• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

We have some friends and family in Tokyo, and there are a few things in that city that we miss terribly. It's highly likely we'll spend our second week elsewhere, though. We're still planning things out.

Aha. Be prepared to miss it again after your second trip as well ;p

My travel partner is vehemently anti-smoking, doesn't like being around it at all, but I would like to check out Pachinko at some point (ideally would love to find that Metal gear machine ;). Are there parlours that aren't smokey wastelands of despair? And is it worth checking one out? Not spending a day or anything, just wanna check it off the bucket list.

Most of them have AC. Whenever I went into a Pachinko-arcade I never activly noticed the smoking scent.

Ken

my trip is over but it was a lot of fun. looking forward to going again.

much thanks to this thread for the assists.

Stalk

Weekend before I head off. Anxious AF about flying but excited. One month in Japan as well, so using lots of the suggestions from here :)

Well, I leave in a little over a day. My flight to LAX leaves at 6:10am, so I'm going to have to get up at like 3:30. That won't be fun.

Anyway, still need to figure out what do to with my extra time in Tokyo.

Zyzyxxz

Well, I leave in a little over a day. My flight to LAX leaves at 6:10am, so I'm going to have to get up at like 3:30. That won't be fun.

Anyway, still need to figure out what do to with my extra time in Tokyo.

I would much prefer that than having to go to LAX during rush hour times. At least you should be tired enough to sleep on the plane.

I would much prefer that than having to go to LAX during rush hour times. At least you should be tired enough to sleep on the plane.

maybe, but I have a hard time sleeping on any type moving vehicle.

Also, looks like I arrive at LAX and leave in the same terminal, so thats nice. Last time I had to go to the international terminal, which I thought I would this time as well, but online it says I come in and leave terminal 7. I have a 4 hour layover in LA, so I should have enough time no matter what happens I hope.

also, getting ready, I remembered my wallet was too short and foreign bills stuck out the top.
DSCN2546.jpg

edit: its 430 in the morning and Im at the airport ready to start my long af day

cj_iwakura

Heh, an article was published about visiting Japan in a Pennsylvania newspaper that name drops Mike's blog. Apparently he's a celebrity.

Zyzyxxz

maybe, but I have a hard time sleeping on any type moving vehicle.

Also, looks like I arrive at LAX and leave in the same terminal, so thats nice. Last time I had to go to the international terminal, which I thought I would this time as well, but online it says I come in and leave terminal 7. I have a 4 hour layover in LA, so I should have enough time no matter what happens I hope.

also, getting ready, I remembered my wallet was too short and foreign bills stuck out the top.
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k544/rancidponymilk/DSCN2546.jpg[
edit: its 430 in the morning and Im at the airport ready to start my long af day

Ah I didnt realize you were only passing thru LA not leaving from it.

The short money thing seems to be an American thing. Everytime I travel I notice most countries have taller currency than us. Might not seem like a big deal but it does bother me if the top of my bills get all wrinkly from being exposed in my pocket.

Trevelyon

Would I be fine if I just wing it from Tokyo to Aomori for nebuta matsuri. Thinking of getting a 5 day JR pass for the tohoku area. But I'm hoping to step on all my trains no fuss.

super bad move in obon season?

just got into narita. The immigration line is insanely long. Ill probably be here at least an hour. When I went through Haneda last time it took like 10 min.

Im also tired as shit as I couldnt sleep on the plane.

Zyzyxxz

just got into narita. The immigration line is insanely long. Ill probably be here at least an hour. When I went through Haneda last time it took like 10 min.

Im also tired as shit as I couldnt sleep on the plane.

More planes fly in/out of Narita than Haneda, if possible I would always choose Haneda (also because if you get in late trying to catch the last trains into the city suck)

KtSlime

More planes fly in/out of Narita than Haneda, if possible I would always choose Haneda (also because if you get in late trying to catch the last trains into the city suck)
Haneda is so much more convenient than Narita, I gladly pay a bit more to use it.

I can see that now, lol. At least right now Im on the train that goes from the airport to tokyo station. Then I just need to figure out what train to get on to find my station, then wander around until I find my hotel.

btw, when riding local trains with a jr pass, do i just walk by the gate and show my pass, or do I need to go to a jr office and get a ticket?

So is there any benefit to reserving a seat on the shinkasens? Are the non-reserved cars a mad scramble to get on?

Depends on how busy the shinkansen train you're getting on is. With a reserved seat you're guaranteed to have someplace to sit at least :p

+ on the Tohoku, Hokkaido and Hokuriku line shinkansen trains some of them doesn't have non-reserved cars.

JulianImp

We ended up having to plan the whole Nagano-Nagoya-Osaka part over, so our itinerary is now comes down to:
  • Sept 12-24: Tokyo
  • Sept 25 - Nov 8: Osaka
  • After Nov 8th: Maybe stop by Nagoya if we can, then back to Tokyo for the remainder of our stay
Looks like we'll be able to attend the Jidai Matsuri in Kyoto in October, which is always nice. Anyone know of any other local festivals that might happen during our trip? Anywhere cool we could go visit in the span of a single day around the places we'll be in would be nice, even if travel and eating out expenses raise our budget a bit (which we can always compensate by budgeting the other days accordingly).

