• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Rich!

I want to go to Japan and walk to the summit of Mt. Fuji, preferably during spring. If bloody Karl Pilkington can do it, I can.

Flight costs aren't an issue as I get heavily discounted flights anywhere in the world courtesy of British Airways (grandfather was an exec). So it's just finding a suitable time, and raising the spending/hotel funds. Hopefully next year.

I want to go to Japan and walk to the summit of Mt. Fuji, preferably during spring. If bloody Karl Pilkington can do it, I can.

Flight costs aren't an issue as I get heavily discounted flights anywhere in the world courtesy of British Airways (grandfather was an exec). So it's just finding a suitable time, and raising the spending/hotel funds. Hopefully next year.

Climbing season for Fuji is only like late June to early September. In Spring it would be covered in snow and very dangerous.

Raide

haha well fine then, around September time.

Spring was a guess - I haven't looked into it much, I just like the idea.

Certain times of the year the weather can be so varied that you might start climbing in good weather and then it could turn nasty. Especially so for Spring time.

End of the season will still be very humid, so dress correctly and get your stuff together but the higher you go, things can still change, so be prepared if you plan on getting to the summit.

Plenty of information out there on the best times but peak season also means busy and more expensive.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I'd argue you can do Kyoto in a day - it's beautiful but when i came her back in 1998 i did a 4 day stint in Kyoto and it was waaaay too temple/garden overkill.

I'd say if you can spend a day and night here then you are good to go

That said, it's great if you want to go and relax somewhere - but i think that is because sometimes i need to get away from the speed of Tokyo but as a holiday? If i had two days in Kyoto i'd trade one day for a day in Osaka in a heartbeat

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Looking around some of these places I could see myself wanting to come back to take my time to enjoy things rather than going through as much as possible in a day.

matt360

How far is Miyajima from Osaka? It's on my list for next year.

Miyajima is in Hiroshima, which is just a bit over an hour from Osaka by shinkansen. But then once you get to Hiroshima Station, you'll need to transfer to the normal JR Sanyo Line and head toward Miyajima, which is maybe a little under 30 mins. If you are based in Osaka, you could easily do Miyajima and the Peace Park in a day and then head back to Osaka that evening. That is, assuming you come really early.

I thought icoca was just suica now.

Also Ichiran sucks deal with it ( ≖‿≖)

Nope, Icoca is still Icoca, at least it is here in Hiroshima.

And your opinion on Ichiran is insane. You are literally the only person I have ever heard to make that claim. You are like the Armond White of ramen. I don't doubt that you know a place that you consider to be superior, but Ichiran is fantastic and it is basically a must for every new visitor. It's cheap, it provides an interesting and novel dining experience, and the ramen itself is incredibly delicious.

Is it wise to plan the first trip to Japan from mid to the end of August?
I read that it is the hottest and of the rainiest months.

Not rainiest, but certainly the hottest and muggiest. I'm sure that people coming in August can still have a great time, but it would be wise to temper your expectations about the weather and come prepared. And it's not the heat that will get you, it's the humidity. I think I mentioned it in this thread, but I was born and raised in Florida, which is pretty much the hottest and most humid state in the US, and I find August in Japan to be absolutely miserable. This is mostly due to the fact that you walk a lot more in Japan than you do in the states, and also because most buildings are poorly insulated and don't use much a/c. Good for the environment, but bad for comfort. If you anticipate that you'll be drenched in sweat and maybe bring an extra shirt in your bag or something then you should be alright though.

Oh, and they sell these wipes at convenience stores called Gatsby (I recommend the Ice Type, which has menthol), which are basically wet wipes to wipe your face with. They feel great in the summer.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
And your opinion on Ichiran is insane. You are literally the only person I have ever heard to make that claim. You are like the Armond White of ramen. I don't doubt that you know a place that you consider to be superior, but Ichiran is fantastic and it is basically a must for every new visitor. It's cheap, it provides an interesting and novel dining experience, and the ramen itself is incredibly delicious.

Haha well, I was sort of kidding I don't really think it's bad, just nothing particularly special. I guess if an ichiran appeared in most places outside of Japan, it would be notably superior to other places wherever it was situated, but I don't get the constant praise for it while people are here. It seems more like people go there while visiting based of recommendations, it's better than what they're used to, and the recommendations continue based on that rather than people going to a handful of places and ichiran being the best out of those.

Anyway I don't even like ramen that much so ┐(´ー`)┌ !

