• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Yeah I have one of those too.. I have a ton of local bank accounts all over Kansai/Shikoku too lol..

When I actually get some time will open one up. Right now its a bit impossible with the work schedule... D:

Want to keep certain funds separate and accessible at all locations which the post office might be the best for. Mizuho is a great bank too, but not really the best for trying to find a bank at all times...

KtSlime

Im considering opening a post office account also, since I know the post office isnt going anywhere any time soon and are located all over the country unlike my current banks that Im signed up with... D:

Thats I suppose the largest draw of having a post office account. They are literally everywhere in Japan.

I like my Post account, the people at my local branch are incredibly nice, friendly, and helpful. They say hi to me whenever I run across one of them on my way to the station. Online banking with them was a bit of a hassle which was my original draw to shinsei, plus shinsei is right on my way to work and they never charge me any fees. What I would really like is a Japanese credit card, but those are a pain to get. LOL.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Are you working a real job or only there temporarily as some student/bartender/teacher?

Parakeetman

I like my Post account, the people at my local branch are incredibly nice, friendly, and helpful. They say hi to me whenever I run across one of them on my way to the station. Online banking with them was a bit of a hassle which was my original draw to shinsei, plus shinsei is right on my way to work and they never charge me any fees. What I would really like is a Japanese credit card, but those are a pain to get. LOL.

Yeah I still have not bothered to get a JP CC yet. Will eventually have to in the future though. But for the moment still make do with my US one. Even though there are times that drive me batshit insane with not having one... D:

Are you working a real job or only there temporarily as some student/bartender/teacher?

Been here 13 years about. So that should answer your question.

KtSlime

Me? Sort of a real job. I work full time for an eikaiwa company. I don't have to leave anytime soon as they keep letting me renew my contract, but no I don't have the fabled eijyuu visa status.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Been here 13 years about. So that should answer your question.

Lol..not really.. I've met plenty of lifers from all those things. If you're saying you do have a real job, do they not have a corporate card? That was an easy first step in the door. If you've been there that long surely you've financed something or own property. Why wouldn't you have a credit card?

Me? Sort of a real job. I work for an eikaiwa company. I don't have to leave anytime soon as they keep letting me renew my contract, but no I don't have the fabled eijyuu visa status.

Well, ok, we'll stop there then. You can always do something like co-sign a financed car with someone and build a bit of trust with a bank, but without a decent income and some assets.. good luck.

Parakeetman

Lol..not really.. I've met plenty of lifers from all those things. If you're saying you do have a real job, do they not have a corporate card? That was an easy first step in the door. If you've been there that long surely you've financed something or own property. Why wouldn't you have a credit card?

Well, ok, we'll stop there then. You can always do something like co-sign a financed car with someone and build a bit of trust with a bank, but without a decent income and some assets.. good luck.

Because I dont need a JP CC and as stated already have a perfectly fine and functional US one. Love how folks just assume others are willing to give away all information regarding their own situations in country to a bunch of strangers.

Seriously folks that have an attitude like yours Im even less likely to converse with truthfully to be blunt.

On top of that there is no point in purchasing property if you are still not 100% certain you are going to be living in country permanently. Though if things do continue perhaps might be moving in that direction eventually. As it really is stupid to be renting a place this long and having done the calculations pretty much could have bought my own damned place by now really. But thats besides the fact and always easier to think that way when it comes to the past lol. If I lived outside of Tokyo such as in the country like Nagano or something then more than likely I would have owned property a few years ago. Here in Tokyo not so much.

Company stuff was for a startup company which had a fairly large sum of money and with all the official documentation showing the bank that everything would be ready to be transferred over once an account was set up. Asides from also having things in Japanese too showing the same information on top of all the other potential legal documents that would be required and other Japanese formalities. Tokyo Mitsubishi was hardly a hassle at all and just took the usual average time when it comes to setting up an account. No unnecessary questions and they were highly appreciative to have all the proper documents in order which helped them on their side make sure the process went smoothly.

