• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
FYI 7-11 changed out their ATMs recently and my Canadian DEBIT (not VISA) card which used to work doesn't anymore. It still works at JP Post bank machines though.

Visa's should be fine but if you want to withdraw money via a debit card (and it was working before) it *may* not anymore.

Trojan X

Banned
I just checked and my debit card is a standard Mastercard. I was in Japan for the entire month of June and like I said, never had any issues at 7eleven or post office. I suggest that any visitors get informed before traveling. I asked my bank and they said I would be able to use it no problem.

That's definitely good to know. Good stuff. Your Mastercard is a standard Mastercard DEBIT that doesn't have a Maetro loo, just to keep that clear to everyone to prevent any misunderstanding.

I can confirm to everyone that VISA DEBIT doesn't work and I've tried frequently myself in different scenarios such as ATM, Over-the-Counter purchases, etc. Now my VISA DEBIT card is sitting on my shelve away from my wallet as I can't use it. My VISA DEBIT card is from Natwest:

Card-001.jpg

KtSlime

My VISA DEBIT issued from my bank in the states works fine. I've used it at JPBank, 7/11, Traders, Seiyu, Aeon, FamilyMart, Lawson's, Life, etc.

Desmond, I recommend Shinsei, they are pretty friendly to foreigners, and if you don't speak Japanese very well some branches have English speaking staff, and they have an English speaking customer service number. However, if you are an American, I have heard that they recently changed their rules, and require past IRS records, so bring those just in case.

I can confirm to everyone that VISA DEBIT doesn't work and I've tried frequently myself in different scenarios such as ATM, Over-the-Counter purchases, etc. Now my VISA DEBIT card is sitting on my shelve away from my wallet as I can't use it.

My Visa Debit Nationwide card works just fine. Can't say I understand what the differences might be between banks, though.

Edit: I should clarify that I've only tried using it in 7-11 ATMs.

Zoe

That's definitely good to know. Good stuff. Your Mastercard is a standard Mastercard DEBIT that doesn't have a Maetro loo, just to keep that clear to everyone to prevent any misunderstanding.

I can confirm to everyone that VISA DEBIT doesn't work and I've tried frequently myself in different scenarios such as ATM, Over-the-Counter purchases, etc. Now my VISA DEBIT card is sitting on my shelve away from my wallet as I can't use it. My VISA DEBIT card is from Natwest:

Card-001.jpg

What are the logos on the back though?

And your PIN has to be 4 digits. If it's more complex than that or requires the chip, it's not going to work.

micster

I can confirm to everyone that VISA DEBIT doesn't work and I've tried frequently myself in different scenarios such as ATM, Over-the-Counter purchases, etc. Now my VISA DEBIT card is sitting on my shelve away from my wallet as I can't use it. My VISA DEBIT card is from Natwest

Then its a problem with YOUR card. As I and other people have said, Visa Debit is absolutely fine over the counter and at 7/11 ATMs. Here is my card that I used for two months in Japan. Worked every time up until leaving two weeks ago.

HiX8K4F.jpg

Damaged

Then its a problem with YOUR card. As I and other people have said, Visa Debit is absolutely fine over the counter and at 7/11 ATMs. Here is my card that I used for two months in Japan. Worked every time up until leaving two weeks ago.

HiX8K4F.jpg

Ditto, I'm on a Natwest visa debit as well and had no problems in may this year, October 2013 or April 2011. I would suggest that next time you advise your bank that you are travelling prior to your trip as they will sometimes block usage in somewhere less well travelled

Trojan X

Banned
Wow. Very interesting responses as my friend also had the same peoblem as me. Perhaps the answer does lie with blocking, it is woth investigating with my bank. Note that i last tried this September 2013. Anyhow, i am very glad you all confirmed on the contrary and this is no longer a problem for me as i have my own japanese bank account and credit cards (i live in japan).

SKINNER!

