• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Zatoth

I always thought that you had to leave your items in the bag until you left if you buy duty-free but it looks like that's only for consumable goods. So, if I buy a nice camera on my first day there from a place that does duty-free, I can still use it while I'm there?

Friend bought a keyboard duty-free in Akiba. They did not put it in a bag or something like that. But they put something in his passport. Probably some kind of receipt for the customs when arriving back home.

Trying to figure out if I'm eligible to do tax free shopping here... Anyone have a clue?

I got a scholarship to study in Japan for a year and I'm there now since September. My visa category is "(G) AS STUDENT" and it's eligible for a year. I'm going back to my home country on vacation next week for about a month.

Tax free requirements as per the website:

Visitors with a temporary stay status are eligible for
tax-free shopping.
*Japanese citizens are not eligible.
*Not eligible if you are working in Japan.
*Not eligible if staying in Japan more than six months.

I'm kinda confused by a few things. First of all "temporary stay status". I guess I'm staying a year, so I meet this requirement? Next, "Not eligible if staying in Japan more than six months". Normally this would mean I'm out, but I'm not sure since they word it differently in some places. For example, on this official Japan Tax Free website, they say: "Only foreign visitors who have temporarily stayed in Japan for less than 6 months since entering Japan." Going by this description, I would be ok.

Since I'm going back to my country within 6 months of entering Japan, does that mean I can get the tax free applied? I want to buy a Apple Watch 2, so I would save a huge load of money if I could get it tax free. Unfortunately I can't make calls here and the nearest Apple Store is more than an hour away so it's not really like I can drop by and ask... :(

edit: Oh wait, does the "Temporary stay status" mean the white sticker in your passport has to say "Status: Temporary visitor"? Because mine says "Status: Student"... so I don't apply :(...?

From my experience as a student over there, You Don't qualify for anything tax free.

kubus

Depends on the store. In some you have to go to the tax free counter with your receipt after paying and you get money back in cash.

And it seems to differ between different stores who can apply for tax free as well since it seems to be unclear. Bic doesn't mention that some Japanese nationals can get tax free for example:
http://www.biccamera.co.jp.e.lj.hp.transer.com/service/store/taxfree/index.html
Oh I don't mind paying up front and then going to some counter to get it back. I meant more like, for example in my country, you pay for everything and then at the airport you apply for the tax free and get your money back. That shit sucks, because you'll never know if you will actually get your money back in case the store employee fucked up the receipt or something. I had to fill in dozens of tax free receipts when I worked in retail and I was always scared I'd screw it up and these people wouldn't be able to get their tax back at the airport, lol.

I looked it up for Apple Store, and it seems they take care of the tax free procedures at the spot and you don't pay for it at all. So basically I need to fool them into thinking I'm eligible for tax free xD. They seem to be very strict though. I'm afraid I can't apply for tax free since I'm a student, but I'll try anyway.

I always thought that you had to leave your items in the bag until you left if you buy duty-free but it looks like that's only for consumable goods. So, if I buy a nice camera on my first day there from a place that does duty-free, I can still use it while I'm there?

Basically the rule says: anything you pay tax free, you can't use before you leave the country. In reality though, there's nothing or no one who will stop you from doing so. When you buy something tax free, the items will be either sealed or not, depending on what you bought, and they attach some documents to your passport. You're then supposed to take all the stuff you bought with you to the customs officer (I think) at the airport, show him the stuff and hand over the documents.

In reality, no one will care if you give them the documents or not and even if you do, they won't ask to see what you bought. It makes sense, because before you can get there you have to check in your luggage and if you bought a 18" MacBook and 200 packs of Pocky, there's no way you can fit all of that in your carry on luggage. So there's no way for them to really check.

I've even heard stories of the customs office being unmanned, so you are actually unable to hand over the documents in your passport. And there are people who simply forgot to do it or didn't know, and they didn't get penalized.

So feel free to do whatever you want with your items, though keep in mind that officially you aren't supposed to unseal them and they have the right to inspect your stuff.

(Disclaimer: This is all based on hours of googling about tax free shopping in Japan to get answers to the question I posted above, I don't have any personal experience with tax free shopping :p. But seriously, I haven't read a single post saying someone actually had to show the items to the customs officer)

From my experience as a student over there, You Don't qualify for anything tax free.
Bummer :(. Thanks for chiming in!

JulianImp

In both trips I only had to give the slips to a guy at the tax free counter. The first time around I did bring the boxes with me and everything, but the second time I didn't even bother to do that since it looks like they don't even check that kind of stuff.

KillGore

So guys, recommend me some places to go? I'm already going to Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto and Hiroshima. I was thinking of Nagoya but my wife read online that it is somewhat boring for tourists? As in, there's not a lot to do. What other places do you recommend? Nara? Hakone?

