• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Fireblend

Banned
What kind of camera are you using?
It's a Sony A6000 with two lenses, a wide angle Rokinon 12mm f2.0 and a Sony 35mm f1.8

I had so much fun taking pictures during our trip; Japan is just too easy to photograph, everything looks incredible :p ended up uploading something like 200 pics for my family on fb.

I'm going to be going off to Japan a week from today. My first time ever being there, and I'm super excited, and nervous as hell. Any recommendations on how to get over my fear of being terrified about flying? lol

Going by myself with a rather small budget, purely sight seeing, and just having fun. Beyond my food and travel budget, I think I'll have about 26,000 yen extra for spending on goodies in Akihabara. Will that be enough to get some good retro stuff maybe?

It's a Sony A6000 with two lenses, a wide angle Rokinon 12mm f2.0 and a Sony 35mm f1.8

I had so much fun taking pictures during our trip; Japan is just too easy to photograph, everything looks incredible :p ended up uploading something like 200 pics for my family on fb.

They look pretty good. I didn't realize Sony had a decent DSLR.

I'm going to be going off to Japan a week from today. My first time ever being there, and I'm super excited, and nervous as hell. Any recommendations on how to get over my fear of being terrified about flying? lol

Going by myself with a rather small budget, purely sight seeing, and just having fun. Beyond my food and travel budget, I think I'll have about 26,000 yen extra for spending on goodies in Akihabara. Will that be enough to get some good retro stuff maybe?

If you're careful, you can definitely get away with having that little extra spending cash but you're going to want to come back in a year or two to make up for it.

danowat

Banned

I am the world's worse flyer, if I can do it, anyone can.

My tips, don't concern yourself with 'getting over it' you won't concern your self with mitigating the stress and anxiety that will present itself.

there are a couple of things I find helpful.

1) the flight crew and pilots do this as a job, daily, they are highly trained and highly skilled, imagine having to do it every day? surely you can do it a few times a year?

2) flying is extremely safe, the chances of getting killed on a flight is about 11 million to 1, now that raw stat on its own doesn't help me, because it's tough to visualise it, I imagine it as thought I have an 11 million sided dice and I am trying to roll a 6.

You will be fine, you'll get there enjoy your trip and you'll get back.

druuuuugs

My wife who has issues with flying swears by this (senpaa) . If you take other drugs, it might be a bad idea. I think I read once that it reacts poorly with a lot of things that Americans tend to pump themselves with. Unfortunately, also, you have to be in Japan to get it.

danowat

Banned
In my experience, drugs and/or alcohol just make it worse, if you are truly scared of flying, unless you are completely blind drink or smashed out of your skull on drugs, the adrenal system will just keep that fear at the forefront of your mind.

plus, you won't be in a great state to exit the plane quickly if something did go tits up.

Fireblend

Banned

I don't, but just know that no matter how much you suffer up there, it's gonna be worth it, hahaha :D

Yeah, I'm going to just suck it up the best I can. I just wanted to mention it, because it is in the back of my mind. I've done quite a bit of searching online, and made a pretty comprehensive list of places I'm going to go.

Not that I can fit everything, does anyone have any strong recommendations for places to visit in Tokyo, or in/near Kyoto? I'm thinking about going to a maid cafe in Akihabara also xD any recommendation for a specific one?

Yeah, I'm going to just suck it up the best I can. I just wanted to mention it, because it is in the back of my mind. I've done quite a bit of searching online, and made a pretty comprehensive list of places I'm going to go.

Not that I can fit everything, does anyone have any strong recommendations for places to visit in Tokyo, or in/near Kyoto? I'm thinking about going to a maid cafe in Akihabara also xD any recommendation for a specific one?

A bunch of us have gone to Maidreamin in Akihabara. It is a good place to go if you enjoy feeling shame.

A bunch of us have gone to Maidreamin in Akihabara. It is a good place to go if you enjoy feeling shame.

Looked that one up, it actually looks cool, xD

I've given up feeling "shame" for things I enjoy. Fuck what other people think.

