• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

I just got back from my month long stay in Japan, quiet the experience. I had a chance to visit as part of a university short term program. I lived in Numazu, Shizuoka with my lovely, lovely host family. I have to say that rather then feeling like a tourist, the time I spent there felt so normal and authentic. I did have a chance to visit Kyoto and Nara in 3 exhausting, action packed days. I'm sure you guys already know how beautiful they are. Unfortunately I only had 2 days in Tokyo and that was definitely not enough. Being someone who loves fashion, I fell in love with Harajuku, so I spent most my time there. I wish there was something similar to in back here in New York. I also liked the Meiji Shrine right across.

Other than those five days however, my days were spent hanging out with my host brothers and sister, helping out with their english or math homework while practicing my japanese. Sometimes I hit up the local arcade after school and wow, Japanese gamers are skilled (moreso than I believed). Other nights I would go out with the friends I made in university to an izakaya or karaoke. It was incredibly fun and shiiit, Japanese girls can sing!

My host mother did drive me up 2300m into Fujisan. It was nice day but unfortunately I believe the higher parts were still closed due to snow and fallen trees. My host mother was extremely supportive throughout the whole experience. We would go out shopping for food, or join her friends to eat out or have some sake. The relationship I built with this family will truly last my lifetime.

The food I had during my trip was all excellent, especially the Gyoza, Okonomiyaki, Curry and Ramen! Although I was not a biggest fan of the time my host mom tried to feed me Natto, but it was ok. I was really surprised at how cheap food was, but maybe thats only coming from someone from New York. I'm gonna miss those late night stops at the 7-11s.

Life at university was pretty standard. I had class from 8:30am-12pm, lunch break till 1 and then our class would visit local landmarks and attractions for a few hours. Some days we would be free after 12pm and I used those to make friends on campus. I was suprised at how relatively easy it was to communicate with my combined english and poor japanese skills. But what surprised me the most was the amount of spanish I ended up using on this trip. Of course maybe it was due to the fact that it was an International Relations university and my host family was part a club named Hippo Family Club. I didnt have trouble making friends and most people were really open to speaking to perhaps the only Mexican within a hundred kilometers (me). It's only been a week since I got back but I am still actively communicating everyday with my friends and host family using Line and Skype.

This was an amazing experience that I wil never forget. I hope to visit my host family again soon!

Desmond

Sounds like you had a great time. One of my friends is always singing Shizuoka's praises.

Here's some of my snaps from last year. I was based mainly in Shikoku.

Fields in Naruto, Tokushima

Tokushima City

Dōgo Onsen,one of Japan's oldest, in Matsuyama, Ehime. At day and night.

Some clock I liked at Takamatsu St.Kagawa Prefecture.

And I went to Hiroshima too. Visited the Mazda museum and factory, and Miyajima.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
One place that was surreal (well, more surreal than other parts) was Nara and its millions of deers that are so used to people. We made the mistake of buying a pack of crackers and letting several of the deers see them so we gut surrounded and they almost tried to climb us to get to the cookies. We saw one deer sticking its head into a young students open backpack and got ahold of a math book.

Desmond

One place that was surreal (well, more surreal than other parts) was Nara and its millions of deers that are so used to people. We made the mistake of buying a pack of crackers and letting several of the deers see them so we gut surrounded and they almost tried to climb us to get to the cookies. We saw one deer sticking its head into a young students open backpack and got ahold of a math book.

Hungry for some pie charts? I'm sorry. Lol.

I'll definitely visit Nara next time. :)

Well... Here's that t-shirt if anybody want to tell me what it says:
BsMXOhlIUAAGu5u.jpg

Viridian6

Hi everyone. I will be going to Tokyo university for a visit for 2 weeks. I will be able to travel in the weekends. What are some must visit places in Japan other than Kyoto?

Nara is less than an hour from Kyoto and also has lots of temples, gardens etc.

From Tokyo you can make one hour trips to Kamakura and Nikko. Kamakura has a 13m tall Buddha statue (I saw it on my trip; the detail is impressive). It's pretty much the only thing in Kamakura though. Nikko has the Tokugawa mausoleum.

