• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

danowat

Banned
Subways have announcements and signs in English.

I'd say in Tokyo maybe 50% of restaurants have menus in English, but pretty much all have pictures.

So just point at what you want if it becomes an issue!

Some cultures don't like being asked if they speak English straight off the bat, is Japan like that?, it'll be obvious to them that I am not Japanese, so they'll have a heads up that I might not!

Fritz

Hey JapanGAF, my wife and I are finally, after decades of wanting to, travelling to Japan next May, we've booked flights and tentatively booked hotels at each destination, but I wanted to see if I could get some feedback on what I plan to do.
Have I missed anything?, or are there any suggestions that someone would give?, bare in mind we are (cough) middle aged!

Land Narita 9th May, N'ex transfer to Sunroute plaza Shinjuku.

10th May

A Day in Modern Tokyo

11th May

Kamakura

12th May

Traditional Tokyo East Side

13th May

Free day

14th May

Mount Fuji, Lake Kawaguchiko

15th May

Hama rikyu gardens & Imperial place

16th May

Shinkansen to Kyoto

17th May

Shrines & Fushimi Inari Taisha

18th May

Free day

19th May

Temples, Bamboo forest, Kyoto imperial palace

20th May

Shinkansen to Hiroshima

21th May

Miyajima

22nd May

Atomic bomb dome, Peace Museum, Park, Hiroshima Castle

23rd May

Free day

24th May

Shinkansen to Tokyo

25th May

Fly out

Sounds pretty good to me. Just day 1 and 3 sound incredibly unspecific. I don't know whether you indeed have but you should at least nail it down to one quarter or one sight you want to explore. Modern Tokyo could easily be combined with shopping in Harajuku and for traditional eastern Tokyo just Asakusa seems to be perfect.

If you really wanna look for geeky stuff it's hard to miss Akahibara, but it's an absolute chore for your wife if it's not her thing.

danowat

Banned
Sounds pretty good to me. Just day 1 and 3 sound incredibly unspecific. I don't know whether you indeed have but you should at least nail it down to one quarter or one sight you want to explore. Modern Tokyo could easily be combined with shopping in Harajuku and for traditional eastern Tokyo just Asakusa seems to be perfect.

If you really wanna look for geeky stuff it's hard to miss Akahibara, but it's an absolute chore for your wife if it's not her thing.

I wanted to keep it brief for clarity reasons, but this is the setup for those days in a bit more detail, the order isn't right at the moment.

A Day in Modern Tokyo

Harajuku
Meiji-jingu Shrine
Nezu Museum & Garden
Shibuya
Roppongi & Hills complex

Would Akhibara fit in there somewhere?

Senso-ji Templ
Asakusa-jinja Shrine
Ueno park and the museums

Fritz

I wanted to keep it brief for clarity reasons, but this is the setup for those days in a bit more detail, the order isn't right at the moment.

A Day in Modern Tokyo

Harajuku
Meiji-jingu Shrine
Nezu Museum & Garden
Shibuya
Roppongi & Hills complex

Senso-ji Templ
Asakusa-jinja Shrine
Ueno park and the museums

Jepp, sounds perfect actually. A tad crowded probably depending on how much time you wanna spend. I'ld ditch akiba frankly but it would fit much better into old Tokyo (breaking the theme though :)). Surely others can share their thoughts here.

I'ld fucking love day 1 (without Shibuya)!

Meiji is my favourite place in Tokyo. I'd go there early to avoid the crowds and have perfect light. I don't know when the temple precincts open though.

afterwards stroll through Harajuku for a little shopping (2nd hand galore at Chicago, Flamingo, Ragtag etc) and lunch. Then walk down Omotesando and check out Nezu. Have a coffee and cake at the cafe with a nice view of the garden. In the evening go to Roppongi Hills (I wouldnt bother with greater Roppongi), check out the Mori Art Museum if you're keen and don't miss out on the great view of Tokyo.

Perfect! Take me with you.

danowat

Banned
Meiji is my favourite place in Tokyo. I'd go there early to avoid the crowds and have perfect lighting. I don't know when the temple precincts open though.

afterwards stroll through Harajuku for a little shopping (2nd hand galore at Chicago, Flamingo, Ragtag etc) and lunch. Then walk down Omotesando and check out Nezu. Have a coffee and cake in the Cafe with a view of the garden. In the evening go to Roppongi Hills (I wouldnt bother with greater Roppongi), check out the Mori Art Museum if you're keen and don't miss out on the great view of Tokyo.

