• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

So regarding airbnb, I've never used one so I was wondering, is the price listed on the main page the final price or are there hidden fees?

It's the price listed on each individual place's page. Make sure you check the reviews, the house rules and that it got all the amenities you need.

Hoping someone can help me!

I'm traveling to Japan on February 1 as a tourist to visit my friend for a month in Tokyo (I'll be staying with his family). However, I'm also slated to begin my job as an ALT with Interac on March 17. I've arranged with my employer to have my CoE delivered to my friend's residence in Tokyo (in the beginning part of February), at which point the plan is to travel to Seoul to get my work visa processed. Then I'll come back to Japan and remain with my friend until my job begins.

I've notified the Japanese Embassies in NY (the one with jurisdiction over me) and Seoul, and I plan to call the Immigration authorities to inform them as well. Is there anything else I should do? I know I should be fine entering as a tourist, going to Seoul, and re-entering as an Instructor with my visa, but it feels like there's some formal process I should undertake to make sure this goes smoothly. Am I being paranoid? I know I'll just have to explain the situation to the Immigration officials when I land, but this plan seems pretty kosher to me.

Raysoul

Ok, I'm trying to check out places on Osaka and Kyoto, and I'm really overwhelmed by the beautiful sakura spots and parks. I need help regarding my itinerary for 9 days:

1. We are already sure that we are going to USJ and Den Den Town.
2. We don't really like going on huge crowds, but we expect it since it is Spring season.
3. I already checked Kema Sakuranomiya Park and Expo 70 Commemorative Park for Cherry blossom viewing. Are there any "hidden" parks or Sakura spots that are good?
4. While we have a decent pocket money, we will not be luxurious on our travel, so any spots with no to decent/worth it entrance fee is welcome.
5. I saw Minoo park. Is it really that good on photos?
6. We can do side trips on Kyoto/Nara/Kobe. I'm thinking of doing an overnight stay at Kyoto, but I really don't have a clue if it would be worth it.

Any inputs will be appreciated. :)

eosos

Banned
Hey Japan Travel people! Quick question regarding the JR Pass. I should be able to use it to get from Tokyo -> Osaka -> Hakone -> Tokyo.. right? From what I've read this seems fine, but the responses I saw were from like 2009 on various forums. I'll be travelling from March 31st - April 9th

hwalker84

Hey Japan Travel people! Quick question regarding the JR Pass. I should be able to use it to get from Tokyo -> Osaka -> Hakone -> Tokyo.. right? From what I've read this seems fine, but the responses I saw were from like 2009 on various forums. I'll be travelling from March 31st - April 9th

I was able to use my JR Pass to go to all those places in 2013 and 2015. Had to take a cheap bus up the mountain though.

Kiko

Hey guys, I've got a quick question for the more experienced ones with the railway system. I'm on a biztrip in two weeks and will unfortunately arrive in NRT. I am going to buy a Suica anyway, because I want to roam free in the Tokyo area. I am actually staying in Yokohama though. I beliebe the NEX is the best way to go from NRT to Yokohama, but can the ticket be paid with the Suica or do I have to buy the NEX ticket seperately from the Suica card?

Please note: Osaka castle is just an exterior. Inside it's your generic modern concrete slab historical museum. If you want an actual, real castle you need to go elsewhere. I was horribly disappointed.

danowat

Banned
It was a discount package with a separate ticket and a Suica card. It was never just 1 card.

Ok, on a similar subject, I've been informed that there is a (not many people know about it / hard to find?) discount travel card available at Narita (and other places) that is only available to tourists?

index_img_23.gif

1500 Yen for 3 days seems pretty good value, would it be worth that rather than getting a suica?

Apparently you buy it from the bus counter in Narita airport?

Ok, on a similar subject, I've been informed that there is a (not many people know about it / hard to find?) discount travel card available at Narita (and other places) that is only available to tourists?

1500 Yen for 3 days seems pretty good value, would it be worth that rather than getting a suica?

Apparently you buy it from the bus counter in Narita airport?

It's 72 hours, not 3 days, so you can use it on 4 different days as long as it's within the 24 hour period.

And this is a ticket for the subways only, you can not take JR Trains.

If you're gonna stay near a subway station and you're going to take subways at least 9-12 times in total over 72 hours then it's worth it.