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I'll be in Osaka on Friday and Tokyo next Monday. :-/

Might as well not even come IMO.

Kidding I'm sure it will be fine. Just not as fine. I wonder what kind of difference a few days makes anyway. I don't really care about sakura but was going to go Tokyo this weekend for things when like 3 people said 'no come earlier to hanami!!!'

Not sure how much better Thursday is over Saturday but I'll see.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Dat sakura just by our office...

BkBg_cGCQAA_eSt.jpg

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Lovely sakura here in Kyoto. It was really good in Kumamoto as well last week.

Also the bloody Kumamon. He's bloody everywhere! I thought I would escape his stare once I left the Fukuoka area, but no, he haunts me in Osaka too!

Guru-Guru

Banned
So if I took a domestic flight from Okayama to Haneda airport, how much time should I leave to get to Narita airport for an international flight? Just from looking it up, it seems that the actual travel time between the 2 airports is 60-90 minutes. I'm kind of lost on how long it would take to pick up luggage from Haneda, catch a train or shuttle bus between the 2 airports, then check in and go through customs at Narita. Any rough estimates?

Edit: I'm trying to figure out the best way to get my Dad and brother back to Narita airport from Okayama at the end of their trip. I won't be going with them the last day, as I can't take off work. They don't speak any Japanese. Initially I didn't realize that they can't fly from Okayama directly to Narita...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hmm, I can't make those dates because I have uni at this time. :(

We've nearly always gone around Easter and Christmas school holidays for that reason. Went once during the summer and it was oppressive. Didn't help that my parents' holiday home in Hakone had the bloody aircon broken :p

scottnak

Just came back from a killer day trip out to Osaka & Nara... (home base is Kyoto)

Kinkakuji -> Kiyomizu -> Nara Park -> TodaiJi (With the Big Buddha) -> Osaka Castle (only got to see the outside, too late to get in) -> Dotonbori

Legs are dead \o/

Take your time in enjoying these places if possible red_13th!

scarlet

On the 8th days, my feet already strong enough lol.

Man, this hostel is dissapointing (not gonna give name publicly)

Just got back, and no sheets for my pillow and bed, and they only have one plug on the bottom bed. Booooooo

We've nearly always gone around Easter and Christmas school holidays for that reason. Went once during the summer and it was oppressive. Didn't help that my parents' holiday home in Hakone had the bloody aircon broken :p

Well it will be Tokyo and Sapporo if this changes anything. I heard that the temperature on Hokkaido is supposed to be similar to Scandinavia.

KtSlime

Just got back, and no sheets for my pillow and bed, and they only have one plug on the bottom bed. Booooooo

This is fairly standard. Stop by Don Quixote and pick up a futon cover set, a cheap one shouldn't cost more than 3000 yen. You don't want to be sleeping on someone else's sheets anyway.

histopher

Checked out Osaka castle today, really enjoyed the park with all the cherry blossoms. Such a beautiful area I cant recommend enough. The best part of the castle is the view.

Wondering what we should do out of Abeno Harukas and the Osaka Sky Tower...if anyone can help.

Saya

Can you PM me the name please? Not the same one I will stay in I hope haha..

red13th

Just came back from a killer day trip out to Osaka & Nara... (home base is Kyoto)

Kinkakuji -> Kiyomizu -> Nara Park -> TodaiJi (With the Big Buddha) -> Osaka Castle (only got to see the outside, too late to get in) -> Dotonbori

Legs are dead \o/

Take your time in enjoying these places if possible red_13th!

Taking notes, thanks!
We're staying 5 days in Osaka (hotel is right next to Dotonbori) and we're thinking of doing Osaka 2 days (because food!), Kyoto 1 day, Nara 1 day and Hiroshima with Miyajima 1 day.

Looking around some of these places I could see myself wanting to come back to take my time to enjoy things rather than going through as much as possible in a day.

That was the feeling I had too.

And now looking at my current plans... I will have to go back yet another time orz

scarlet

It's fine.
The already apologized, it just pissed me off. I was tired and have to make my bed and there's no sheet and told them, and they said impossible, i have to rechecked again and finally they gave me the sheets. And then I realized there was no pillow case too, and some of the guests were drunk and loud.

Lazlo

Taking notes, thanks!
We're staying 5 days in Osaka (hotel is right next to Dotonbori) and we're thinking of doing Osaka 2 days (because food!), Kyoto 1 day, Nara 1 day and Hiroshima with Miyajima 1 day.

