• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Tsundere

Banned
I've been having a blast so far, it's really a beautiful country. The portable Wifi is your best friend, with your cellphone/tablet of course. :)

Going to Tokyo Tower tonight! Just got back from Akihabara Festival.

If I had known ahead of time that there was an l'Arc-en-Ciel concert yesterday/today in Harajuku, I would have bought tickets... I only found out when I went to the skating rink!!! >_<

Edit: JR pass as well, Shinkansen is godly.

tokkun

I'm packing right now, still no itinerary, have no idea how to reach my hostels and hotel

and I'm overpacked lol

I'm all for the idea of no itinerary travel, but I painstakingly plot the method of getting to my lodgings if I don't speak the language. How much are you packing? I only took a large carry on for two weeks, and was very glad for it. Just got hard to pack the omiyage for the trip home.

Garou

If I had known ahead of time that there was an l'Arc-en-Ciel concert yesterday/today in Harajuku, I would have bought tickets... I only found out when I went to the skating rink!!! >_<

Don't be sad, the concert was sold out quite some time ago and even many Japanese who wanted to go couldn't get tickets.
It was a great concert!! :p

scarlet

I'm all for the idea of no itinerary travel, but I painstakingly plot the method of getting to my lodgings if I don't speak the language. How much are you packing? I only took a large carry on for two weeks, and was very glad for it. Just got hard to pack the omiyage for the trip home.

Gonna use 23" luggage, I bring like 8/9 shirts, 4 pants, 2 sweatpants, 13 underwears and undershirts lol.

I have problems.

And it seems I can't go to Ghibli, sold out already for my dates

Resilient

Get excited peeps. You will have an absolute blast! Make sure to check out Tsutaya in Shibuya, the prices there are god like!!

Take less clothes! Laundries are everywhere and you can wash+dry for 500 yen and an hour or less! Backpack or bust, too!

Trojan X

Banned
When you get to japan just make sure you always dress to impress. Japan is like a 24hrs fashion show and since we are foreigners we stand out easily. So make sure you dress well no matter where you go. When i first came here i ended up not wearing half of the clothes i brought because they were too casual. Represent!

scarlet

When you get to japan just make sure you always dress to impress. Japan is like a 24hrs fashion show and since we are foreigners we stand out easily. So make sure you dress well no matter where you go. When i first came here i ended up not wearing half of the clothes i brought because they were too casual. Represent!

Well I'm asian, so pretty sure not gonna stand out in the sea of asian haha.

When I was in Hong Kong, people keep talking to me in Cantonese, asked me directions, they thought I was local.

abunai

Hey guys.

I'll be going to Japan from May to September to do a research project for my MSc degree, and was wondering if someone could tell me information about train travel. I've been told the best way to get to where I am going (Keio University Institute for Advanced Biosciences in Tsuruoka) is:

Land in Narita -> Narita Express to Tokyo Station
Tokyo Station -> (JR Joetsu) -> Niigata Station
Niigata Station -> (JR Uetsu) -> Tsuruoka.

Would you think it's better to purchase a JR East pass for this? From what I can see, this doesn't cover the Uetsu line. Or would it be favourable to just purchase the three individual tickets from a JR East Travel Service Center in Narita Airport? (Can you even buy tickets for the N'EX, Joetsu and Uetsu in the airport?)

Thanks

Raide

Hey guys.

I'll be going to Japan from May to September to do a research project for my MSc degree, and was wondering if someone could tell me information about train travel. I've been told the best way to get to where I am going (Keio University Institute for Advanced Biosciences in Tsuruoka) is:

Land in Narita -> Narita Express to Tokyo Station
Tokyo Station -> (JR Joetsu) -> Niigata Station
Niigata Station -> (JR Uetsu) -> Tsuruoka.

Would you think it's better to purchase a JR East pass for this? From what I can see, this doesn't cover the Uetsu line. Or would it be favourable to just purchase the three individual tickets from a JR East Travel Service Center in Narita Airport? (Can you even buy tickets for the N'EX, Joetsu and Uetsu in the airport?)

