• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Ah! Going to Japan on Wednesday, hopefully the sakura hasn't been blown away by wind by then. So excited.

More like pushed to the ground by rain.

4BtolrS.jpg

Saya

More like pushed to the ground by rain.

Has it been very rainy in Tokyo and Kyoto? I don't have any jacket, because I'm living in a tropical country at the moment I don't have any need for it. Might have to invest into a vest or hoodie or something.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Has it been very rainy in Tokyo and Kyoto? I don't have any jacket, because I'm living in a tropical country at the moment I don't have any need for it. Might have to invest into a vest or hoodie or something.

It's not that cold, just rainy. Don't need to bundle up that much, but get an umbrella ~

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just arrived and enjoying the combination of being bloody exhausted, and my in laws all coming round for dinner on the first night :)

Also got a pocket wifi dongle which is going to be a lifesaver

Btw, noticed that the exchange rate seems a bit better this time around (from UK). IPad mini retina at 40,000 yen is about £230 which seems a pretty great price. Any downsides from buying a Japanese one? I'm guessing they are universal.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
^ No downsides, I think. The voltage of the plug in charger might be a problem depending on the country maybe? (Fine for NA, not sure about UK/EU)

Trojan X

Banned
^ No downsides, I think. The voltage of the plug in charger might be a problem depending on the country maybe? (Fine for NA, not sure about UK/EU)

No issues with voltage for iPad. My iPad 4 is from the UK and I charge it randomly on either my Japanese power supply or my step-up converted/transformed power supply. No issues with either.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That's where I am.

Today was our last day doing sight seeing stuff. Ended with Kamakura. Tomorrow is out last day so that will be a final shopping spree day. Will be going to Akiba again.

When you're back and have recovered from jet lag, can you post impressions of what you did? I think it'd be good for people to do that, help out others planning where to go and what to do,

KtSlime

That's where I am.

Today was our last day doing sight seeing stuff. Ended with Kamakura. Tomorrow is out last day so that will be a final shopping spree day. Will be going to Akiba again.

What a day to visit Kamakura, how was the festival?

Trojan X

Banned
That's where I am.

When you get back, prepare yourself to feel like crap soon as you land back in your country. It won't be nice as you will start planning when you wil come back to japan. :(

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
... Guess we missed that lol next time I go to Japan (not an if) I'll try to plan more around events now that I've seen many of the sights. Need to drink sake in a park during the cherry blossom right.

We just went to see the giant buddah. We did see a wedding though.

So I'm going to be doing a study abroad program in Ritsumeikan University in Kyoto and, in terms of what's available flight-wise, landing in Chūbu Centrair International Airport in Nagoya seems to be the best choice over Kansai International. However, I'm not at all familiar with the transportation system in Japan, so I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out the best way to get from that airport to the University. The school's website isn't very helpful because it just says, "Nagoya – 40 min. by JR Shinkansen (Bullet Train)" and I wouldn't even know where to begin once I stepped off the plane. Is it just one straight ride once I get on the train until I hit my station or does it involve changing trains at certain stations along the way? I keep picturing the Japan challenge on that one episode of Top Gear and it seems pretty daunting. Also I've never been on a train before.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member

Are you referring at Kanamara Matsuri? And this festival is today. If you don't what's about you should check google.

I'm on my way to work, so this year I can't go.

KtSlime

Are you referring at Kanamara Matsuri? And this festival is today. If you don't what's about you should check google.

I'm on my way to work, so this year I can't go.
Yes, that's the one. I thought it was Saturday, but checking the calendar I guess it is today. Some of my flat mates were thinking of going. I know what it is about but I've never been, I'm too lazy to go to Kanagawa-ken.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Yes, that's the one. I thought it was Saturday, but checking the calendar I guess it is today. Some of my flat mates were thinking of going. I know what it is about but I've never been, I'm too lazy to go to Kanagawa-ken.

You should go, i had a lot of fun every time i went there :)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Now I don't feel so stupid. We did see in the leaflet for Hasedera Temple that 08/04 is the Kambutsu-e.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Do yodabashi or similar chains have a tax free counter? Normally I've never bothered with claiming sales tax back, but with the tax increase, and the fact I might be spending around 100,000!yen, is making me consider it for the first time.

Unless that then makes me liable for tax when I get back to the UK..?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Do yodabashi or similar chains have a tax free counter? Normally I've never bothered with claiming sales tax back, but with the tax increase, and the fact I might be spending around 100,000!yen, is making me consider it for the first time.

Unless that then makes me liable for tax when I get back to the UK..?
I know Tokyo Hands do.

And even at the end of my holiday I find myself raiding the pretax price over the posttax price.

