• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

histopher

In Osaka and I've got a couple questions...

So I see a tonne of dweeby looking dudes out on the street each night. Are they male prostitutes?

Are the girls out there the same?

The amount is staggering and I rarely see anyone walk away with them. Also hard for me to believe as these guys are barely guys at all. I know they dig an effeminate man here but this is ridiculous. Oh and what is Infomen?

I also saw two kittens tied up near the running man the other night. They had food water and litter but it seemed pretty cruel. I dont know how long they were out there. There was a sign with them and somewhere to throw money into.

Really love it but jeez some shady stuff goes on.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So I see a tonne of dweeby looking dudes out on the street each night. Are they male prostitutes?

Are the girls out there the same?

The amount is staggering and I rarely see anyone walk away with them. Also hard for me to believe as these guys are barely guys at all. I know they dig an effeminate man here but this is ridiculous. Oh and what is Infomen?
Men in suits? They may just be trying to get you to come to the host or hostess clubs. In Fukuoka our hotel was just down the road from a street full of them so every night we'd end up having to walk past them. Being white made for a perfect shield since talking is part of the deal they don't want to bother with someone who is unlikely to speak Japanese.

The girls in long coats and tall boots with nothing in between were most likely prostitutes.

hwalker84

I'm flying to Japan this Sunday.

IM FREAKING OUT

FREAKING OUT

ヽ༼ ಠ益ಠ ༽ノ

I was too.

It went:
Good freaking out before I left
Good freaking out when I arrived
Then it was freaking out that I'm alone in a foreign country
Then good freaking out at how amazing the trip is
Then it was freaking out when I had to go home

Wife and I fly out tonight at 7:30pm. This will be our third time there, but first time since our two-year-old daughter was born. She'll be staying with my parents for the next ten days. She adores my parents and will be fine, but I'm a bit of a wreck this morning.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
if any of you guys want to join this bunch on Hanami:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noqNu0u0uco

Even more reason to avoid Yoyogi Park ( ≖‿≖) ~ ~ ~

Wife and I fly out tonight at 7:30pm. This will be our third time there, but first time since our two-year-old daughter was born. She'll be staying with my parents for the next ten days. She adores my parents and will be fine, but I'm a bit of a wreck this morning.

Haha cute. What gift are you going to bring back for her??

Even more reason to avoid Yoyogi Park ( ≖‿≖) ~ ~ ~

Haha cute. What gift are you going to bring back for her??

We've been telling her that "mommy and daddy will come home and bring you Totoro and Hello Kitty stuff." And she'll get something Gundam cause dad says so.

Sitting in the Delta Sky Club at SeaTac right now. Flight in two hours.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Hm just noticed the tsunami warnings on TV. I guess from the Chile earthquake? They're all just low scale 'Tsunami Advisories' at least.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Hm just noticed the tsunami warnings on TV. I guess from the Chile earthquake? They're all just low scale 'Tsunami Advisories' at least.

Yes, because the Chile earthquake.

40cm Tsunamis at the North.

Cookie18

I'm going to Osaka in a couple of weeks. I live in Korea so I'm not expected to be too overwhelmed but I was just wondering what Osaka specific things do people recommend doing?

Also not planning on seeing the whole of Japan so maybe just sticking to Osaka this time. Is that Japan Rail Pass still worth getting?

Edit: Scratch that not getting the pass. I read it as being $30 not $300.

Edit 2: What's the cheapest way to stay in Japan? Just backpacking round so cheap as possible is fine.

Men in suits? They may just be trying to get you to come to the host or hostess clubs. In Fukuoka our hotel was just down the road from a street full of them so every night we'd end up having to walk past them. Being white made for a perfect shield since talking is part of the deal they don't want to bother with someone who is unlikely to speak Japanese.

The girls in long coats and tall boots with nothing in between were most likely prostitutes.
You stayed in Fukuoka? Lucky, I definitely want to visit Hakata when I inevitably go to Japan.

scarlet

I'm going to Osaka in a couple of weeks. I live in Korea so I'm not expected to be too overwhelmed but I was just wondering what Osaka specific things do people recommend doing?

Also not planning on seeing the whole of Japan so maybe just sticking to Osaka this time. Is that Japan Rail Pass still worth getting?

Edit: Scratch that not getting the pass. I read it as being $30 not $300.

Edit 2: What's the cheapest way to stay in Japan? Just backpacking round so cheap as possible is fine.

Hostel, and buy a lot of useful pass, like osaka unlimited pass.

And it's my last night in Japan! Really had great experiences, I'll be back someday!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
We've been telling her that "mommy and daddy will come home and bring you Totoro and Hello Kitty stuff." And she'll get something Gundam cause dad says so.

Sitting in the Delta Sky Club at SeaTac right now. Flight in two hours.

going to the Gundam Museum when we're in Japan next week. Have two kids - son is 12, daughter is 9. Neither of them gives a shit about Gundam, we're going for me :p

Cookie18

What's the cheapest way to get from Osaka to Ehime? I've looked around and the cheapest seems to be actually flying ($80) which seems ludicrous so I assume I am not looking in the right places.

What websites should be used for the trains/buses and roughly how much should a trip like that be?

What's the cheapest way to get from Osaka to Ehime? I've looked around and the cheapest seems to be actually flying ($80) which seems ludicrous so I assume I am not looking in the right places.