Out of all the banks here by far Shinsei still has been the most puzzling. But its just that particular branch.

I'm an expert

Well, you win the out of nowhere post of the day award. Sorry I offended you by having a conversation about the topic at hand..I guess.

To be a bit clearer, you said above you need one in the future but you've been there for a long enough period to scratch that off the list. I wasn't looking for your life story, just why you never got to it before as it should be no issue to get one. But whatever mang, do you.

Ok you edited after I edited so now here's another edit..

Ok. You said you'd been there for 13 years..I didn't even think to assume you don't plan to be there permanently. As you just said, if you've been renting there that long it's pretty silly. Although, a credit card has nothing to do with permanency.. it's just an every day convenience. I also didn't mean your current situation, which sounds like you set up a business (gratz), I meant whatever you had been doing before. If you were working at an established company you would have had access to a corporate card. That plus, I assumed, your years of acquired assets and your length of stay/visa type would easily acquire you a credit card.

That's all I was saying lol.

Parakeetman

Well, you win the out of nowhere post of the day award. Sorry I offended you by having a conversation about the topic at hand..I guess.

To be a bit clearer, you said above you need one in the future but you've been there for a long enough period to scratch that off the list. I wasn't looking for your life story, just why you never got to it before as it should be no issue to get one. But whatever mang, do you.

Since it seems like Ill be staying here on a more permanent basis would make things a bit easier for a while just to have one even if I dont use it. Would make a lot more of the financials easier for book keeping and not have to worry about the whole USD to JPY conversion thing. Most of the situations where Ive run into where Id need a JP CC have been minor stuff, which is why I never bothered with it in the past asides from the initial one had tried to sign up with Citibank a long time ago when I still had an account with them.

For a while was not sure if Id be transferred to the US or not. Before that a different location, which is why Ive just kept the same place as things are simple, town is convenient.

Im sure could have gotten one if necessary but never bothered after as it wasnt much of a large issue. Though for company related meetings and whatnots yeah having one would have made doing all the expenses / tax paperwork a lot easier thats for sure. Just at the time we all had agreed to say fuck it to doing so lol.

I'm an expert

I edited above with more so you can take that as my overall reply. Again, sorry I assumed, but 13 years.. yeah.. I'm not sure how you see still see that as a temporary blip on your resume or in your life.

edit: got it, read your edit, all good.. I wasn't asking to pry, just sort of following the common steps that a foreign worker may obtain a card.. I don't need to know about your visas or jobs or whatever lol.

Parakeetman

I edited above with more so you can take that as my overall reply. Again, sorry I assumed, but 13 years.. yeah.. I'm not sure how you see still see that as a temporary blip on your resume or in your life.

Long, long, long learning experience is more what I see it as lol. and expensive... Just got to roll with it one thing for sure is there are a lot more opportunities here than back home where Im from. Just need to make the best of it and the situation at hand.

At least another plus is if the city life doesnt work out I can just move over to Nagano and start over which would be perfectly fine with the simple life. Already have things in place for that if it ever occurs. But for the time being everything is going well with work and should be moving upwards once again. Wearing a suit again will be interesting...

Its interesting to see other Gaffers experience in country permanent or as visitors from threads like these. Since everyone has different views of things / their situations and whatnots.
---

On topic heres another link for ATM information for those traveling to Japan. It also talks about the whole issue with how 7-11 changed slightly with what cards they accept.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2208.html

Also medical information

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/arrange/essential/emergency/ill.html

For US citizens info in regards to bringing your own personal use medication into the country. (since it was a topic earlier, granted was with someone from the UK.)
http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-medimport.html

General information for those coming into the country with personal medication.
http://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/policy/health-medical/pharmaceuticals/01.html

Trojan X

Banned
I said it before but i say it again. It is wonderful to see everyone so supportive here.

If anyone is interested, i wouldn't mind joining in for a Japan GAF meet-up. I think even visitors woukd love to join in for that too.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I said it before but i say it again. It is wonderful to see everyone so supportive here.

