• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

That last point in kanazawa - are you saying it doesnt need to be a full week - and I can extend more time to Kyoto ?

Ive been told constantly to make time mostly for Kyoto as alot of people felt rushed there and always wanted to spend more time here..

(Since Kyoto is the lag leg - looking to relax here )

Yes. Near Kyoto there's Osaka, Nara, Kobe, and you could even go to Hiroshima/Miyajima on day trips, so there's more than enough to do for more than 1 week.

Oh, and get a 14 day JR Pass for whatever you choose for week 2 + Kyoto (make sure you get back to Tokyo on day 14 if you're taking a plane back from there though).

exhume

You can use kuroneko to forward your bags from city to city.
Seriously, luggage forwarding is so great. I only used it once at the end of the trip, and I wish I'd used it a whole lot more. It's so cheap and efficient.

That last point in kanazawa - are you saying it doesnt need to be a full week - and I can extend more time to Kyoto ?
I was in Japan in November and Kanazawa was by far the lowlight for my trip. Don't get me wrong, it was still awesome! But even 2 days there was too much, and I wish I'd spent an extra day in Takayama instead, it's smaller but has so much more charm.

The Takkyubin service sounds terrific.
I'm thinking of using it on my return journey, but I'm not sure how practical it would be to send luggage from Kyoto to Narita.
The JR website recommends sending the item 2 days prior to departure, but I'm scared that a miscalculation could happen and it misses my departure day.

Going to Kyoto for 2 days today. Should be super fun. Amused that taking a train 2 hours here will get me to a location a distance away that would take like 4 in the states. Stop being so good Japanese railway!

I was in Japan in November and Kanazawa was by far the lowlight for my trip. Don't get me wrong, it was still awesome! But even 2 days there was too much, and I wish I'd spent an extra day in Takayama instead, it's smaller but has so much more charm.

Well, they were saying that they'd use the city as a hub, so I'd assume they'd go to some other cities like Shirakawa, Takayama, Nagano or Furukawa

I'll have a ton of bags, theres not really much else I can do, we are there for 3 weeks, and I am travelling with my wife who doesn't really get the idea of packing light!.

I've always said I could quite easily travel while wearing everything I need, but she doesn't think this is a good idea!!!.

If you aren't worried about your bags being with you (my wife doesn't like the idea), you could use the luggage forwarding services and travel without your bags.

Ahh ok thought you were going to be that solo person with 5 massive bags blocking the isles the entire time lol. I'll still recommend you travel mostly light, there are plenty of clothes cleaning services in hotels and or coin operated mats everywhere. Everything else you could need is easily found, most like next door in a convenience store (they are better stocked with a better variety here)

Just be prepaired to get stares of "those people" when your lugging around a ton of bags + what ever you decide to buy while here haha. From both locals and other travelers (the other travelers are probably 'those people' too rofl) Most people using the shinkansen are coming from day or weekend trips, especially after shopping so its common to see people with a good bit of shopping bags from their adventures.

As long as you can enjoy yourself don't worry to much.

Book places with a washer or use a nearby coin laundry. Many hotels got coin laundries as well.

I can only recommend it.
On my first trip I spent 24 days in Japan. I did take like three weeks of clothing with me.
On the second trip I took like 5 T-Shirts, 1 extra pair of jeans, 5 boxers, 1 extra hoodie, 5 pair of socks and one good shirt with me.
I used the washing mashines and dryers at Toyoko Inn and the whole getting around was waaaay easier and less stressful than the first time.
Another plus: More space for the stuff you buy in Japan. ;D
I also didn't take any shampoo or shower gel with me, only those small sample bottles for emergency.
In Toyoko Inns there's everything available, even toothbrushes and toothpaste.

srst

I can only recommend it.
On my first trip I spent 24 days in Japan. I did take like three weeks of clothing with me.
On the second trip I took like 5 T-Shirts, 1 extra pair of jeans, 5 boxers, 1 extra hoodie, 5 pair of socks and one good shirt with me.
I used the washing mashines and dryers at Toyoko Inn and the whole getting around was waaaay easier and less stressful than the first time.
Another plus: More space for the stuff you buy in Japan. ;D
I also didn't take any shampoo or shower gel with me, only those small sample bottles for emergency.
In Toyoko Inns there's everything available, even toothbrushes and toothpaste.