Banned
Guys, guys! Just take out a really cheap credit card with low APR, no fees etc. (UK Gaffers - use Halifax clarity card) and then immediately pay it off the day you come back from your trip. That's what I did and it worked like a charm. No problems or rejections whatsoever.

Still deciding if I'm going to fuji rock tomorrow or not... does anyone know about luggage situation? (I'd like to leave my luggage at tokyo station and just come pick it up sunday night for my plane ride... plan on taking a shower in a Manga cafe after getting back to tokyo on Sunday.

Still deciding if I'm going to fuji rock tomorrow or not... does anyone know about luggage situation? (I'd like to leave my luggage at tokyo station and just come pick it up sunday night for my plane ride... plan on taking a shower in a Manga cafe after getting back to tokyo on Sunday.

Read the stuff about coin lockers here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2274.html

Tokyo Station is quite busy though, so you might have to hunt around for a while to find a locker that's free if you're planning to store something large. If you got some really big suitcase then it's no good...

Where are you staying tomorrow night? They may let you drop off your luggage a day early. That's what I'm doing when I go to Mt. Fuji in a couple weeks.

JulianImp

Read the stuff about coin lockers here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2274.html

Tokyo Station is quite busy though, so you might have to hunt around for a while to find a locker that's free if you're planning to store something large. If you got some really big suitcase then it's no good...

Hmm, that's interesting... it seems carrying too many bags while moving from a major spot to another would be quite complicated, huh?

I was planning on having a backpack for my laptop and other electronics, a smaller messenger bag for carrying less items at a time, and a large-ish luggage which will be mostly reserved for clothing, with enough free space for anything I might happen to pick up during my trip (artbooks, souvenirs, more clothing, and so on).

However, these restrictions on the number, size and weight of the luggage you can bring to a shinkansen or other means of transport got me a bit worried... here're some questions I've just come up with:
  • Would it be wise to bring less items of clothing with me and rely on laundry services more ofen so I'd be carrying a smaller piece of luggage while moving all my stuff between hotels/regions?
  • How much money should I expect to pay for laundry, and how much clothing should I expect to be able to fit in a single machine?
  • Since I know I'll be arriving by the end of summer and the start of autumn, what's the general consensus on the kinds of clothing I should bring with me? I've heard Japan's quite hot during the summer, so I guess I'd be packing mostly light clothing such as short sleeved shirts, short socks, light shoes and and some sandals, but I'll also be showcasing my game on TGS, so I guess some formal clothing will be needed
  • Should I bring more than a handful of pieces of clothing specifically for cold weather (mostly for places with heavy AC usage, I'd guess)?
  • Would it be okay to use my backpack to move around the city whenever I need to bring my laptop and android devices with me, or would it be seen as frowned upon due to the space it'd take up behind me?

I stayed in a hostel and hotel where you could wash your clothes. Was big enough to was 2 pair of pants, 2 sweaters, and 4 sets of undergarment at least. Cost around 300 JPY to wash the clothes. 1x 30 min wash and 2x 30 min drier for 100 JPY each or something like that.

Pack light clothes! No need for cold weather clothes at all. I traveled with a backpack everywhere. Normal sized one though, not a backpacker one.

I stayed in a hostel and hotel where you could wash your clothes. Was big enough to was 2 pair of pants, 2 sweaters, and 4 sets of undergarment at least. Cost around 300 JPY to wash the clothes. 1x 30 min wash and 2x 30 min drier for 100 JPY each or something like that.

Pack light clothes! No need for cold weather clothes at all. I traveled with a backpack everywhere. Normal sized one though, not a backpacker one.

This is the part that is going to make things complicated for me. Mt. Fuji can easily get below freezing during the summer, so I have to pack some heavier clothes. Not to mention hiking boots. I bought some of those vacuum space saver bags, so we'll see how those work out and maybe save me some room in my suitcase.

