• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

elhaym

Get a Sim card and use Google maps?

For some reason GMaps freaks the heck out on me in Ikebukuro. Seems fine everywhere else, but just can't track properly here. I keep having to kinda shape out the streets in my head and figure out the map manually. :|

Anyway, spent the afternoon in Akiba putting together a route for Destruction of Ye Old Wallet (2.0). I told myself I wouldn't spend as much this trip, but hell if I'm not looking at like $600 of things I want...

openrob

Hey people, having a great time thanks to a lot of advice on here (here's a link to my Flickr album). However as I'm semi traveling alone I find I'm missing out on nightlife stuff which is kind of annoying. It's like 8:30 and like "right, guess it's time to go back now" lol. Any advice, or people in the same boat?

Already planning my return to Japan since I got back. I would have loved to go next year, but I need time to save since it's going to be a lot more expensive since the last time I had gone.

I'm planning to do the drift Matsuri (festival) over at Ebisu Circuits. It's going to be a week long drifting event on any of the tracks of my choosing. To top it all off, that weekend the tracks are open for 24 hours a day!

I need to purchase a track car to use during the time (as well as tires) as I'm trying to get as much seat time as possible.

I have some friends who are interested in going, but we will see once I start crunching hard numbers for them.

Anyway, spent the afternoon in Akiba putting together a route for Destruction of Ye Old Wallet (2.0). I told myself I wouldn't spend as much this trip, but hell if I'm not looking at like $600 of things I want...

Don't feel bad about spending more then you wanted there... I had a "plan" and it went out the window once I had seen everything that was available HAHA.

Hey people, having a great time thanks to a lot of advice on here (here's a link to my Flickr album). However as I'm semi traveling alone I find I'm missing out on nightlife stuff which is kind of annoying. It's like 8:30 and like "right, guess it's time to go back now" lol. Any advice, or people in the same boat?

I had that problem my first time. Also, I was 21 and jetlagged. This time I have a friend with me so we'll try to push each other to stay awake and do stuff in the evenings too.

Will you still be there in two weeks?

Nope, what's that?

The special sakura cherry drink you could get with the teriyaki egg burger:

bnr160301_teritama.jpg

The special sakura cherry drink you could get with the teriyaki egg burger:

bnr160301_teritama.jpg

That's what we ate. They told us yesterday in Kamakura that it's the only Teriyaki Burger they had.

Btw I'm looking for some Japan-exclusive Nikes. We want to go to the Nike-store in Shibuya. Is their some page that tells me what shoes you actually can only get in Japan? 😅

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
That's what we ate. They told us yesterday in Kamakura that it's the only Teriyaki Burger they had.

Btw I'm looking for some Japan-exclusive Nikes. We want to go to the Nike-store in Shibuya. Is their some page that tells me what shoes you actually can only get in Japan? 😅

Then you should go to any Atmos shop, they usually have limited editions.

openrob

Can anyone give recommendations for day visit onsen near Tokyo?

I visited this one last year:
http://www.secret-japan.com/onsen/show.php?selcode=36

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...igarashimo_gun_Kanagawa_Prefecture_Kanto.html

Which was lovely, easy to get to and cheap, but variety never hurt anyone right? Haha.

Will you still be there in two weeks?
Nah unfortunately my trip is coming to an end in a few days time (although I should be able to make it to the meet up, albeit briefly!)

elhaym

So Shinjuku Gyouen is really really nice. It seems still a -bit- early for most of the trees to hit bloom, but it was a great walk around the park. Didn't get to hit the other park off of Harajuku station, gonna try that another day this week I hope. Well, and get back to Shinjuku Gyouen. Others have told me that the non-national parks end up... drunk, so these are nice.

edit: album. When I get home I need to go back and brighten all of them. Dunno why my phone decided to take EVERYTHING so dark today.

Stuart444

I'm feeling awful. Almost been sick both on trains and the plane. Also bad cold and the plane ride was very cramped

Not a goods start to the holiday

openrob

Limited time menu, so go get ;p

I caved in and got the teriyaki burger and Sakura cherry drink lol

Anyway, spending the evening in Shinjuku, planning to head to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building Observation Deck and then find some drinks in the Golden Gai. If anyone's in the area feel free to let me know :)

stryke

What's public transport like in Osaka? Is it like Kyoto or more like Tokyo? Any one or two day passes that are recommended?

So Shinjuku Gyouen is really really nice. It seems still a -bit- early for most of the trees to hit bloom, but it was a great walk around the park. Didn't get to hit the other park off of Harajuku station, gonna try that another day this week I hope. Well, and get back to Shinjuku Gyouen. Others have told me that the non-national parks end up... drunk, so these are nice.

edit: album. When I get home I need to go back and brighten all of them. Dunno why my phone decided to take EVERYTHING so dark today.

We were in Shinjuku Gyouen today, too.
We made some pretty nice pictures, but agreed that it would only take a few more days for a full bloom.

On another note: I don't want to sound rude, but is it just my personal perception or is Tokyo full of noisy Chinese tourists with bad manners and selfie sticks?
There's a sign in like 3 languages (Japanese, Chinese and English) to not climb over the fence. Who does it anyway? A bunch of Chinese tourists..

I caved in and got the teriyaki burger and Sakura cherry drink lol

Anyway, spending the evening in Shinjuku, planning to head to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building Observation Deck

How long is it open? Google says that the official opening time of the offices is 6:45pm.

We went to the Park Hyatt Hotel and took the elevator to the New York Bar for a great view, because the government building on the other street looked dark and closed.

