• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Bullza2o

Not planned on Higashiyama but it and any other close by places will be considerations if we run out of things to do depending on day and region of course. Still would love to see some in another area like Kyoto of course

Also on another note, we've went careful on how much money for food each day. 12,500 yen for 2 people each day.

if planned correctly, I have around 106k yen for extras
I'm on mobile so it's too cumbersome to quote specific parts...

I would make sure to go to a night illumination somewhere, probably Kiyomizudera. I have decided if I have to choose only one Kiyomizudera visit I'll go at night.

12,500 yen a day for 2 people?! My family's is the same, and we're 4!! :O

I have 100k for souvenirs and shopping too :)
How many luggages are you bringing and how big are they?!

That Tower Records absolutely destroyed my wallet when I went there (the first day).
Oh man I gotta buy ラブライブ and other CDs! My friend is a huge SCANDAL fan too. How much is a CD typically? Is Tower Records cheaper than say Yodobashi?

Stuart444

12,500 yen a day for 2 people?! My family's is the same, and we're 4!! :O

I have 100k for souvenirs and shopping too :)
How many luggages are you bringing and how big are they?!

Oh man I gotta buy ラブライブ and other CDs! My friend is a huge SCANDAL fan too. How much is a CD typically?

Yay Scandal :D

2 suitcases (one big, one medium I think) and 2 backpacks. Packing tomorrow so should have a good idea on how much I'll be able to fit into my bag lol. (souvenirs and stuff wise).

Also bringing a thing to weigh my luggage to make sure everything fits within the weight limits of my airline :D

And yeah, I know 12.5k is a bit much but it's just to be safe. Any extra per day can go towards travel or shopping. (or probably arcade machines and crane machines because the latter will probably be very addicting to me >.>)

Oh man I gotta buy ラブライブ and other CDs! My friend is a huge SCANDAL fan too. How much is a CD typically? Is Tower Records cheaper than say Yodobashi?

Buy pre-owned at Mandarake. Much cheaper :p

Any suggestions of what I can watch on Netflix about Tokyo? Departures, Anthony Bourdain, that sort of thing.

https://midnightamane.wordpress.com/2015/10/20/netflix-treasures-and-others/

That I’ll Have What Phil’s Having show has been added to Netflix since that list was made.

Stuart444

There's a scale right next to the post office stand at Narita.

Yeah but this is portable and I can do it at home here and at the hotel in Japan :p.

Means less time doing stuff like that in airports :p

edit: Question: When you get to Narita, are you directed where to go (ie to Immigration/Customs) by people or is there signs that you just need to follow? (probably stupid question but first time and stuff :( )

Also is the JR office for exchanging the JR pass obvious in Narita Airport (as in can't miss it)?

Zoe

Probably 7 days. Two dedicated to travel so 5 days of actual vacation? Which airline are you referring to?

United is around $1000 for an ANA codeshare right now. You can probably find better depending if you're willing to wait. We paid around $700 for a JAL codeshare in December.

I mean, it's wise to budget for worst case, but I wouldn't pull the trigger thinking $1200 is a hot deal.

Edit: looks like we spent about $3000 for all lodging, food, and shopping for two people over two weeks.

cj_iwakura

Is the Shinagawa Aquarium worth visiting? My hotel is only a block away from there...

Also, someone told me to visit Mandarake in Nakano. Wonder how reasonable Akumajo Dracula for Saturn will be in the wild...

Alright fellas, I'll be getting some good money once my SXSW check rolls in, so I'm gonna start pulling money aside for my vacation next year in Japan.

What's a good amount to shoot for? I know tickets are about $1200 round trip to Japan and the U.S., so am I looking for $2500 to be comfortable??

Damn. My round trip from LA was $470. I guess I got lucky. Use Skyscanner and search ahead!

Damn. My round trip from LA was $470. I guess I got lucky. Use Skyscanner and search ahead!

Those sub-$500 tickets were a super limited time thing. I was able to get in at about $430 myself. It's highly unlikely anyone will be able to get that deal again anytime soon.

Generally speaking, non-stop flights from Chicago to Tokyo range from like $1200-$2000 depending on the time of year.

United is around $1000 for an ANA codeshare right now. You can probably find better depending if you're willing to wait. We paid around $700 for a JAL codeshare in December.

I mean, it's wise to budget for worst case, but I wouldn't pull the trigger thinking $1200 is a hot deal.

Edit: looks like we spent about $3000 for all lodging, food, and shopping for two people over two weeks.
I can't say I'm familiar with those codeshares. I never fly or take vacations. :p

Bullza2o

2 suitcases (one big, one medium I think) and 2 backpacks. Packing tomorrow so should have a good idea on how much I'll be able to fit into my bag lol. (souvenirs and stuff wise).
My family will bring one large, 2 medium suitcases, and 2 backpacks. I'm worried we'll buy so many stuff in Japan we might need to buy a box or something to take home haha XD

Buy pre-owned at Mandarake. Much cheaper :p

Will check it out, thanks! I remember going inside one in Akihabara but had to leave right away because there were 5 minutes left til closing :\

Oh, and is it even possible to avoid seeing any sexual images in Akihabara? I really don't want my parents to see weird things there especially the sex shop I hear that blatantly displays its products lol

When you get to Narita, are you directed where to go (ie to Immigration/Customs) by people or is there signs that you just need to follow? (probably stupid question but first time and stuff :( )

Also is the JR office for exchanging the JR pass obvious in Narita Airport (as in can't miss it)?