There's luggage restrictions on the Shinkansen?

do you mean by weight or size? I don't know any specifics but I rode on it with a 30 pound bag [~22x15x10 inches] and a backpack with no issues. Of course it was a weekend and it wasn't really packed like it was during peak hours.

Never had this happen before so posting it here out of strangeness:

I went to a music bar in Akihabara where you select songs that you want to play on their speakers(which they advertise is the point of it). Which has an hourly charge of 800 yen

This is such a stupid thing that I don't even want to explain the story, but basically a staff member bold faced lied to me - first out of convenience, then out of spite - and the owner of the store (when I complained to the owner) and actually made something worse because I complained about it three times.

I then went back to the place again and they told me I was no longer welcome because I broke their ipod(which I had no recollection of doing)

So rare for Japan. But kinda makes you realize how much of an outsider you are... unless you are at a high end place that heavily caters to luxury foreigners, you will not win in a complaint against a staff member. I was so stupid and kept paying their hourly charge because the staff member kept telling me the owner was coming....

Desmond

do you mean by weight or size? I don't know any specifics but I rode on it with a 30 pound bag [~22x15x10 inches] and a backpack with no issues. Of course it was a weekend and it wasn't really packed like it was during peak hours.
I mean, can I bring a large suitcase on board? I have to somehow lug all my stuff from Tokyo to Kyoto.

Trojan X

Banned
Japan is always still hot in autumn though not super hot like right now and september. No need to bring any cold clothes unless you staying for winter.

Trojan X

Banned
Does anyone know what blood thinning 1-a-day aspirin is good to purchase in Japan? My Japanese isn't perfect yet so I don't want to go and ask at the counter for opinions as that would lead to mis-communication and end up purchasing something incorrect.

As I do lots and lots of sitting down work that goes on for many hours with very little break, and considering my family's history, there will be points during the month where I'd have to say that taking aspirin for one or two weeks every month would be the best thing for me to do. When I was in the UK, I use to purchase a 100 capsules in a bottle Aspirin from Tesco, Boots, and any other place that got a pharmacy.

Any help for a good one will be much appreciated. Yes, I do eat Natto if you are curious but don't let that stop you from recommending me a good blood thinning Aspirin.

tokkun

Would it be okay to use my backpack to move around the city whenever I need to bring my laptop and android devices with me, or would it be seen as frowned upon due to the space it'd take up behind me?

The polite thing to do when you have a backpack in a crowded area like a train is to take it off and put it on the floor between your feet.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
FYI 7-11 changed out their ATMs recently and my Canadian DEBIT (not VISA) card which used to work doesn't anymore. It still works at JP Post bank machines though.

Visa's should be fine but if you want to withdraw money via a debit card (and it was working before) it *may* not anymore.

Citibanks should also work, only problem is they are pretty lacking in locations. Know Shinjuku has 2 of them. One on the East and West side.

The polite thing to do when you have a backpack in a crowded area like a train is to take it off and put it on the floor between your feet.

That or depending on how full it is, wear it infront of you.

Does anyone know what blood thinning 1-a-day aspirin is good to purchase in Japan? My Japanese isn't perfect yet so I don't want to go and ask at the counter for opinions as that would lead to mis-communication and end up purchasing something incorrect.

As I do lots and lots of sitting down work that goes on for many hours with very little break, and considering my family's history, there will be points during the month where I'd have to say that taking aspirin for one or two weeks every month would be the best thing for me to do. When I was in the UK, I use to purchase a 100 capsules in a bottle Aspirin from Tesco, Boots, and any other place that got a pharmacy.

Any help for a good one will be much appreciated. Yes, I do eat Natto if you are curious but don't let that stop you from recommending me a good blood thinning Aspirin.

Are you actually living here already? Since truthfully Id just suggest to get a family member to send you some or buy some before you get here to stay in stock.

It's super hot in September?

Its super hot already now and its only going to get worse from here...

scarlet

Even in late march and April the sun can be so hot, I still remember I was sweating because of the sun and freezing because of the wind :\

Resilient

Citibanks should also work, only problem is they are pretty lacking in locations. Know Shinjuku has 2 of them. One on the East and West side.