Thanks

Not sure the JR East will cover everything you need. If I remember correctly is does cover the Joetsu/Uetsu Shinkansen. You will probably end up having to get multiple tickets to cover what you need. Max for 90 day stays thought. According to the website...

Access

Air:
Transfer from Narita airport to Haneda airport (Terminal 2) by limousine bus (60-100 minutes) Flight to Shonai (50 minutes) Bus/shuttle/taxi to Tsuruoka/IAB (20 minutes) :

Train:
Transfer from Narita airport to Tokyo station (a 53 minute ride using Narita Express train) From Tokyo station to Niigata (Joetsu Shinkansen) and one transfer to Limited Express train (Uetsu line) to Tsuruoka (Total about 4.5 hours)

Please see the following sites for prices and schedules:

Limousine bus: http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/

Narita Express: http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/nex/tickets.html

All Nippon Airways: https://www.ana.co.jp/

JR trains: http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/index.html

Search tool for public transportation in Japan: http://www.hyperdia.com/

histopher

as mentioned - you need to get the NEX Narita express to Tokyo station - there are two "exit sides" - the Maranouchi and the Yaesu Exit. Yaesu is the one you want - the north exit is to the left as you head towards. You will come out near a place called Gran Tower (i think!) - just walk towards the busy road, there's a crossing there that will take you over it and then you are just a left turn down the busy street to get there.

One of the clients i work with is in Yaesu, i'm there 3-4 days a week - i'd be about 5 minutes from your location :O

Thank you so much. Id be happy to shout you a beer dude let me know.

Leaving tomorrow!!!

Trojan X

Banned
Well I'm asian, so pretty sure not gonna stand out in the sea of asian haha.

When I was in Hong Kong, people keep talking to me in Cantonese, asked me directions, they thought I was local.

I'm sorry. What you said is absolutely true. It really won't make a difference for you because of your oriental ethnicity; you'll naturally blend in.

I know it is a touchy subject but, truth be told, I guess what I mentioned is more for the Desi, Arab, Black, and other ethnic groups. White, Mestizo and similar groups to be honest doesn't apply "too" much due to the way those groups are portrayed in Japan (look at Japan's fashion industry for a good idea) which is generally positive. Please, anyone, like I said, this is a touchy topic so please do not nitpick, put too much pride in the way, or read too much into my words which may cause you to twist what I am saying. Always remember that Japan is not a international country like UK or the US, so just represent by dressing well and decently, and catch yourself up on good manners in Japan before you attend so you can always leave a great impression. After all, that impression you'll leave behind will benefit you and everyone else in the future as you'll help change more Japanese' mentality towards those groups.

I hope you understand but if you don't understand then you "will" when you finally get here with open eyes.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I'm sorry. What you said is absolutely true. It really won't make a difference for you because of your oriental ethnicity; you'll naturally blend in.

I know it is a touchy subject but, truth be told, I guess what I mentioned is more for the Desi, Arab, Black, and other ethnic groups. White, Mestizo and similar groups to be honest doesn't apply "too" much due to the way those groups are portrayed in Japan (look at Japan's fashion industry for a good idea) which is generally positive. Please, anyone, like I said, this is a touchy topic so please do not nitpick, put too much pride in the way, or read too much into my words which may cause you to twist what I am saying. Always remember that Japan is not a international country like UK or the US, so just represent by dressing well and decently, and catch yourself up on good manners in Japan before you attend so you can always leave a great impression. After all, that impression you'll leave behind will benefit you and everyone else in the future as you'll help change more Japanese' mentality towards those groups.

I hope you understand but if you don't understand then you "will" when you finally get here with open eyes.

