• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

SKINNER!

Banned
Shibuya/Shinjuku? I can't find a place with English subtitles, sorry.

https://www.google.co.jp/search?cli...東京都新宿区&ei=qVSzU-CBHM248gXK_IGQCQ&ved=0CBcQwAM

I see it's playing at Shinjuku Baruto 9, and Shibuya TOHO Cinemas.

For future reference, cheap movie day is the 1st of the month. If you like watching movies late, many places sell seats for cheaper after 9.

Thanks buddy :) Walked past the Shibuya TOHO cinema today. Seemed like it didn't have subs. Ah well, wait for the dvd release I suppose.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Just got our plane tickets and booked a nice house on airbnb not too far from Shinjuku for the TGS week. It will be nice to go back to Tokyo, can't wait to visit more of Kamakura :)

Sweet! Weather today seems dry too.

Probably a long shot but anyone know a cinema in Tokyo that will show Ghost in the Shell Arise 3 with English subtitles? Wouldn't mind watching it on the big screen.

Anime is very rarely, if ever, subtitled for theatrical screenings in Japan. Even if the BD has subs, they won't use them for a predominantly Japanese theater audience. You could just go and enjoy the experience.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Got my get away week planed, well to be honest only the first 2 days.

Going to Yakushima for a few days before obon week and then traveling up to Tokyo, I have plan to do the Kumano Kodo, in fact is a heavy hiking week :)

If someone are in the south and wanna have a good lunch/dinner poke me. I will try my best

SKINNER!

Banned
Anime is very rarely, if ever, subtitled for theatrical screenings in Japan. Even if the BD has subs, they won't use them for a predominantly Japanese theater audience. You could just go and enjoy the experience.

Fair enough :)

Also, holy crap! Is it me or are PS Vitas much cheaper here than in the UK?

Was in the Sony Building and they were selling the new slim ones at around 20K yen (£110-ish) where usually the old ones back home go for £199. I can't tell if my conversion is all wrong or not. Really tempted. Any tips on getting a good deal on a new slim one?

Fair enough :)

Also, holy crap! Is it me or are PS Vitas much cheaper here than in the UK?

Was in the Sony Building and they were selling the new slim ones at around 20K ten (£110-ish) where usually the old ones back home go for £199. I can't tell if my conversion is all wrong or not. Really tempted. Any tips on getting a good deal on a new slim one?

Hm... £150 for a slim Vita with 16GB memory card Sports game pack at GAME UK.

Try going to Akihabara and check different shops? Check which ones offer duty free as well.

Desmond

Ok.

I'm going to be studying in Kyoto from the 10th of September, but beforehand I'm gonna go to Tokyo. Looking for some good hotel suggestions for the 1-10th.

edit: I wonder if even a week would be ok for Tokyo? I have to meet some scholarship people, but maybe I can can to somewhere for 2 nights en route to Kyoto.

Hey all, I'm new to this thread (I was kindly pointed in the right direction by the lovely MikeHattsu).

I'll be heading over to Japan for the first time in September, and my only firm plans so far are attending this year's Magical Mirai concert in Tokyo. I do have a general checklist of the usual tourist spots I would like to see in Tokyo, but I would also like to visit Kyoto for a night or two as well.

I guess my main question is: for my first visit, would a week be an adequate amount of time for the above? I'm in no doubt I'll be returning again and going further afield in the country, but I don't want to be too ambitious on my first visit... any advice welcome :)

If you're only going for a week you should maybe skip Kyoto. There's enough to see and do in Tokyo to last several weeks on it's own and it's better to have more than 1-2 days if you're going to Kyoto.

If you're only going for a week you should maybe skip Kyoto. There's enough to see and do in Tokyo to last several weeks on it's own and it's better to have more than 1-2 days if you're going to Kyoto.

Hi Mike! So more time would be needed for Kyoto... I thought I might be limiting myself if I were just sticking to Tokyo for the duration of my stay.

Hi Mike! So more time would be needed for Kyoto... I thought I might be limiting myself if I were just sticking to Tokyo for the duration of my stay.

There's lots of stuff to see and do in Tokyo as I said, but if you really want to take a day trip then there's places like Nikko, Hakone and Kamakura which is much closer to Tokyo than Kyoto is.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
re: cheap Vita's - have a look for a Tsutaya away from Shibuya/Shinjuku - you can snag yourself a mint condition second hand chunky vita for 13,999 in some places, 14,999 for slim

I am heading out of Tokyo for a few days - can't wait. Just had 2 weeks off showing parents around, need to go spend time with wife kids somewhere :D

Resilient

re: cheap Vita's - have a look for a Tsutaya away from Shibuya/Shinjuku - you can snag yourself a mint condition second hand chunky vita for 13,999 in some places, 14,999 for slim

I am heading out of Tokyo for a few days - can't wait. Just had 2 weeks off showing parents around, need to go spend time with wife kids somewhere :D

bought a 2nd hand 3ds from tsutya for 80000 yen

Gacha-pin

Ok.