Sounds amazing, can't wait!!!.

Perfect! Take me with you.

Flights are hella expensive, I had to sell a kidney for just two of us so I'll have to let you down this time ;)

Fritz

Ha!

This really has my mind wandering now. For geeky stuff just check out Kiddy Land on Omotesando.

For lunch I'ld recommend the Tonkatsu at this place

Fritz

Ton - Pork?, Katsu - Fried?

As in Katsu curry?

Yeah, no curry though

5552411334_fa8ebaa3f1_z.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ton - Pork?, Katsu - Fried?

As in Katsu curry?

Cook loads of tonkatsu

Day 1 - tonkatsu with rice and shredded cabbage and tonkatsu sauce
Day 2- katsu curry time
Day 3 - tonkatsu sandwiches with shredded cabbage and tonkatsu sauce

It's the gift that keeps on giving

As for your trip - you have a free day after Hiroshima - try to get over to itsukushima island - the shrine there is great and they have deer wandering around.

And take a spare suitcase to bring back lots of food (we always bring back a years supply of curry and peperoncino amongst others)

Osaka Castle really is amazing to see and walk through.

Since he's going to Hiroshima and back it'd be better to visit Himeji Castle though ;P

A Day in Modern Tokyo

Possibly better to do Akihabara at the end of your Tokyo East Side day depending on how much time you're spending at the museum since it's closer to those places.

Just came back from my last minute, 6 day vacation to Tokyo. Tried @home maid cafe, $100 + Kobe Beef, got to visit a family friend owned filipino hostess bar, Gundam statue, Robot Restauraunt. All in all I think 6 days for myself, strickly in the Tokyo area was pretty good. Also, I used Pupuru pocket wifi and it worked great throughout. Paired with Google Maps App I never got lost. I used the Pasmo card for all my Subway trips.

Kobe Beef from Gyuan
https://www.instagram.com/p/BN5uVcFgYa5/

@home Cafe
20161214_162223_zpsiow0wx98_edit_1481768584973_zpsbyigyv7f.jpg

Blasphemy

Speaking of katsu, I wish more places in Japan offered chicken katsu. I'm not a huge fan of pork.

I mean... you could just bring some katsu sauce into a KFC if your craving it that much haha. Actually don't think I've had chicken katsu, the area I live in is known for its pork so... its pig every week here.

So just point at what you want if it becomes an issue!

Some cultures don't like being asked if they speak English straight off the bat, is Japan like that?, it'll be obvious to them that I am not Japanese, so they'll have a heads up that I might not!

Nah you'll be fine. Go ahead and ask. More often than not if you look foreign/have a touristy look to you they will ask in the best English they can. Especially the areas you plan on visiting. They may give their best Japanese in very simple terms. You should be 200% fine with no Japanese though. Never hurts to learn a few phrases though.

Thanks for that, very helpful.

Osaka sounds interesting, I might see if I can fit that on the free day while we are in Kyoto, but I have got to be mindful of doing too much, as you say, it is a holiday after all!

Good tip about the food, we've already decided that we are going to pick up Okiben for the Shinkansen trips, I understand these are also (or can be) specific for the area?.

One thing that does concern us slightly, is the possible language barrier, we are planning to learn a few phrases and such to try and get by, but the Kanji style of writing is a barrier, how easy is it to become stuck due to the language barrier?, do most places have an English menu?, I see some places you order food on a machine, can that be an issue for English speakers?

At all the major stations (there are a few random ones that are just platforms in the middle of nowhere lol) there are gift shops and stands where you can buy omiage (gifts) that "represent" that area. They are good for snacks and lunches before getting on the train since you can take them on. Tip would be to take a gander as your walking by them when you arrive to see what the area is famous for, and maybe buy some on the way to your next location if there was something that was good you tried. These are mostly sweets, small crackers, or what not and some instant versions of things like ramen.

As for language barrier, unless you are taking the normal city busses and trains, which you might, there should not be a problem. Especially in bigger cities. Some busses don't have the romaji version of the destination on them so you will either have to know or match the kanji. Good thing is most go to one central location. Trains are a bit easier but the map of tokyo can be especially confusing. Most of these have English help though. Should be more than ok.

