• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
i see jojoen on that list - that place man.... the bill there can end up quite horrific.

I'm all about the Gyukaku 2980 yen tabehodai 70 minute course with the 1480 yen nomihodai top up. #cheapasseater.

gyukaku food quality has kinda gone down the shitter big time tho i used to like them not so much anymore

JulianImp

As I get ever closer to having everything in place for my trip, I'm now drawing up a simple budget.

I've seen Sakura House's prices are really cheap, since common rooms are about ¥45K/mo and individual rooms for sleeping in are ¥75K/mo, compared to the TGS's recommended places, which are all over the 7K/night mark, so a stay longer than ten days is enough to make Sakura House a better option. However, SH only has places around Tokyo, which seems to be somewhat far away from Makuhari Messe (located in Mihama, Chiba).

I've been considering getting a JR pass so I can move around Tokyo, so I was thinking that being more train stops away won't be that much of an issue. How long should I expect a Tokyo-Mihama commute to be?

So far my planned budget covers the following:
  • Food: ¥2,000-2,500 / day (probably 4-5K for special ocassions?)
  • JR Pass: about ¥56,000 (21-day regular pass) or 48K for a 14-day pass (depends on how long I end up staying around the Tokyo area, but I'll definitely have to use my last day to take a shinkansen to Kyoto)
  • NEX one-way (Narita-Tokyo): ¥1,500
  • Housing: ¥45,000 / mo (Sakura House), then 7-8K / night for each night spent in Kyoto and other non-Sakura House places. Private dormitory SH option is 75K/mo instead of 45
  • Wi-Fi: Free 14-day pass for my stay around Tokyo, at the very least. Also, are there any public or shop-owned hotspots that I could use to check on e-mails and stuff at least once a day without having to pay for a wi-fi dongle?
  • Train-related stuff around Kyoto: Don't know yet. How much money should I expect to spend during my 6-7 day-long stay around the area?
  • Return shinkansen trip (Kyoto-Tokyo): Don't know, but will probably look it up later since it's a single ticket
  • Extra train trips around Tokyo after returning from Kyoto: Dunno, will probably stay for a day or two at most
  • Return trip from Tokyo to Narita Airport: Around ¥3,500
  • Coin laundries: ~¥300-500 / use (probably two or three times per week)
  • Ryokans: Dunno... probably one or two nights at best
  • Museum/exhibition ticket fees: No research on the subject yet. I'd probably like to visit some historical places, parks and shrines (both shintoist and budhist ones, I guess), but also some classical art exhibits. Suggestions would be appreciated

For my two-week stay in Tokyo, and excluding the things I haven't looked up yet, I'd be looking at spending ¥154,100 or 184,100; depending on what I end up choosing for my stay at Sakura House. Relevant expenses that I'm still unsure about are all transportation and housing costs for my one-week stay around the Kyoto area, which I'd be guesstimating as an additional 75K (50K for housing, and half that for transportation). Finally there's the "buy something cool" budget, which would be around 25-35K for artbooks, souvenirs and gifts. All in all, my budget would be around the ¥300K range, but I'm not sure if that'd cut it for enjoying some fancy stuff every now and then.

JR Pass: about ¥56,000 (21-day regular pass) or 48K for a 14-day pass (depends on how long I end up staying around the Tokyo area, but I'll definitely have to use my last day to take a shinkansen to Kyoto)

DON'T. Get a 7-day pass for your trip to Kyoto at most.

JulianImp

DON'T. Get a 7-day pass for your trip to Kyoto at most.

But can I buy a 7-day pass and activate it at any time? I was under the assumption that it'd start counting down as soon as I arrived to Japan, so it'd be great if that wasn't the case.

Also, would it be wise to get a pre-paid card, or would region and train company changes make it more worthwhile to stick with purchasing tickets by hand?

But can I buy a 7-day pass and activate it at any time? I was under the assumption that it'd start counting down as soon as I arrived to Japan, so it'd be great if that wasn't the case.

Also, would it be wise to get a pre-paid card, or would region and train company changes make it more worthwhile to stick with purchasing tickets by hand?

The JR Pass must be activated within 3 months of you getting the exchange order, and you can choose a date up till 1 month into the future when you do the exchange.

Get a suica/pasmo card for traveling in Tokyo.

Other things:
- If you're only staying in Kyoto itself, then it's a bus city. You can get day passes for the buses that cost 500 JPY.
- Trains from Tokyo to TGS (Kaihin-Makuhari Station) will be about 30-40 mins from Tokyo Station. They cost about 550 one way JPY.

