• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

guill

Hi guys thanks for all the info provided, we finally have a date, march 23-april 5. I have a doubt, not sure if anyone can help me.

I know you guys in U.S.A dont need visa to travel, im from Panama and we do have to apply to a single use visa. has anyone been in this position before?

Im asking because part of the information you have to provide when applying to the visa is where are you staying during your whole trip there. We were planning to use Airbnb, but im not sure how is the Airbnb legal ground atm. For this cases, a hotel is maybe a better choice?

Has any of you been in this position?

Thanks in advance

Fireblend

Banned
Time to plan the next trip. :D
Absolutely. The thread title tells no lies.

Hi guys thanks for all the info provided, we finally have a date, march 23-april 5. I have a doubt, not sure if anyone can help me.

I know you guys in U.S.A dont need visa to travel, im from Panama and we do have to apply to a single use visa. has anyone been in this position before?

Im asking because part of the information you have to provide when applying to the visa is where are you staying during your whole trip there. We were planning to use Airbnb, but im not sure how is the Airbnb legal ground atm. For this cases, a hotel is maybe a better choice?

Has any of you been in this position?

Thanks in advance
Are you sure you need a visa? I'm from Costa Rica and we entered Japan without one. Are you sure you're not looking at long-term stay or students' requirements? I guess maybe we got lucky and Costa Rica is somehow exempt, but hey, we're neighbors :p

In any case, I'd just book the Airbnb and provide that address if you do end up needing a visa. Maybe someone will be more informed in that regard, but I did fill the arrival form you get at the airport with my Airbnb address and they didn't bring it up at any point.

Edit: I checked and you do need a visa. Oh well. Hopefully that doesn't prevent you from booking on Airbnb, we've had a great experience with it here so far, though maybe you're in time to book some similarly priced Ryokan :D

guill

Absolutely. The thread title tells no lies.

Are you sure you need a visa? I'm from Costa Rica and we entered Japan without one. Are you sure you're not looking at long-term stay or students' requirements? I guess maybe we got lucky and Costa Rica is somehow exempt, but hey, we're neighbors :p

In any case, I'd just book the Airbnb and provide that address if you do end up needing a visa. Maybe someone will be more informed in that regard, but I did fill the arrival form you get at the airport with my Airbnb address and they didn't bring it up at any point.

Edit: I checked and you do need a visa. Oh well. Hopefully that doesn't prevent you from booking on Airbnb, we've had a great experience with it here so far, though maybe you're in time to book some similarly priced Ryokan :D

Thanks for your answer, yep we do need one, you guys are lucky. Maybe I will try calling the embassy first to see what happens, or perhaps someone know more info that can provide light on this situation.

danowat

Banned
Quick question about train travel.....

one of my journeys for example is from Shinjuku to Kyoto, according to Hyperdia it goes....

SHINJUKU(JR) - JR Yamanote Line(Inner loop) - OSAKI - SHINAGAWA - SHINKANSEN - KYOTO

So JR Yamanote to Shingawa (I am assuming it stops at Osaki?), then change at Shinagawa for the Shinkansen to Kyoto.

I am using JR pass, but would prefer reserved seating, can I book the entire trip at the JR office / machine at Shijuku?, do you just say you want to go to Kyoto using this route and they book the entire trip in one go?

Quick question about train travel.....

one of my journeys for example is from Shinjuku to Kyoto, according to Hyperdia it goes....

SHINJUKU(JR) - JR Yamanote Line(Inner loop) - OSAKI - SHINAGAWA - SHINKANSEN - KYOTO

So JR Yamanote to Shingawa (I am assuming it stops at Osaki?), then change at Shinagawa for the Shinkansen to Kyoto.

I am using JR pass, but would prefer reserved seating, can I book the entire trip at the JR office / machine at Shijuku?, do you just say you want to go to Kyoto using this route and they book the entire trip in one go?

Osaki is one of the terminus stations for the Yamanote Line, so if you're unlucky you might have to change trains. It'll be announced on the train if you need to switch though.

There's no reserved seating on the Yamanote Line, so you can only book the Shinkansen.

danowat

Banned
Osaki is one of the terminus stations for the Yamanote Line, so if you're unlucky you might have to change trains. It'll be announced on the train if you need to switch though.

There's no reserved seating on the Yamanote Line, so you can only book the Shinkansen.

So I need to book the Shinkansen, and just pay for a ticket from the Yamanote then?, can I book the shinkansen at Shinjuku?

So I need to book the Shinkansen, and just pay for a ticket from the Yamanote then?, can I book the shinkansen at Shinjuku?

Don't you have a JR Pass? Just need to show that to get on the JR Yamanote Line. No need for any ticket.

You can book the shinkansen at Shinjuku, yes.

danowat

Banned
Don't you have a JR Pass? Just need to show that to get on the JR Yamanote Line. No need for any ticket.

You can book the shinkansen at Shinjuku, yes.

Yes, I do!, so no need for a ticket on any train (well, JR train) that doesn't need booking with my JR pass, and book the shinkansen, do limited express trains need booking?

Anyone has some good must do's for Ikebukoro?

