• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Thanks! I had the yurikamome ride once already, on the way to last winter comiket. So going in the late afternoon would probably be best?

Yeah, that way if the trip turns out to be a bust you can at least appreciate the lights and colors of all the buildings and structures around at night.

I'm not aware of any midday-specific things that go on there that would it worth an earlier visit however.

Is there much to see in Odaiba? Wondering how much time to plan.

Cheers.

I spent a whole day there. The Toyota Mega Web + museum, ferris wheel, Gundam statue outside DiverCity, the Capcom store in Aquacity, the Statue of Libery copy and lots of shopping stuff to check out there.

It has the Miraikan which I've not been to yet as well. Tokyo Joypolis and Madam Tussauds could be interesting I guess? And there's Legoland Discovery Center which has a model of Tokyo that's cool, but not much else.

Edit: The not much else part was just about Legoland, not Odaiba as a whole.

WasMachinator

Neo Member
When I was there a light show on the fuji building was running in the evening. Which was quite nice, with a good soundtrack under it and everything.

You can probably take a short ferry ride around the Rainbow Bridge and back. Would be nice at night when the bridge and Odaiba are all lit up, maybe on a cool but not cold night with someone next to you that could use a little warming up with an arm around the shoulder, or someone who could provide the same to you. Basically, Odaiba is a great date spot.

Torraz

If you are going with someone you can always spend some time on the beach, too. I spent quite a while there then going to the Onsen at night which felt great in December.

You can probably take a short ferry ride around the Rainbow Bridge and back. Would be nice at night when the bridge and Odaiba are all lit up, maybe on a cool but not cold night with someone next to you that could use a little warming up with an arm around the shoulder, or someone who could provide the same to you. Basically, Odaiba is a great date spot.
Traveling solo at the moment, but i will keep it in mind ;).

December, January, and February is too cold. March and April rains a lot. May is the start of summer which heats up very quickly, and it is also high season in respect to flights. June, July, and August is stupidly hot at times. September is still high season. October and early November have some great temperatures, its the end of high season, if you come early you'll still have that summer feeling and if you come in the mid then you'll experience the beautiful Autumn changes.

Makes sense?

What is too cold for you? Is that the main reason for you?

Or are there other things, like stuff being closed and shorter days?

I am looking at early december. And I love the cold! :) I used to live in Iowa/Illinois.

I think it will be awesome. I romanticize cold weather, so I am weird about that. My only worry is if we slide till the christmas season because of work schedules. And how that affects what is open or not.

J-Man

I just booked tickets to fly to Tokyo in September, and I'm super excited! Fly out of Ottawa on the 16th, and fly home on the 25th. Staying at a hotel in Shinjuku.

I've reading through this thread to get some good ideas on what to go and see. I'm going during TGS as I've wanted to go to TGS since I was a kid, reading about the conference in game magazines.

Thinking of catching a Sumo match as it is going in while I'm there. Not that I'm a fan of the sport, but I does seem like an interesting thing to check out.

The only thing curbing my excitement is that this is the first time I've travelled alone, and that nervousness is compounded by the language barrier, but that is also part of the adventure. I tried to go last year with a buddy, but those plans didn't materialize, so I just booked it to go solo this time.

Sumo is a great thing to see, definitely worth the train fare to Ryogoku. Even if you don't really understand what's going on or who anyone is it's still a fun spectacle. The biggest hitters always face off last. However, if you go early instead you might be able to buy just cheap nosebleed seat tickets and then sneak down to the ringside seats. The people shelling out the big bucks for those seats usually don't show up until the end, and the ushers don't really check tickets or care.

Trojan X

Banned
What is too cold for you? Is that the main reason for you?

Or are there other things, like stuff being closed and shorter days?

I am looking at early december. And I love the cold! :) I used to live in Iowa/Illinois.

I think it will be awesome. I romanticize cold weather, so I am weird about that. My only worry is if we slide till the christmas season because of work schedules. And how that affects what is open or not.

Well, remember that I was responding to The Uchiha. S/he asked when is the best month to go to Japan and I highlighted it with reasons. I think those reasons are valid when you talk in general terms, but otherwise everything is always "each to their own".

despite being a 10min walk from JR as opposed to 5min, tokyustay shibuya has much better reviews - i was tossing up between both and went with shibuya over shin-minamiguchi. apparently all the tokyustay's are pretty great for the price though so i doubt there's much difference in it.

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like it's more expensive though too, so I've gotta stick with cheap. :)

Shimokitazawa.

Looks like a pretty interesting hood, thanks!

SGRU

I'd like to buy a few things in Tokyo, batteries for my camera, SD cards, maybe a tablet... Where should I look first?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Looks like a pretty interesting hood, thanks!

yup - i live pretty close to Shimo - place is pretty awesome, very studenty, lots of interesting small shops and a great vibe to it.

Re : Odiaba - i'd disagree that there's not much to do

The Gundam statue is there, the science museum is there, there's a couple of fun shopping places, lots of places to eat, Cirque de soleil, a retro arcade, a beach, the fun lights of the FujiTV building, the ride there is an event, Sega Joyopolis, Legoland, Cinema, Zepp (you could get lucky and see a band) and i'm sure a whole lot more that i don't recall like the mini-statue of liberty and the amazing number of awesome photos you could snap whilst there.

