• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Yeah, the tour already has 4 nights in Kyoto. It just so happens that Osaka is the tour's departure point.

Does the tour include visiting Nara in the days spent at Kyoto? You should definitely set aside a half-day for that. Osaka proper may not offer too much for you depending on what you have done on your trip up to that point. The standout is probably going to be its cuisine.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2157.html

Quixzlizx

Does the tour include visiting Nara in the days spent at Kyoto? You should definitely set aside a half-day for that. Osaka proper may not offer too much for you depending on what you have done on your trip up to that point. The standout is probably going to be its cuisine.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2157.html

There is an optional tour to Nara while in Kyoto that goes to Todaiji Temple and Kasuga Shinto Shrine, with a visit to Fushimi.

hwalker84

Guys I'm thinking about going back already. I'll be disappointed in myself if I go back in September (Tokyo Game Show and UFC event) because I said next time I go back ill be able to hold a small conversation. That wont happen if I go back in 3 months.

scarlet

Guys I'm thinking about going back already. I'll be disappointed in myself if I go back in September (Tokyo Game Show and UFC event) because I said next time I go back ill be able to hold a small conversation. That wont happen if I go back in 3 months.

Yeah same here, I'm thinking about exploring the northern part in winter or Kyoto/Tokyo again next fall.

hitsugi

As someone who realized his pre-trip studies were worthless last year, I told myself the same thing. Looks like it'll have to be next year for me D:

I'm going to Japan for a three week round trip. I currently only own an iPhone 5s as a camera and thought about buying a real one, like a Canon Coolpix P530. Is it worth it?

SKINNER!

Banned
I'm going to Japan for a three week round trip. I currently only own an iPhone 5s as a camera and thought about buying a real one, like a Canon Coolpix P530. Is it worth it?

Akiba is a tax free area. If you find one at a good price then go for it. I had no intentions of buying a good watch when I was there but I was lured by the tax free shops.

Does anyone know any decent batting centres/cages in Tokyo and when's the best/quietest times to visit them? I wouldn't practising my swing next week.

No, I meant buying a camera before travelling there. It's my first longer trip, thus I wanted to take some good pictures, which comparatively the iPhone probably can't.
On the other side I'm thinking about if it's too much of an effort to carry a camera around.

SKINNER!

Banned
Ah right. You'll definitely want to take the best pictures you can when you're over there. It's a gorgeous picturesque country and if you're just an amateur photographer like myself then what better way to start using a new good camera than in Japan. I doubt you'll regret it. Thing is though, you'll need to find the right camera for you in terms of portability. Some people can put up with carrying them around their necks but I just feel it makes me look too touristy. Rather than getting a massive SLR or a pricey Leica camera (wish I could get one) I settled for a Lumix TZ20 couple of years ago. Takes great shots, get a decent zoom compared to traditional point/click cameras and can fit easily in my pocket or backpack without any effort or worries. All of my pictures I posted here were taken with that camera.

Personally, I think iPhone cameras are decent (compared to other phones) and should do the job but if you want some decent hardware then go for it and leave the phone camera for food pics ;) Go for it if you can.

No, I meant buying a camera before travelling there. It's my first longer trip, thus I wanted to take some good pictures, which comparatively the iPhone probably can't.
On the other side I'm thinking about if it's too much of an effort to carry a camera around.

You'll regret it if you don't think your camera is up to scratch. That said, while I did lug a DSLR around on my last trip, I found the bulk of it to be a bit of a pain. I've since bought a Sony NEX-3N because of its small size, and I'm loving it so far.

This is coming from a guy who hasn't messed with non-kit lenses, so there might be better options if you're not using what's in the box.

ajim

http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/pocketwifi.html

Just fill a form out online, pay, and then you can pick it up from the airport when you arrive.

Personally pocket wi-fi is a must have.

I'm sorry to be a pain guys.