For food, it's a toss up. Most places that are popular/easy for non locals to find will have an English menu or be able to recommend their most popular item if its not marked. Ordering food is probably going to be the most easy part of the trip with no Japanese, everyone understands why you came if you enter a restaurant lol. Just don't be afraid to ask for help from the staff, language barrier or not.

In terms of the places with a vending machine, these are the easiest!... but also the most difficult sometimes. 99% of the time you just put your money in, select your items, and give the staff the ticket that comes out. Thats all. Usually the top left most items are the specialty or standard items. Say its a ramen shop, the top row will be your basic ramens, with the type or quantity changing as you move right. If you see the same characters but one is more expensive, generally means the more expensive one is just a larger size. Below is usually extra sides. Boiled egg, french fries and so on. Also drinks. More often than not there is a staffer to help everyone and take ticket orders as they come.

Then again, some places simply have pictures on the vending machine and your on easy street. Keep the questions coming if you got um!

danowat

Banned
Awesome information, many thanks.

I take it that, at least for a foreigner, Japan is a cash society?, I hear foreign cards aren't widely accepted?

I am sure I'll have some more questions in the run up to us leaving for Japan, so I'll be sure to ask.

I take it that, at least for a foreigner, Japan is a cash society?, I hear foreign cards aren't widely accepted?

Foreign cards aren't widely accepted by ATMs (You can withdraw money in all post office and 7-11 ATMs though + a good amount of Lawson and Family Mart ATMs, but not all yet).

In stores that accept Visa or Mastercard or whatever, cards issued in any country should work. But a lot of places don't accept credit cards at all, so that's why you should use cash.

danowat

Banned
Foreign cards aren't widely accepted by ATMs (You can withdraw money in all post office and 7-11 ATMs though + a good amount of Lawson and Family Mart ATMs, but not all yet).

In stores that accept Visa or Mastercard or whatever, cards issued in any country should work. But a lot of places don't accept credit cards at all, so that's why you should use cash.

We'll bring currency then, cheers.

Just another quick Q.......

My wife is a bit particular about what to wear, she is quite particular about being too hot or too cold!, in May, what are we likely to see weather wise in Tokyo, Kyoto and Hiroshima?

I don't like relying on average weather temps from websites, and prefer to hear about "on the ground" experiences.

My wife is a bit particular about what to wear, she is quite particular about being too hot or too cold!, in May, what are we likely to see weather wise in Tokyo, Kyoto and Hiroshima?

Anything from shorts weather during the day to cold enough to wear a light jacked if you're staying out particularly late or do stuff really early, and depending on what you're doing near Mount Fuji it might be slightly colder than any other place you're visiting.

Might get some days of rain if you're unlucky as well.

danowat

Banned
Anything from shorts weather during the day to cold enough to wear a light jacked if you're staying out particularly late or do stuff really early, and depending on what you're doing near Mount Fuji it might be slightly colder than any other place you're visiting.

Might get some days of rain if you're unlucky as well.

We're trying to pack light(ish) so we don't have to lug too many cases about on the train, in the Fuji area, we'll probably just go to Lake Kawaguchiko, the ropeway etc, is there any point going to Subaru 5th station if you aren't climbing the mountain?

We're trying to pack light(ish) so we don't have to lug too many cases about on the train, in the Fuji area, we'll probably just go to Lake Kawaguchiko, the ropeway etc, is there any point going to Subaru 5th station if you aren't climbing the mountain?

Well, there's a hiking trail there and some souvenir shops and a shrine, but you could check out similar stuff around Lake Kawaguchiko as well, so I'd say skip it :p

So I will be in Tokyo next week and need help on Jr Rail pass please. I'll be going Tokyo - Osaka - Kyoto - Tokyo! Just confirming I should get the West Jr Pass?

danowat

Banned
Well, there's a hiking trail there and some souvenir shops and a shrine, but you could check out similar stuff around Lake Kawaguchiko as well, so I'd say skip it :p

Cheers, we'll stick to the Lake then, hopefully the weather will be kind enough to afford us a good view of Mt Fuji.

So I will be in Tokyo next week and need help on Jr Rail pass please. I'll be going Tokyo - Osaka - Kyoto - Tokyo! Just confirming I should get the West Jr Pass?

What's your detailed itinerary? If you're moving between Tokyo and Kansai you should possibly get the JR Pass and not any of the JR West Passes.