I love Ikebukuro. I consider it my Japanese home. It's a great place to stay because Ikebukuro Station is a central hub and one of the largest and busiest in Japan while being cheaper than places like Shibuya.

Just outside of the station is a few large department and electronics stores. The biggest draw is Sunshine City which is a labyrinthian shopping complex that has the Pokemon Center, an Aquarium and tons of other things. The whole area around it also has a lot of shopping and things to do as well. There's a pretty good book store southeast of the station. It has a thriving nightlife including "The Bar in which Penguins Are Present" if that's the sort of thing you're into. It's also a center of Otome culture which brings with it an extremely large Animate.

That's cool.

Writing down some stuff after being lazy for over 6 months. But good that I'm picked a great place for our hotel without knowing it if only I didn't make that silly Airport Narita mistake.

Priz

That's cool.

Writing down some stuff after being lazy for over 6 months. But good that I'm picked a great place for our hotel without knowing it if only I didn't make that silly Airport Narita mistake.
Boarded a regular train instead of Narita Express or Keisei Skyliner to get to Tokyo and it took hours? :)

eosos

Banned
Hey all! So I'm planning a trip to Japan with my SO leaving on 4/1.. My question is, would you all think 1 week is enough to have a great trip? Think we'd spend half the time in Tokyo and half in Kyoto, but not set in stone yet. Still in the really early planning stages, but figured I'd start here and read through the thread.

Hey all! So I'm planning a trip to Japan with my SO leaving on 4/1.. My question is, would you all think 1 week is enough to have a great trip? Think we'd spend half the time in Tokyo and half in Kyoto, but not set in stone yet. Still in the really early planning stages, but figured I'd start here and read through the thread.

Better to just stick to Tokyo/Yokohama/Kamakura or Kyoto/Osaka/Nara/Kobe if you're there for just 1 week.

elhaym

Better to just stick to Tokyo/Yokohama/Kamakura or Kyoto/Osaka/Nara/Kobe if you're there for just 1 week.

Agreed, My first trip only had 3.5 days in Kyoto and it wasn't nearly enough to check things out. That said, a week is still plenty of time to have a great trip.

The trick is to not make enough time for things like Kyoto so that you have a reason to go back.

giphy.gif

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Somebody please tell me Mister Donut opens early. Shops opening fairly late is quite annoying, but we need donuts and coffee for breakfast and we're up early thanks to jet lag

Dandte

Somebody please tell me Mister Donut opens early. Shops opening fairly late is quite annoying, but we need donuts and coffee for breakfast and we're up early thanks to jet lag

Frozen Spaghetti Carbonara from 7/11 is the best thing against jet lag or hangover. As for normal breakfast. 7/11 has great coffee and either 7/11, lawson, kmart or whatever is around you has great pastries. Iirc kmart or family...nope can't remeber has great crepes.

Depends on where you're at :p

Some open as early as 6, while others open as late as 10.

Fireblend

Banned
Heading back today. Thanks everyone in this thread for all the help and tips before and during our trip. It was *perfect*, I seriously couldn't have asked for more, am floored about how great this country is, and will return for sure.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can you get fruit cake in Japan? I'd like some proper heavy Christmas cake and all I can find is beautiful light and fluffy sponge cake.

Priz

Can you get fruit cake in Japan? I'd like some proper heavy Christmas cake and all I can find is beautiful light and fluffy sponge cake.
I read once about Takashimaya carrying it -

https://www.takashimaya.co.jp/shinjuku/store_information/floor.html

Aha! Found the article:
http://www.villagevoice.com/restaurants/a-short-history-of-fruitcake-6429393
Confirming the Japanese admiration for fruitcake, the department store Takashimaya offers it year-round. Each gift-wrapped box contains 16 miniature gold ingots of cake (10.77 ounces, $15), and the list of ingredients makes a refreshingly short read, with no numbered dyes, soy lecithin, or mono- and diglycerides. Though this cake depends too much on raisins, the simplicity of the flavor and its slightly bitter edge are both welcome.

ngower

Round trip flights to Tokyo from Nashville are under $800 right now and I have a friend already going who could save me a bit of cash (for now, I'd pay her back) up front. Would result in me deferring enrollment in my program for another semester, which I've been contemplating already. I mean...I need to do this, right?

Hey JP TravelGAF!
So I'm thinking of visiting for 10 days (excluding the days for arrival and departure) from May 13-22. Most likely, 2 of those days would be spent visiting relatives and the rest for the usual touristy stuff.
Thinking of getting the 7-day JR pass, and use normal passes/tickets outside those 7 days.

First-time traveller, so my plans for now are very nebulous and not very detailed.
That said, my preliminary plan is as follows:

5/12: Arrival
5/13-5/16: Tokyo
5/17-5/19: Visit relatives and activate JR pass on the 17th
5/20-5/22: Osaka
5/23: Osaka to NRT departure.