There's signs in English all over the place. And the JR exchange is in the basement close to the trains. Just look for the long queue :p

Is the Shinagawa Aquarium worth visiting? My hotel is only a block away from there...

Also, someone told me to visit Mandarake in Nakano. Wonder how reasonable Akumajo Dracula for Saturn will be in the wild...

Sure, it's pretty decent. And Mandarake isn't exactly 'in the wild'. Will probably be somewhat expensive if they got it. ;p

Mandarake Galaxy is the gaming one if I remember correctly.

Oh, and is it even possible to avoid seeing any sexual images in Akihabara? I really don't want my parents to see weird things there especially the sex shop I hear that blatantly displays its products lol

Well... Don't go to Mandarake then :p

Those sub-$500 tickets were a super limited time thing. I was able to get in at about $430 myself. It's highly unlikely anyone will be able to get that deal again anytime soon.

Generally speaking, non-stop flights from Chicago to Tokyo range from like $1200-$2000 depending on the time of year.

Ahh, OK. Didn't know it was some kind of special one time deal. Glad I checked the day that I did!

cj_iwakura

Sure, it's pretty decent. And Mandarake isn't exactly 'in the wild'. Will probably be somewhat expensive if they got it. ;p

Mandarake Galaxy is the gaming one if I remember correctly.

I mean other shops besides them. It's in Shibuya, right? And is it a chain that doesn't just sell games, I'm guessing?

I think I might just Suica it for the week since I only plan on being in Tokyo, will that be adequate?

octopiggy

Where would I be likely to find Splatoon merch in Japan? (Or even any Nintendo merch?) I'm in Sapporo at the moment but I will also be heading to Kyoto, Osaka and returning to Tokyo. Any stores I should keep an eye out for?

I mean other shops besides them. It's in Shibuya, right? And is it a chain that doesn't just sell games, I'm guessing?

I think I might just Suica it for the week since I only plan on being in Tokyo, will that be adequate?

Mandarake Nakano is in Nakano.

JR Pass is a waste of money if you're only staying in Tokyo.

Where would I be likely to find Splatoon merch in Japan? (Or even any Nintendo merch?) I'm in Sapporo at the moment but I will also be heading to Kyoto, Osaka and returning to Tokyo. Any stores I should keep an eye out for?

Super Potato got Nintendo merch. Splatoon stuff can be hard to find. Might find some in some random used goods store in Akihabara.

All those itineraries are exhausting to me. I'm lucky to have the luxury of staying as long as I want. Makes seeing what I want to see while I'm there much easier! Slow travel is where it's at, if you can get an internet-based job.

openrob

Super Potato got Nintendo merch. Splatoon stuff can be hard to find. Might find some in some random used goods store in Akihabara.

I've been seeing Splatoon stuff everywhere at the moment actually. Really surprised me. (By everywhere, I meant more than a couple of shops in Akihabara)

img_20160324_121326fmsci.jpg

Honestly. Fly international business or first class. Sleept like a baby and was able to perfectly time my sleep to Japan. I got legitimate rest and was up and running almost immediately with more energy than the first time.

Edit: Fixed cellphone quick post errors.

you speak as though most people can casually drop upwards of 3000 dollars extra on airfare

Bullza2o

I've been seeing Splatoon stuff everywhere at the moment actually. Really surprised me. (By everywhere, I meant more than a couple of shops in Akihabara)

img_20160324_121326fmsci.jpg
Wow I gotta buy those!!
What are your favorite shops in Akihabara? There are so many stores, and I've only been to Kotobukiya and KBooks.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Man, Osaka is amazing with food. I'm in Dotonbori right now.

cj_iwakura

Landed! Stuck in the foreigner immigration line in front of a lady who keeps running into my backpack...

Guess that means I won't be going straight to any parks, eh...

Am I correct in figuring it will be nighttime at some point during the flight? Leaves Ft. Lauderdale at 8:25AM, Houston at 10:25AM, arrives at 2PM the next day in Narita.

Guess that means I won't be going straight to any parks, eh...

Am I correct in figuring it will be nighttime at some point during the flight? Leaves Ft. Lauderdale at 8:25AM, Houston at 10:25AM, arrives at 2PM the next day in Narita.

Depends on how many other flights arrive at the same time. At least you'll not have to wait in the JR pass queue as well :p

You'll have daylight all the time. They'll probably ask people to shut out the sunlight and turn down the lights for people who want to sleep though.

elhaym

Depends on how many other flights arrive at the same time. At least you'll not have to wait in the JR pass queue as well :p

You'll have daylight all the time. They'll probably ask people to shut out the sunlight and turn down the lights for people who want to sleep though.