And the best value is if you're staying somewhere near Ueno/Asakusa (or one of the subway stops nearby) and you buy the Skyliner + Subway package:
http://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetudou/skyliner/us/value_ticket/subway.php

danowat

Banned
It's 72 hours, not 3 days, so you can use it on 4 different days as long as it's within the 24 hour period.

And this is a ticket for the subways only, you can not take JR Trains.

If you're gonna stay near a subway station and you're going to take subways at least 9-12 times in total over 72 hours then it's worth it.

We will have a JR Pass, so we only need something for the subways, just need to look at my itinerary and see how many subway journeys we are doing I guess.

We are staying at the Sunroute Shinjuku Plaza, literally on Shinjuku station.

We will have a JR Pass, so we only need something for the subways, just need to look at my itinerary and see how many subway journeys we are doing I guess.

We are staying at the Sunroute Shinjuku Plaza, literally on Shinjuku station.

Well, with an JR Pass you'd mostly be looking at Asakusa/Skytree, Roppongi, Tsukiji Fish Market and Tokyo Tower where you'd want to take subways as a normal tourist.

danowat

Banned
Well, with an JR Pass you'd mostly be looking at Asakusa/Skytree, Roppongi, Tsukiji Fish Market and Tokyo Tower where you'd want to take subways as a normal tourist.

Yeah, looks like I am going to come in under the 9 rides threshold, unless we decide to head out somewhere other than Shinjuku for a meal in the evening.

My trip was great even if there was one thing that happened that bugged me.

I pretty much let my friends decide on things because they had been there a lot and new good places to take me as a first-timer. But I had recently been reading up a lot on Ainu culture and located an Ainu restaurant in Shinjuku right by my hotel so I was excited to go try Ainu food. I go by myself the first time and it's a small place with a few seats open. As soon as I walk in, the waiter and chef start talking and he holds up a big X with his hands and the waiter is like "No. Sorry, no." so I just left. I was annoyed but I figured that maybe they didn't speak any English really and the menu obviously wasn't so perhaps they just didn't want to deal with the frustration of it. Shitty, but it makes sense. So I come back with two of my friends who speak Japanese, one black and the other white, and it's full so they say again "Sorry, no" and my friend tells them in Japanese we don't mind waiting and the guy says that they can't seat us, they don't have room which is a total crock of shit as every single other Japanese restaurant I was at this trip even if they didn't speak a lick of English let me wait if there wasn't room. I waited 45 minutes for ramen one time in a place that sat 4 people. So again, he says we'll wait, how long will a wait for a table be and he says they're booked solid. Which is not true.

So I didn't get to eat something I was really excited for and it ticked me off a bit.

Ratrat

My trip was great even if there was one thing that happened that bugged me.

I pretty much let my friends decide on things because they had been there a lot and new good places to take me as a first-timer. But I had recently been reading up a lot on Ainu culture and located an Ainu restaurant in Shinjuku right by my hotel so I was excited to go try Ainu food. I go by myself the first time and it's a small place with a few seats open. As soon as I walk in, the waiter and chef start talking and he holds up a big X with his hands and the waiter is like "No. Sorry, no." so I just left. I was annoyed but I figured that maybe they didn't speak any English really and the menu obviously wasn't so perhaps they just didn't want to deal with the frustration of it. Shitty, but it makes sense. So I come back with two of my friends who speak Japanese, one black and the other white, and it's full so they say again "Sorry, no" and my friend tells them in Japanese we don't mind waiting and the guy says that they can't seat us, they don't have room which is a total crock of shit as every single other Japanese restaurant I was at this trip even if they didn't speak a lick of English let me wait if there wasn't room. I waited 45 minutes for ramen one time in a place that sat 4 people. So again, he says we'll wait, how long will a wait for a table be and he says they're booked solid. Which is not true.

So I didn't get to eat something I was really excited for and it ticked me off a bit.
Was it bear meat?

Hi all, I'm planning a trip in March in Sapporo, Kyoto, Kobe and Osaka. Any good places for food in those areas? interested in trying a variety of different foods, as well as a good place for dessert.

Also, I read that Kiyomizudera in Kyoto would be closed for repairs. To what extent is it closed? How much of it can I explore?

Also, any recommendations on a good Kobe beef restaurant?