If you're in an athletic mood July-August is the official season for climbing Mt Fuji...

hitsugi

Nara was definitely one of my favorite parts of Japan. It was pretty easy to kill an entire day walking around there. My wife partook in feeding the deer while I just kept my camera in hand... she did well - none really jumped on her or her bag!

I'm getting pretty excited. I fly out in a month.

Just curious, I have no real plans on Aug 15th. Is Comiket worth going to just to check it out? I'm not a manga person (not that I could read it even if I was), but is it worth it to just swing by, check it out, people watch, etc?

hwalker84

Nara was definitely one of my favorite parts of Japan. It was pretty easy to kill an entire day walking around there. My wife partook in feeding the deer while I just kept my camera in hand... she did well - none really jumped on her or her bag!

When I first got to the park a deer comes right up to me and starts chewing my shirt.

Darksol

Booked a few nights ago for November 3rd - November 12th. My hotel is in Asakusa, Tokyo, near Sensō-ji, Sumida Park, and not far from Akihabara.

Winging it for this first trip. My Japanese is intermediate, so I'm not too nervous.

Will probably stick to Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka this time around. No schedule is set in stone though. If I want to kill a day at a random temple or park, I will.

I have friends in Japan and will be meeting up with my favourite pen pal, who spent some time with me in Canada last year. I've also been invited to speak to students about Canada at Tokyo Metropolitan University, so I'll probably do that.

Obviously Akihabara (this is NeoGAF after all).

Any members of BDSM-GAF? I'd like to hit up Osaka-Jail or other kinbaku/shibari and/or S&M related bars/clubs/skeevy back alleys. Can anyone speak to past experience? (Apologies if this has already been covered, I've only read the first three pages so far.)

Oddly enough I'm even excited about things like an efficient and accurate transportation system, lol.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Complete and utter long shot, but I have a spare ticket to the super formula race at Fuji speedway on Sunday. The ticket is free. PM me if you'd like to go.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So my wife and I have been talking. We want to cross of a few major "bucket list" items before we start having kids. As such, we're thinking sometime in 2018 would be when we're ready. There are two major items we want to knock out...

In 2016, we are going to Hawaii for 10 days. In 2017, she really wanted to plan a trip to Europe. However, in talking, I told her that Europe seems neat, but it's not somewhere that I've "always wanted to go". When she asked where that place is, I told her Japan. So, I think that's something we're going to do. It will be my job to plan it, though.

I have a LOT of time, but I wanted to ask one major question as I research over the next year or so - how important is it to know Japanese? Really, I have time and could try and learn some before we go...But I would want to know to what degree I should familiarize myself with it over the next few years.

I have a LOT of time, but I wanted to ask one major question as I research over the next year or so - how important is it to know Japanese? Really, I have time and could try and learn some before we go...But I would want to know to what degree I should familiarize myself with it over the next few years.

It's not that important if you're just going on vacation and stick to the tourist spots.

matt360

It really depends on where you go in Japan. If you stick to the major cities you'll be fine with zero Japanese, but if you go out to the countryside it'll be tougher.

Of course, it never hurts to learn a little. Even studying casually, you could learn hiragana and katakana in a couple weeks. And you should probably learn how to ask things like, "Where's the restroom?" or "How much is the bus fare?" or things like that. And perhaps learn how to recognize the kanji for your destination cities or train stations. Or maybe just bring a pocket travel guide.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thanks guys - I would like to venture outside of the major cities if possible (not super rural, but places like Mt. Fuji, Hiroshima or Nagasaki, and Himeji if time permits). Given that I have a few years, I'm going to do my best to learn SOME Japanese, but I was more curious as to if I'd be OK with very little knowledge...And it sounds like I would be!

KtSlime

Nicoga3000, the burden of understanding Japanese is mostly placed on the listener. If you don't want to put much effort into studying the language you can probably get by with just a few words.

Sumimasen - use this word to get someone's attention
Gomen nasai - use this to appologize
Arigatou gozaimasu - use this to thank

Wa - word that marks the subject of the sentence

Desu ka? - sentence ending for a polite question, use these following words to as questions

Doko - where
Ikura - how much
Daijoubu - is it okay

Toire wa doko desu ka - where's the bathroom (toilet)
Ikura desu ka - how much is it?
Biza wa daijoubu desu ka - is (paying with) visa okay?