KtSlime

Now I don't feel so stupid. We did see in the leaflet for Hasedera Temple that 08/04 is the Kambutsu-e.
Sorry, I get 'confused' (drunk) during hanami season and am unable to read words properly. LOL your on the other side of the country.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So I finally fixed the one thing I missed out on doing when I visited Japan 8 years ago, going to Super Potato.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
So I finally fixed the one thing I missed out on doing when I visited Japan 8 years ago, going to Super Potato.

Yeah it's a pretty cool store right? The Akiba one? I was disappointed the Famicom cart throne is gone though!

Rather overpriced compared to other stores (still better than western prices), but it's a good final destination on the trip, to pick up the rarer stuff you didn't find anywhere else.

Saya

Does anyone have experience bringing an e-cigarrete into Japan? I'm reading various information online, but nothing really clear. I want to bring mine, but I don't want to get in trouble if it is illegal or something.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Does anyone have experience bringing an e-cigarrete into Japan? I'm reading various information online, but nothing really clear. I want to bring mine, but I don't want to get in trouble if it is illegal or something.

Buy real cigarettes instead. Hopes are only ¥220 a pack ( ≖‿≖)

Quick Question;

What social media that is being used for non-Real life friend communications nowadays in Japan?

I:m back in Japan for 2 months or so, have a lot of free time. Logged into my MIXI account and was extremely saddened by the fact that all the fashion events I use to go to haven:t updated their mixi in 4 years...

I know these events still take place, just don:t have a good starting off place on where to look for them... facebook pages of the parties aren't connected together in anyway.

Some wild prices in the cabinets at Super Potato but the aisles are pretty decent. Hardly any Zelda stuff right now though which is a shame.

I'd pay good money for their Sonic 2 poster!

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Quick Question;

What social media that is being used for non-Real life friend communications nowadays in Japan?

I:m back in Japan for 2 months or so, have a lot of free time. Logged into my MIXI account and was extremely saddened by the fact that all the fashion events I use to go to haven:t updated their mixi in 4 years...

I know these events still take place, just don:t have a good starting off place on where to look for them... facebook pages of the parties aren't connected together in anyway.

RIP Mixi. What do you mean by 'facebook pagies of the parties aren't connected together'? Anything fashion / party related I go to is usually promoted on their own blog and then any social media accounts they have, usually both facebook and twitter. If it's something like a big party or opening or sample sale then they'll be posted on random fashion sites as well.

Took a small trip and checked out some stuff in Shinjuku earlier today:

That ビックロ has the most annoying song jingle in the country.

histopher

Hey I just read up on the kanamara matsuri - would it be worthwhile going tonight? We could prob head out in an hour so would get there fairly late (9ish). Would anything be happening?

Desmond

So I'm going to be doing a study abroad program in Ritsumeikan University in Kyoto and, in terms of what's available flight-wise, landing in Chūbu Centrair International Airport in Nagoya seems to be the best choice over Kansai International. However, I'm not at all familiar with the transportation system in Japan, so I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out the best way to get from that airport to the University. The school's website isn't very helpful because it just says, "Nagoya – 40 min. by JR Shinkansen (Bullet Train)" and I wouldn't even know where to begin once I stepped off the plane. Is it just one straight ride once I get on the train until I hit my station or does it involve changing trains at certain stations along the way? I keep picturing the Japan challenge on that one episode of Top Gear and it seems pretty daunting. Also I've never been on a train before.

Hey, when are you going to Ritsumeikan? Two of my classmates will be studying there from September, with myself studying 30~ minutes away in Doshisha University. (Rivals lol)

I would say fly to Kansai. I would have this time but I want to go to Tokyo first, so I'll be grabbing the Shinkansen to Kyoto station.

Fritz

Regarding the Shinkansen - and train services in general - can I just get a ticket and take the next train or do I have to get a ticket in advance. Like, do they stop selling tickets when the seats are gone?

Only 2 weeks, guys!

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Regarding the Shinkansen - and train services in general - can I just get a ticket and take the next train or do I have to get a ticket in advance. Like, do they stop selling tickets when the seats are gone?

Only 2 weeks, guys!

'train services in general' being inner city ones or going from city to city? Anyway shinkasen has reserved cars for tickets bought in advance but you can buy them at a station and wait there IIRC.

Yeah, Shinkansen is reserved seat only, but you can get a ticket and usually take the next train - except for really busy connections, e.g. Friday evening or Golden Week.

If you're going to Osaka, input this in Google Maps: 自家製太麺 ドカ盛 マッチョ 難波千日前, 中央区日本橋2-7-22 Osaka, Ōsaka-fu

Follow the directions, go inside and order the normal ramen with garlic and big noodles. OMG.

Also, went out to Minoh today with my wife and walked to the falls. Absolutely beautiful. Then went to Minoh Brewery, got a personal tour and had a few beers on tap. Off to Tokyo in the morning.

hwalker84

Only 2 weeks, guys!

I always walked into the JR booth flashed my Green pass told them where I was going and got on the next train.

Top Bottom