Hi all, I'm planning a trip in March in Sapporo, Kyoto, Kobe and Osaka. Any good places for food in those areas? interested in trying a variety of different foods, as well as a good place for dessert.

Also, I read that Kiyomizudera in Kyoto would be closed for repairs. To what extent is it closed? How much of it can I explore?

Try crab and Genghis Khan in Sapporo.

The main hall of Kiyomizudera will be under renovations (the one in all the pictures), but most other of the buildings will be open (lots of buildings and gates in red).

Aiii

So not worth it
So friends, I need to buy the Japan Rail Pass, if I am understanding things correctly I can pre-purchase that from abroad (or I have to, this website is very confusing to me). So I'm sure one of you can recommend a reliable place to buy these? Thanks in advance for the help :D

Fireblend

Banned
So friends, I need to buy the Japan Rail Pass, if I am understanding things correctly I can pre-purchase that from abroad (or I have to, this website is very confusing to me). So I'm sure one of you can recommend a reliable place to buy these? Thanks in advance for the help :D

You have to. I think there's a way to buy it there but it's more of a hassle I think and there's no reason not to buy it beforehand really. I think I got mine from jrpass.com.

You have to (at least for now)

You can get it from either http://www.jrpass.com/ or https://m.japan-rail-pass.com/

Just use whichever is cheaper where you live.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
I may have the opportunity to go to a conference in Japan from July 30 to August 4 and if it goes through, I would like to stay there for another two weeks to travel the country. Do you guys think it's too hot and humid during that time of the year to travel comfortably? Looking at some charts, the average daytime temperature in August is around 31 C (88 F) in large parts of the country. That's pretty rough and significantly higher than where I live (Austria).

Also, the last week would overlap with Obon week and from what I've read, travel activity is very high during that week and in August in general due to summer holidays. Does anyone have experience on how bad it actually is? Like acceptably busy or I-want-to-die busy?

I was initially planning to go on vacation to Japan this fall or maybe next year, but if I get the chance for my flights to be paid by my employer, I would gladly take it.

Fritz

I may have the opportunity to go to a conference in Japan from July 30 to August 4 and if it goes through, I would like to stay there for another two weeks to travel the country. Do you guys think it's too hot and humid during that time of the year to travel comfortably? Looking at some charts, the average daytime temperature in August is around 31 C (88 F) in large parts of the country. That's pretty rough and significantly higher than where I live (Austria).

Also, the last week would overlap with Obon week and from what I've read, travel activity is very high during that week and in August in general due to summer holidays. Does anyone have experience on how bad it actually is? Like acceptably busy or I-want-to-die busy?

I was initially planning to go on vacation to Japan this fall or maybe next year, but if I get the opportunity for my flights to be paid by my employer, I would gladly take it.

I'd say go since you got a freebie. It will be humid and hot but I mean, the Japanese are somehow coping too. Probably go to some beach resorts or into the mountains instead of two weeks Tokyo

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
I'd say go since you got a freebie. It will be humid and hot but I mean, the Japanese are somehow coping too. Probably go to some beach resorts or into the mountains instead of two weeks Tokyo

I haven't done much research yet, but I would definitely like a good balance between nature and cities. So maybe a few days in some of the mayor cities and the rest of the time spent around interesting places in the countryside.

Whatever you do, don't go to Disneyland during this period ;p

You'll survive, but you'd better bring/buy a face towel so you can wipe sweat from your face all the time.

Depending on where you're staying (like in an AirBnB place or hostel) you could take a shower and then be sweating again even before you've dried off.

Of course, Japan is still pretty nice...

Fritz

I haven't done much research yet, but I would definitely like a good balance between nature and cities. So maybe a few days in some of the mayor cities and the rest of the time spent around interesting places in the countryside.

I meant to say that the humidity is probably more bearable in the mountains or at the sea. but yeah, a nice balance between nature and city is always desireable.

Try to not travel out of a big city on the 11-12th or back into a big city on the 15-16th and you'll probably be fine. It should be less busy than Golden Week at least :p

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
Whatever you do, don't go to Disneyland during this period ;p

You'll survive, but you'd better bring/buy a face towel so you can wipe sweat from your face all the time.

Depending on where you're staying (like in an AirBnB place or hostel) you could take a shower and then be sweating again even before you've dried off.

Of course, Japan is still pretty nice...