Also - if you are a fan of anime?
http://www.suijobus.co.jp/ship/himiko.html

you can take a boatbus to Odiaba that was designed by Leiji Matsumoto. Did it earlier this year - pretty cool

RE : GAF meet up - please update me as available at night as long as there's a load of warning :)

SKINNER!

Banned
They prefer cash, right? Should I buy yens here before leaving or is it OK to buy in the airport?

The big stores like sofmap and yodobashi definitely accept credit cards. Smaller stores will definitely not accept CCs. Also, never automatically assume that all stores and restaurants in Japan accept credit cards like they do in the US and Europe so take both cash and credit cards just in case a place doesn't accept cards.

Darksol

I don't know if this has been posted here, and sorry if it has, but I enjoyed this person's review of their first trip to Japan - "Japan, and How I Failed to Figure it Out" - http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/07/japan-and-how-i-failed-to-figure-it-out.html

That was cute. But I think he knows a lot less than he let on. It was weird. It felt like he was alternating between giving a history lesson and telling us he's clueless. Which is it buddy?

Not to mention his failure to understand something simple like why onsen staff are generally weary of tattoos.

Still, I admired his enthusiasm, and I'm totally jealous of some of the places he got to visit ^-^

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Update list.

Current GAF list is:

JulianImp
Ayumi
Desmond
DCharlie
AllenShrz
caffeinedreamer
Mercurio (Tentative)
CHusson91
Evilore
Gromph

So, now i accept advice if people wanna go to any specific place, let me know.

I was thinking an Izakaya like: Warayakiya in Akasaka

PS: DCharlie what warnings do you need?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
PS: DCharlie what warnings do you need?

nothing too crazy - just date/general location/time

I work all over Tokyo these days but mainly close to Tokyo station in the finance district

edit : ah i see a place named - yeah, that's fine - within easy strike distance -just need date really so i can warn family :D

AllenShrz

JapanGAF have the Master Card issues been resolved yet? I'm worried I might have to take all my travel money in cash form.

Travel with cash here is the preferred way, is super safe so dont worry too much. Just dont drop it or go to Roppingi with all of it.

Torraz

JapanGAF have the Master Card issues been resolved yet? I'm worried I might have to take all my travel money in cash form.

Used my Dutch Mastercard fine. I purge getting money from Jppost ATMs, as that allows me to visualize better how much i spend.

//stupid question //

On what days do the new shounen jumps start appearing? Was looking forward to reading before a friend, but could only find the old one. So the scanlators steal them from the printing press, or how do they get them out so fast?

Gromph

Staff Member
To everyone in the list:

Weekend or weekdays?

Need to set up a date and make a reservation.

jae

I'm here until mid September, I don't post much but would love to meet up. Anytime after 5PM on weekdays is fine.

Desmond

How about the 6th or 7th? (Kinda trying to make it suit my own schedule. Lol

I have no idea of where anything is in Tokyo, so I can't complain about the venue. I'm staying in Kanda for the week.

Gromph

Staff Member
When's Evilore coming out here?
Any dates set yet?

First two weeks of September, I think?

Correct, From 4th.

weekday night for me is more doable - weekends are family days.

I will try my best, i think i will need to make two GAF-meetup.

I'm here until mid September, I don't post much but would love to meet up. Anytime after 5PM on weekdays is fine.

Ok, will count with you too.

How about the 6th or 7th? (Kinda trying to make it suit my own schedule. Lol

I have no idea of where anything is in Tokyo, so I can't complain about the venue. I'm staying in Kanda for the week.

6th Sounds good i work on 7th tho, but is not a problem.

Who is up for a GAF-Meetup on September 6th.

Is Saturday, so please let me know ASAP to make the reservation.

Ratrat

Does anyone here ever buy tickets(concerts, museums) for people here? I'm asking because someone I don't personally know has asked for help in this regard and I just wonder if there is a reason this could be ill advised?

The person would send me the money, I buy ticket and send to them.

edit: Is there possibly a service that deals with this?

I also live in Tokyo (Setagaya)and I would like to be put on the list for the 6th.

There are ticket counters for tickets of all types everywhere(train/bus/movie/if it has a ticket you can get it here), and you can easily buy tickets in any convenience store from the service kiosk inside one. I don't think it would be ill advised asI have bought tickets for people, or have had tickets purchased for me numerous times. I don't know of any downsides to purchasing them other then if you buy it for someone you don't know and they decide to not pay you for the tickets.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Any suggestions for a breakfast place near Tokyo for a Friday?

We are between Nerima and Itabashi. I think our plan for today (it's 2:30AM right now) is to head toward Skytree.

Any suggestions for a breakfast place near Tokyo for a Friday?

We are between Nerima and Itabashi. I think our plan for today (it's 2:30AM right now) is to head toward Skytree.

"Near Tokyo" doesn't mean a whole lot. But there's a Moomin Café in the mall area below the Skytree!

Desmond

I've just realised that I haven't planned how I'm getting to the city from Narita on Monday.

I arrive a good 5+ hours before hotel check-in so I'd prefer the slowest option, lol. It seems there is a limousine bus. Anyone take that instead of the train?

Top Bottom