Return trip with Peach Airlines? Yeah, that is actually the cheapest, believe it or not. Bus seems to costs $90 or more for a return trip.

CHusson91

Banned

I noticed that this morning while I was walking out the door. I thought maybe there was another earthquake around here or something.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yesterday was a wash out. Rain all day. Got to the Skytree early today and the view was non existent (they have a camera feed so you check before going up).

But now I'm in the fish market enjoying tuna.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I'm dragging my wife to Gundam Front probably on Thursday.

Hopefully she thinks it's a lame idea until she sees the big RX78 like most people I've gone with. It's a fun transformation from shittalking to すげえぇぇ〜ing

Hopefully she thinks it's a lame idea until she sees the big RX78 like most people I've gone with. It's a fun transformation from shittalking to すげえぇぇ〜ing

She's actually excited to go just to see me geek out.

In Osaka now, the apartment my wife rented is a block from Osaka Gundams in Den Den Town. Huh.

Lazlo

Yesterday was a wash out. Rain all day. Got to the Skytree early today and the view was non existent (they have a camera feed so you check before going up).

But now I'm in the fish market enjoying tuna.

Is it still like 3000+2000 to get to the very top? Didn't think it was worth it when I went, instead I went to the free observatory at the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Office.

Trojan X

Banned
LoL! Funny how this thread is being updated by those who are in Japan now as tourists instead for them to leave the internet alone and concentrate enjoying the trip. Maybe those people really appreciated this thread so they have to keep us updated? If true then that is very nice indeed.

Tsundere

Banned
LoL! Funny how this thread is being updated by those who are in Japan now as tourists instead for them to leave the internet alone and concentrate enjoying the trip. Maybe those people really appreciated this thread so they have to keep us updated? If true then that is very nice indeed.
There is downtime when you get back to the hotel!

Downtime on trains, back at the apartment, etc.

scarlet

Only post when i have time,

Can't post pics. On mobile :(

Trojan X

Banned
There is downtime when you get back to the hotel!

Dude. When I first came to Japan, my downtime at a hotel was strictly sleeping and I slept very little too because there are many things to do outside. That's me though.

Anyhow, I am loving the update you are providing and I live in Japan too.

I'm headed to Japan this May-June. The previous two times I've been there, it's been in October/November, which were generally good times from a weather perspective. I'm not sure what to expect in May-June. Hopefully it won't be too unbearably hot.

When I go I'll be visiting Tokyo, Kyoto (maybe), Osaka, Fukuoka, and I'll also take the ferry over to South Korea for a week or so. I'm not a Japan expert, but this will be my third time going, so I know what to expect for the most part. We'll be there for about a month.

This all being said, is there anything I should know, or anything you recommend? I'll be staying with friends in most of the places there, and doing hotels infrequently.

I can't wait to go back. Japan is one of my favorite places in the world. The only thing I hate about Japan is the flight over there, which is pretty unbearable in coach. So with that in mind, I splurged on first class/business class seating coming and going. I just thought it was worth it considering my last two experiences in coach. I didn't spend much for the first class tickets. I know they go for like $12k-20k online, but I know how to do it so it's much more reasonable.

kmax

I was there on vacation last year (October).

I already miss it. I can't wait to go back. If I'm lucky, I'll be returning in 2015.

I can't wait to go back. Japan is one of my favorite places in the world. The only thing I hate about Japan is the flight over there, which is pretty unbearable in coach. So with that in mind, I splurged on first class/business class seating coming and going. I just thought it was worth it considering my last two experiences in coach. I didn't spend much for the first class tickets. I know they go for like $12k-20k online, but I know how to do it so it's much more reasonable.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get first class tickets for? They were insanely priced when I looked and even my coach tickets cost me about $1500.

Tsundere

Banned
Dude. When I first came to Japan, my downtime at a hotel was strictly sleeping and I slept very little too because there are many things to do outside. That's me though.

Anyhow, I am loving the update you are providing and I live in Japan too.
Well I slept about... 5 hours max a day there. I had the portable wifi as well... I was constantly sharing my pictures with friends and family. Never disconnected! (Except in the mountain onsen in Kyoto)

cool, I expect a nice pic dump. :D I need to feed my wanderlust for japan. you obviously don't have to post all of them here, a link will suffice.

Haha. I'll share some pics. I'm going to some places that might not be interesting for people in this thread. I'll post some pics in other threads too though...

I'm not going because I just started a new job, but my wife is going to Japan! To see her family. And taking our 9-month old daughter to go meet grandpa for the first time. So, that sounds like a fun 14 hours on a plane for them and everyone else flying with them.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Is it still like 3000+2000 to get to the very top? Didn't think it was worth it when I went, instead I went to the free observatory at the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Office.
I suggested going to the observatory before we even set off for Japan, but friend was keen to go up. We managed to do so earlier today. Got there early so we only had to queue for 15 minutes. Didn't bother going to the extra bit. That had a 50 minute queue by the time we were leaving.

KtSlime

The sakura on Nakano-dori near home, they are all somei yoshino. Anyone know where to see some kanzan or ichiyo in Tokyo?

KtSlime

Ueno for both.

Thanks, I'll have to check more thoroughly next time I go.

I forgot to post the picture.

x0OkJtwl.jpg

Top Bottom