Recommend me something Mike!

Rydeen

I was thinking of Nagoya but my wife read online that it is somewhat boring for tourists? As in, there's not a lot to do.

I went to Nagoya and personally I enjoyed it. People there are very friendly and are interested in practicing their English speaking skills on you, there's also a decent-sized network of Western expats living there for work. Nagoya Castle is a nice park and museum inside the main donjon. Also there's Oosu which is Nagoya's version of Akihabara. It's not as large but what stores are there tend to have things way cheaper than what they go for in Akihabara, even at the same chains like Mandarake and Super Potato.

I'd recommend spending at most three days there and you'll have a good time. It's a quieter, smaller city than Tokyo or Kyoto, but it isn't as overwhelming and crowded, plenty of places to stop and enjoy yourself. It gives you some perspective to go to a smaller city like Nagoya than going to Tokyo, kind of like coming to the U.S. and only going to New York and just thinking that's how cities are in America.

KillGore

Ok, thank you guys! I'll also check Sapporo out.

By the way

I'm thinking of staying in Osaka 3 days and Kyoto 3 days. Is that too little? Too much?

Whatever you do, don't go to Disneyland during this period ;p

You'll survive, but you'd better bring/buy a face towel so you can wipe sweat from your face all the time.

Depending on where you're staying (like in an AirBnB place or hostel) you could take a shower and then be sweating again even before you've dried off.

Of course, Japan is still pretty nice...

Yikes! Do you think we will be barely scathing by in the heat during the first week of June if i were to plan a trip to Tokyo Disney?

Zatoth

By the way

I'm thinking of staying in Osaka 3 days and Kyoto 3 days. Is that too little? Too much?

Can be too much or to little. Really depends what you want to do. There are also a lot of side trips possible, if you don't want to stay only in Kyoto/Osaka the whole time.

If you have a JR Pass I would recommend to stay all the time at the same place. You can reach Osaka from Kyoto quite fast and saves you the trouble of carrying your luggage around twice.

By the way

In my personal opinion there's much more to do in Osaka than Kyoto, but as Zatoth mentioned, they are not far away from each other and if you do have a JR-Pass the train ride is short.

How bout Hokkaido?

Go check out Sapporo, the flower fields in Furano, the canals and glass works in Otaru, the hell valley and hot springs of Noboribetsu, the fort and view from Mt. Hakodate in Hakodate.

I'm still unsure what to think of Hakodate. It felt very "sleepy" and like there's not too much to do besides climbing up Mt. Hakodate and enjoying the view.
We did a trip from Tokyo to Sapporo, stopped in Sendai and Hakodate inbetween. And I think Sendai is definetly worth a stay of a couple days.

KillGore

Okay, thanks! So you think 3 days in Kyoto is too much?

Another question (sorry for all the questions!), I'm noticing that travelling through the air is fairly cheap. I can go from Fukuoka to Sapporo via plane (Skymark) for around $90 and Sapporo to Tokyo (Jetstar) for around $50. What are your thoughts on this? Considering these aren't major airlines, would someone with very basic Japanese be able to use it? Has anyone done so here?

danowat

Banned
For anyone who's been to them, which out of the following three is the better place to visit?

Square Enix Artnia Shinjuku, Square Enix Cafe Akhibara or Gundam Cafe Akhibara?

Another question (sorry for all the questions!), I'm noticing that travelling through the air is fairly cheap. I can go from Fukuoka to Sapporo via plane (Skymark) for around $90 and Sapporo to Tokyo (Jetstar) for around $50. What are your thoughts on this? Considering these aren't major airlines, would someone with very basic Japanese be able to use it? Has anyone done so here?

How many days in Kyoto depends on how much you love shrines and temples ;p

But seriously, there's other stuff like gion, nishiki market, nijo castle, the imperial palace, the railway museum, arashiyama with the monkey park and bamboo groves and the sagano scenic railway. If you're more about nightlife and stuff there's less of that though.

You'll be fine taking the airlines. The staff usually understand and speak English, especially the ground crew. The only problem is if you're tall, cause they got similar seat pitch as sprint if you're from the US and easyjet in EU.

WoodWERD

So I'm headed for a trip Feb 5-19, and I was planning on using my 2-week JR to get from Narita to Tokyo. Am I understanding right that if I use the pass the evening of the 5th, that's going to leave me short 1 day? Is it cheaper/more convenient to wait until the 6th to start the pass so I have less hassle getting to the airport on the 19th?

Kyoto is definitely a nice place but like anywhere, depends what you want to do.

As for flying, domestically here its fairly cheap, also depends on the time of year, and sales. They can get as low as $25 to go to Osaka for us on a sale. The smaller airlines are fine. You won't need any Japanese unless you want something specific. Getting to, on, and off your plane is the same anywhere else lol. Most of their ticket sites have English, at least Peach Air and Jetstar do.

