• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Hm... Do you have a direct flight to wherever you're going from Narita or do you have flight connections/layovers?
Narita to San Francisco to Los Angeles

I did some research and apparently it's fairly easy to find, but cost twice as much due to limited edition packaging.

Wondering if I should just buy in Tokyo and check the bottle in solo... can I even do that?

Check out what I got $40 in Hiroshima.

BzqAx3I.jpg

Now I have no choice but to get a Famicom : /

Narita to San Francisco to Los Angeles

I did some research and apparently it's fairly easy to find, but cost twice as much due to limited edition packaging.

Wondering if I should just buy in Tokyo and check the bottle in solo... can I even do that?

You can buy at the airport and it'll also be tax free, but you'll be past the gates and basically can't carry it on the plane. I've asked about it when departing before going to NRT > LAX.

It's easier to buy in Tokyo or wherever. I usually just buy a few bottles of whisky and throw it in my check in luggage wrapped with some clothes. If you find a store that will do tax free, they'll usually wrap it in bubble wrap for you too.

There's a liquor store called Yamaya that's only about an 8 minute walk from Shinjuku station that has tax free, make sure to bring your passport and get ready for the longest wrapping and bagging ever. It was so long that I could even tell the worker was getting frustrated with all the stuff he had to stamp and fill out.

When I went last year, it was kind of tough to find any aged Whiskys. The only thing I was able to find that time was a Yamazaki 12. If you can find it, spring for the Hibiki 17 instead, you won't regret!

You can buy at the airport and it'll also be tax free, but you'll be past the gates and basically can't carry it on the plane. I've asked about it when departing before going to NRT > LAX.

They got STEBs at Narita since October so you can buy there now (unless you got layovers in certain countries):
Well, should be fine buying it in tax free now at least since they finally got STEBs last year.

They got STEBs at Narita since October so you can buy there now (unless you got layovers in certain countries):

Looks like I left 2 days before that was implemented last year haha. Oh well, not too much a hassle since every year I always buy while in town and I always stick it in my check in luggage anyway.

Ooooooh what retro store????
A Book Off!

I'm on such an insane roll with all the super finds I've been super lucky with, and I've yet to set foot inna single videogame store.

It bares repeating, FF6 for Super Famicom, sealed, $3. Super Famicom system, $10, at a Hard Off in Aizuwakamatsu!

Any ways, what is STEBS?

Apparently you can find Hibiki 12 at Narita, but it's supposedly nearly twice as much due to limited edition packaging.

Would rather just get it Tokyo, bubble wrap it to hell and back and check it in by itself, maybe with some clothes too obviously for extra padding.

Was hoping to avoid what will Jo doubt be long check in lines.

Any ways, what is STEBS?

Apparently you can find Hibiki 12 at Narita, but it's supposedly nearly twice as much due to limited edition packaging.

Would rather just get it Tokyo, bubble wrap it to hell and back and check it in by itself, maybe with some clothes too obviously for extra padding.

Security Tamper Evident Bags
http://www.naa.jp/en/press/pdf/20151020-stebs[en].pdf

That's what I've done for 4 years now without any issues, I think the most I've had one year was 3 or 4 bottles in my suitcase. Just make sure there isn't actually any room for the bottles to move around.

hohoXD123

I'll be flying off at the end of this week and staying for 5 weeks. Had a couple of questions though. In regards to sims, which one should I go for considering I'm staying there for 5 weeks? Can I get 2 separate 14 day b-mobile ones and charge one for an extra 10 days? Also, in regards to food, I'm a vegetarian so I appreciate it'll be tougher than what I'm used to here in the UK (though I'll be in Tokyo so not too bad), but are there any tips or recommendations for places/things to eat?

Nista

Sure, what kind of stuff are you into? Namba and Umeda areas have great shopping, dotonburi is fun at night to eat all kinds of street food, osaka castle, Amerimura and the surrounding area have a ton of cool vintage shops and record stores, nakanoshima has a couple cool museums and old architecture, nipponbashi has, imo, better retro game shopping than akihabara. There are actually a few craft breweries in Osaka too, mostly around the umeda area.

Craft breweries eh? Might have to look into that, we enjoy going to the ones that are everywhere down here in Socal. Would be interesting to see if Japan uses the same german engineering or their own equipment!

I get the feeling from all this talk about luggage we should try to bring only smaller bags over and then buy some cheap luggage at the end of the trip to carry all our purchases back home (or ship them back ahead of time). Our giant american size rolling bags would be annoying to deal with on a train and may not fit in a coin locker?

I brought a reasonably sized suitcase, and a backpack. Fortunate enough to leave it at a friend's house whenever I take off and just have the backpack with a week supply of clothes. Makes a world of difference to only have a backpack when doing 3-5 cities in one week.