That or depending on how full it is, wear it infront of you.

Are you actually living here already? Since truthfully Id just suggest to get a family member to send you some or buy some before you get here to stay in stock.

Its super hot already now and its only going to get worse from here...

I love your avatar but don't remember seeing Sasha eating noodles...is this fanart?

Trojan X

Banned

Living here since last year September. Why do you suggest this? I assume it is not easy to get Aspirin here unlike the UK?

Parakeetman

Living here since last year September. Why do you suggest this? I assume it is not easy to get Aspirin here unlike the UK?

its that unless a gaf member is fully fluent in japanese and knows medical stuff + comparison with meds in the west, really wouldnt suggest taking any sort of advice in terms to medicine and just get something imported that you know works / is safe with your own body.

that and a lot of the japanese medicines too are like multipurpose stuff.

once again most humbly and strongly suggest if you are coming from outside of japan or have someone who can help send you medication to get it from overseas to be safe. that or if you live in country and have a doc who speaks english consult them for what would be safe for you to take for results desired. may sound like am being a bit overreacting but when it comes to things like medication and whatnots folks react differently and due to the names of the chemicals used within said meds unless one as stated is fully fluent in the language / terminology being able to compare information to meds taken in the west is a difficult task and would not want anyone to be responsible for you getting sick due to taking medication that might have something in it that does not agree with you and the obvious of you yourself becoming unwell due to it.

if you are in tokyo and have medical insurance i do know a doc who speaks english and is trustworthy out in omote-sando / harajuku. but without medical insurance it can be a bit costly for a visit. if you are interested let me know and will pm you his info. ive seen the guy on several occasions and hes a good doc.

for myself for example I get horrible migraines at random every couple of months and pretty much the only thing that works is advil. which I have gotten through my own channels as there really isnt anything here that works for myself personally.

Trojan X

Banned
its that unless a gaf member is fully fluent in japanese and knows medical stuff + comparison with meds in the west, really wouldnt suggest taking any sort of advice in terms to medicine and just get something imported that you know works / is safe with your own body.

I do not understand what you said there and I don't want to get the wrong/negative impression. Please kindly clarify what you are saying in that sentence.

that and a lot of the japanese medicines too are like multipurpose stuff.

once again most humbly and strongly suggest if you are coming from outside of japan or have someone who can help send you medication to get it from overseas to be safe. that or if you live in country and have a doc who speaks english consult them for what would be safe for you to take for results desired.

if you are in tokyo and have medical insurance i do know a doc who speaks english and is trustworthy out in omote-sando side though you actually get off at harajuku. but without medical insurance it can be a bit costly for a visit. if you are interested let me know and will pm you his info.

Ok. I'll request my sister to send me a bottle. You can get 75 capsules in one bottle and they are very easy to purchase from the shelve in Tesco and Boots, you don't need to ask someone from the Pharmacy unless you need 100 or more. Of course, don't quote me on that.

Yes, I would like to know about the English speaking doctor in Omote-Sando. Please send me the info via PM. I would be most grateful.

Parakeetman

I do not understand what you said there and I don't want to get the wrong/negative impression. Please kindly clarify what you are saying in that sentence.

What I mean is that the general terms for the chemical compounds / "ingredients" used with Japanese medicines are different from the English counterparts, therefore having someone just suggesting something based off of their own usage vs actually knowing what said medicine contains is what makes a huge difference. Also if you know what you are potentially allergic to and such helps when asking for advice when it comes to medication.

It may sound overly cautious but when it comes to things like medication never can be too safe as reactions to meds that your body does not agree with are never a fun experience and thats if nothing serious happens.

Ive grown up surrounded by docs for a good half of my life one being my father which is why I take medical related issues seriously.

