• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Stuart444

It is so hot here compared to Scotland,we were not prepared for this lol. Also Disneysea has been great but my feet are dead... So so dead lpl

Go drink some Japanese craft beer at Ushitora in Shimokitazawa. My favorite bar in my favorite neighborhood.

This sounds cool. Another other recommendations if I'm in interested in craft beer?

I've mostly been thinking whisky while making my own plans, hadn't even given any thought to craft beer.

kubus

Thank you, that is nice to know.
Wouldn't count on it too much, I actually missed my flight with a 50 min layover. Both flights were Lufthansa. I was worried I was going to miss the flight because passport check and customs were taking ages so I approached the staff multiple times asking if there was no quicker way to get to my next flight. They pointed me in the direction of another passport check which turned out to be even busier. When I returned they had apparently opened the electronic passport gates while I was gone :/. Customs then took ages and there was nobody around. Didn't have the guts to ask people standing in line if I could go first.

Obviously the plane had already left. Staff said it was my own fault because they had repeatedly called my name. Either that's bullshit or I couldn't hear it at customs.

Luckily there was another flight later that night. At first they wouldn't let me on it because it was fully booked but after begging and sulking they let me board first class.

It was a horrible experience and I'm never flying with Lufthansa again. I'm telling you this as a warning that they won't always wait for you, though in my case it was probably also a lot of bad luck.

Stalk

Currency exchange, anyone from the UK know any good suggestions for exchanging money greater than £5000? Exchanging my money before brexit screws me over.

Wouldn't count on it too much, I actually missed my flight with a 50 min layover. Both flights were Lufthansa. I was worried I was going to miss the flight because passport check and customs were taking ages so I approached the staff multiple times asking if there was no quicker way to get to my next flight. They pointed me in the direction of another passport check which turned out to be even busier. When I returned they had apparently opened the electronic passport gates while I was gone :/. Customs then took ages and there was nobody around. Didn't have the guts to ask people standing in line if I could go first.

Obviously the plane had already left. Staff said it was my own fault because they had repeatedly called my name. Either that's bullshit or I couldn't hear it at customs.

Luckily there was another flight later that night. At first they wouldn't let me on it because it was fully booked but after begging and sulking they let me board first class.

It was a horrible experience and I'm never flying with Lufthansa again. I'm telling you this as a warning that they won't always wait for you, though in my case it was probably also a lot of bad luck.

Ouch. I'm flying Lufthansa, but we have about three hours between flights. Also, why did you need to go through customs? Did you have to change terminals or something?

kubus

Ouch. I'm flying Lufthansa, but we have about three hours between flights. Also, why did you need to go through customs? Did you have to change terminals or something?
I really don't want to deal with Lufthansa anymore. The pilots were on strike or something the week before my flight. Almost all international flights were cancelled because of that. It continued until the day before my trip to Japan. I was sweating bullets the entire week :x. Also, the suicide plane hijack from last year happened on the day I flew, which I believe was also owned by Lufthansa. Then on my return trip, I missed my flight at the layover. So just the name Lufthansa gives me nightmares :p. I wouldn't worry in your case though, three hours should be plenty of time. The service on board was totally fine.

As for why I had to through customs there, I have no idea. I'm not too familiar with inspection policies for international flights. I would say it's because I was entering Europe from Japan. But I'm pretty sure I went through customs again in Amsterdam.. though my memory of that day is really hazy. I guess that's what 15+ hour flights do to you, haha.

Enjoy your trip btw! When are you flying?
I really can't wait to go again, but budget is tight this year. Next year, hopefully...!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Germans strike all the time. But they usually announce it at least a week in advance.

dani_dc

It is so hot here compared to Scotland,we were not prepared for this lol. Also Disneysea has been great but my feet are dead... So so dead lpl
Don't ever come here in Summer. You'd melt.
Honestly it's waving between "bit cold" and "comfortable" this week

Stuart444

Haha,I don't plan to.

Anyway I went to the Game on thing Miraikan which was fun. Ended up playing a game of Tekken 3 with a random Japanese guy. He won barely lol. Random but fun. Odaiba seems like a nice area though.

elhaym

Ahaha, one of my friends has been trying to talk me into summer Comiket and I just go hell no. Winter again? Sure, I can deal with that.