Have I mentioned how much I love the shinkansen? Cause i sure love the fucking hell out of it. Such a shame we don't have such a system in America.

leroidys

Yeah, for this trip my SO and I just brought a backpack and a small rolling carry-on. We were planning on getting another backpack and checking the carry on on the way back, but somehow it looks like we're going to manage to pack it all. Might have to leave behind a pair of pants or something though.

Rolling luggage is really nice since you'll do so much walking, but there's a ton of stairs so it's a bit of a mixed bag.

JulianImp

I'm currently contemplating extending my stay in Japan, but I'll have to budget everyday costs before I can choose a return date that will allow me to stay as much as I can without risking running out of money halfway through.

I already have the plane tickets and two weeks of AirBnB lodging paid, but after that I'll probably be relying on those sites that let you do volunteer work to get lodging, so that my friends and I can roam around rather than getting stuck in one place like I did last time.

As far as expenses go, I think everyday costs would be about ¥1,500 a day on average (which would account for two ¥500 meals and a couple train trips), but I don't have a clue of the costs of travelling out of Tokyo and into smaller towns, or going from there to Osaka/Kyoto while stopping by any towns in between that'd be worth our while. Shinkansen and more expensive trains lines are obviously out of the picture for the sake of keeping our budget as light as possible, and we'd love to do work-for-lodging in as many places as we can to keep that side of the budget on the lower side as well.

Summing up my thoughts, I'm trying to research towns that would be worth visiting, and some help to make sure I don't underbudget for our travels and end up staying for longer than my wallet can hold out. I'd obviously love it if I could just do freelance work through the Internet and wouldn't have to worry about running out of money, but having a clear worst-case budget would be best so that I can set my plane ticket's return date accordingly.

Almost all hostels/guesthouses offer free lodging for roughly 4 hours of work per day. If you have the time to spare, stay as long as you can. Hit up Kyoto, Kanazawa, and Miyajima/Hiroshima for sure. Going to Osaka tomorrow, I think it's safe to assume it's worth checking out.

But definitely put Kyoto and Kanazawa at the top of your list.

I'll be flying off at the end of this week and staying for 5 weeks. Had a couple of questions though. In regards to sims, which one should I go for considering I'm staying there for 5 weeks? Can I get 2 separate 14 day b-mobile ones and charge one for an extra 10 days? Also, in regards to food, I'm a vegetarian so I appreciate it'll be tougher than what I'm used to here in the UK (though I'll be in Tokyo so not too bad), but are there any tips or recommendations for places/things to eat?

Better to just get a mobile WiFi device. http://wifi.tocoo.jp/en/

I get the feeling from all this talk about luggage we should try to bring only smaller bags over and then buy some cheap luggage at the end of the trip to carry all our purchases back home (or ship them back ahead of time). Our giant american size rolling bags would be annoying to deal with on a train and may not fit in a coin locker?

My luggage is 11x18x29 inches and it's perfectly fine to get around with both on trains and for large size lockers.

Almost all hostels/guesthouses offer free lodging for roughly 4 hours of work per day.

A lot of them would want you to stay for a month or more though :p

Second night in Osaka... This place really threw me over the edge. It's gonna be so damn hard to leave. I love it here so much.

Street food here is sooooo good, and the people are so damn outgoing and funny.

graycut

Neo Member
About 6 days before going, 1st 3 nights will be at osaka.
What are the best places to shop for games there? I'll be staying at umeda area.

hobozero

OMG, I am all booked up. First class ANA to Tokyo. MY BODY IS READY.

I am re-reading through the thread, but if anyone has any luggage advice I would love to hear it. I am packing very light as it's a short trip, just a few days in the city. I need to pick up a backpack or sling or something. Is there a generic GAF travel advice thread somewhere? I couldn't find one.

hwalker84

OMG, I am all booked up. First class ANA to Tokyo. MY BODY IS READY.

I am re-reading through the thread, but if anyone has any luggage advice I would love to hear it. I am packing very light as it's a short trip, just a few days in the city. I need to pick up a backpack or sling or something. Is there a generic GAF travel advice thread somewhere? I couldn't find one.
I did 22 days out of this. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MYBSZC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Well I finally got everything set for my trip. I got my JR rail pass, and all my hotels are booked and payed for. Now I just have to figure out what to do with my extra time in Tokyo. If anyone else is there Monday August 1st or Tuesday August 2nd and would want to hang out in the evening let me know. We could go drinking, get dinner, go drinking or even go drinking.

