• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

kIdMuScLe

Hey yo so me and the old lady have decided to travel to Japan in November of 2017 for approx 2-3weeks since I got a new job with benefits. We are thinking of doing Kyoto, Osaka , Hiroshima and 1 day of visiting her friend. Then we are going to Seoul Korea for 2-3days. Then for like 4 days in Tokyo before going home. So how should I start looking at this trip when planning? Thanks... Oh yeah should I get the JR rail pass?

Stuart444

Hey yo so me and the old lady have decided to travel to Japan in November of 2017 for approx 2-3weeks since I got a new job with benefits. We are thinking of doing Kyoto, Osaka , Hiroshima and 1 day of visiting her friend. Then we are going to Seoul Korea for 2-3days. Then for like 4 days in Tokyo before going home. So how should I start looking at this trip when planning? Thanks... Oh yeah should I get the JR rail pass?

Figure out the dates your planning on, use hyperdia.com and check if the individual ticket prices are more expensive than the JR Pass and if so, buy the JR Pass. If not, then don't because it won't be worth it.

You can use a IC Card like PASMO/Suica for train travel besides that.

But yeah, start with dates for things and what you want to do so you can figure out how much it's going to cost you all in all I'd say.

Heyo folks.

I'm looking to spend 2 weeks in Western-ish Japan in September or October.
The Kyoto-Osaka and ancillary highlights kind of trip - I've been to Tokyo once, a few years ago.

Is there a particular period I should go for? Mid September to late October? Early October to mid October?

Should I book everything up front, or have the first few days set and then figure it out from there?

Edit: reading over the last few pages has given me lots of good advice :)

JulianImp

So, our travel itinerary's slowly taking shape:
  • Sept 12-24: Tokyo
  • Sept 25-Oct 3: Nagano countryside
  • Oct 4-12: Nagoya
  • Oct 13-Nov 13: Osaka/Kyoto/Nara
  • Nov 14-Dec 6: Back to Tokyo until our return
Does that sound good, or should we actually stay a bit longer in Nagano/Nagoya to sightsee some more and stuff?

We've researched that we could take night buses for the Nagoya->Osaka and Osaka->Tokyo trips in order to save a couple thousand yen, but going to Nagano city by bus and then taking a train into the Matsumoto countryside would cost the same as simply just riding the train there.

As for data/internet plans, one of us spotted https://t.iijmio.jp/en/index.html, which sells 2 GB data SIMs valid for 90 days for ¥3800, and that seems dirt-cheap compared to other alternatives and would certainly be serviceable enough for checking google maps while on the move and stuff like that.

For the sake of being conservative, we're thinking about an average of ¥1500 for daily food and travel expenses. We'll probably be cooking our own food, buying hyakuenshop food and walking instead of taking trains as much as we can to keep the costs down, but we still want to go eat some nicer stuff a couple days a week (but still nothing too fancy). The funniest part is that these daily food and short train expenses more than double the costs we've looked into for long-distance travel and lodging combined...

Ignorant question #1: I want to get yen at the airport. Using my American debit card is the smarter way to do this over bringing a large amount of US dollars, right?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Ignorant question #1: I want to get yen at the airport. Using my American debit card is the smarter way to do this over bringing a large amount of US dollars, right?
Yes. Go to 7-11 ATM.

If you're withdrawing large amounts then make sure you know about any daily/weekly limits of your card. Oh, and the new transaction limit of the 7-11 ATMs which is 50000 JPY (but you might be able to just withdraw money several times instead)

KiraFA37

Hello Japan-Travel-Gaf

I need a holiday so in November I'll be going to Japan, now before I order my tickets I want some advice. I'm planning to go between either the 5th and 20th of november or between the 12th and 27th of november. Are there any festivals or events during this time that I need to take in account when deciding in which timeframe I go? So far I've decided I want to visit Tokyo, Hiroshima and Kagoshima and do some hiking or sightseeing.

Hello Japan-Travel-Gaf

I need a holiday so in November I'll be going to Japan, now before I order my tickets I want some advice. I'm planning to go between either the 5th and 20th of november or between the 12th and 27th of november. Are there any festivals or events during this time that I need to take in account when deciding in which timeframe I go? So far I've decided I want to visit Tokyo, Hiroshima and Kagoshima and do some hiking or sightseeing.

There's Labor Thanksgiving Day on the 23rd. No major festivals. Various events are happening all the time.

spacebear

I'm helping plan a 2 1/2 week trip to Japan this November for a group of 6. I've been doing a ton of research but wanted to see what some more seasoned travelers think of what we have so far. Would love any suggestions if you have any :D

126XYqW.png

I'm helping plan a 2 1/2 week trip to Japan this November for a group of 6. I've been doing a ton of research but wanted to see what some more seasoned travelers think of what we have so far. Would love any suggestions if you have any :D

Seems like a good schedule. Namco Wonder Tower closed down years ago though :p

You're better off going to Mandarake (+ they got that floor with pre-owned figures and stuff and one with robot figures and such) than Retro Game Camp if you're actually interested in buying anything. Less overpriced.

Most likely you'll not see any cosplayers at Jingu bridge. You'll have a slightly higher chance to see any if you go there on a Sunday though, but still only a slim chance.

And I think you've put Skytree on the wrong day? It's closer to Ueno/Sensoji than Odaiba. Unless you're planning to take the bus there after you've checked out Odaiba or something.

spacebear

Seems like a good schedule. Namco Wonder Tower closed down years ago though :p

You're better off going to Mandarake (+ they got that floor with pre-owned figures and stuff and one with robot figures and such) than Retro Game Camp if you're actually interested in buying anything. Less overpriced.