Pretty much. My flight left Washington Dulles directly at about 12:30 and we hit ground at about 15:30 JST. BUT, but the time I actually got to my place in Ikebukuro it was already about 18:45 because of "object on the tracks" for the N'EX.

And yes, daylight the entire time. Cabin lights cut and crew did come by asking for everyone to close the blinds.

cj_iwakura

Not sure if I'll manage to sleep. I tried once during an overnight flight, and the turbulence had me too petrified until I passed out from exhaustion at some point.

Maybe it won't be as bad during this season or over the pacific, I hope.

Is the flight pattern a straight line, or does it go north by Alaska? That's what United's flight path looked like, but that doesn't seem to make much sense.

Not sure if I'll manage to sleep. I tried once during an overnight flight, and the turbulence had me too petrified until I passed out from exhaustion at some point.

Maybe it won't be as bad during this season or over the pacific, I hope.

Is the flight pattern a straight line, or does it go north by Alaska? That's what United's flight path looked like, but that doesn't seem to make much sense.

polar routes are shorter in distance because the circumference of the earth is wider nearer to the equator

Bullza2o

Pretty much. My flight left Washington Dulles directly at about 12:30 and we hit ground at about 15:30 JST. BUT, but the time I actually got to my place in Ikebukuro it was already about 18:45 because of "object on the tracks" for the N'EX.

And yes, daylight the entire time. Cabin lights cut and crew did come by asking for everyone to close the blinds.
It's good to know that immigration and the train to Tokyo doesn't take that long! I'll arrive at around 16:00 and was estimating my hotel arrival at around 19:00!

Don't know what I just got myself into but so stoked, bought tickets for me and my wife for a little over a grand from Tampa for the end of Oct for two weeks.

I'll be skimming through the first post to get a grasp of everything. Wanted to spend a few days in Tokyo but as for other cities do you guys think it would be too much to cram adding Kyoto and Osaka? Or would two cities be better?

cj_iwakura

Don't know what I just got myself into but so stoked, bought tickets for me and my wife for a little over a grand from Tampa for the end of Oct for two weeks.

I'll be skimming through the first post to get a grasp of everything. Wanted to spend a few days in Tokyo but as for other cities do you guys think it would be too much to cram adding Kyoto and Osaka? Or would two cities be better?

Sounds like you have plenty of time to see the other cities.

Stalk

Going in August, posted a few pages back. Pretty hyped. Going with my partner.

We booked our holiday last November and got some flights with Aeroflot but just got round to booking the next few bits of our trip. Airbnb'd Kyoto and Osaka, gonna do 3 days in Kyoto and 2 days in Osaka in a week - we're in Japan for a month so we've got plenty of time if we decide we want to go back to either hopefully haha.

Also just booked a lovely 5* ryokan for the night after we hike Fuji, the week before our Kyoto - Osaka trip. Really looking forward to this now, looking at peoples plans have given me some great ideas too - I don't want to weeb out in places but it's genuinely starting to feel hard to not want to haha. Luida's Cafe, Eorza Cafe and Ghibli Museum are gonna be definite hits for me.

Should be eventful, hasn't set me back too much either so far :D

Still need to buy a ring... so that's just as well

Stuart444

6 hours until we leave for the airport, 9 hours until our first (1 hour) flight.

Can't sleep, too nervous (with a tad bit of excitement haha). Hoping to get some sleep on our long-haul flight.

openrob

My first trip in 2013, I did Osaka, Kyoto & Tokyo over the course of ONE week. So yes defo possible haha. TBH, Osaka was cool, but of the 2 nights I spent there I most enjoyed my day trip to Hiroshima and Miyajima ilsand. The rest of it could be replaced by Tokyo.

Doing those 3 cities in 2 weeks sounds good.

6 hours until we leave for the airport, 9 hours until our first (1 hour) flight.

Can't sleep, too nervous (with a tad bit of excitement haha). Hoping to get some sleep on our long-haul flight.

See ya in Tokyo soon.

elhaym

I have no idea how, but each time I walk out in Ikebukuro I manage to get myself completely freaking lost within 10 minutes. This didn't happen in Shibuya or "downtown" Kyoto. >.>

Stuart444

See ya in Tokyo soon.

See ya soon :D.

This is mostly how Monday is planned (food not listed since it will depend on when/where we feel like getting something to eat :p)

1. Get through security
2. Get JRPass
3. Train to Shibuya
4. Get Eorzea Cafe tickets
5. Head to Tower Records to waste time until 2pm or so
6. Head to Tamachi, check into hotel, crash

Sounds like a good first day :p

Enjolras

Neo Member
In less than 24hours, I'll be starting my journey, so I'm pretty excited! Just need to finish packing, and I think I'm all set.

As much as I'd love to come to the GAF meetup, I'm just in the wrong place at the right time (catching a night ferry from Kobe that evening!). But I hope you all have a great evening!

Top Bottom