Porcile

14 days is the max validity period for the NEX round trip ticket, right? Going back home from Japan for Christmas but i'm away for 16 days. So i guess i'm paying for two single tickets? I don't want to YCAT bus it again. It's cheaper but way less convenient for me.

14 days is the max validity period for the NEX round trip ticket, right? Going back home from Japan for Christmas but i'm away for 16 days. So i guess i'm paying for two single tickets? I don't want to YCAT bus it again. It's cheaper but way less convenient for me.

Yes, and it can be only bought at Narita Airport, so if you're leaving Japan and then coming back again you can't really use it anyway :p

danowat

Banned
Anyone know of a decent beginners guide to onsen?

We've partaken in hot springs in Iceland, and quite fancy doing some in Japan, although there seems to be a lot more rules, separate sex bathing, no tattoos (I have quite a large one on my upper arm), nude bathing etc etc.

danowat

Banned
Thanks, so to expand on that.

There are NO mixed sex Onsen at all in Japan?

I could probably bandage my tattoo, but that brings another question, if I wear a short sleeved shirt, and it's generally visible in public is that likely to cause offense?

Thanks, so to expand on that.

There are NO mixed sex Onsen at all in Japan?

I could probably bandage my tattoo, but that brings another question, if I wear a short sleeved shirt, and it's generally visible in public is that likely to cause offense?

There are mixed sex onsens, but they're getting rarer:
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/20...tradition-mixed-bathing-may-verge-extinction/

If you could be mistaken for a native, then you might get some problems with tattoos. If you in no way could be mistaken for a native and also only mostly visit tourist places then not likely :p

danowat

Banned
There are mixed sex onsens, but they're getting rarer:
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/20...tradition-mixed-bathing-may-verge-extinction/

If you could be mistaken for a native, then you might get some problems with tattoos. If you in no way could be mistaken for a native and also only mostly visit tourist places then not likely :p

Thanks for that.

There is no way I could be mistaken for a native, unless there are many native 6ft 3in tall, 13 stone white guys in Japan ;)

Porcile

What about real manly body hair if you know what I mean? I don't want to clog up the volcanic shaft or whatever. Such things are rarely discussed. There are dozens of us!

Fireblend

Banned
If I wanted to go watch Rogue One at a good theater sometime in the next 4 days in Tokyo, what's the best location/format I should look for, how expensive is it gonna be, and how easy is it to reserve seats? :p

Zatoth

If I wanted to go watch Rogue One at a good theater sometime in the next 4 days in Tokyo, what's the best location/format I should look for, how expensive is it gonna be, and how easy is it to reserve seats? :p

I went to Wald9(?) in Shinjuku and another one in Odaiba. Near Joypolis. I think. Both were fine.

Be sure to grab some French fries. (They don't serve them in cinemas in my country)

Seems like you are gonna take a lot of time to do what you want and most importantly take time to just have free time to do whatever you want. (it is a vacation after all)

What kind of things are you interested in? Are you wanting to do more shopping or maybe simply sight seeing, more temples/samurai history stuff instead of modern attractions and things?

I would recommend making time for:

Osaka! My favorite city. Osaka is known for being all hustle and bustle but its got some interesting history stuff. Actually only a 45ish minute train ride(not shinkansen) from Kyoto. Osaka Castle really is amazing to see and walk through. Also the Koffun burial mounds are interesting since most people don't know they are there in such a huge city.

Also seems like you want to take your time in most of these places (personally feel like you could explore Tokyo in a few days and be done with it but I personally don't like it that much haha)

For Kyoto I would say do one of those cheesy rickshaw rides complete with commemorative photos with your wife haha. They come out pretty good, can even dress up in Yukata and Kimono.

Oh and look up local foods of the places your visiting. Even though the foods can be found everywhere, certian locations are famous for their versions or the original version of something. Especially Ramen, there are a million types of ramen to try and they are all mostly delicious. Same for things like sushi, takoyaki, okonomiaki, and so on.

Totally agree with this. Use it as a hub city since shin-osaka station goes so many places.

Also go to Nara if you love animals.

reriel

Tokyo's weather in May (from 11 to 22) ? basically I need to know if I can rely on just short sleeves or maybe long sleeves are still needed.

Fireblend

Banned
As someone who hates heights, this funicular I'm riding down in Miyajima is the stuff of nightmares. Made it to the top of the mountain though!

Top Bottom