But which is better or easier or preferred? Global Advanced (http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/order/index.html#contract) or Japan Wireless (http://japan-wireless.com/order.html)? I leave for Japan next Tuesday so I need to get it sorted but I've been super busy with work I haven't had time to think.

And whats better to get the emobile 42mps 3g unlimited or the PocketWifi 75MBPS from globaladvancedcomm? I'm leaning towards the Japan Wirelss (Bmobile) 42mps 3g unlimited just because it stipulates unlimited?

Also, I can't find on the website where it says to pick it up at Narita airport? Is it difficult to find?

Sorry for being a pain.. but I'm approaching my most unorganised holiday ever in 5 days and am all over the shop!

Hagi

anyone have any opinions on the JR Pass? we're heading to Tokyo in like two weeks for ten nights with one of those in Kyoto. Checking prices for two to Kyoto and back it seems like getting the Pass would be cheaper and given that we will be constantly using the Yamamote line seems like the best option.

hwalker84

But which is better or easier or preferred? Global Advanced (http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/order/index.html#contract) or Japan Wireless (http://japan-wireless.com/order.html)? I leave for Japan next Tuesday so I need to get it sorted but I've been super busy with work I haven't had time to think.

And whats better to get the emobile 42mps 3g unlimited or the PocketWifi 75MBPS from globaladvancedcomm? I'm leaning towards the Japan Wirelss (Bmobile) 42mps 3g unlimited just because it stipulates unlimited?

Also, I can't find on the website where it says to pick it up at Narita airport? Is it difficult to find?

Sorry for being a pain.. but I'm approaching my most unorganised holiday ever in 5 days and am all over the shop!
You aren't being a pain that's what this thread is for. Unfortunately I cannot give you any information. My pocket wifi sucked! It only lasted 30-60 minutes and used mini usb which was really hard to find in japan to use with my battery backup.

Both use the B-Mobile network, so coverage should be the same. The 42 MBPS device got a 4 hour battery (looks like you get an emergency charger as well, so 8 hours if you get that) and the 75 MBPS got a 10 hour battery. Are you gonna download/upload enough stuff to use up the 10GByte high speed data limit on the 75MBPS device?

I got mine from GAC and it worked fine for me.

The pickup location is the post office at Narita (it's the same for GAC):
http://japan-wireless.com/narita-map.html

There's one at each terminal so make sure you get it delivered/go to the correct one.

You aren't being a pain that's what this thread is for. Unfortunately I cannot give you any information. My pocket wifi sucked! It only lasted 30-60 minutes and used mini usb which was really hard to find in japan to use with my battery backup.

Heh. Mine actually worked for the 10 hours advertised when fully charged. Only ran out of battery once on the whole trip, but then I had been out for more than 10 hours without turning it off.

Get an unlimited one - 42mbps is completely fine. Make sure you turn it off when you're not using it - the battery won't last long if you're using it constantly.
Mine came with a spare battery and a charging cable, but I'd brought my own two - one big one to keep in a bag and a smaller one which fit in a pocket alongside my phone/wifi. Also nice for charging in your hotel if you don't have enough power adapters for everything.

SKINNER!

Banned
anyone have any opinions on the JR Pass? we're heading to Tokyo in like two weeks for ten nights with one of those in Kyoto. Checking prices for two to Kyoto and back it seems like getting the Pass would be cheaper and given that we will be constantly using the Yamamote line seems like the best option.

If you plan on frequently using the Yamamote line and are going to Kyoto then it's definitely worth it. From what I recall, I think one single way train trip to Kyoto costs about half the amount of a JR Pass...so yeah, with access to almost anywhere in Japan, the JR Pass is good value for money if you plan on using it a lot during 7 or 14 days (Depending on what ticket you purchase).

That's what I'm doing anyway...

100% worthwhile, it's really useful for getting around on the Yamanote and costs about the same as a return ticket. Just made sure you get the right train to Kyoto as the JR Pass has a few you can't use it on. Use the Hyperdia app to find times, it's got an option which only shows trains you'll get on with the pass.