I'm going to be studying in Kyoto from the 10th of September, but beforehand I'm gonna go to Tokyo. Looking for some good hotel suggestions for the 1-10th.

edit: I wonder if even a week would be ok for Tokyo? I have to meet some scholarship people, but maybe I can can to somewhere for 2 nights en route to Kyoto.

Park Hyatt Tokyo?

Hey all, I'm new to this thread (I was kindly pointed in the right direction by the lovely MikeHattsu).

I'll be heading over to Japan for the first time in September, and my only firm plans so far are attending this year's Magical Mirai concert in Tokyo. I do have a general checklist of the usual tourist spots I would like to see in Tokyo, but I would also like to visit Kyoto for a night or two as well.

I guess my main question is: for my first visit, would a week be an adequate amount of time for the above? I'm in no doubt I'll be returning again and going further afield in the country, but I don't want to be too ambitious on my first visit... any advice welcome :)

Dump your travel plan for Tokyo and go to Kyoto instead ;p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fesHkn7Mxhs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7MPcchh4ig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uigcGWB_G8k

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Hi everyone. I will be going to Tokyo university for a visit for 2 weeks. I will be able to travel in the weekends. What are some must visit places in Japan other than Kyoto?

leroidys

Hi everyone. I will be going to Tokyo university for a visit for 2 weeks. I will be able to travel in the weekends. What are some must visit places in Japan other than Kyoto?

Kamakura is really cool. I've heard great things about Nikko from a lot of people.

Kyoto is GOAT though.

Tokyo will keep you plenty busy if you're worried though :)

Resilient

TGS - this year or next?! Id go for like 3 days tops. Thoughts people? Feel like the game lineups will be better next. I'm going back to Japan for 3 weeks over New Years, though.

It's so incredibly different than anything back home in the US. If you're not from here than it might not be as fun, but there are actually screens reminding you not laugh out loud. Not laugh. It was the most quiet theater is ever been in.

In April I saw the first live action Patlabor movie then went to an all-night screening of the original Gundam movie trilogy. Both at Shinjuku Picadilly.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Not sure what kind of advice you want. If the winds are going to be 270km an hour when you're supposed to be there then just don't go? Unless you want to go and sit inside all day.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
no one can give me any advice?

Couldn't you call you try to get the flight changed to some other location? I mean, a typhoon is pretty much guaranteed to put a damper on things.

Airlines usually allow you some flexibility to change the date of the flight as well. So maybe you can simply wait till the typhoon passes before going.

Yeah, I can't really think of many indoor things to do in Okinawa that are fun. Maybe the aquarium, but even that has a lot of outdoor exhibits.

ajim

Sorry guys, I know advice isn't easiest to give in this situation. I called the airline and they couldn't give me an answers but all flights have been cancelled thus far but might not be as of 10th. Either way, Icant really reschedule the flights because I'm due to go to Osaka on 16th then Kyoto and back in Tokyo to finish up.

might have to just suck it up and rebook some accomo elsewhere here and pay a shitload of money last minute. Pretty annoying.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Sorry guys, I know advice isn't easiest to give in this situation. I called the airline and they couldn't give me an answers but all flights have been cancelled thus far but might not be as of 10th. Either way, Icant really reschedule the flights because I'm due to go to Osaka on 16th then Kyoto and back in Tokyo to finish up.

might have to just suck it up and rebook some accomo elsewhere here and pay a shitload of money last minute. Pretty annoying.

Well, can't control the weather. Don't let this spoil the trip though. Enjoy the rest of it!

ajim

That's true.

thanks dude, its been a blast so far anyway. I'm already upset about the idea of leaving back to Australia in a few weeks lol :(

Wow these pictures look great!!
So does anyone know what camera I can buy that would get me close to this quality without having to drop $700 on a Fujifilm X-E1?? My budget is about $500 or lower.

Thank you!

Aaand I'm super sorry I totally didn't check back into this thread to reply to you!

Just for your reference I was using a cheap, old, second hand Sony NEX-5N from eBay along with a cheap, old, second hand Sony SEL1855 kit lens from eBay (in most cases anyway, I actually shot more video than stills and wanted to have image stabilisation on tap). I hope you got whatever camera suited your needs and your budget, and were able to make some great photos yourself!