We ended up having to plan the whole Nagano-Nagoya-Osaka part over, so our itinerary is now comes down to:
  • Sept 12-24: Tokyo
  • Sept 25 - Nov 8: Osaka
  • After Nov 8th: Maybe stop by Nagoya if we can, then back to Tokyo for the remainder of our stay
Looks like we'll be able to attend the Jidai Matsuri in Kyoto in October, which is always nice. Anyone know of any other local festivals that might happen during our trip? Anywhere cool we could go visit in the span of a single day around the places we'll be in would be nice, even if travel and eating out expenses raise our budget a bit (which we can always compensate by budgeting the other days accordingly).

There's lots of festivals just around Kyoto and some in Osaka too in October:
http://www.pref.kyoto.jp/visitkyoto/en/info_required/traditional/
http://www.pref.osaka.lg.jp/en/introduction/seasons.html

Trevelyon

Depends on how busy the shinkansen train you're getting on is. With a reserved seat you're guaranteed to have someplace to sit at least :p

+ on the Tohoku, Hokkaido and Hokuriku line shinkansen trains some of them doesn't have non-reserved cars.

Any idea of which of the Tohoku in and out bound trains? Believe I'll be on the tsubasa 75 up to Aomori.

It wouldn't be the worst if I had to stand or sit on my luggage,until a spot opened up.

Any idea of which of the Tohoku in and out bound trains? Believe I'll be on the tsubasa 75 up to Aomori.

It wouldn't be the worst if I had to stand or sit on my luggage,until a spot opened up.

Tsubasa trains have non-reserved cars, but the Tsubasa 75 goes to Yamagata, not to Aomori. If you're taking the Tsubasa 75, make sure you get on the Tsubasa part of the train, because it's connected to the Yamabiko 175 that will split and go to Sendai after Fukushima.

If you're actually going all the way to Aomori, then you have to reserve a ticket on the Hayabusa shinkansen.

SKINNER!

Banned
Any idea why the listing for Ghibli tickets for September hasn't appeared on the website yet? :<

July and August is there. I'm worried that they won't sell Sept ones.

Any idea why the listing for Ghibli tickets for September hasn't appeared on the website yet? :<

July and August is there. I'm worried that they won't sell Sept ones.

They only put them up on the 10th the month before now. So they'll go up on August 10th. Make sure to get up early if you want some though since they'll open sales at 10:00 Japan time :p

Trevelyon

Tsubasa trains have non-reserved cars, but the Tsubasa 75 goes to Yamagata, not to Aomori. If you're taking the Tsubasa 75, make sure you get on the Tsubasa part of the train, because it's connected to the Yamabiko 175 that will split and go to Sendai after Fukushima.

If you're actually going all the way to Aomori, then you have to reserve a ticket on the Hayabusa shinkansen.

Ah sorry, right you are. Was originally going Yamagata->Aomori, but switched it up. As per google maps, I'll be on Hayabusa trains from Tokyo to Aomori & Aomori back down to Yamagata, then a Tsubasa train back down to Tokyo from Yamagata.

Ok, now to sort out departure times.

Ah sorry, right you are. Was originally going Yamagata->Aomori, but switched it up. As per google maps, I'll be on Hayabusa trains from Tokyo to Aomori & Aomori back down to Yamagata, then a Tsubasa train back down to Tokyo from Yamagata.

Ok, now to sort out departure times.

If you're going to Aomori to Yamagata then you should switch to the JR Senzan line in Sendai since it's faster than switching to the Tsubasa in Fukushima.

So its been raining for a while outside and I realized I forgot to bring an umbrella.
Any convenience store should sell them right? Id preferably like one of the short ones so I can put it in my bag later

I made this mistake last time too.

My girlfriend and I are considering another few days in Osaka, and we're wondering where else to explore. In addition to the central hub (Dotonbori, etc), we checked out Shinsekai (which we loved) and a small pre-war neighborhood whose name I can't remember. What else would we like in a similar vein? What's old/weird in Osaka?

Trevelyon

If you're going to Aomori to Yamagata then you should switch to the JR Senzan line in Sendai since it's faster than switching to the Tsubasa in Fukushima.

Ah yeah, Google has me transferring in Sendai to Yamagata on the Senzan local line. All good.

I've optioned tokyo station for my pick ups. the travel service center seems like the place to be for the PASS exchange and online seat reservation tickets pickups.

EDIT: Also can I choose all the same date for all ticket pickups. The website stresses the day before hand, but what about days before hand?

Stalk

So its been raining for a while outside and I realized I forgot to bring an umbrella.
Any convenience store should sell them right? Id preferably like one of the short ones so I can put it in my bag later

I made this mistake last time too.