Hagi

If you plan on frequently using the Yamamote line and are going to Kyoto then it's definitely worth it. From what I recall, I think one single way train trip to Kyoto costs about half the amount of a JR Pass...so yeah, with access to almost anywhere in Japan, the JR Pass is good value for money if you plan on using it a lot during 7 or 14 days (Depending on what ticket you purchase).

That's what I'm doing anyway...

100% worthwhile, it's really useful for getting around on the Yamanote and costs about the same as a return ticket. Just made sure you get the right train to Kyoto as the JR Pass has a few you can't use it on. Use the Hyperdia app to find times, it's got an option which only shows trains you'll get on with the pass.

Yeah it seemed to be easily the best option for us. Last year we were on the Yamamote Line practically every day so we'll definitely be saving money.

Question though can we use the pass to get back to Narita via the Nex? We don't plan on activating the pass till the day we go to Kyoto so i wasn't sure. The way we are planning things the pass would run out on our last day.

You're arriving at Narita, yeah? The JR Pass covers the NEX train from Narita to Tokyo, so: NEX one way = 3000 JPY + TOKYO-KYOTO return trip = 13600 * 2 JPY = 30200 JPY each. The JR Pass costs 29110 JPY for a 7 day pass.

Edit:
Question though can we use the pass to get back to Narita via the Nex? We don't plan on activating the pass till the day we go to Kyoto so i wasn't sure. The way we are planning things the pass would run out on our last day.

Yeah. It works on the NEX.

jae

I've been using Global Advanced for a few years now, I absolutely recommend them. I'm using mine to type this, as a matter of fact. You'll pick it up at the post office on the 4th floor, very easy to find.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Anyone in Tokyo from July 13-19? I'll be there alone so if anyone wants to meet up for a beer or activity that would be nice.

Hagi

You're arriving at Narita, yeah? The JR Pass covers the NEX train from Narita to Tokyo, so: NEX one way = 3000 JPY + TOKYO-KYOTO return trip = 13600 * 2 JPY = 30200 JPY each. The JR Pass costs 29110 JPY for a 7 day pass.

Edit:

Yeah. It works on the NEX.

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous value for money so I'm definitely going with it and two Nex one way for when we arrive. Thanks a lot for the help folks! :D

JulianImp

I've signed up for showcasing a game of mine at the TGS, and it seems they'll let me know if I got in on the first half of July. Still, I've been doing some research on getting yens in my country, estimating travel/living expenses and all that. I wonder if many other GAFfers will be visiting the TGS...

If I get in, I intend to stay there for three or four weeks, and will probably go visit Kyoto for a few days to meet up with some people from the local games industry. I'm thinking I'll be arriving to Japan at least a week before the TGS in order to get accustomed to the twelve-hour timezone difference, but I'm still not sure where the TGS will fit in my schedule.

Even though I've been studying japanese for about two years now, I'm also in the same position as you, not actually knowing enough vocabulary and grammar to handle a your typical conversation with enough fluency. I'd be happy with understanding some basic stuff to get around, at the very least, and I guess that's not entirely out of the question yet (hopefully).

So, talking about food, what kind of costs should I keep in mind for a day's worth of meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner)? I'm okay with eating typical dishes, so I probably won't be eating much western food. Also, fancy meals aren't out of the question, but I'd probably like to keep my meal budget balanced towards the low side without being a total cheap-ass, either.

So, talking about food, what kind of costs should I keep in mind for a day's worth of meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner)? I'm okay with eating typical dishes, so I probably won't be eating much western food. Also, fancy meals aren't out of the question, but I'd probably like to keep my meal budget balanced towards the low side without being a total cheap-ass, either.

Well, I spent from 1500 to 5000 JPY each day when I went earlier this year. I didn't have lunch though, but add ~ 1000 JPY extra for lunch on average?

JulianImp

Well, I spent from 1500 to 5000 JPY each day when I went earlier this year. I didn't have lunch though, but add ~ 1000 JPY extra for lunch on average?