I know a little Japanese, but not a lot. I wonder how difficult time I will have in places like this.

I've never done the maid cafe. Seems like a lot of trouble for extreme sweets and just okay food.

It's the experience that I'd wanna go for. Nothing quite like that where I live, and I love moe lol

Edit: Been browsing super potato's site, just to get an idea of prices of what some retro game stuff might cost there. Can't decide if it'd be cooler to buy a famicom, or super famicom. They both have great games. Sega Saturn is very tempting too, especially with games being a lot cheaper for japanese releases.

Fireblend

Banned
My gf got a Super Famicom in Super Potato, it was something like 3200 yen but it depends on the state of the console, you can go really cheap for a yellower one :p Do keep on mind you need an adapter to protect the SF (or Famicom) from the American voltage stuff. You can get one there.

Or you can buy a clone console that plays both FC and SF for a similar price, or go crazy and get the Retro Freak that is the price of a current console but plays everything under the sun, we were tempted.

Edit: Been browsing super potato's site, just to get an idea of prices of what some retro game stuff might cost there. Can't decide if it'd be cooler to buy a famicom, or super famicom. They both have great games. Sega Saturn is very tempting too, especially with games being a lot cheaper for japanese releases.

You can play Super Famicom games on a US SNES pretty easily. I would go for a Famicom or Saturn. Famicom is a little more difficult to play on an NES and the Saturn, while simple to play multi-region, is a lot cheaper or more plentiful (and has better titles than your Nintendo systems) than a US one.

My gf got a Super Famicom in Super Potato, it was something like 3200 yen but it depends on the state of the console, you can go really cheap for a yellower one :p Do keep on mind you need an adapter to protect the SF (or Famicom) from the American voltage stuff. You can get one there.

Or you can buy a clone console that plays both FC and SF for a similar price, or go crazy and get the Retro Freak that is the price of a current console but plays everything under the sun, we were tempted.

absolutely disgusting

Trevelyon

Anyone know how heavily booked/travelled the tokaido line's Hikari and Kodama bullet trains would be on 2nd through 4th?

I can't reserve a seat out of country, unlike JR East routes which you can. So... best bet would be to get on the platform and stalk out a non-reserve car asap?

Anyone know how heavily booked/travelled the tokaido line's Hikari and Kodama bullet trains would be on 2nd through 4th?

I can't reserve a seat out of country, unlike JR East routes which you can. So... best bet would be to get on the platform and stalk out a non-reserve car asap?

Try to reserve a seat ASAP when you get to Japan. If there's no seats free then get on a non-reserved car as soon as possible :p

elhaym

Last year I was traveling to Kyoto on the 1st and Tokyo on the 4th (I think Hikari), and made reservations on Dec 25th without much of a problem. Can't find my ticket at the moment to tell you what time of day, but yeah, try to make reservations ASAP...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Arcades in Japan are often disappointing these days - it's all UFO machines and rhythm games. But the Namco arcade in makuhari mall was a lot of fun. Crazy pacman air hockey game that has a 'multiball' mode, and 'Gunbullet X' which is a modern remake of the old classic light gun games and was a lot of fun. Hope that comes to consoles eventually. Also a couple of Star Wars battle pods which I'd never played but were good too

Dai Kaiju

So, if I were thinking about going to Japan to be homeless for a month, what would be the best city to fly to? I don't speak a word of Japanese and I wouldn't be getting around any way other than walking. I'd basically be a hobo so my primary concerns are the homeless laws. Nevermind the why.

This might be the best place to ask, since I haven't flown in a long long time, and never by myself.

When I get ready for the flight, I saw that I can check in online within 24 hours on the website of my airlines....Since I have 1 connecting flight each way, do I have to check in on both airlines sites? I guess I'm a little confused about the whole boarding pass process. I saw that I can print out the boarding pass, but again, I'm not sure if I need to do it for each and every flight.

Also, what about the return flights? Will I have the check in again within 24 hours, and print out new boarding passes? Not sure how/where I'd do that in japan.

I'm flying there using ANA, and I think the one in US stop is with United Airlines.