I can agree more with you, thats why i always dress like i want :D

But i'm always polite and respectful :D

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

I kind of like that aspect of it. I'm Canadian, which is such a "sweatpants & hoody culture". You actually stand out and look like a fob if you dress too sharp. It's nice to go somewhere and get fancy ;)

Trojan X

Banned
I kind of like that aspect of it. I'm Canadian, which is such a "sweatpants & hoody culture". You actually stand out and look like a fob if you dress too sharp. It's nice to go somewhere and get fancy ;)

Of course! You definitely do not want to over dress. Just ensure that you look good whatever you wear. :) Wearing a dark hoody with baggy pants or whatever (you know what I mean) is definitely a big no-no though. Perfect way to get an immediate bad impression.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Going to Japan tomorrow, but I'm going with a friend so a few compromises had to be made (will not get a chance to go to the Ghibli Museum ;__;).

Had a bit of trouble checking in this morning because my booking code or name kept throwing up an error. Eventually got in so I could choose my seat but first thing in the morning and just before a flight, errors like that are not what you want. Hopefully tomorrow will be fine.

Does anyone know where the stamp in Fukuoka airport is?

Resilient

Of course! You definitely do not want to over dress. Just ensure that you look good whatever you wear. :) Wearing a dark hoody with baggy pants or whatever (you know what I mean) is definitely a big no-no though. Perfect way to get an immediate bad impression.

It's true - I can't vouch for this enough. I'm generally pretty conscious about what I wear out at home. In Japan though...tenfold. Something about it, I can't really explain. But you'll understand when you get there! I wanted to wear tracksuit pants on the plane home, but I couldn't deal with wearing them around Narita Airport, so I just had to deal with it D:

Resilient

Going to Japan tomorrow, but I'm going with a friend so a few compromises had to be made (will not get a chance to go to the Ghibli Museum ;__;).

Had a bit of trouble checking in this morning because my booking code or name kept throwing up an error. Eventually got in so I could choose my seat but first thing in the morning and just before a flight, errors like that are not what you want. Hopefully tomorrow will be fine.

Does anyone know where the stamp in Fukuoka airport is?

Can't answer the airport question.

Advice wise - don't let your friend hold you back! You don't need to be a complete dick, but the last thing you want is to miss out on things because the other person you are with doesn't want to go. It's perfectly okay to go solo sometimes! I went with 3 other people and if somebody wanted to do something, they just went and did it. That included 3am visits to Ichiran :D as well as extra visits on my part to Akihabara and Den Den Town, as well as less popular (but very interesting) places such as Nakano. So don't hold yourself back!!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I am so planning my next Tokyo wardrobe now... I'm thinking Iga-style vampire hunter hat with ruffled tux... Too much?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Can't answer the airport question.

Advice wise - don't let your friend hold you back! You don't need to be a complete dick, but the last thing you want is to miss out on things because the other person you are with doesn't want to go. It's perfectly okay to go solo sometimes! I went with 3 other people and if somebody wanted to do something, they just went and did it. That included 3am visits to Ichiran :D as well as extra visits on my part to Akihabara and Den Den Town, as well as less popular (but very interesting) places such as Nakano. So don't hold yourself back!!
He suggested splitting off for two hours but honestly when it comes to museums I don't see myself wanting to rush through it. It's really the only compromise I made and I'm sure I'll likely visit Japan again in the future. My mother would like to go back there one day so a family trip is probably on the books.

Trojan X

Banned
... Advice wise - don't let your friend hold you back! You don't need to be a complete dick, but the last thing you want is to miss out on things because the other person you are with doesn't want to go. It's perfectly okay to go solo sometimes! I went with 3 other people and if somebody wanted to do something, they just went and did it. That included 3am visits to Ichiran :D as well as extra visits on my part to Akihabara and Den Den Town, as well as less popular (but very interesting) places such as Nakano. So don't hold yourself back!!