Oh, that's good to know! I guess that's quite reasonable for my budget, but I guess I'll have to look into what kind of places are good for cheap meals and which are fancier while still being affordable. I've heard from my japanese teacher that bentos sold on convenience stores are relatively cheap and serviceable.

For lodging, I've been checking that cheap rooms cost about 2000¥ per night, but I'd love to hear what a sensible price range would be according to you guys, since I don't want to cheap-out to the point I end up loathing the time I'll be spending on hotels or hostels. I'll probably staying at a ryokan at least once, as well, so I'd also like to know which notable ones I should be looking into.

While I've looked into the whole budget side of things, I don't know what I should be doing during the month I'll be spending there... At the very least, I will be visiting Tokyo for the TGS and Kyoto for meeting up with other people, but I guess I'll have enough time to visit other places; which ones would you recommend on September?

A nuisance I've learned about is that, while I could go to Japan via Europe, the fastest way would be to go Buenos Aires Argentina > Los Angeles, USA > Narita, JP. However, it seems I'd have to apply for a US visa despite not leaving the airport, which is a bit of a hassle and costs some money up-front (the Japanese government doesn't require Argentine citizens to get a JP visa, though). If any non-US GAFfers have ever had to deal with this, or if there's a way to avoid having to get a US visa for simply stepping on the LA airport during transfer, please let me know.

I'm sorry for asking oh so many questions, but as I've said, I've only began looking into the whole trip thing once I heard Sony offered to cover the exposition costs of indie developers that wanted to attend the TGS, so I haven't actually gathered that much information about the trip yet.

For lodging, I've been checking that cheap rooms cost about 2000¥ per night, but I'd love to hear what a sensible price range would be according to you guys, since I don't want to cheap-out to the point I end up loathing the time I'll be spending on hotels or hostels. I'll probably staying at a ryokan at least once, as well, so I'd also like to know which notable ones I should be looking into.

Hm... If you're gonna spend most of the time in Tokyo and you're staying for a whole month you could check out a share house. Something like http://www.sakura-house.com

2000 JPY a night seems... low.

JulianImp

Hm... If you're gonna spend most of the time in Tokyo and you're staying for a whole month you could check out a share house. Something like http://www.sakura-house.com

2000 JPY a night seems... low.

Alright, I've bookmarked the site. Once I've worked out where I'll be going, I'll decide whether the monthly payment is worth it, but it does seem like it's really, really cheap compared to paying the equivalent stay in hotel rooms. However, I checked the FAQ out and I didn't find anything about having the option of going out for a week during the middle of my stay and then going back (I guess that wouldn't be allowed, right?), or if my best choice would be either going to Kyoto and other locations first, and then check into a house at Tokyo and tell them in advance that I'll be forefeiting the spare days I'd have for the month.

If I'm not staying at these kind of places and 2000¥/night seems way too cheap for you, how much should I be prepared to spend for a night at a two or three-star hotel or relatively decent hostel, and how much for a night at a ryokan?

My recommendation, no tours, make friends as they will be your guide and are often happy to do so. I have made life long friends this way, they would often visit me in the States and we would reciprocate hospitality.

Once you get the lay of the land go wandering, I found this was the most fun for me. Try to get out of Tokyo/Osaka, so many others places you can go. Obviously going to these places is a must, just make sure you hit everywhere else.

However, I checked the FAQ out and I didn't find anything about having the option of going out for a week during the middle of my stay and then going back (I guess that wouldn't be allowed, right?), or if my best choice would be either going to Kyoto and other locations first, and then check into a house at Tokyo and tell them in advance that I'll be forefeiting the spare days I'd have for the month.

If I'm not staying at these kind of places and 2000¥/night seems way too cheap for you, how much should I be prepared to spend for a night at a two or three-star hotel or relatively decent hostel, and how much for a night at a ryokan?

You can leave the room for a week if you still pay for it, but you can't get the money back then. It's better to go to Kyoto first or after, not in the middle of the stay.