I was initially thinking of shaving a couple days off Tokyo and Osaka so I could go to Kyoto/Nara, but I'm not sure how much time you'd need to make the visit worthwhile.
I've piled all my non-Tokyo days into the 7 days allowed in the JR pass because I'm not sure if I'd really see the benefit in getting the 14-day pass if I just stay for 10 days.
Do you think I should axe Osaka and turn it into Kyoto/Nara?
Is Universal Studios worth it at all? I heard the Osaka aquarium is fantastic.
Any feedback would be very appreciated!

Round trip flights to Tokyo from Nashville are under $800 right now and I have a friend already going who could save me a bit of cash (for now, I'd pay her back) up front. Would result in me deferring enrollment in my program for another semester, which I've been contemplating already. I mean...I need to do this, right?

I mean only you can decide where you are academically but I wouldn't do this unless you're questioning your path through university and need some time to figure things out.

ngower

I mean only you can decide where you are academically but I wouldn't do this unless you're questioning your path through university and need some time to figure things out.

It's a grad program in history that I'm kiiiiiiinda on the fence about. I have been exploring taking a leave of absence regardless, but this trip would take place during the semester and would pretty much require me to take a leave of absence.

It's a grad program in history that I'm kiiiiiiinda on the fence about. I have been exploring taking a leave of absence regardless, but this trip would take place during the semester and would pretty much require me to take a leave of absence.

Well, what are your goals? Academia? Teaching? Having an advanced degree to boost your resume?

When I started graduate school, I wanted to become a professor. As time went on, I realized that academia wasn't for me but continued because I'm an engineer and I figured having a PhD would open a bit more doors than having a bachelors and dropping out of graduate school.

Personally, I think it would have been good for me to have taken a semester off but I'm not sure I would have returned to my program. If anything, I would have looked for a new advisor.

If you're on the fence, taking a semester off might be a good idea.

Also, since you're a history major, you might be able to right a proposal and get your university to pay for part of it if you're focus is in the right area.

I got a ご不在連絡票 from Sagawa and contacting them is kinda challenging/impossible atm. Do you think they might attempt to redeliver the thing tomorrow?

ngower

Well, what are your goals? Academia? Teaching? Having an advanced degree to boost your resume?

When I started graduate school, I wanted to become a professor. As time went on, I realized that academia wasn't for me but continued because I'm an engineer and I figured having a PhD would open a bit more doors than having a bachelors and dropping out of graduate school.

Personally, I think it would have been good for me to have taken a semester off but I'm not sure I would have returned to my program. If anything, I would have looked for a new advisor.

If you're on the fence, taking a semester off might be a good idea.

Also, since you're a history major, you might be able to right a proposal and get your university to pay for part of it if you're focus is in the right area.

My original plan was to take this semester off and work a big boy job, which I'd still do after going to Japan. Then return to school in the fall. And the trip could be done for under $2k EASILY. Probably under $1300 if I were really frugal. So it seems like a solid deal but I dunno.

Hey JP TravelGAF!

So I'm thinking of visiting for 10 days (excluding the days for arrival and departure) from May 13-22. Most likely, 2 of those days would be spent visiting relatives and the rest for the usual touristy stuff.

Thinking of getting the 7-day JR pass, and use normal passes/tickets outside those 7 days.

Well, what cities are you visiting outside of Tokyo and Osaka? None?

I got a ご不在連絡票 from Sagawa and contacting them is kinda challenging/impossible atm. Do you think they might attempt to redeliver the thing tomorrow?

Seems more like a question for the other thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=884540

Well, what cities are you visiting outside of Tokyo and Osaka? None?

I'm lumping in Yokohama (and maybe Kamakura) with my Tokyo days, and I'm visiting Nagoya with my relatives.
Originally, I was going to Kyoto/Nara instead of Osaka, but I'm not sure if I'll have enough time to make it worth it.

I'm lumping in Yokohama (and maybe Kamakura) with my Tokyo days, and I'm visiting Nagoya with my relatives.
Originally, I was going to Kyoto/Nara instead of Osaka, but I'm not sure if I'll have enough time to make it worth it.

In that case you should get the 7 day JR Pass since you're also going to Nagoya.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Apple really needs to improve data handling over metered connections. I had to go into 4 iPads and 2 iPhones to turn off auto app updates etc because the iOS device sees wifi and goes to town, even if you're using a mifi device

But the one thing I can work out is iCloud photos. They're taking up a huge amount of bandwidth uploading to iCloud and I'd happily wait until we get home to do that - but if I try and turn off iCloud photos the phone gives me some pretty drastic sounding options like deleting all my photos or downloading everything from iCloud

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Had a fantastic Christmas Eve meal at the ninja restaurant in Akasaka. Our waitress was dressed as a kunoichi and popped out of a trapdoor when we were being welcomed for our reservation. You get led down long winding paths and into a little private room with sliding doors and 'rock' walls.

Food was great - 10 courses. Highlights for me were the soup which she made at our table from raw vegetables and pork and adding stock and a really hot stone to get it bubbling away, and the steak which wasn't large but was super tender.

They also lay on a 'master ninja' doing ninja magic which apparently means card tricks. He was really good - swapped a signed card into a clip he'd previously put on the table (you knew what he was going to do but still really impressive at close quarters)

Expensive (¥35,000 for four of us) but worth it as a one-off experience.

Top Bottom