On another note: I don't want to sound rude, but is it just my personal perception or is Tokyo full of noisy Chinese tourists with bad manners and selfie sticks?
There's a sign in like 3 languages (Japanese, Chinese and English) to not climb over the fence. Who does it anyway? A bunch of Chinese tourists..

There's been plenty of threads in Off-Topic about the various exploits of Chinese tourists. Last year when I went to Kinkaku-ji in Kyoto, there were signs all over the place that said no selfie sticks and it was very clear that a certain demographic of people made heavy use of selfie sticks.

stryke

There's been plenty of threads in Off-Topic about the various exploits of Chinese tourists. Last year when I went to Kinkaku-ji in Kyoto, there were signs all over the place that said no selfie sticks and it was very clear that a certain demographic of people made heavy use of selfie sticks.

Huh, was there myself today. I didn't notice any such signs. Although I can say I've been hit twice by those things already during this trip. I'm tempted to snap the next one that does.

What's public transport like in Osaka? Is it like Kyoto or more like Tokyo? Any one or two day passes that are recommended?

More like Tokyo with a JR loop line and subways. Look into the Osaka Amazing Pass if you're planning to do some of the stuff thay covers.

If you're checking out Osaka Aquarium, then check out this pass:
http://www.kaiyukan.com/language/eng/kaiyu.html

If neither of those are good for you then look into buying 1 day subway passes if you're going to use the subways 5+ times a day (4+ on weekends and Japanese holidays). Costs 800 JPY (600 on weekends and Japanese holidays)

kooplar

Leaving (from mexico) to Japan in a couple of hours (its about a 15 hours direct flight). My final, 2 week itinerary is:

Half days are marked with *

march 30,31, April 1*: Tokyo
April 1*,2, 3*: Kanazawa
April 3*,4,5: Kyoto
April 6: Nara
April 7: Osaka
April 8: Himeji and Kobe
April 9: Hiroshima and Miyajima
April 10*: Nagoya
April 10*: Shinjuku (Tokyo)
April 11: Edo museum and Akihabara
April 12: (if we wake up very early, half a day at nikko): Shibuya and
April 13: narita airport

We will be staying Near Tsukiji in Tokyo, Near ninja temple in Kanazawa, Near the palace in Kyoto, Near Shinkansen station in Osaka, and near Shinjuku Station in tokyo.

If this trip goes as well as I hope I will share all the details!

Is it any different from Sakura Pepsi?

Not tried sakura Pepsi yet, so dunno :p

How long is it open? Google says that the official opening time of the offices is 6:45pm.

We went to the Park Hyatt Hotel and took the elevator to the New York Bar for a great view, because the government building on the other street looked dark and closed.

One of the observation decks is open till 23:00 (last entry at 22:30):
http://www.metro.tokyo.jp/ENGLISH/OFFICES/observat.htm

Stuart444

First night down
Feel a bit better but still lots of coughing and the occasional sneeze. Also watching early morning Japanese TV. Quite happy, I thought it was going to be PPV TV only lol bed was lovely as well.

So, The N'EX two way pass.

We arrive Thursday March 31st in the Afternoon.

The pass is for 14 days.

Is my math checking out in thinking that it will work for us returning in Thursday April 14? Or does the day you activate it count as a full day? In which case 14 days later is Wednesday the 13th?

So, The N'EX two way pass.

We arrive Thursday March 31st in the Afternoon.

The pass is for 14 days.

Is my math checking out in thinking that it will work for us returning in Thursday April 14? Or does the day you activate it count as a full day? In which case 14 days later is Wednesday the 13th?

Day you activate is the first day. They don't take fractional time into account, a day is a day.

I read up on Suica again. It does sound very convenient. We will mostly be going from Kameido to an area and then back every day, so we won't be needing much travel money. I'm guessing that I'll put 10000 yen on the card right away and see how far it lasts.

Apparently you can't charge it by credit card. Not even at a JR office? That's kind of silly, but I'll bring some cash either way.

openrob

The observation floor is open until 11:00pm. The north tower observation deck was closed yesterday, but once you get to the building, signs are pretty clear and staff are helpful.

img_20160328_203719oysn9.jpg

cj_iwakura

Terrified about my 31 minute layover in Houston. If I miss my flight, there's no other flight to Tokyo that day. :( I feel like I made a huge mistake.

Zoe

Terrified about my 31 minute layover in Houston. If I miss my flight, there's no other flight to Tokyo that day. :( I feel like I made a huge mistake.

Talk to the flight attendants to see if they can help you get off the plane quicker, and maybe notify the other plane.

What's the weather like in Tokyo now? I see the forecast says it's roughly 16 Celsius all week, but I'm not sure how to judge that. Is it generally damp or dry, how cool does it feel in the evening, etc. Do I need a jacket? Just some layers? Or does it feel generally warm?

I leave in less than two days, still trying to figure out what all I should pack.

cj_iwakura

What's the weather like in Tokyo now? I see the forecast says it's roughly 16 Celsius all week, but I'm not sure how to judge that. Is it generally damp or dry, how cool does it feel in the evening, etc. Do I need a jacket? Just some layers? Or does it feel generally warm?

I leave in less than two days, still trying to figure out what all I should pack.

I gather that it's cloudy/breezy, probably not much colder than a South Florida winter.

Hey all, Japan virgin here. Heading out there Apr 2 - 17th. What's the best recommendations on things to see, do, eat, drink, etc?

Go drink some Japanese craft beer at Ushitora in Shimokitazawa. My favorite bar in my favorite neighborhood.

Eat tantamen ramen and shiso gyoza at Kohmen. They're all over Tokyo.

Top Bottom