Decent hostel should be ~3500 JPY or so? Decent hotel at least ~ 6000 JPY I'd think.

These prices seem insanely low. Am I missing something?

It's monthly rental if it's the Sakura House prices you're thinking about.

So, I quit my job, today I'm gonna check how to issue my passport and book a flight for august to Tokyo, after that I'm kinda open to suggestions as to where to go. How hot is Japan in summer btw

some general guidelines, like which airport is best to get out off and best area to look for hostels

So, I quit my job, today I'm gonna check how to issue my passport and book a flight for august to Tokyo, after that I'm kinda open to suggestions as to where to go. How hot is Japan in summer btw

some general guidelines, like which airport is best to get out off and best area to look for hostels

It's hot and humid in the summer. Mostly horrible:

The weather + comiket in that weather though, sickening.

August and Comiket? I wish you good luck!

Although I can't really recommend going in the summertime. If you do, you absolutely must wear a hat, have loads of sunscreen handy, and drink tons of fluids. Common sense, sure, but the ride is no joke in 90 degree weather with 100% humidity.

Is not 90 degree.. but it feels like 100000 :D

i HATE Japan in summer.

well I dont got a choice on the matter, I will eventually have to find a job that will prevent me to go to japan, so now or maybe only in two years time

Well, I'll say this. I'll be in Tokyo from August 12 to the 19th, so if you're looking for someone to grab a beer with or something, let me know.

SKINNER!

Banned
Today was the start of cool-biz at work. So glad to not have to wear my jacket and tie to work, makes the heat and humidity not so bad.

Sweet! Weather today seems dry too.

Probably a long shot but anyone know a cinema in Tokyo that will show Ghost in the Shell Arise 3 with English subtitles? Wouldn't mind watching it on the big screen.

KtSlime

Sweet! Weather today seems dry too.

Probably a long shot but anyone know a cinema in Tokyo that will show Ghost in the Shell Arise 3 with English subtitles? Wouldn't mind watching it on the big screen.

Shibuya/Shinjuku? I can't find a place with English subtitles, sorry.

https://www.google.co.jp/search?cli...東京都新宿区&ei=qVSzU-CBHM248gXK_IGQCQ&ved=0CBcQwAM

I see it's playing at Shinjuku Baruto 9, and Shibuya TOHO Cinemas.

For future reference, cheap movie day is the 1st of the month. If you like watching movies late, many places sell seats for cheaper after 9.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
It's so hot and the weather keeps lying. Went to Tokyo on sunday anticipating rain and 24º weather, but was 100% sun and 31º

T..thanks meteorologists (._. )

KtSlime

Do they show any movies with English subtitles in Japan?
I've heard that TOHO Cinemas in Roppongi Hills sometimes have English subtitles.

Check for/ask about 英語字幕/eigo jimaku. I've never gone to that cinema so I'm not positive if it is true. I rarely go out to the movies because it is so expensive here.

MCD

Any idea how I can book for TGS? I booked my flight and hotel already but no idea on how to book TGS.

And like last year, I have absolutely no plan whatsoever but going with friends this time so kinda counting on them lol. Only thing I am extremely worried about is my Roaccutane medication. I don't know how I will manage walking dry as fuck.

You don't really need to book anything for TGS unless you can bullshit up some kind of press credentials beforehand, but that isn't really good for much.

KtSlime

You don't really need to book anything for TGS unless you can bullshit up some kind of press credentials beforehand, but that isn't really good for much.

Yeah, probably not.

Any idea how I can book for TGS? I booked my flight and hotel already but no idea on how to book TGS.

And like last year, I have absolutely no plan whatsoever but going with friends this time so kinda counting on them lol. Only thing I am extremely worried about is my Roaccutane medication. I don't know how I will manage walking dry as fuck.

There's really nothing to do, just show up on the general admissions day and pay at the door. You can buy tickets in advance and save 200¥, but it probably isn't worth the hassle.

Top Bottom