Ten thumbs up for this one. Completely agree. NEVER let your friends hold you back on anything unless you are planning to do something you may regret. For example, my friend went with his friend to Japan many moons ago and all my friend's friend wanted to do is play in the arcades and nothing else. Even when my friend hooked up with a nice Japanese girl who was will to show them around, all my friend's friend wanted to do was play arcade games such as Virtua Fighter. So what happened? They ended up mostly play arcade games and only went around Japan on odd days here and there. Never let your friend hold you back... if they hold you back then go alone, nothing wrong with that and your friendship won't end because of it. Of course, like I said, it all depends what you are going to do but you should all know what I mean.

Jabo

Completely true! Everyone here is just super stylish. My fashion sense changed so much since the day I started living here.

Also if you guys enjoy partying and would love to hit up the biggest club in asia (or so they say) Don't forget to go to Ageha.

Tsundere

Banned
There is a really nice place in Ikebukuru, but i dont know the name. Had been there a few times, and i dont think i even remember the way.

But is the best Ramen place i had been in Tokyo. :)
Best ramen ive had in Japan so far was the Gogyo Burned Ramen in Kyoto.

ankuo

Banned
Hi all. Anyways after seeing south america, eu, Africa, and the middle east it's time for me to explore Asia. My plan atm is to spend 1 week in Tokyo, 3 days in Singapore, 4 days in hong kong, and 1 week in Bangkok. I will unfortunately be going solo this time. A couple of questions i have ive read this thread i got a general idea but anyways here it goes:

1. What is the nightlife in Japan like. Will it be easy to pull broads(language barrier i just see it being a huge issue and im not their for foreigners i talking about Japanese women and how much effort do i need to pull lol) and where should i go for this (not prostitution places i mean legit bars/clubs (what is the dress code like since i hear Japanese people are so fashion centrik i just keep having it in my head that they wear futuristic shit lol)?
2. I know this might sound ridiculous but i cannot stand fish/sushi. other then kobe beef anything else the Japanese are famous for and where can i find this?
3. is it possible to climb mount fuji as a casual thing or does it take the full 9 yards.

Thanks alot.

scarlet

Burnt ramen is too far lol.
Spending my nights at the hostel, trying to make a decent plan for tomorrow.

It seems kyoto-inari-kyoto-nara-kyoto is simpler than kyoto-inari-nara-kyoto

I'm confused lol

Tsundere

Banned
Burnt ramen is too far lol.
Spending my nights at the hostel, trying to make a decent plan for tomorrow.

It seems kyoto-inari-kyoto-nara-kyoto is simpler than kyoto-inari-nara-kyoto

I'm confused lol

To get to Inari you get on the Nara line anyway... So you can always just do Kyoto->Inari->Nara->Kyoto..

Any pics you could share?
Yep!
1981865_10100124400901874_1749378465_n.jpg

10150693_10100124402583504_691660836_n.jpg

1486545_10100124401016644_272397740_n.jpg

1925207_10100124401141394_1938130915_n.jpg

998287_10100124401410854_25272810_n.jpg

1970767_10100124402034604_1286076863_n.jpg

1982171_10100124402538594_1506396683_n.jpg

10001469_10100124402713244_2105466414_n.jpg

1969288_10100124402763144_447923441_n.jpg

1975062_10100124402962744_1981969442_n.jpg

1939653_10100124402907854_309121245_n.jpg

1977398_10100124402972724_1927700758_n.jpg

10007041_10100124403062544_241611177_n.jpg

1921919_10100124404150364_523451199_n.jpg

1962781_10100124404205254_110994164_n.jpg

1911624_10100124403811044_632004739_n.jpg

1381372_10100124404220224_742908898_n.jpg

1381256_10100124404285094_511931468_n.jpg

1619431_10100124404759144_864957665_n.jpg

1975055_10100124405253154_1179839700_n.jpg

10153631_10100124405487684_225649430_n.jpg

Thanks to everyone who has contributed in this thread. I leave myself on Wednesday (from UK) and I've been following this for months. I'll have to take a second pass tonight and catch anything I may have missed.

scarlet

I'm freezing and sweating at the same time. Blame it on the sun's heat.

Whoever says you won't sweat in 10 C, totally wrong.

Top Bottom