Whilst I'm here, I'll drop a few more on all y'all...(all my pix are clickable for more deets via flickr)

A view of Rokuon-ji (Deer Garden Temple), commonly known as the Golden Pavilion. The site where this Zen Buddhist temple stands dates back to 1397, located in Kyoto.

A wild リオレイア (Rathian) in Osaka, captured for @everydayfoxlife.

Sunset atop the spire at the Ghibli Museum, Mitaka. Captured for @chibijenova.

I hope that everyone who's been to Japan since I Iast checked out this thread got there and back safely, and had the wickedest most radical sick time ever.

EDIT
Oh, shit. Typhoon Neoguri.
:(

Desmond

Tickets bought! It's decided.

My Japanese adventure begins August 1st.
A week or so in Tokyo, may stay a cheeky night or two in Nagoya en route to my University in Kyoto.

:) can't wait to go back.

SKINNER!

Banned
Hiroshima and the Itsukushima Shrine was gorgeous! Loved the city so much I bought a Hiroshima Carpb jersey and a few people smiled and gave me the thumbs up :) Memorial Museum and atomic Dome moved me. Got back To Tokyo last night. Only got one more day to go. Decided to go to the Capcom Bar for a bite and a drink. Food looked meh but the Brain cake and entertainment was alright. Decided to get some ramen afterwards.

Desmond

Whoever mentioned airbnb is amazing. Definitely gonna get accommodation there. I've whittled my options to two places in Meguro and Harajuku. The latter is 30 euro more a night. Is Meguro a convenient place in Tokyo?

Hiroshima and the Itsukushima Shrine was gorgeous! Loved the city so much I bought a Hiroshima Carpb jersey and a few people smiled and gave me the thumbs up :) Memorial Museum and atomic Dome moved me. Got back To Tokyo last night. Only got one more day to go. Decided to go to the Capcom Bar for a bite and a drink. Food looked meh but the Brain cake and entertainment was alright. Decided to get some ramen afterwards.
Did you get to visit Miyajima?

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Oh, I went to Japan with the girlfriend last year for my 30th birthday. It was great and I really want to go back there some time next year. Visited Kyoto and Tokyo, so there's plenty more to see.

Here's an album on flickr with a few of the photos I took: Japan 2013

10206568764_b5845b822c_c.jpg

The Golden Pavilion by jayco1983, on Flickr

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Whoever mentioned airbnb is amazing. Definitely gonna get accommodation there. I've whittled my options to two places in Meguro and Harajuku. The latter is 30 euro more a night. Is Meguro a convenient place in Tokyo?

Meguro dabes neighbourhood
for shopping

Desmond

Meguro dabes neighbourhood
for shopping
Sounds good! Lol. Harajuku would be fun to stay in but I can just take a train there. Would it be beneficial to get so!e sort of train pass for a 7-10 day stay?

I should put up some of my pictures from last year.

Looks like it's close to Shibuya, so not too bad transportation wise.

Would it be beneficial to get so!e sort of train pass for a 7-10 day stay?

Just for Tokyo? Nope.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Short story:

Bought some t-shirt for cheap in a Uniqlo-store because I didn't pack enough for two weeks. Walked around Kyoto with that shirt, which had some print and a bit of kanji on it.

I didn't know what it said at all until a shop keeper in a Levis store nodded and said that he thought it was funny that I wore it. I explained that I didn't know what it said at all and he told me that it read "traditional japanese star", which I'm most certainly not.

hwalker84

One of my favorite stories is i'm eatting at this Yakitori place in Hiroshima. I barely have any Japanese even though I took it in High School. Anyway I can tell these guys a few chairs down are having an intense Dragonball conversation. Under my jacket I happened to be wearing this:
sharkrobot_fireball_over9000_large.jpg

I say "sumimasen" and then unzip my jacket and they yell "VEGETA!!!!" Then here's me trying to explain what the 9001 meant without the ability to have a conversation in Japanese. LOL.

scarlet

Short story:

Bought some t-shirt for cheap in a Uniqlo-store because I didn't pack enough for two weeks. Walked around Kyoto with that shirt, which had some print and a bit of kanji on it.

I didn't know what it said at all until a shop keeper in a Levis store nodded and said that he thought it was funny that I wore it. I explained that I didn't know what it said at all and he told me that it read "traditional japanese star", which I'm most certainly not.

I love Uniqlo, but seriously where the hell is the L size shirt? and I went to that huge store in Ginza T.T

Mine

64_125963.jpg

Short story:

I bought some cheap t-shirts with kanji on them too. Maybe I should post a picture on here and get somebody to figure out what it says...

Top Bottom