Ok. I'll request my sister to send me a bottle. You can get 75 capsules in one bottle and they are very easy to purchase from the shelve in Tesco and Boots, you don't need to ask someone from the Pharmacy unless you need 100 or more. Of course, don't quote me on that.

Yes, I would like to know about the English speaking doctor in Omote-Sando. Please send me the info via PM. I would be most grateful.

Just dont get a huge bunch of meds sent as customs is a bit more on watch with medicine these days due to some new recent problems with other types being brought in and used for "makeshift" illegal drugs. So things like a single bottle or whatnots is usually fine. Customs didnt bat an eye at my larger 360 tablet filled bottle for advil for an example.

Will do about the doc info gonna send that to you now.
*done and sent.

Trojan X

Banned
What I mean is that the general terms for the chemical compounds / "ingredients" used with Japanese medicines are different from the English counterparts, therefore having someone just suggesting something based off of their own usage vs actually knowing what said medicine contains is what makes a huge difference. Also if you know what you are potentially allergic to and such helps when asking for advice when it comes to medication.

It may sound overly cautious but when it comes to things like medication never can be too safe as reactions to meds that your body does not agree with are never a fun experience and thats if nothing serious happens.

Ive grown up surrounded by docs for a good half of my life one being my father which is why I take medical related issues seriously.

Just dont get a huge bunch of meds sent as customs is a bit more on watch with medicine these days due to some new recent problems with other types being brought in and used for "makeshift" illegal drugs. So things like a single bottle or whatnots is usually fine. Customs didnt bat an eye at my larger 360 tablet filled bottle for advil for an example.

Will do about the doc info gonna send that to you now.
*done and sent.

All sounds good and there isn't anything wrong with being overly cautious. I thought the same thing in regards to customs so I'll ask her to get 2 small bottles of 100 capsules so at least I have enough as backup.

Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Speaking of the credit cards.

I have a debit visa I had been using since I had been living here. It works perfect in 7/11 Citibank, jp post and some other.

No comerce denied me the card either.

Check better with your back.

Gromph

Staff Member
All sounds good and there isn't anything wrong with being overly cautious. I thought the same thing in regards to customs so I'll ask her to get 2 small bottles of 100 capsules so at least I have enough as backup.

Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.

Let me know what medicine you need and I tell you how to search in Japan ;-)

Parakeetman

Speaking of the credit cards.

I have a debit visa I had been using since I had been living here. It works perfect in 7/11 Citibank, jp post and some other.

No comerce denied me the card either.

Check better with your back.

In regards to the CC stuff I think for example myself what happened was that it removed Cirrus related cards which effected mine. Have not tried recently as usually hit up the post office instead. Post Office and Citibank are the main to go places now and I just use 711 for my standard JP bank stuff.

Gromph

Staff Member
In regards to the CC stuff I think for example myself what happened was that it removed Cirrus related cards which effected mine. Have not tried recently as usually hit up the post office instead. Post Office and Citibank are the main to go places now and I just use 711 for my standard JP bank stuff.

I use a ING card to buy stuff and some times to get cash (depend on de market) and my shinsei cash card to get money too

Until yesterday I didn't need a real japanese credit card (damm apple) but solved with a vanilla one.

Parakeetman

I use a ING card to buy stuff and some times to get cash (depend on de market) and my shinsei cash card to get money too

Until yesterday I didn't need a real japanese credit card (damm apple) but solved with a vanilla one.

The whole need a JP CC stuff is insane isnt it? Kinda defeats the purpose of Visa or Mastercard lol.

I would have gotten a shinsen bank card if the Shinjuku branch folks were not a bunch of pricks. Its the one on the west side. My buddy who has a shinsei account says he has no idea what that branches problem is since the ikebukuro one is fine. So I wound up going with Tokyo Mitsubishi now also Mizuho.

KtSlime

The whole need a JP CC stuff is insane isnt it? Kinda defeats the purpose of Visa or Mastercard lol.