I am definitely doing this for my next trip. My last visit I brought the biggest luggage I can check-in mainly for clothes. It was a pain in the ass to haul around and looked really goofy too.

Fritz

Your bringing clothes for every day?! You're not going to a third world country. Of course you can get your laundry done in Japan.

Travel light!

danowat

Banned
No, we don't take clothes for every day LOL!!.

I have tried to pursuade my wife to use the forwarding system, but she is just not budging on the idea, she is not keen on get our bag/s the morning after we arrive in a place.

We won't be lugging around a ton of luggage, we'll have a medium rolly case each and a small backpack.

Zoe

No, we don't take clothes for every day LOL!!.

I have tried to pursuade my wife to use the forwarding system, but she is just not budging on the idea, she is not keen on get our bag/s the morning after we arrive in a place.

We won't be lugging around a ton of luggage, we'll have a medium rolly case each and a small backpack.
It wouldn't be the morning after though...

Zoe

Oh really?, everything I've looked at says the morning after......

Well if you're trying to forward it every day, then yeah, there would be a delay, but that's not really how most people use it. You don't need access to all pieces of clothing every single day.

During our last trip we took our luggage with us from Tokyo to Nara. Then on our last day in Nara we forwarded it to where we planned to be 2 days later, Yokohama. We had a night in Kumamoto and a night in Oita in between where all we needed was a duffel bag each (actually could have fit in one, but we wanted room for shopping). The suitcase was waiting for us when we checked into Yokohama.

Dear Britain,

Quit fucking with global exchange rates.

Kthxbye

--

Dear Trump,

Say something really stupid and nationalistic around the end of March.

Gofuckyourself

Valus

Going to Japan for two weeks in March/April. We will be in Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo. Are there any must see attractions? My gf is Japanese so she's taking care of most of the planning but just in case she asks if there's anything specific I want to see I was hoping you guys could offer some tips. Thanks.

srst

Going to Japan for two weeks in March/April. We will be in Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo. Are there any must see attractions? My gf is Japanese so she's taking care of most of the planning but just in case she asks if there's anything specific I want to see I was hoping you guys could offer some tips. Thanks.

The Metropolitan Area Outer Underground Discharge Channel looks like a cool place to visit. You must bring a translator with you for safety reasons.

Osaka Castle
All of Kyoto

I'd recommend the Gundam statue but sounds like you wont be there in time.

I got an alert from Google this morning saying flights from O'Hare to Narita non-stop dropped from $1800 to $800. As I was coordinating with a friend on a date it went from non-stop to having a layover on the return flight. Then the price just shot back up to $1800. There was good prices for like a goddamn four hour window that I missed. Hopefully they drop back down next Thursday and I'll snatch one right away.

Gin

Yes. Near Kyoto there's Osaka, Nara, Kobe, and you could even go to Hiroshima/Miyajima on day trips, so there's more than enough to do for more than 1 week.

Oh, and get a 14 day JR Pass for whatever you choose for week 2 + Kyoto (make sure you get back to Tokyo on day 14 if you're taking a plane back from there though).

Im looking at 14 day passes right now .... they are somewhat expensive already for CAD prices

https://www.japan-rail-pass.com/?currency-code=CAD&ap=b6021as&gclid=CKG93p6Mz9ECFcOLswod7VMHlQ

I originally intended to do 1st week, Tokyo, 2nd Week Kanazawa, and 3rd week Kyoto
However, I just realized that my JR pass will expire once I reach Kyoto :( - and that is where I want to do alot of day trips which need the pass I believe

Do I really need JR pass active for Tokyo itself? I am thinking instead to move around the weeks instead. IE -land at Narita - head straight to 1st week Kyoto, 2nd week Kanazawa - last week Tokyo - head back to Narita from there

That way, My pass will expire once I am in Tokyo - should make things more reasonable (hopefully) - any thoughts on this?

