new one. The bad news is that they've increased the old flat fee price of 3030/4060 one-way/return trip.

It's still the easiest way to get to Kyoto from KIX though, without any transfers.

cj_iwakura

Still no luck on the flights... struggling with travelocity customer service, but you can imagine that's not going well.

Nothing's any cheaper throughout the year, either. April 9th-16th or bust.

scarlet

Thank you. Looking forward to the trip. Five days sounds like quite a bit in Kyoto, so I scheduled a day in Osaka. Kobe worth going to? Which restaurant is recommended for the beef?

I spent 5 days in Kyoto and day trip to Nara and Osaka 2 years ago, it feels too long. Not a fan of Osaka, but I love Nara

You should try the Kurama onsen in Kyoto!

Oh, ok.

Looks like they changed the Icoca and Haruka deal if you're arriving/departing from KIX:
https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/travel-information/pass/icoca-haruka/

The good news us that if you already have an Icoca card you can get the discount Haruka ticket without buying a new one. The bad news is that they've increased the old flat fee price of 3030/4060 one-way/return trip.

It's still the easiest way to get to Kyoto from KIX though, without any transfers.

5200 yen for a round trip with ICOCA!? Oh wow

Luckily I already have all the Wind & Thunder gods and The Hello Kitty edition.

I went to Moriya since they had A5 grade Kobe beef:
http://www.mouriya.co.jp/en/head/index.html

I spent 5 days in Kyoto and day trip to Nara and Osaka 2 years ago, it feels too long. Not a fan of Osaka, but I love Nara

5200 yen for a round trip with ICOCA!? Oh wow

Luckily I already have all the Wind & Thunder gods and The Hello Kitty edition.

I'd also recommend a Nara day trip. Check out all the deer. I also like Osaka though ;p

It's still a decent deal. Especially if it's the first time in Japan and you don't want to mess about with train transfers right away on the first day.

I got 3 ICOCA cards myself since it was cheaper than just buying Haruka tickets separately :p

scarlet

What's the best month to see momiji in Tokyo?

Late October/Early November or mid November?

Just gonna go to Tokyo this time for 5-6 nights

scarlet

Late November if it's in Tokyo.

If you take a daytrip to Nikko you can go in mid to late October though.

I wanna go to Nikko since 2 years ago, but never had the time.

But this time I'm planning to take a day trip to takaragawa onsen in Gunma

plus-3.jpg

Bullza2o

Nikko looks awesome and it's definitely gonna be on my list of places to go whenever I do another Japan trip; however it's unfortunate the Yomeimon gate is covered up --kind of makes me question if it's worth going there before they finish renovations.

Also, for those who have eaten ekiben, which one is your favorite? I just found out there is a plethora of choices and they all look delicious. I was thinking of just going to a conbini and buy cheap food, but ekiben looks better.

Nikko looks awesome and it's definitely gonna be on my list of places to go whenever I do another Japan trip; however it's unfortunate the Yomeimon gate is covered up --kind of makes me question if it's worth going there before they finish renovations.

I spent a whole day in Nikko and didn't even have time to check out Toshogu, so there's plenty of things to do there for a day at least :p

Top Bottom