I would have gotten a shinsen bank card if the Shinjuku branch folks were not a bunch of pricks. Its the one on the west side. My buddy who has a shinsei account says he has no idea what that branches problem is since the ikebukuro one is fine. So I wound up going with Tokyo Mitsubishi now also Mizuho.

What happened? If you are talking about the one near Bic, that's my branch and have never had any problems.

Parakeetman

What happened? If you are talking about the one near Bic, that's my branch and have never had any problems.

They are pretty infamous for having an elitist attitude there. Even several other friends that have shinsei accounts dont go to that branch.

This was about 7 years ago or so. Have not bothered dealing with them again since. Had a friend that worked at SQEX at the time which is why he suggested that particular branch since shinjuku is a hub city of mine and the fact they are pretty good about foreign currency and such.

They basically acted like they were some hot shit elitist bank and would only take folks they want to accept. Asked others and heard similar stories about that particular branch. So after that I wound up getting a Tokyo Mitsubishi and Citibank account.

Ive tried with that Shinsei twice one for a personal account and another time for a corporate account 5 years ago and wearing a suit, neatly groomed mind you all proper docs in order and still the same usual attitude as my first experience. So since them they have become the fuck right off bank on my list. Since sure as hell wouldnt want people like that taking care of my financials.

KtSlime

They are pretty infamous for having an elitist attitude there. Even several other friends that have shinsei accounts dont go to that branch.

This was about 7 years ago or so. Have not bothered dealing with them again since. Had a friend that worked at SQEX at the time which is why he suggested that particular branch since shinjuku is a hub city of mine and the fact they are pretty good about foreign currency and such.

They basically acted like they were some hot shit elitist bank and would only take folks they want to accept. Asked others and heard similar stories about that particular branch. So after that I wound up getting a Tokyo Mitsubishi and Citibank account.

Ive tried with that Shinsei twice one for a personal account and another time for a corporate account 5 years ago and wearing a suit, neatly groomed mind you all proper docs in order and still the same usual attitude as my first experience. So since them they have become the fuck right off bank on my list. Since sure as hell wouldnt want people like that taking care of my financials.
Crazy. I had no problem, but I'm sure many probably do. I in general don't trust banks much, so I'll keep an eye on them, make sure they don't try to screw me over.

Parakeetman

Crazy. I had no problem, but I'm sure many probably do. I in general don't trust banks much, so I'll keep an eye on them, make sure they don't try to screw me over.

Im sure the bank itself is fine, just that for whatever reason the Shinjuku branch has / had an attitude problem. Since as mentioned before my buddy that uses the Ikebukuro one says its perfectly normal there just as any bank. Really weird... :/ Ikebukuro wasnt really an option for me as its totally on the opposite side of my geographical / reasonable location. D:

So once again Tokyo Mitsubishi became the corporate account the large branch in West Shinjuku.

Citibank has a bit too much fees which is why I had stopped using them, even though their whole currency exchange thing was easier to do than Tokyo Mitsubishi. But the branch locations were a bit of a pain in the ass once they moved. Though the East side one isnt too bad to get to.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Has Shinsei changed recently or something? Pretty sure when I opened my personal account with them ~8 years ago I just did it online.. for some reason I don't think I ever walked into an actual branch of theirs ever. It was just a random account though, I didn't even use it after a year or two. All of my real accounts/cards are MUFJ.

Parakeetman

Has Shinsei changed recently or something? Pretty sure when I opened my personal account with them ~8 years ago I just did it online.. for some reason I don't think I ever walked into an actual branch of theirs ever. It was just a random account though, I didn't even use it after a year or two. All of my real accounts/cards are MUFJ.

Im considering opening a post office account also, since I know the post office isnt going anywhere any time soon and are located all over the country unlike my current banks that Im signed up with... D:

Thats I suppose the largest draw of having a post office account. They are literally everywhere in Japan.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Yeah I have one of those too.. I have a ton of local bank accounts all over Kansai/Shikoku too lol..

Top Bottom