Most likely you'll not see any cosplayers at Jingu bridge. You'll have a slightly higher chance to see any if you go there on a Sunday though, but still only a slim chance.

And I think you've put Skytree on the wrong day? It's closer to Ueno/Sensoji than Odaiba. Unless you're planning to take the bus there after you've checked out Odaiba or something.

Really appreciate the tips - I guess some of the guides I was looking at were a bit outdated :x

As for the Skytree, we were planning on taking a bus up there depending on how long we stayed in Odaiba that morning. I'll bring it up with our group though and make sure everyone knows about the travel time.

As for the Skytree, we were planning on taking a bus up there depending on how long we stayed in Odaiba that morning. I'll bring it up with our group though and make sure everyone knows about the travel time.

Any particular reason why you're taking the Skybus? It only got like 8-9 buses a day.

It's much cheaper to take the train. Can even get a day pass for the Yurikamome which enables you to get around in Odaiba without walking too much.

Are there omiyage stores and Pokemon store at Narita Airport after passing customs? I forget.

There's omiyage stores everywhere. The Pokemon store is in terminal 2. It's after customs if you arrive there, but before the security screening if you're flying out.

Ken

There's omiyage stores everywhere. The Pokemon store is in terminal 2. It's after customs if you arrive there, but before the security screening if you're flying out.

Oh ok. I'll have to make sure to check it out between checking in and going through security cause I'm flying out.

Heading to Fukuoka Friday just to get out of Kagoshima for a weekend. Been before but did not really go anywhere. Any suggested places, restaurants, shopping and what not?

Hope to arrive in the afternoon or late morning from the shinkansen, check in and head out. Only really know Tennoji the party area, though do add that if you know a fun club or bar.

Stuart444

Heading to Fukuoka Friday just to get out of Kagoshima for a weekend. Been before but did not really go anywhere. Any suggested places, restaurants, shopping and what not?

Hope to arrive in the afternoon or late morning from the shinkansen, check in and head out. Only really know Tennoji the party area, though do add that if you know a fun club or bar.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-dCkSvkIDxHn9yp6yTtXHdHs03S_UDiq

Micaela has plenty of vids on Fukuoka if you're interested. Give you some ideas and stuff :)

KillGore

How's the weather in Japan around May? Thinking about going early May for around 3 weeks.

Thinking about going to Tokyo, Osaka, maybe even Sapporo

I have a friend that's going to be visiting Japan shorty. I asked her to get me something, but I have no idea what I'd want. Any recommendations on some cool/interesting souvenirs?

Copons

Hi there, I've got a quick question about the JR Pass validity: does it expire at the same time of activation or does it last the entire last day of validity?

I'll get a 14-days pass, and I'd like to activate it at Narita (to spare the Nex ticket) on August 29 around noon. Then I'll go around and come back to Tokyo in the evening of September 11.

08/29 to 09/11 are exactly 14 days, but you know, I'd like to avoid the horrible surprise of having to pay for the Shinkansen back from Osaka to Tokyo.

Hi there, I've got a quick question about the JR Pass validity: does it expire at the same time of activation or does it last the entire last day of validity?

I'll get a 14-days pass, and I'd like to activate it at Narita (to spare the Nex ticket) on August 29 around noon. Then I'll go around and come back to Tokyo in the evening of September 11.

08/29 to 09/11 are exactly 14 days, but you know, I'd like to avoid the horrible surprise of having to pay for the Shinkansen back from Osaka to Tokyo.

It will last the entire last day so you will be fine.

Futaba

Any ideas if the joban expressway is still open as it passes through the exclusion zone?, as far as I remember only the IC exits were closed and through traffic was still permitted? Will be the first time i'll be driving up north again since the quake and i am somewhat apprehensive.

Fritz

I have a friend that's going to be visiting Japan shorty. I asked her to get me something, but I have no idea what I'd want. Any recommendations on some cool/interesting souvenirs?

I mean there is the obvious video game and anime merch.

My most used souvenir are really nice hand made chop sticks though. Reasonably priced (I mean chop sticks come in a massive price range from dirt cheap to luxuriously expensive) and no burden on your friends luggage to boot.

Also easy to acquire if your friend doesn't want to hunt down rare anime figurine x in the backstreets of akihabara.

My girlfriend and I stayed in Tokyo for 3 months last year, and we're looking to make another short two-week trip this Fall/Winter. Has anyone gone back to Japan after a long stay and found it incredibly depressing? Like, I'm somewhat worried that going back for a short trip will feel painfully inadequate!

I'm also looking for weird, offbeat neighborhoods to explore. We were able to see a lot while we were there, so we're looking for something we wouldn't have already thought of.

hobozero

My travel partner is vehemently anti-smoking, doesn't like being around it at all, but I would like to check out Pachinko at some point (ideally would love to find that Metal gear machine ;). Are there parlours that aren't smokey wastelands of despair? And is it worth checking one out? Not spending a day or anything, just wanna check it off the bucket list.

My girlfriend and I stayed in Tokyo for 3 months last year, and we're looking to make another short two-week trip this Fall/Winter. Has anyone gone back to Japan after a long stay and found it incredibly depressing? Like, I'm somewhat worried that going back for a short trip will feel painfully inadequate!

I'm also looking for weird, offbeat neighborhoods to explore. We were able to see a lot while we were there, so we're looking for something we wouldn't have already thought of.

Why not check out one of the other cities in Japan?

Top Bottom