I'd appreciate any info on this stuff, because I found that their sites do a terrible job explaining this.

Arcades in Japan are often disappointing these days - it's all UFO machines and rhythm games. But the Namco arcade in makuhari mall was a lot of fun. Crazy pacman air hockey game that has a 'multiball' mode, and 'Gunbullet X' which is a modern remake of the old classic light gun games and was a lot of fun. Hope that comes to consoles eventually. Also a couple of Star Wars battle pods which I'd never played but were good too

I'm hoping I can find Daytona USA 3 while I'm there.

This might be the best place to ask, since I haven't flown in a long long time, and never by myself.

When I get ready for the flight, I saw that I can check in online within 24 hours on the website of my airlines....Since I have 1 connecting flight each way, do I have to check in on both airlines sites? I guess I'm a little confused about the whole boarding pass process. I saw that I can print out the boarding pass, but again, I'm not sure if I need to do it for each and every flight.

Also, what about the return flights? Will I have the check in again within 24 hours, and print out new boarding passes? Not sure how/where I'd do that in japan.

I'm flying there using ANA, and I think the one in US stop is with United Airlines.

I'd appreciate any info on this stuff, because I found that their sites do a terrible job explaining this.

I always (i.e. the two times I've gone and my next trip) fly United/ANA. If I remember correctly, you don't have to do anything special to get to your next flight. If you fly into Canada you might have to briefly go through customs but otherwise there's nothing special about getting your ticket for your second flight.

Edit: Make sure you bring a pen with you.

I'm hoping I can find Daytona USA 3 while I'm there.

I always (i.e. the two times I've gone and my next trip) fly United/ANA. If I remember correctly, you don't have to do anything special to get to your next flight. If you fly into Canada you might have to briefly go through customs but otherwise there's nothing special about getting your ticket for your second flight.

Edit: Make sure you bring a pen with you.

Thanks for the info. Which site do you typically check in with? The United one, or the ANA one?

I won't be stopping anywhere outside the US, or Japan, so I won't need to do canada customs or anything to my knowledge.

Also, what is the procedure for the return flight home? If you wanna PM me anything you know instead of writing it out here, that's cool. Thank you!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Mister Donuts donut pops!

LOoErok.jpg

Thanks for the info. Which site do you typically check in with? The United one, or the ANA one?

I won't be stopping anywhere outside the US, or Japan, so I won't need to do canada customs or anything to my knowledge.

Also, what is the procedure for the return flight home? If you wanna PM me anything you know instead of writing it out here, that's cool. Thank you!

We actually check in at the airport so I'm not sure about online checkins. We do it at the United section if that helps.

The process into and out of Japan is pretty much the same.

They will give you a customs form at some point that you need to fill out that gives your personal information and a rough list of everything you are bringing with you. You can probably lie on this but don't be blatant about it.

When you arrive at customs, it's pretty simple. Just follow directions and lines. Have your passport ready. Be prepared to answer some questions like "Where will you be staying? Where do you live? What is your occupation?" Try not to space out too much because that's suspicious (I tend to do that when I fly internationally). You will also need to be fingerprinted.

If you are like me, you will have an empty suitcase with another suitcase inside of it on your way there. This is weird and will probably result in a little bit of investigation but it's no big deal.

Don't worry about things too much. It will take a lot of time but you'll be fine.

We actually check in at the airport so I'm not sure about online checkins. We do it at the United section if that helps.

The process into and out of Japan is pretty much the same.

They will give you a customs form at some point that you need to fill out that gives your personal information and a rough list of everything you are bringing with you. You can probably lie on this but don't be blatant about it.

When you arrive at customs, it's pretty simple. Just follow directions and lines. Have your passport ready. Be prepared to answer some questions like "Where will you be staying? Where do you live? What is your occupation?" Try not to space out too much because that's suspicious (I tend to do that when I fly internationally). You will also need to be fingerprinted.

If you are like me, you will have an empty suitcase with another suitcase inside of it on your way there. This is weird and will probably result in a little bit of investigation but it's no big deal.