If anyone is interested, i wouldn't mind joining in for a Japan GAF meet-up. I think even visitors woukd love to join in for that too.

I'm not in Tokyo from 7/31 to 8/9 more or less. (Yakushima there I go).

Count me in! :)

My wife and I are hoping to visit Japan in May 2015. We're talking about what foods we want to try and ramen came up, definitely since we were having a bowl of pho at the time. She asked me about the swirly thing seen in anime ramen and I have no idea. Can GAF help? What is this and what does it taste like:

Dxjo15Z.jpg

Parakeetman

My wife and I are hoping to visit Japan in May 2015. We're talking about what foods we want to try and ramen came up, definitely since we were having a bowl of pho at the time. She asked me about the swirly thing seen in anime ramen and I have no idea. Can GAF help? What is this and what does it taste like:

Dxjo15Z.jpg

thats called narutomaki which is usually made fron fish and other stuff.

apologize for not being able to provide a link as am on my mobile device but if you search using narutomaki as you search topic it should come up

Desmond

If there's a Japan GAF meetup count me in.

In Tokyo the first week in
September, then living in Kyoto afterwards.

Anyone have any suggestions about cell phones for a one year period?

Two weeks GAF! Two weeks and I fly out to Tokyo. I just tried calling my hotels to verify my reservations, and man was that weird. The Tokyo Dome Hotel, being a large business hotel in the middle of the city, naturally had little problem getting a decent english speaker and everything was easily confirmed. When I called the Fuji mountain hut I got someone who did not speak much English, but combined with my one semester of community college Japanese I was able to provide a booking number and she responded with the correct date, so I'm pretty sure I'm good there.

The ryoukan I'm staying at, no luck yet. The guy who answered straight up said he didn't speak english. I'm a little worried because the phone number on the confirmation email, and the phone number on their website is different. So I'm concerned that I may have just called some random Japanese dude by accident.

Yo I'm bumping this because the buffet thread reminded me of it:

Ooooh I have one more buffet to talk up; Yakiniku Rokko, in Osaka. I believe it's in the Dotonbori area, if my memory is right.

All you can eat steak, tons of different varieties (including real ass Kobe beef), rice, side dishes, etc for 2 hours. It was heavenly.

Staff's English absolutely destroys mine, and they were absolutely phenomenal to me, even though I was the only person upstairs when I was there (I came right at opening and they were getting ready for a party).

If you're ever in Osaka, go there. Eat, drink, be merry.

Also, I skipped Kyoto when on my Osaka trip because I believed it needed more than a day to truly enjoy. Now I've got a reason to come back! :p

Zyzyxxz

I'm going to be in Tokyo for a week at the end of November.

I know what high end restaurants I want to visit but any recommendations for good value eats in Tokyo. Also I'm having trouble deciding what neighborhood I want to stay in as I will be booking a place on AirBnB.

red13th

I leave to Tokyo this Sunday, so nervous and excited at the same time!

Yo I'm bumping this because the buffet thread reminded me of it:

Ooooh I have one more buffet to talk up; Yakiniku Rokko, in Osaka. I believe it's in the Dotonbori area, if my memory is right.

All you can eat steak, tons of different varieties (including real ass Kobe beef), rice, side dishes, etc for 2 hours. It was heavenly.

Staff's English absolutely destroys mine, and they were absolutely phenomenal to me, even though I was the only person upstairs when I was there (I came right at opening and they were getting ready for a party).

If you're ever in Osaka, go there. Eat, drink, be merry.

Also, I skipped Kyoto when on my Osaka trip because I believed it needed more than a day to truly enjoy. Now I've got a reason to come back! :p

Ooh nice tip, we're staying close to Dotombori so we'll check this one out.

EDIT: lol it's one block away from where we're staying.