And yeah, weather has been juuuuuuust on the border of too cold for me. Each day is "Do I wear t-shirt/long sleeve? What about my jacket? And what's it going to be in 2 hours when it's too warm for that? ARGH"

Stuart444

The Gundam Statue is so cool up close. Also the amount of benches around here certainly helps me. Taking plenty of breaks during our explorations lol.

May and June are fine. Its July, August, September that are hot as shit. Well, its really the humidity that does you in.

Well, I've lived in Bangkok for the better part of the year, so I'm no stranger to humidity. I leave Japan July 8, though, so I should be OK.

Stuart444

My fiancee got a Sakura flavoured Cone and let me try it. It's pretty good. Kinda sad we won't be able to have it after we leave here.

We got in contact with a local who added us on FB and wants us to get a drink with him.
The profile looks legit and he was friendly.
Yay or nay?

Meet in public, I guess. Don't go to any weird, random bars or tea places. Use common sense. Avoid scams.

How did you get in contact with this person?

dani_dc

Ahaha, one of my friends has been trying to talk me into summer Comiket and I just go hell no. Winter again? Sure, I can deal with that.

And yeah, weather has been juuuuuuust on the border of too cold for me. Each day is "Do I wear t-shirt/long sleeve? What about my jacket? And what's it going to be in 2 hours when it's too warm for that? ARGH"

Summer Comiket is not too bad... As long as you don't stand in the line outside.

Otherwise I don't recall it being too bad, though winter was definitely more pleasent.

Well, I've lived in Bangkok for the better part of the year, so I'm no stranger to humidity. I leave Japan July 8, though, so I should be OK.

Yeah, humidity is the killer, so if you're used to it you'll survive.

Stuart444

Today's been a good day, got plenty of good Odaiba pics, watched a live outside Diver City (B.A.P), saw a pretty awesome and nice guy doing tricks with coins and cards on the street near Daiba station. And we're definitely coming back to Odaiba before the holiday is over.

Lovely place though

dani_dc

I mentioned it above XD but it was fun, especially the random Tekken fight with the Japanese guy lol.

It was nice to see the Miraikan building as well

Ah sorry, I somehow missed that part of your post!

I haven't been there myself, the exposition or Mirakan, looking forward to stop there.
Many multiplayer games?

elhaym

Were finally in Akihabara and Nakano Broadway again and yeah, there's much more Splatoon goods here now.

Dang. I should have hit you up, I was out at Nakano most of the afternoon with my friend. :|

The next two days are unfortunately pretty much booked solid at this point, but I know afterwards I need to head back into Akiba for a bit.

Bullza2o

What are the hippest neighbourhoods anyways?

Shimokitazawa, Koenji, Nakameguro, Yoyogi and Daikanyama are all great. I think some big magazine rated Shimo as the coolest neighborhood on the planet recently. There's a cool section of Sangenjaya (note: we rented an apartment there in 2014) near the station with some great little restaurants, coffee shops and a European-only craft beer bar. My wife and I are also partial to Yanaka Ginza. We stayed there our first two times in Tokyo (2006, 2010), it's an area of the city that wasn't damaged by firebombing in World War II so it has an older look to it. When we were there in 2014 it was overrun with Japanese and foreign toursists, must have been featured on TV or something. Still one of our favorite spots with an old neighborhood feel.

Harajuku, Shibuya and Shinjuku are fine and there are lots of cool things to do, but I'm more partial to the ones I mentioned above. My wife and I accidentally stumbled into Shimo in 2006 and fell in love.

I'm also one of the few people here who isn't enamored with Akihabara. I did my retro game shopping long ago, so now when I'm there I look for Book Offs in smaller neighborhoods and just pick up new releases which are available everywhere.

Fritz

Shimokitazawa, Koenji, Nakameguro, Yoyogi and Daikanyama are all great. I think some big magazine rated Shimo as the coolest neighborhood on the planet recently. There's a cool section of Sangenjaya (note: we rented an apartment there in 2014) near the station with some great little restaurants, coffee shops and a European-only craft beer bar. My wife and I are also partial to Yanaka Ginza. We stayed there our first two times in Tokyo (2006, 2010), it's an area of the city that wasn't damaged by firebombing in World War II so it has an older look to it. When we were there in 2014 it was overrun with Japanese and foreign toursists, must have been featured on TV or something. Still one of our favorite spots with an old neighborhood feel.