Don't worry about things too much. It will take a lot of time but you'll be fine.

I'm not so much worried, as I'm afraid I'll miss or forget something because of not being familiar with the procedure. Normally I wouldn't hassle with online check ins, but I read somewhere that checking in at the airport, they will charge you for it, where it's usually free online.

Darksol

Hmm...So it's bad homeless person etiquette to ask for food/money in Japan? That certainly complicates things. What's the temp typically like overnight in Tokyo? Would a basic sleeping bag be enough to keep me from freezing my nards off?

Homeless in Japan are largely invisible. They don't talk to people and people don't talk to them. If they do panhandle, I've never encountered it. From what I have seen, a lot of homeless people make income by collecting recycleables from trash on garbage nights. Police largely ignore the homeless provided they aren't making a disturbance.

If you're a foreign visitor asking people for money, you will definitely draw attention.

Lately in Tokyo it's been dropping around 0 degrees Celsius at night, give or take a few degrees either way. That being said, it's been a bit windy this past week or so.

Mister Donuts donut pops!

LOoErok.jpg

These remind me of Timbits. Guess I know where I'm going tonight.

danowat

Banned
I'm not so much worried, as I'm afraid I'll miss or forget something because of not being familiar with the procedure. Normally I wouldn't hassle with online check ins, but I read somewhere that checking in at the airport, they will charge you for it, where it's usually free online.
Depends on the airline, and how the flights have been booked.

If your airlines are a member of the same 'alliance' you just check in once, either online.

If you've booked the whole route as a 'direct' (even though it isn't) you check in once.

Otherwise all legs of the flight will need separate checkins.

we're flying British Airways and JAL, LHR - HEL - NRT, and we just check in online once.

Triteon

Homeless in Japan are largely invisible. They don't talk to people and people don't talk to them. If they do panhandle, I've never encountered it. From what I have seen, a lot of homeless people make income by collecting recycleables from trash on garbage nights. Police largely ignore the homeless provided they aren't making a disturbance.

If you're a foreign visitor asking people for money, you will definitely draw attention.

Lately in Tokyo it's been dropping around 0 degrees Celsius at night, give or take a few degrees either way. That being said, it's been a bit windy this past week or so.

I ran into a few homeless people, mostly I saw them around Shinjuku. There were a number of gathering places, Station especially around the east side, at the crossroads, at the back end of Kabukicho, some with what amounted to cardboard rooms.

No-one asked for money.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Had sukiyaki for dinner just now. Father-in-law always breaks out the wagyu and today it was Matsusaka beef and was bloody amazing. I really need to get one of those tabletop stoves for back home.

Other people than me do this as well then!

What's the temp typically like overnight in Tokyo? Would a basic sleeping bag be enough to keep me from freezing my nards off?

Depends on what time a year you go.

kubus

I remember using some kind of exit in Ikebukuro's Sunshine City and walking right into some kind of homeless camp?? It was so weird. There were maybe 20 homeless people there, and I think some volunteers there were handing out soup and even giving massages... There was also a tent where people could repent or something...? The weirdest/awesomest thing was that they seemed to live together with a bunch of stray cats that had little homes in the bushes surrounding the place. It was super cute, but also really sad. This was about 2 years ago maybe.

Anyway me and my friend felt verryyyy out of place there so we headed back soon after that.

fake edit: I found a picture on my pc of one of the cats that lived there.

fake edit 2: Ok so maybe I should've googled first, but I think I witnessed these two things at the same time haha:

Feeding the Homeless in Ikebukuro

An Outdoor Cat Cafe in Higashi Ikebukuro Central Park

Zoe

We put two flattened duffel bags in our luggage.

keiichi

We put two flattened duffel bags in our luggage.