If you forget everything, you can also resort to pointing at something on paper and saying "doko", people will understand what you want.

I have coworkers who get by in Tokyo with only this much knowledge of the language. So it's possible, bit if you have the time and interest, definitely learn more. It's a nice language.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Nicoga3000, the burden of understanding Japanese is mostly placed on the listener. If you don't want to put much effort into studying the language you can probably get by with just a few words.

...bit if you have the time and interest, definitely learn more. It's a nice language.

I have always had the interest, but never knew where to start. I'm going to hit up the Japanese thread here on GAF to try and get some tips. In terms of having a reason, well - now I have one! And since I have such a huge time frame, I think it will be very possible for me to get to a point where I don't feel completely lost and will (hopefully) be able to make due.

Thank you guys for your awesome answers!

Another question if I may...Everywhere says to avoid traveling during Golden Week. According to Wikipedia, it takes place from 4/29 - 5/5(?). Is that the same period every year, or does it vary? We haven't really decided on a TIME we'd want to go, but we want to determine the time's we DON'T want to go.

I was fortunate that my work schedule could be moved around in such a way to accommodate a Japanese class at my local community college. Been going great so far. I'd like to learn more after my trip, but I doubt I could keep moving my schedule around for more classes.

edit - Speaking of which, I got some homework I need to finish up.

matt360

I have always had the interest, but never knew where to start. I'm going to hit up the Japanese thread here on GAF to try and get some tips. In terms of having a reason, well - now I have one! And since I have such a huge time frame, I think it will be very possible for me to get to a point where I don't feel completely lost and will (hopefully) be able to make due.

Thank you guys for your awesome answers!

Another question if I may...Everywhere says to avoid traveling during Golden Week. According to Wikipedia, it takes place from 4/29 - 5/5(?). Is that the same period every year, or does it vary? We haven't really decided on a TIME we'd want to go, but we want to determine the time's we DON'T want to go.

It varies slightly every year, but only by a matter of a few days. And that is good advice, you absolutely do not want to come during GW.

Darksol

Picked up a used Canon G11 for an absolute steal of a price. Looking forward to putting it to the test in Japan. Refused to go to such a beautiful country and take photos with my phone.

Desmond

Picked up a used Canon G11 for an absolute steal of a price. Looking forward to putting it to the test in Japan. Refused to go to such a beautiful country and take photos with my phone.
Where?

I want to get a camera before I go, unless it will be cheaper and better to get one in Yodabashi Camera?

I always liked that shop. I've been eyeing the Slime tamagotchi device out in the front case for the past couple of months. But it's just too expensive. :(

I'm given to understand that the place gets a bit of a bad rap from many of the people I've seen talking about it online. Yes, it's certainly a lot smaller and a lot less fancier than many of the big chains on that street, and yes the prices are still "Akihabara prices". But if this shop is classed as crappy in Japan it still blows away about 95% of all video game shops in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. It was the first shop we went inside on our first night visiting Akihabara, and it was great!

And they're totally fine with you filming in there, which is nice!

Where?

I want to get a camera before I go, unless it will be cheaper and better to get one in Yodobashi Camera?

If you won't have a camera until you go and buy one from Yodobashi Camera then you won't be able to take any pictures of your trip up until the point that you get to Yodobashi Camera! Also, it's always a good idea to have hands on time with a camera/lens before using it "for real", so you can understand how to use it best.

I'm renting a camera from borrowlenses.com for my trip. But what's so special about Yodabashi Camera? Are electronics just cheaper in Japan versus the States?

red13th

GAF, how to do Kyoto in 1 day? We wanted to do Kiyomizudera, Kinkakuji, Nishiki Market and Fushimi Inari but each place seems so far from the other and there's no subway, is this itinerary doable or should we drop something?

leroidys

GAF, how to do Kyoto in 1 day? We wanted to do Kiyomizudera, Kinkakuji, Nishiki Market and Fushimi Inari but each place seems so far from the other and there's no subway, is this itinerary doable or should we drop something?

You don't.