I have no desire to go to Disneyland, so that's not a problem. :)

Yeah, I kind of expect sweating to be a real issue, since I usually tend to sweat easily when it's very hot. Bringing a towel everywhere is a good idea.

I meant to say that the humidity is probably more bearable in the mountains or at the sea. but yeah, a nice balance between nature and city is always desireable.

That's what I meant as well. I'd like to escape the brutal heat of concrete cities as much as possible and like you said, the mountains or sea are probably a good place to be. I've also read Hokkaido is lovely during that time of the year.

Try to not travel out of a big city on the 11-12th or back into a big city on the 15-16th and you'll probably be fine. It should be less busy than Golden Week at least :p

Probably a good idea to do the reverse thing and spend 11-12th in a city and 15-16th in nature I guess.

Yeah, I kind of expect sweating to be a real issue, since I usually tend to sweat easily when it's very hot. Bringing a towel everywhere is a good idea.

Remember to bring deodorant. Japanese deodorant is supposedly crappy.

Oh, and try to avoid the subway if you can and the mildly air-conditioned train cars :p

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
Remember to bring deodorant. Japanese deodorant is supposedly crappy.

Oh, and try to avoid the subway if you can and the mildly air-conditioned train cars :p

"After July 1, air conditioners are set strictly at 28C (82F) until September."

Wow, that's brutal. For some reason I expected Japanese public transport would be heavily air-conditioned.

"After July 1, air conditioners are set strictly at 28C (82F) until September."

Wow, that's brutal. For some reason I expected Japanese public transport would be heavily air-conditioned.

That's the mildly air-conditioned train cars. Normal air-conditioned train cars is like 26C. Feels like heaven after being outside though!

kubus

Trying to figure out if I'm eligible to do tax free shopping here... Anyone have a clue?

I got a scholarship to study in Japan for a year and I'm there now since September. My visa category is "(G) AS STUDENT" and it's eligible for a year. I'm going back to my home country on vacation next week for about a month.

Tax free requirements as per the website:

Visitors with a temporary stay status are eligible for
tax-free shopping.
*Japanese citizens are not eligible.
*Not eligible if you are working in Japan.
*Not eligible if staying in Japan more than six months.

I'm kinda confused by a few things. First of all "temporary stay status". I guess I'm staying a year, so I meet this requirement? Next, "Not eligible if staying in Japan more than six months". Normally this would mean I'm out, but I'm not sure since they word it differently in some places. For example, on this official Japan Tax Free website, they say: "Only foreign visitors who have temporarily stayed in Japan for less than 6 months since entering Japan." Going by this description, I would be ok.

Since I'm going back to my country within 6 months of entering Japan, does that mean I can get the tax free applied? I want to buy a Apple Watch 2, so I would save a huge load of money if I could get it tax free. Unfortunately I can't make calls here and the nearest Apple Store is more than an hour away so it's not really like I can drop by and ask... :(

edit: Oh wait, does the "Temporary stay status" mean the white sticker in your passport has to say "Status: Temporary visitor"? Because mine says "Status: Student"... so I don't apply :(...?

Trying to figure out if I'm eligible to do tax free shopping here... Anyone have a clue?

edit: Oh wait, does the "Temporary stay status" mean the white sticker in your passport has to say "Status: Temporary visitor"? Because mine says "Status: Student"... so I don't apply :(...?

No idea, but in certain cases even Japanese nationals can get stuff tax free:
https://www.laox.co.jp/en/stores/tax/

Who can benefit?

All temporary visitors (less than six months stay in Japan) such as foreign tourists. Japanese nationals who live overseas and plan to do so for two years or more may benefit if they are visiting Japan temporarily.

Guess the only way to be sure is to try it...

I think tax free is already applied when you pay at the store, right? That's a relief, at least.

Depends on the store. In some you have to go to the tax free counter with your receipt after paying and you get money back in cash.

And it seems to differ between different stores who can apply for tax free as well since it seems to be unclear. Bic doesn't mention that some Japanese nationals can get tax free for example:
http://www.biccamera.co.jp.e.lj.hp.transer.com/service/store/taxfree/index.html

I always thought that you had to leave your items in the bag until you left if you buy duty-free but it looks like that's only for consumable goods. So, if I buy a nice camera on my first day there from a place that does duty-free, I can still use it while I'm there?

Top Bottom