Hey guys!

Booked my tickets for two weeks from May to early June with my GF and am absurdly happy to knock this off my
weaboo
bucket list :)!!!

We are still deep into the research period in terms of exact locations but I'm thinking, since we have, in reality, 12 unobstructed days, something like:

Tokyo- 7-8 Days
Osaka- 4-5 Days

My major questions atm are: would it be worth it to buy a JR pass or should we just pay the train fees from Tokyo to Osaka, then back again for our flight out of Haneda?

Also, Kyoto, with 14 days, would it be worth our while to spread our wings there as well? Woefully misinformed on what to do there tbh, we are more interested in Jculture in terms of pop media like, anime, games and what not, though I also study/adore classic Japanese culture as well (thinking about Osaka castle for sure).

OK this might sound weird but you never know what's out there!

I made a thread about me going to Japan in June for about 10 weeks for work, I'm very much looking forward to trying all the food. However, I know getting food poisoning in a foreign country is not only very common, but for the length of time that I'll be staying I feel it's somewhat of an inevitability. Poor Hyrule Warrior got it, and my dad visited Seoul last November for literally like 3 days and also got it.

I have about 5 months to go, is there anything I can take over the course of 5 months that can help build immunity against whatever's happening to be causing food poisoning? Is that a thing that exists?

danowat

Banned

I made a thread about me going to Japan in June for about 10 weeks for work, I'm very much looking forward to trying all the food. However, I know getting food poisoning in a foreign country is not only very common, but for the length of time that I'll be staying I feel it's somewhat of an inevitability. Poor Hyrule Warrior got it, and my dad visited Seoul last November for literally like 3 days and also got it.

I have about 5 months to go, is there anything I can take over the course of 5 months that can help build immunity against whatever's happening to be causing food poisoning? Is that a thing that exists?

It's not inevitable at all, I've traveled in some really iffy countries and not got sick, there are a few things you can do.

Firstly, basic hygenie, whenever you touch anything, especially money, wash your hands, don't touch your mouth or eyes or any other mucus membrane.

If you are of a tender stomach, stay away from things that aren't cooked, or things that are left standing, alcohol and sun exposure are quite often mistaken for food poisoning.

As for prophylactic measures, the people I've traveled with to iffy countries in Africa and the Middle East swear by probiotic drinks (I never bother), and citricidal liquid ingestion.

Other than that, basic common sense should see you right.

I'd say that Japan is pretty safe considering food. Don't eat at sketchy places and you should be fine.

And if you get food poisoning you get it. It's mostly Staph., Clostridia or E. coli. And you get those everywhere, even where you currently live.

If you want to get accustomed with Japanese food I'd recommend visiting a near by Japanese restaurant (not the standard Chinese Sushi-restaurant) if you have the opportunity.

I personally never had problems with food in Japan and especially the big vendors, konbini etc. are taking great care of hygiene.

My major questions atm are: would it be worth it to buy a JR pass or should we just pay the train fees from Tokyo to Osaka, then back again for our flight out of Haneda?

Also, Kyoto, with 14 days, would it be worth our while to spread our wings there as well? Woefully misinformed on what to do there tbh, we are more interested in Jculture in terms of pop media like, anime, games and what not, though I also study/adore classic Japanese culture as well (thinking about Osaka castle for sure).

If you're just going to Osaka then you could get these discount Shinkansen tickets, which enabled you to take the fastest Nozomi trains as well:
http://www.japanican.com/en/tour/detail/VJOPENTO1/

Make sure to read all the details though.

Kyoto is only 20 minutes from Osaka, so why not go?

A lot more tourists in Osaka:
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...-million-foreign-tourists-visited-osaka-2016/

Over 9.4 million foreign tourists visited Osaka last year, the largest number ever, Osaka tourism authorities announced earlier this week.

The figure represents a 31 percent increase on 2015, and is more than triple the number of foreign nationals who visited the city in 2013, officials added.