But if you absolutely have to, (for your itinerary) Kiyomizudera is straight north of Fushimi Inari, and there are train stops very near each. Fushimi Inari is amazing, but I don't know if it's that worth it just to do the quick circuit. I really recommend spending some time there and doing some light mountain hiking along the trails. Then take the train to Sanjo station (you'll have to transfer) and walk to Nishiki (not that exciting TBH, but the whole sanjo-dori shopping area is awesome). Near Nishiki at Karasuma or Karasumaoike you should be able to catch a bus to Kinkakuji, which will take ~40 minutes. I'm sure a ton of people will vehemently disagree with me, but Kinkakuji kinda feels like a tourist trap. There are just busloads of Chinese tourists getting dumped there constantly, and you can't go near the actual temple or inside the monastic complex or anything.

My advice for 1 day in Kyoto would be to use the Higashiyama area as a base, and head to Heian-jingu and the adjacent museums, and nanzen-ji, and then head a bit south to Kiyomizudera. After Kiyomizudera, walk back towards sanjo-dori through the historical Gion district, stopping by the park if it strikes your fancy. Then grab a late lunch/dinner near the shopping district and check out Nishiki and the surrounding shops and then, if it's the weekend or a holiday, enjoy the vibrant nightlife along the river and canals.

matt360

I would drop the market. It's cool, but it's not that cool. If you start really early then you could do all three of the other things.

Resilient

Here is my advice. Do Kinkaku-ji early in the morning because you will be there for a short amount of time. From there, head back and go to Kiyomizu-dera. This will take some time, I recommend this during the day because it'll just be better. Plus you want to spend some time here, there is a lot to do in this area (you'll see when you get there). Now from here, head back and if you really want to hit the market up I guess you could, but IMO it isn't worth it. At this point you should rest and eat dinner. Then, my recommendation is to do Fushimi Inari at night. Don't be scared because it's night, and you might get lost. You won't. You won't get assaulted either. It's awesome at night, and this way you get to do everything you want, minus the market. Hopefully you fit this all in. You will be fucking tired as shit after Kiyomizu-dera, I can't imagine doing that and Fushimi Inari in the same day....good luck bro.

scarlet

The return trip to kinkakuji from kyoto station by bus takes 2 hours, so .. not enough

Kyomizudera and Fushimi Inari will kill your legs.

Resilient

The return trip to kinkakuji from kyoto station by bus takes 2 hours, so .. not enough

Kyomizudera and Fushimi Inari will kill your legs.

nani? took us 40 minutes.

You can do Kinkaku-ji in 2 hours IMO. 40 minutes to, spend about 30-40 minutes there, and then 40 minutes back to Gion Shijo station.

From here you have one option. Become a true man and punish your legs. I fully believe you can do this if you have the will power to dominate. Walk to Kiyomizu-dera and prepare for pain as you walk all around it, and then back to Gion Shijo when you are done. From here you can take a train to Fushimi Inari (not sure which one) and commence punishment part two. You must do the full trip, and not the quick route because that will show weakness. Fushimi Inari will take you about 2-3 hours in total. Because you are doing Kiyomizu-dera before it will probably take longer. Prepare yourself for this battle. It's fully doable.

scarlet

nani? took us 40 minutes.

You can do Kinkaku-ji in 2 hours IMO. 40 minutes to, spend about 30-40 minutes there, and then 40 minutes back to Gion Shijo station.

From here you have one option. Become a true man and punish your legs. I fully believe you can do this if you have the will power to dominate. Walk to Kiyomizu-dera and prepare for pain as you walk all around it, and then back to Gion Shijo when you are done. From here you can take a train to Fushimi Inari (not sure which one) and commence punishment part two. You must do the full trip, and not the quick route because that will show weakness. Fushimi Inari will take you about 2-3 hours in total. Because you are doing Kiyomizu-dera before it will probably take longer. Prepare yourself for this battle. It's fully doable.

Return trip Kyoto station - Kinkakuji - Kyoto station.

40 minutes is one way trip

Hm... How and where from are you getting from/to Kyoto on this day?

Gacha-pin

I would skip Kinkakuji. It's kinda flashy.

When I visited Kiyomizudera in April, it was under repair and I guess it's still is. You can be on the platform of the temple but scaffolds and covering material are there in the temple and it's not a good timing to visit.

My recommendation is you should choose one area like north area of the city or south or west or east and stick to the area and head to the central area (Kawaramachi sijo/Gion) of the city at night.

Top Bottom