JulianImp

With the preparations for my trip coming along nicely, I now have some new question for you guys:

1. Are there any festivals I should check out during my trip (between September 8th and October 6th or so)?
  2. How should I handle asking for directions? Here in Argentina it's common to ask even random passerby for directions, which isn't seen as rude or tactless at all, but I guess it might be different in Japan
  3. Is there anywhere I could be getting maps and other tourism-related information whenever I arrive to a new city or region? I'm talking physical maps, since I won't be able to access the internet outside of wi-fi hotspots
  4. While I'd love to visit the Ghibli Museum during my trip, it seems like there's no way for me to pre-purchase tickets from Argentina. Would I be able to go there even if I'm only able to buy the ticket after arriving to Japan?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
With the preparations for my trip coming along nicely, I now have some new question for you guys:

1. Are there any festivals I should check out during my trip (between September 8th and October 6th or so)?
  2. How should I handle asking for directions? Here in Argentina it's common to ask even random passerby for directions, which isn't seen as rude or tactless at all, but I guess it might be different in Japan
  3. Is there anywhere I could be getting maps and other tourism-related information whenever I arrive to a new city or region? I'm talking physical maps, since I won't be able to access the internet outside of wi-fi hotspots
  4. While I'd love to visit the Ghibli Museum during my trip, it seems like there's no way for me to pre-purchase tickets from Argentina. Would I be able to go there even if I'm only able to buy the ticket after arriving to Japan?

1 - What things do you like
2 - Should be fine, though best option is just rent a mobile wifi hotspot thing and use a maps app.
3 - ^ ^ ^
4 - Yeah that's fine.

Re: Ghibli Museum. Maybe, depends on which day you want to go. The tickets are released a month beforehand and generally sell out pretty quickly, especially on weekends and holidays. I went up to Tokyo a few weeks ago and I'm planning to go again next month - and both times the tickets sold out too quickly for me to get them.

JulianImp

1 - What things do you like
2 - Should be fine, though best option is just rent a mobile wifi hotspot thing and use a maps app.
3 - ^ ^ ^
4 - Yeah that's fine.

1- I was thinking about some kind of autumn festivals, since the season begins on September 21st and I guessed there'd be some kind of celebration somewhere
2 & 3- I just did a search about those wi-fi dongles on this thread, and it seems there're some paid options, as well as a free tourist pass that's good in several parts of eastern Japan but only last for fourteen days (http://flets.com/freewifi/index.html). Also, since I haven't used any map apps yet, does anyone know if there're any for Android that'd allow me to save/cache parts of a map for offline access, in case I'm out of range of free hotspots and/or my wi-fi dongle runs out of power halfway through the day?

@shanshan310: Unless there's some kind of special event on weekends or holidays I shouldn't miss, I don't care if I have to go on a weekday if it means getting a ticket.

Oh, there's another thing I'd like to know about: how much money should I add to my budget for spending a night at a ryokan rather than a cheaper hotel room? I was thinking about going to at least one, and perhaps a couple more if I happen to like the first (but probably no more than three times total).

Is there anywhere I could be getting maps and other tourism-related information whenever I arrive to a new city or region? I'm talking physical maps, since I won't be able to access the internet outside of wi-fi hotspots

Yes. Go to the JNTO tourist information centers:
http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/arrange/travel/guide/voffice.html

The free guide book/map they have for each city is extra useful since it also got some discount stuff in them.

Desmond

Guys I have a query about visas. I have received my COE from my university but I still have to fill out a visa application form. My home university says to put down just the Japanese university for the sections about guarantor, persons with whom the person is staying etc. Is this ok?

Parakeetman

Guys I have a query about visas. I have received my COE from my university but I still have to fill out a visa application form. My home university says to put down just the Japanese university for the sections about guarantor, persons with whom the person is staying etc. Is this ok?

truthfully you might want to ask the consulate about that to get the best answer and have any other questions answered too without mistake.

Desmond

In and out of the embassy in 5 minutes. Was told as long as I had the COE I needn't worry about those parts of the forms. Visa will be ready on Tuesday as Monday is a holiday.