We're planning to do the same, one the way back duffel will have all our laundry and the real bags will have all our goodies :)

Somewhat nebulous question, are there any must see things to do in Osaka? We'll be there for about two days and just thinking of stopping by Dotonbori, the Castle and Den-den town

Beach

Got tickets from LAX to Tokyo at $600 yesterday for the first week of March for a week stay. Pretty excited! Great thread and I'll be to sure to read and learn from it as much as I can

We're planning to do the same, one the way back duffel will have all our laundry and the real bags will have all our goodies :)

Somewhat nebulous question, are there any must see things to do in Osaka? We'll be there for about two days and just thinking of stopping by Dotonbori, the Castle and Den-den town

The Floating Garden Observatory and the Osaka Aquarium are nice. If you decide to go to the aquarium, try to go during a weekday and not the weekend though (or get a Osaka Kaiyu Ticket, so you don't have to queue to buy tickets.

Universal Studios are cool as well, but that'd take a whole day to explore fully.

I've decided I'm probably going to Japan in September next year. I want to see Tokyo(have already visited Osaka and Kyoto) but not sure where else. , Mount Fuji and Okinawa would be nice but it could be expensive getting there. What city would be best to visit to get the best view of Fuji and is there any recommended hiking trips there that doesn't go all the way up? I feel like I'd struggle with that but I'd like to get some nice views.

Any other nice nature or wildlife things to see that's reachable without a car? I saw UNESCO list Shiretoko, Yakushima, and Shirakami-Sanchi as natural sites. Are they hard to reach?

I'm trying to figure out a good plan to see other parts of Japan after Tokyo but I also won't be there super long. A couple weeks maybe.

Dai Kaiju

How difficult would it be for me to find drinkable water? Are drinking fountains common?

Mount Fuji and Okinawa would be nice but it could be expensive getting there. What city would be best to visit to get the best view of Fuji and is there any recommended hiking trips there that doesn't go all the way up? I feel like I'd struggle with that but I'd like to get some nice views.

Any other nice nature or wildlife things to see that's reachable without a car? I saw UNESCO list Shiretoko, Yakushima, and Shirakami-Sanchi as natural sites. Are they hard to reach?

I'm trying to figure out a good plan to see other parts of Japan after Tokyo but I also won't be there super long. A couple weeks maybe.

You can get good pictures of Mt. Fuji from the nearby Fuji Five Lakes area. There's a hiking path that goes partway around Mt. Fuji from the Fuji Subaru 5th Station. There's buses that run from the Fuji Five Lakes area to Fuji Subaru 5th Station and back.

Shiretoko, Yakushima, and Shirakami-Sanchi are nowhere near Tokyo.

While in Tokyo you could climb Mt. Takao which is easy enough, or you could do a day trip/overnight trip in Hakone, Nikko or Chichibu and do some hiking around there.

The Floating Garden Observatory and the Osaka Aquarium are nice. If you decide to go to the aquarium, try to go during a weekday and not the weekend though (or get a Osaka Kaiyu Ticket, so you don't have to queue to buy tickets.

Universal Studios are cool as well, but that'd take a whole day to explore fully.

When I went to Osaka Aquarium it was just a sea (ha ha, get it?) of students on a field trip. Little yellow caps everywhere. And man can they make some noise. Still enjoyed it.

Priz

If you are like me, you will have an empty suitcase with another suitcase inside of it on your way there.
Bought stuff in Waikiki and needed a second bag... instead of a rolling standard I found this amazing bag for $15. It's essentially this - https://www.etsy.com/listing/488610055/vintage-hawaii-travel-bag-convertible or http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hawaii-Spir...-Expandable-Travel-Luggage-Blue-/221843441795
but black with a stitched picture of the Hawaiian Islands on the side. It folds down almost completely flat when collapsed. On short trips to Vegas or such I use it in it's smallest form for clothes and such for the weekend. When it's fully unzipped it stands about 3-4'? Something like that...

so I bring that along on the bottom of my suitcase along with all my clothes packed into Space Bags (previous trip before Nov one was 11 days and I always pack an extra set of clothes) and at the end of the trip I pack important things that are breakable in the big suitcase and put my clothes inbetween things to keep everything well padded and then the smaller stuff/remaining clothes go into this other bag. tried to cut down on the spending this trip so I had less to bring back, but both bags were relatively full.

Top Bottom