Just got off the plane and we are wearing our giant waterproof coats with pride right now haha.

So hyped to be here. Haven't slept in like 27 hours now (can't sleep on transport at all) but on my way to my Airbnb to set up base and then the girlfriend is likely going to fall into a coma...

guill

Wow finally after 2 weeks I read the whole thread lol, looking for options and kinda getting a lot of info.

My wife and I plan to go to Japan for our honeymoon around Late March-April 2017. My guess is that we wanna try go, i dont know like 15-17 days ? (Also depends on how much wedding money we receive haha)

Probably in late october I can have a good reead on that and the dates, at the moment I checked and we have to apply for the entry visa ( we are from Panama), and airline fees, around those dates are 892, in United-ANA, but im sure we can buy one and a half ticket using miles so we save that money.

Il keep reading in the meantime and when the time comes Il light the Japan signal for help haha.

Thanks for all the useful info you people have posted.

sfedai0

Banned
Theres been some amazing deals to not just Japan, but the rest of Asia as well this year. Hope these deals show up again next year.

just got back for the night. Im a bit pissed that all the stuff in my pockets pushed buttons on my phone and I lost some cool pictures I took.

Ive also been a gross sweaty mess most of the day. This humidity is killing me.

Anyway, tomorrow I need to figure out how to get to fukuoka on the shinkansen.

EDIT: Also can I choose all the same date for all ticket pickups. The website stresses the day before hand, but what about days before hand?

The day before time listed is the last possible pickup time. You can choose another date before that to pick them up, yes. And the same tip about making sure of getting on the correct shinkansen train is also valid when going to Aomori. Make sure you get on the Hayabusa part of the train and not the (often) also connected Komachi part that splits to Akita at Morioka station. Less chance of actually getting lost using this one though since all the cars are reserved and they check the tickets :p

Anyway, tomorrow I need to figure out how to get to fukuoka on the shinkansen.

If you got the JR Pass then you should get on the Hikari shinkansen train to Shin-Osaka and switch there to a Sakura shinkansen train. Oh, and they might not issue tickets for the Sakura trains in Tokyo, so you'll might need to get another seat reservation ticket at Shin-Osaka station if you're not riding unreserved.

If you got the JR Pass then you should get on the Hikari shinkansen train to Shin-Osaka and switch there to a Sakura shinkansen train. Oh, and they might not issue tickets for the Sakura trains in Tokyo, so you'll might need to get another seat reservation ticket at Shin-Osaka station if you're not riding unreserved.

Where do I get my seat reservation? Is it the JR office at Tokyo station I'm assuming?

Its going to suck carrying my bags in rush hour on the train. Once I get to fukuoka I'm just going to buy a metro card, since they dont use JR for local transportation and there's no way I'm walking a mile with my stuff in this awful weather.

Where do I get my seat reservation? Is it the JR office at Tokyo station I'm assuming?

Its going to suck carrying my bags in rush hour on the train. Once I get to fukuoka I'm just going to buy a metro card, since they dont use JR for local transportation and there's no way I'm walking a mile with my stuff in this awful weather.

Well, either at Tokyo station or you could get on the train at Shinagawa too, depends on which station is closer to you. Both got ticket offices where you can get shinkansen tickets.

If you already got a Suica/Pasmo card in Tokyo, then you can use the same card in Fukuoka.

Well, either at Tokyo station or you could get on the train at Shinagawa too, depends on which station is closer to you. Both got ticket offices where you can get shinkansen tickets.

If you already got a Suica/Pasmo card in Tokyo, then you can use the same card in Fukuoka.

Tokyo station is closer, so I'll be going there. Also, since I have the JR pass I didnt bother getting a suica or pasmo card.

hwalker84

The day before time listed is the last possible pickup time. You can choose another date before that to pick them up, yes. And the same tip about making sure of getting on the correct shinkansen train is also valid when going to Aomori. Make sure you get on the Hayabusa part of the train and not the (often) also connected Komachi part that splits to Akita at Morioka station. Less chance of actually getting lost using this one though since all the cars are reserved and they check the tickets :p

They did both reservations for me in Tokyo for my trip to Fukuoka.

Copons

Yo guys, I have this sort of curiosity that I'd ask you.

Basically, here and pretty much everywhere, when it comes to mobile internet in Japan, everyone suggests to get one of those pocket wifi thingies.

Except, a dear friend who's been living in Tokyo for the last year, told me to get this sim card instead.
He's been using it for a long time with no issues at all, it's covered by Docomo LTE/3G so I should be fine (except maybe... the Shirakawa/Takayama area and Koya?), price and data cap seem fair and I can even get it in Narita as soon as I land.

And most importantly: it's one less gadget to keep around and charged all the time (on top of two phones, two power banks and one tablet).
(and also: all the Airbnbs I've booked have a pocket wifi for guests to use for free anyway)

So yeah: why does everybody suggest getting a pocket wifi instead of a much more practical (and similarly priced) sim card?
What's the catch?

Top Bottom