Parakeetman

In and out of the embassy in 5 minutes. Was told as long as I had the COE I needn't worry about those parts of the forms. Visa will be ready on Tuesday as Monday is a holiday.

fantastic glad to hear it all went well and you got the info needed!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So when we go to Japan, is it REALLY worth the price for 2 to eat at Jiro? My wife and I were talking about it last night, and since it will run nearly $1000, it doesn't seem worth it given how many amazing sushi restaurants will be at our disposal...

Anyone eat there that can comment?

Parakeetman

So when we go to Japan, is it REALLY worth the price for 2 to eat at Jiro? My wife and I were talking about it last night, and since it will run nearly $1000, it doesn't seem worth it given how many amazing sushi restaurants will be at our disposal...

Truthfully dont eat somewhere because its popular, regardless of how good others / tv programs may say it is. You might just find something just as enjoyable by wandering around not to mention affordable.

If you are already questioning the decision Id suggest against it :)

Since in general a lot of the food quality in Japan is pretty good, am sure it wont be a problem to find another place easily. Just punching a quick search to google would bring up various hits.

http://www.ladyironchef.com/2013/11/tokyo-affordable-sushi-restaurants/

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/japan/tokyo/restaurants/sushi-sashimi

http://www.luxeat.com/blog/30-sushi-restaurants-tabelog-users/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g298184-c38-Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto.html

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
If anyone is interested, i wouldn't mind joining in for a Japan GAF meet-up

oh definitely - i may come out of retirement! ;)

Its interesting to see other Gaffers experience in country permanent or as visitors from threads like these. Since everyone has different views of things / their situations and whatnots.

yup - Japan life seems to whizz by - i'll be into year 15 in a couple of weeks. I planned in spending 4 years here tops and things just panned out differently.

Seems everyone eventually has the regret on housing - i bought in 2009 and i would wax lyrical about how i should have just bought much earlier with my then-girlfriend-now-wife. But hey - you don't know how that will turn out, i certainly didn't have enough to put a big enough dent in a decent mortgage then either and the house market was in a slump when we bought so we got in at a good time... but that's by fluke rather than planning.

Banking - ugh - i switched from Citi to Mizuho - part of the agreement for them giving me a mortgage. Good god damn... I will eventually reopen a citi account and just have mortgage and bill payment cash going to Mizuho and have my day to day and international transfers go via citi. Miz are hitting me for 5,500 yen per transfer. At Citi, as long as you are over a certain amount, are basically free up to a certain number of transfers. Should never have left - sure the charges at the start are crap with citi but once you build up a balance they are way ahead of Miz.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

My japanese colleagues seem to believe they are overhyped, but I suspect that they haven't actually tried it for themselves.

DCharlie

unless you are really really really really really into sushi, i'd spend the money elsewhere.

Not personally been, wife has been - the food is great but for that price you could have -several- exceptionally good meals elsewhere.

If , however, you are a sushi nut? Then it's probably gloriously amazing.

Also whoever comes to Japan bring my peanut butter.

there's no Kaldi or Seijo-ishii nearby?
Hell, i think our local Seiyu started stocking it now it has full on Asda/wallmart cross over goods.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
there's no Kaldi or Seijo-ishii nearby?
Hell, i think our local Seiyu started stocking it now it has full on Asda/wallmart cross over goods.

I can buy like..top-value tier peanut butter but its small and ¥300 or something. たけぇぇぇぇぇ

DCharlie

I can buy like..top-value tier peanut butter but its small and ¥300 or something. たけぇぇぇぇぇ

ah yes, there is always the honky goods tax.

Always forget this on imported salsa dip and then realise as the 600+ yen rings through at the till.... :/

DCharlie

i see jojoen on that list - that place man.... the bill there can end up quite horrific.

I'm all about the Gyukaku 2980 yen tabehodai 70 minute course with the 1480 yen nomihodai top up. #cheapasseater.

Top Bottom