Harajuku, Shibuya and Shinjuku are fine and there are lots of cool things to do, but I'm more partial to the ones I mentioned above. My wife and I accidentally stumbled into Shimo in 2006 and fell in love.

I'm also one of the few people here who isn't enamored with Akihabara. I did my retro game shopping long ago, so now when I'm there I look for Book Offs in smaller neighborhoods and just pick up new releases which are available everywhere.

I thought Akihabara was absolutely vile. Checked Mandarake to get my nerd fix and got the hell outta there. I think I'll stick to your recs!

I thought Akihabara was absolutely vile. Checked Mandarake to get my nerd fix and got the hell outta there. I think I'll stick to your recs!

I've had fun shopping for games and I love visiting Gundam Front, but my favorite things to do in Japan are walk around neighborhoods and check out farmers markets (the UN University farmers market in Aoyama is great), clothing stores, coffee shops, recycle shops, craft beer places, etc. We also like getting out into nature (Nikko, Nara, Shuzenji, Hakone, etc.).

And ramen. ALL THE RAMEN.

Fritz

I've had fun shopping for games and I love visiting Gundam Front, but my favorite things to do in Japan are walk around neighborhoods and check out farmers markets (the UN University farmers market in Aoyama is great), clothing stores, coffee shops, recycle shops, craft beer places, etc. We also like getting out into nature (Nikko, Nara, Shuzenji, Hakone, etc.).

And ramen. ALL THE RAMEN.

I've been to that farmers market (probably due to your recommendation too) and to the flea market in the international forum. Both were just great!

I also loved cat street. Those three were my favorites in Tokyo. I plan to come back in autumn and check out those more "out of the way" neighborhoods. + nikko

Stuart444

Not good at quoting multiple people on mobile so:

MP games: there was a few, not sure how many though. There was also quite a few old arcade style games which were fun to see.

PSVR: line was too big so didn't do it but I didn't mind. Already tried it last year at EGX and loved it so I don't need any more convincing on it lol.

I love that there is a lot of places to sit down so far. If not for that, I wouldn't survive the day. I've done more walking in the past few days then I ever do at home and I have the bruises to prove it.

After today (Ghibli museum, meet up, etc) I'm taking it a lot more easier than planned.

I blame Disneysea XD it killed me on our first real fast here. (So many queues, worst than EGX lol)

On a different note. I love the train system here and I will really miss it when we leave.

I'm so sad that we couldn't attend the Tokyo-meeting.
We already moved to Osaka and in the evening wanted to eat Kobe-steak in Kobe.
Every restaurant was full. :(
Disappointing evening.

Are there recommendable restaurants in Osaka or Kyoto which sell legit Kobe-steak?

Zyzyxxz

I'm so sad that we couldn't attend the Tokyo-meeting.
We already moved to Osaka and in the evening wanted to eat Kobe-steak in Kobe.
Every restaurant was full. :(
Disappointing evening.

Are there recommendable restaurants in Osaka or Kyoto which sell legit Kobe-steak?

Do you want kobe specifically or would you be happy with A5? Or are you not making the distinction because there's amazing A5/wagyu that's not Kobe like Kagoshima, Kuroge, Miyazaki etc.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So I have been hearing people talk about AirBnB issues in Japan lately, mostly how it is technically illegal in Japan and they have been cracking down on it. There are reports of hosts cancelling bookings last minute or straight up not telling guests that their bookings were cancelled.

Any insight into this?

So I have been hearing people talk about AirBnB issues in Japan lately, mostly how it is technically illegal in Japan and they have been cracking down on it. There are reports of hosts cancelling bookings last minute or straight up not telling guests that their bookings were cancelled.

Any insight into this?

In an AirBnB right now and it's fine.

Bullza2o

Any insight into this?
I think Osaka and Ota, Tokyo are the only ones enforcing the new law. I think a lot of Airbnbs in Kyoto had been canceled from a couple months ago. I'm staying in Airbnb in Chuo next week and everything looks OK with the host so far.

Salamando

Any insight into this?

Here's an article that goes into detail on it - http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-18/fastest-growing-airbnb-market-under-threat-as-japan-cracks-down. There are national guidelines on homesharing, but only go into effect if local municipalities ratify them.

Top Bottom