I also got 50,000 yen which should be enough, considering I also have a massive pile of change and some bills left over from my last trip. When I went to the bank I asked if I could get all 5000 bills, and of course I got everything but that. I got 10,000, 2000 and 1000. There must be a ton of 2000 yen bills in the US, because I got a lot last time, and whenever I use them in Japan people are surprised to see them, as no one there uses them.

Zatoth

Thinking of going to Japan over New Year again. Any places you can recommend to visit during New Year's Eve? Last Year I went to Asakusa.

I'll probably will not be in Tokyo for it. I am considering visiting Okinawa / Ishigaki this tim. Anyone been there during New Year?

The final haul... Assuming I don't buy anything else.

I came with the intention of buying just a Super Famicom and Mario World, but I kept coming up on so many insane deals that I couldn't stop myself.

Altogether, everything you see here, cost me roughly $200.

I feel like I definitely made off like a bandit.

Book-Off in small towns is your friend. Your very very good friend.

ZM7JOxS.jpg

fYq2km6.jpg

I still can't believe it. Most notable insane deals...

Sealed Final Fantasy 6 - $3
Super Famicom - $10
Famicom - $25
Disk System - $40

Special shout out to A-Too as well, they had some fantastic prices here and there.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
That ff6 was specifically sold as 未開封? Not just a reseal?

213372bu

Banned
I'm planning a 5 day itinerary around Tokyo with a hotel in Shinjuku.

The hotel I'm going to be staying out is Hotel Hanabi, if it matters.

I'm trying to process what to do, and how to best go about following the itineraries and making adjustments.

Is Shinjuku and Odaiba doable in a day for instance? Most have them listed as half-day trips with only 20 minutes travel.

Also, if anyone has ever had a 5 day trip itinerary that goes through Tokyo it would be appreciated if you guys might share it this way.

Processing this much head-first has been a bit rough, ahaha.

Stuart444

I'm planning a 5 day itinerary around Tokyo with a hotel in Shinjuku.

The hotel I'm going to be staying out is Hotel Hanabi, if it matters.

I'm trying to process what to do, and how to best go about following the itineraries and making adjustments.

Is Shinjuku and Odaiba doable in a day for instance? Most have them listed as half-day trips with only 20 minutes travel.

Also, if anyone has ever had a 5 day trip itinerary that goes through Tokyo it would be appreciated if you guys might share it this way.

Processing this much head-first has been a bit rough, ahaha.

I'd recommend setting aside a day for Odaiba. But if you don't mind rushing it, sure I guess you could do both in a day.

Nice!! Now I want to travel to Japan :( dammit.

Been feeling like that since I got back from Japan a few months ago.

Stuart444

Time to plan another trip!

I saw your name in the "Last post" bit and went "no no no... *reads your usual line* DAMN IT"

<.<

*looks at bank account* *sigh* ;_: one day

Youtube doesn't help. Spent a good bit looking up stuff we did/didn't do last time. Just finished watching a 4k quality vid from Daiba to Shimbashi on the Yurikamome. Lovely quality and makes me want to go back even more ;_;

I blame video games. >.> if I didn't spend so much on games *shakes fist*

213372bu

Banned
I'd recommend setting aside a day for Odaiba. But if you don't mind rushing it, sure I guess you could do both in a day.

Been feeling like that since I got back from Japan a few months ago.

Depends on how much you want to see of each place really. Odaiba got enough to see and do for 2 days if you're interested in everything that's there :p

Time to plan another trip!
Thanks for the replies, I figured Odaiba could be a bit bigger than just a half-day trip.

Stuart444

Maybe play some Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth again ;)

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, even Persona 5. All games that have Japan/Tokyo in them. >.>

Thanks for the replies, I figured Odaiba could be a bit bigger than just a half-day trip.

If you spend the day there, buy a one day pass for the Yurikamome. It's a driverless line that connects Shimbashi and Toyosu via Odaiba. It's awesome to travel on and convenient.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yurikamome

I spent a bit of time on there because I went to Odaiba early when everything was closed but it's pretty cool to travel on. :)

elhaym

If you spend the day there, buy a one day pass for the Yurikamome. It's a driverless line that connects Shimbashi and Toyosu via Odaiba. It's awesome to travel on and convenient.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yurikamome

I spent a bit of time on there because I went to Odaiba early when everything was closed but it's pretty cool to travel on. :)

Daaaaang, I wish I had known about that when I needed to end one of my days in Toyosu (Which was pretty randomly one of two places my friend and I could get tickets for theater live viewings).

edit: omg, I'd need to spend time in Takeshiba station just to listen to Takahashi Chiaki announcements, lol.

Leaving today. I don't think I've ever been so sad in my life. It's been an absolute amazing month. Can not wait to come back. Can't come back soon enough.

Spectacular country.

Top Bottom