Just curious, could I use my phone NFC for the trains in Tokyo? I don't really have any idea how it works there. In Chicago, there's multiple ways to pay for the El train. Either buy a disposable card at a kiosk that you put insert into the machine, you can get a reloadable card with an RFID chip to tap at the turnstyle, or if you have a phone with NFC and use Google Wallet or ISIS you can just tap and it charges your credit card directly. Does the subway system in Japan work the same way, or do you have to have a specific app or sign up for something to pay for trains with NFC?

Just curious, could I use my phone NFC for the trains in Tokyo? I don't really have any idea how it works there. In Chicago, there's multiple ways to pay for the El train. Either buy a disposable card at a kiosk that you put insert into the machine, you can get a reloadable card with an RFID chip to tap at the turnstyle, or if you have a phone with NFC and use Google Wallet or ISIS you can just tap and it charges your credit card directly. Does the subway system in Japan work the same way, or do you have to have a specific app or sign up for something to pay for trains with NFC?

You need a specific app. It's easier to just get a card if you're a tourist I think, but if you want to know more:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/mobilesuica/index.html

JulianImp

The JR Pass must be activated within 3 months of you getting the exchange order, and you can choose a date up till 1 month into the future when you do the exchange.

Get a suica/pasmo card for traveling in Tokyo.

Other things:
- If you're only staying in Kyoto itself, then it's a bus city. You can get day passes for the buses that cost 500 JPY.
- Trains from Tokyo to TGS (Kaihin-Makuhari Station) will be about 30-40 mins from Tokyo Station. They cost about 550 one way JPY.

Duly noted. Fares and commute times from Tokyo to TGS certainly don't look bad, since 30-40 minutes is the time it takes me to arrive to work on bus every day.

Is it actually recommended to stay a whole week in the Kyoto area alone, or would it be better if I left for some other Kansai-based locations as well? Those bus day passes certainly sound tempting for doing lots of sightseeing with minimal travel costs, but are there any specific places where I'd have to get them from?

Thanks for replying so soon both times, by the way!

Is it actually recommended to stay a whole week in the Kyoto area alone, or would it be better if I left for some other Kansai-based locations as well? Those bus day passes certainly sound tempting for doing lots of sightseeing with minimal travel costs, but are there any specific places where I'd have to get them from?

You can take day trips to both Osaka and Nara from Kyoto (or maybe even go to Hiroshima or Kobe if you have a JR Pass).

When I visited Kyoto I bought the bus passes at the hostel I stayed at, but you should be able to get them at Kyoto station, from the bus drivers (as long as they've not run out for the day) and probably some more locations. Maybe somebody else knows more.

Sykra

Nice thread ^^
I'll be staying in Tokyo for one month as I do a medical exchange. Basically i'll have 4 weekends (thursday-sunday) to travel across country. My planned trips are as follows: 1st weekend - stuff around tokyo, day trips to Nikko, Kamakura, Hakone etc.
2nd weekend - Kyoto, Nara (maybe Osaka, but I feel as if Kyoto is more worth to spend two days in.
3rd weekend - Himeji, Hiroshima, Miyojima
4th weekend - this one I am not sure about, I want to go somewhere that's not so touristy probably, so im mainly wondering if anyone has any suggestions for this one. As i'll have a JR pass id prefer not to fly anywhere :)

So if anyone can help me with the 4th weekend + any suggestions for the previous weekends I would be thankful.

I'm currently in Tokyo and it has around 34 degree C or over 90 degree F.

F**k me..

yeah and humid as fxxx
Nice thread ^^
I'll be staying in Tokyo for one month as I do a medical exchange. Basically i'll have 4 weekends (thursday-sunday) to travel across country. My planned trips are as follows: 1st weekend - stuff around tokyo, day trips to Nikko, Kamakura, Hakone etc.
2nd weekend - Kyoto, Nara (maybe Osaka, but I feel as if Kyoto is more worth to spend two days in.
4th weekend - this one I am not sure about, I want to go somewhere that's not so touristy probably, so im mainly wondering if anyone has any suggestions for this one. As i'll have a JR pass id prefer not to fly anywhere :)

So if anyone can help me with the 4th weekend + any suggestions for the previous weekends I would be thankful.
osaka is worth it. especially dottonbori. dendentown is however not worth it in comparison to akihabara.
also visit amanohashidatte and/or kinosaki onsen

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I've started doing the salaryman hankerchief wipe thing when I'm outside all day. Kind of bothersome to have it in hand essentially the entire day I'm outside, but sweat eliminated.