The total included 3.73 million visitors from mainland China, an increase of 37 percent on the previous year. Another 1.58 million visitors were from South Korea, up 46 percent from a year before, and 1.26 visitors were from Taiwan, a 19 percent increase.

For the past several years, the tourism boom has meant Osaka has had one of the highest hotel occupancy rates of any major city in the country, nearly 90 percent at certain times of the year.

Izuna

Banned
Hotel Occupancy Rate

haha, that spin

~~

I might spend a month or two there in Summer. I heard the heat in Tokyo is unbearable but I've never experienced Summer outside of England (and at one point, Malta at 8).

Will I die?

Fritz

Hotel Occupancy Rate

haha, that spin

~~

I might spend a month or two there in Summer. I heard the heat in Tokyo is unbearable but I've never experienced Summer outside of England (and at one point, Malta at 8).

Will I die?

It's brutal, there is no sugar coating it. Better say goodbye to keeping up appearance in public. You're going to be a sweaty, defeated blob.

Izuna

Banned
Ugh, that sounds horrible.

Rethinking it now.

On the other hand, I'd get to see a particular Asian girl not wear tights.

Rydeen

Officially heading back in March! Question to you guys, since I haven't been since 2015;

Has there been a change on what travel passes are available to internationals? I heard something about rail passes or something with the Shinkansen passes changing in 2016. Anybody know the details on that?

danowat

Banned
Officially heading back in March! Question to you guys, since I haven't been since 2015;

Has there been a change on what travel passes are available to internationals? I heard something about rail passes or something with the Shinkansen passes changing in 2016. Anybody know the details on that?
I believe the changes are just for Japanese nationals that reside outside Japan.

So if you aren't that, I don't think there are any other changes?

Fowler

Heading to Japan next week for our honeymoon. 2 weeks going from Sapporo to Fukuoka via (mostly) Shinkansen. Got my JR passes, just have to find my Suica and we're good to go!!!

hwalker84

Heading to Japan next week for our honeymoon. 2 weeks going from Sapporo to Fukuoka via (mostly) Shinkansen. Got my JR passes, just have to find my Suica and we're good to go!!!
Ah Fukuoka. Possibly my favorite city. I could go out every night and pig out at the Yatai's

If you're just going to Osaka then you could get these discount Shinkansen tickets, which enabled you to take the fastest Nozomi trains as well:
http://www.japanican.com/en/tour/detail/VJOPENTO1/

Make sure to read all the details though.

Kyoto is only 20 minutes from Osaka, so why not go?

Looks like May is unavailable for ticket preorder as of right now but thanks for the heads up!

Just booked are Air bnb in Shinjuku (specifically the area ). Any must sees/goes in the immediate area I should know? Also, in terms of arcades, where do you guys recommend for variety of new arcade exclusives and greatest density of classics? Have done my research for a good portion akihabara but def want as much input from as many ppl as possible!

Also, in terms of arcades, where do you guys recommend for variety of new arcade exclusives and greatest density of classics? Have done my research for a good portion akihabara but def want as much input from as many ppl as possible!

Go to Taito Hey for classics and any Sega or regular Taito ones for modern stuff in Akiba.

I don't know how well I should trust an Airbnb host whose profile pic is an anime girl.

On one hand, I'd like to see their real face to see if they're legit, but on the other hand, what if they were a real anime girl?!?

On topic:what would you recommend for a nice ekiben? I'd be riding trains a lot, and would like to know some good stuff to eat along the way.

I don't know how well I should trust an Airbnb host whose profile pic is an anime girl.

On one hand, I'd like to see their real face to see if they're legit, but on the other hand, what if they were a real anime girl?!?

On topic:what would you recommend for a nice ekiben? I'd be riding trains a lot, and would like to know some good stuff to eat along the way.

As always, check the reviews.

Get eel! It's in one of those fancy ekiben boxes that heats up as well.

KillGore

So regarding airbnb, I've never used one so I was wondering, is the price listed on the main page the final price or are there hidden fees?

Top Bottom