I may have the opportunity to go to a conference in Japan from July 30 to August 4 and if it goes through, I would like to stay there for another two weeks to travel the country. Do you guys think it's too hot and humid during that time of the year to travel comfortably? Looking at some charts, the average daytime temperature in August is around 31 C (88 F) in large parts of the country. That's pretty rough and significantly higher than where I live (Austria).

Also, the last week would overlap with Obon week and from what I've read, travel activity is very high during that week and in August in general due to summer holidays. Does anyone have experience on how bad it actually is? Like acceptably busy or I-want-to-die busy?

It should be fine, not sure why people complain about the heat so much, though I'm from a place with the exact same weather so it was not change for me.

Traveling during major holidays like Obon should be fine. Expect larger than usual crowds and travelers but I barely noticed a difference personally. Lots of seasonal things will pop up everywhere you go as well which is fun. Just depends where you are trying to go during that week honestly. If your driving then yeah its pretty crowded. I went to a 'secluded' beach camping spot with friends for Obon last year and it was packed lol, but not in a bad way.

exhume

For anyone who's been to them, which out of the following three is the better place to visit?

Square Enix Artnia Shinjuku, Square Enix Cafe Akhibara or Gundam Cafe Akhibara?

I visited Artnia and it was cool, but mostly for the gift store and not really the food. My hotel was around the corner from it, dunno if I'd go out of my way to visit it unless you really want to buy FF/DQ merch.

The SE cafe in Akihabara changes themes monthly I believe, so maybe check that there's something on that interests you before going :)
Here's the link that shows you what theme is currently running: http://www.jp.square-enix.com/cafe/pc/index.php

So I'm headed for a trip Feb 5-19, and I was planning on using my 2-week JR to get from Narita to Tokyo. Am I understanding right that if I use the pass the evening of the 5th, that's going to leave me short 1 day? Is it cheaper/more convenient to wait until the 6th to start the pass so I have less hassle getting to the airport on the 19th?

The JR-Pass is valid from that day when you activate it.
In my opinion it's less stressful to skip the JR-office at Narita, because hundreds of people activate their passes there, too.
Buy a one way standard ticket to your desired train station and activate the JR-Pass the following day, leaving you the full 14 days left.

danowat

Banned
I visited Artnia and it was cool, but mostly for the gift store and not really the food. My hotel was around the corner from it, dunno if I'd go out of my way to visit it unless you really want to buy FF/DQ merch.

The SE cafe in Akihabara changes themes monthly I believe, so maybe check that there's something on that interests you before going :)
Here's the link that shows you what theme is currently running: http://www.jp.square-enix.com/cafe/pc/index.php

Artnia is about a 10min walk from our hotel, so might be worth a look.

Didn't realise the SE cafe changes themes, I'll keep an eye on it!

Thanks

WoodWERD

The JR-Pass is valid from that day when you activate it.
In my opinion it's less stressful to skip the JR-office at Narita, because hundreds of people activate their passes there, too.
Buy a one way standard ticket to your desired train station and activate the JR-Pass the following day, leaving you the full 14 days left.

Appreciate the advice.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
It should be fine, not sure why people complain about the heat so much, though I'm from a place with the exact same weather so it was not change for me.

Traveling during major holidays like Obon should be fine. Expect larger than usual crowds and travelers but I barely noticed a difference personally. Lots of seasonal things will pop up everywhere you go as well which is fun. Just depends where you are trying to go during that week honestly. If your driving then yeah its pretty crowded. I went to a 'secluded' beach camping spot with friends for Obon last year and it was packed lol, but not in a bad way.

Thanks for the info. I hope you're right and it won't be that bad.

KiN0

I'm going to be in Japan for about 18 days, and I was considering taking a trip down to miyajima. Is it worth it to stay on the island for a night or is it really more of a day trip kind of thing?

Also, as a general question, would you guys recommend bringing a laptop or will my phone be enough to get by?

cj_iwakura

I'm going to be in Japan for about 18 days, and I was considering taking a trip down to miyajima. Is it worth it to stay on the island for a night or is it really more of a day trip kind of thing?

Also, as a general question, would you guys recommend bringing a laptop or will my phone be enough to get by?

A phone is plenty, then again you'll be there for a lot longer than I was.

Depends on what you want to do.
I personally only carried my iPhone or camera with me.
I went from 15-25 days and never needed a laptop.

Having stayed there last summer, I'd say that it's worth it if you have money to spend on a ryokan style experience else I think you can see a lot of it in a day. Beautiful place.

KiN0

Thanks for all the responses!

We wanted to stay at a ryokan for this trip, so we'll look for one on miyajima. I think I'll also leave my laptop behind since it's just one less thing to worry about.