Parakeetman

I've started doing the salaryman hankerchief wipe thing when I'm outside all day. Kind of bothersome to have it in hand essentially the entire day I'm outside, but sweat eliminated.

Nothing to be ashamed of since at least keeps you presentable looking rather than constantly having sweat dripping everywhere. Not to mention literally everyone does it when the temps are this bad.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Nothing to be ashamed of since at least keeps you presentable looking rather than constantly having sweat dripping everywhere. Not to mention literally everyone does it when the temps are this bad.

Zero shame! Should start rocking the towel headband as well IMO. Construction worker style.

Parakeetman

Zero shame! Should start rocking the towel headband as well IMO. Construction worker style.

Seriously though these past few days have been hell. Last night we had some insane lightning flying around too. Shit was going sidewards and pretty low too.

Desmond

Looking at hotels in Tokyo, (I think I saw someone recommend the MyStays franchise) this may be a stupid question but is there any chance you can be "locked out" out of the hotel. I plan to meet up with friends and if I'm out late drinking then wander back after midnight, I won't have an issue getting into the hotel? I was gonna book off airbnb but I'd rather not pay the whole fee when booking as most are asking, and hotels seem to be cheaper.

Apologies for all the questions. Lol

Parakeetman

Looking at hotels in Tokyo, (I think I saw someone recommend the MyStays franchise) this may be a stupid question but is there any chance you can be "locked out" out of the hotel. I plan to meet up with friends and if I'm out late drinking then wander back after midnight, I won't have an issue getting into the hotel? I was gonna book off airbnb but I'd rather not pay the whole fee when booking as most are asking, and hotels seem to be cheaper.

Generally not, but if its a real cheap place who knows really? You are best off reading what the hotel says. But for the most part dont believe that the majority of them would do that at all. Esp considering how many business hotels this has for all the company employees who are constantly on the move.

I stayed at MyStays Ochanomizu, but I was never out after midnight. The door keycard I got was needed for operating the elevator too, so I don't think they'd just lock the front door.

But it's better to just contact the specific hotel directly and ask I guess?

When I was looking at ryokans online some would specifically state if there was or wasn't a curfew, so you'd probably just need to pay a close attention to their website to know for sure.

This is actually a thing that happens from time to time in some Japanese hotels. Some really old school ones will keep all room keys at the front desk even after you check in, and you're supposed to drop your key off at the front desk when you leave for the day. And then at some of those places the front desk isn't open 24 hours, so it's possible you could get locked out. Buuuut, those kind of places are really rare these days for hotels and slightly less rare for ryokan.

It blows my mind how construction worker, EMT or police men can walk around in full gear without problems.

I want to stay inside my cool hotel room and watch Japanese game shows instead..

Resilient

Nice thread ^^

Denden town is definitely worth it and can compete with Akihabara

TCRS

Banned
In case you're wondering how much it costs to rent a flat in Tokyo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=...=A3dM5nqby_g&feature=player_detailpage#t=2026

damn. with key money and furniture etc. you will need at least $7000 I'm guessing.

I love these guys' videos. A lot of foreign bloggers in japan go down the cutsie/hanging out with friends in the park/festival type of videos. kyde and eric have those kind of videos as well, but they're a lot more grounded and deal with a lot of RL stuff as well.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Gaijin 'living in japan' YouTube vlogs

hLnhotj.png

Also there's some charity boob touching event in Shinjuku this month lol. Like idol handshakes but lewd.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I skimmed the video but their rent is pretty cheap and their normal at lease signing fees aren't even that high. I've paid around that on places on Kyushuu/Shikoku lol. Least they were smart to find a place without reikin, but got slapped with shikikin. Double zero places are much more popular but obviously scarce. In comparison, I drop around $8000 at the sign of lease when I move around here in Jersey.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Rora is amazing. And good looking. Izumi has been annoying for years upon years..

KtSlime

Rora is amazing. And good looking. Izumi has been annoying for years upon years..
Don't get me wrong, I love her too, absolutely gorgeous. But the girls I talk to tend to pull out their claws at her mention haha. I don't watch enough TV to really form an opinion about any of the celebs, let alone halfs.

I'm an expert

She's much better in her natural black hair form and without the fake accent obviously.. I'd take Jun or Meisa over her though.

Top Bottom