Osaka was my "base camp" for one of the weeks I was there and I spent about 1.5 days in the city. Should have set aside 2 days for Kyoto - there was still lots left to see even after a full day (Climbing to the top of Fushimi Inari in 26c 90%+ humidity took longer than expected). Spent a whole day in Nara (lots of forest to explore, Todaiji Temple, Kasuga Shrine, getting chased by deer for cookies) and train time to and from shin osaka station eats 1 hour each way.

Also spent a day at Hiroshima but could have used another half day to see more. Miyajima took a day (Train there, ferry, look around sea level, visit Itsukushima Shrine, then cable car up, lunch, climb to top while avoiding giant asian hornets, then back down, souvenir shop and head to Osaka) but maybe you can do more when it isn't 30c+ weather like it was when I was there.

leroidys

I'm trying to make plans for accommodations for my trip... does $48/night for 2 people in Katsushika sound like a good deal? Also, I'm going to be in Japan for 3 weeks, does 5 days sound like a reasonable amount of time to be in Tokyo, or should I plan for more? Thanks for any input!

Guru-Guru

Banned
Anybody have a rough idea how far in advance reserved seats on the Shinkansen sell out for Golden Week? I probably won't be able to go to a JR station until next week to buy them...Will that be fine?

scarlet

I'm trying to make plans for accommodations for my trip... does $48/night for 2 people in Katsushika sound like a good deal? Also, I'm going to be in Japan for 3 weeks, does 5 days sound like a reasonable amount of time to be in Tokyo, or should I plan for more? Thanks for any input!

I'm on my 5th day in Tokyo, i think it's enough

Anybody have a rough idea how far in advance reserved seats on the Shinkansen sell out for Golden Week? I probably won't be able to go to a JR station until next week to buy them...Will that be fine?

I don't think you can reserve seat for golden week

Guru-Guru

Banned
I'm on my 5th day in Tokyo, i think it's enough

I don't think you can reserve seat for golden week
I just took a hour train ride to a station with a JR kiosk and reserved my tickets for May 2nd--so yes you can reserve in advance for Golden Week. Not sure what the deal with the JR rail pass is though, as I live here.

SKINNER!

Banned
Uh oh! Thanks for that I didnt know. My work mates are going to be so jealous!

No worries dude ;) Good place for craft beers and it's Scottish so you know it'll be great :p

Woo! So happy right now!

Because of my travel buddy's finances, we were just going to hang out in Tokyo during our entire time in Japan but she told me yesterday that she got some overtime sorted so now she can pick up a JR Pass and one night in a Kyoto hostel. She really wants to dress up a geisha and get her picture taken in a studio and - apparently - the only good places that do it is in Kyoto. Meh, all I'm interested in is visiting my deer friends in Nara and finally exploring Hiroshima and itsukushima jinjya :D Hopefully get to stop by in Osaka since it's close. Zomg, so excite for this trip now!!

m3r4

Dufter Typ taking lurking to the next level
My favourite temples in Kyoto were the Ginkakuji (heading there on the Philosopher's Walk is a nice touch, especially in the morning) and Suzumushidera. The latter is situated on the outskirts of Kyoto、but definitely worth the trip. If you know Japanese, it's even nicer since you'll get to sit down, drink tea and eat sweets while a monk gives you little pieces of advice for your everyday life. The atmosphere is really relaxed, a stark contrast to the Kinkakuji and Kiyomizudera...

Oh, and visit the Tohoku region too, people! So many beautiful places in Yamagata, Miyagi and Aomori!

Miyajima is in Hiroshima, which is just a bit over an hour from Osaka by shinkansen. But then once you get to Hiroshima Station, you'll need to transfer to the normal JR Sanyo Line and head toward Miyajima, which is maybe a little under 30 mins. If you are based in Osaka, you could easily do Miyajima and the Peace Park in a day and then head back to Osaka that evening. That is, assuming you come really early.

Awesome, thanks for the info! I was thinking I'd probably spend a night there and also going to Himeji Castle on the way.

Went to Ueno Park today, so many cherry blossoms, love it

Jealous...I don't think I'll ever be able to go during the spring time.

hwalker84

Awesome, thanks for the info! I was thinking I'd probably spend a night there and also going to Himeji Castle on the way.

One thing to note about Himeji Castle is it's currently in its 5 year renovation period and the main tower is completely closed. They did build scaffolding around it which you can take a tour of that. It's one of the first places i want to go as soon as it's finished.

Top Bottom