KiN0

Sorry for the double post, but I'm having some trouble choosing a location to stay in Tokyo and any suggestions would be helpful at this point.

My cousin and I don't have many specific things in mind; but we basically want to experience the nightlife and do sightseeing and shopping. Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

KillGore

So guys, what do you think about Fukuoka? Is it worth visiting? One last thing, what about going to Nagano, specifically for Matsumoto Castle? Is it worth the detour? I went to see Himeji castle and it was amazing. Read that Matsumoto was the second best castle in Japan. Thoughts?

Fireblend

Banned
Slightly off topic, but I tried my hand at making chicken katsu curry today with the S&B Golden Curry box I brought from Japan...

I should have brought more boxes, I felt transported back to CoCo Ichibanya for a minute lol. I have some friends going to Japan in a couple of months, so I know what I'll be asking for :D

co5L918.jpg

So guys, what do you think about Fukuoka? Is it worth visiting?

Best city easily.

It's my favorite anyway. Big enough to always have stuff to do, see, and wander in. Small enough that everyone is super chill, friendly, and wanting to do all kinds of things like talk to random strangers, go for drinks, party, and what not. It's the biggest city near me, but most people agree that Fukuoka is pretty awesome depending on what you want to do.

There are some interesting things in the area (not sure about the historical stuff, but there is Dazaifu temple) and a few other attractions. Good food too. Basically the Ramen capital of Japan. All kinds of the best quality. A place called Ramen stadium there is like 10 of the most famous shops in the city represented on one floor. It's great.

Depending on what you want to do like I said. Best people for sure though. Everyone I've met there or is from there are some of my favorites lol. When I need a break from my city and people I go there haha.

Slightly off topic, but I tried my hand at making chicken katsu curry today with the S&B Golden Curry box I brought from Japan...

I should have brought more boxes, I felt transported back to CoCo Ichibanya for a minute lol. I have some friends going to Japan in a couple of months, so I know what I'll be asking for :D

They sell curry in the States, or you can just order some from Amazon.

Zoe

Yeah, you can find the major brands in Asian grocery stores.

However, you should try to get your friend to bring back some Cocoichiban branded curry blocks! To my knowledge, they're only sold in the restaurants.

Zatoth

I'm In Costa Rica, so getting or ordering this stuff online isn't that easy :p

I have the same problem here. Asian supermarket has some. But expensive compared to the prices in Japan. That's why I also always bring a lot back home from Japan.

This time I also bought some curry powder. Found some recipes online but was not able to find the right mix here. Will try to make my own curry with the powder, once I am through with the pre-made one.

kubus

Update/heads-up on the tax free shopping story from a few days earlier:

I went to the Apple Store in Omotesando today and there was no issue getting tax free even with my Student visa! Really happy :)

Update/heads-up on the tax free shopping story from a few days earlier:

I went to the Apple Store in Omotesando today and there was no issue getting tax free even with my Student visa! Really happy :)

Nice. Now try some other stores too and see if it doesn't work there ;P

ys45

Hey guys ,

So if everything goes well I am planning to go back to Japan in July, I will stay only one week.

I will stay in Tokyo during that week so my question is, does JR pass is necessary if I plan to walk a lot and use maybe a maximum of 2 times a day train/subway to get around ?

Hey guys ,

So if everything goes well I am planning to go back to Japan in July, I will stay only one week.

I will stay in Tokyo during that week so my question is, does JR pass is necessary if I plan to walk a lot and use maybe a maximum of 2 times a day train/subway to get around ?

You could buy a Tokyo Metro Day-ticket for 600 Yen/day. Still cheaper than a JR-pass for a week.

http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/ticket/value/index.html

Fireblend

Banned
Hey guys ,

I wouldn't recommend a JR Pass unless you're going to travel by Shinkansen multiple times. You'll be fine in Tokyo without one, there's multiple options to get by just fine there.

Fritz

Anyone ever did a Japanese course in Japan? I am contemplating staying for a couple of months for my next trip but I want it to be worthwhile on a future resume.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

You can buy it in Tesco in the UK. Think they only do golden curry though which isn't our preferred one. Fine in a pinch.

We stayed on the mainland right near the ferry terminal and got an early ferry in the morning

KiN0 [/quote said:

We stayed on the mainland right near the ferry terminal and got an early ferry in the morning

My wife and I stayed on the island overnight on our honeymoon. It's definitely worth it since the island is extremely quiet and serene after all the day tourists head back to the mainland on the last ferry.

Not a cheap place, but we stayed here and loved it:
http://www.kinsuikan.jp/ <-- Japanese
http://www.japanican.com/en/hotel/detail/7213009/?aff=rsv <--English

Top Bottom