• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Less than a week home and I miss Japan so much.I want to go back. :(

I know that feeling. I got back last week myself, so much left undone.

I've just realised that I haven't planned how I'm getting to the city from Narita on Monday.

I arrive a good 5+ hours before hotel check-in so I'd prefer the slowest option, lol. It seems there is a limousine bus. Anyone take that instead of the train?

I took the limousine bus from Narita to Tokyo, but took the Narita Express back. The bus was a good idea for a couple of reasons 1) I didn't have to "figure out" the train system after a 13 hour plane flight, and 2) it stopped at the entrance to my hotel, no walking. If you take the train out from Narita, you have figure out where you need to get off, where you need to transfer, walk from the station to your hotel, etc. Kind of a pain in the ass after a long flight, I could probably do it now given that I know how everything works, but for my first time there I was glad I took the bus.

edit - I think the bus was like 2000-3000 yen or something like that. It was about two hours for me because the Tokyo Dome Hotel was the last stop.

Desmond

Yeah I have. Not sure what else to say. It's a bus ┐(´ー`)┌
(泣)

I know that feeling. I got back last week myself, so much left undone.

I took the limousine bus from Narita to Tokyo, but took the Narita Express back. The bus was a good idea for a couple of reasons 1) I didn't have to "figure out" the train system after a 13 hour plane flight, and 2) it stopped at the entrance to my hotel, no walking. If you take the train out from Narita, you have figure out where you need to get off, where you need to transfer, walk from the station to your hotel, etc. Kind of a pain in the ass after a long flight, I could probably do it now given that I know how everything works, but for my first time there I was glad I took the bus.

edit - I think the bus was like 2000-3000 yen or something like that. It was about two hours for me because the Tokyo Dome Hotel was the last stop.

I'm staying in "Hotel MyStays Kanda", which doesn't like the bus goes by. I assume I can just get off at Tokyo station and hop on a train then.

I plan to power nap on the bus for however long I can.

Is it frequent? The website makes it seem like the earliest departure is 1pm.

I thought I remember the bus being every hour, but that may have just been the specific bus I was on. I got in at like 3:15pm and knew I couldn't make the 4pm bus because of customs/immigration, and trying to find the post office to pick up my MiFi. So it timed out perfectly for the 5pm bus.

I'm staying in "Hotel MyStays Kanda", which doesn't like the bus goes by. I assume I can just get off at Tokyo station and hop on a train then.

I actually stayed there last year, the staff up front is pretty friendly and a few of them can speak English, too. You can just take the bus to Tokyo JR station, then take the train 1 stop north to get to Kanda Station. Leave Kanda from the south exit, then turn left on the big street. Keep walking for about 6 mins or so until you reach under the expressway and it'll be on the corner next to the family mart.

Desmond

I actually stayed there last year, the staff up front is pretty friendly and a few of them can speak English, too. You can just take the bus to Tokyo JR station, then take the train 1 stop north to get to Kanda Station. Leave Kanda from the south exit, then turn left on the big street. Keep walking for about 6 mins or so until you reach under the expressway and it'll be on the corner next to the family mart.
I plan to be using my Japanese whenever possible, but thanks. Sounds great!!

Appreciate it.

Resilient

I've just realised that I haven't planned how I'm getting to the city from Narita on Monday.

I arrive a good 5+ hours before hotel check-in so I'd prefer the slowest option, lol. It seems there is a limousine bus. Anyone take that instead of the train?

Take the train and save yourself 3000 yen. I think te bus is 3000 or 4000 yen. The NEX is 1200 and you are gonna have to figure the trains out eventually. You say you understand and can speak Japanese so you'll be fine.

I dunno why anyone would pick the Limo bus over the NEX. The NEX is faster and cheaper 😥

TransTrender

Gold Member
"Near Tokyo" doesn't mean a whole lot. But there's a Moomin Café in the mall area below the Skytree!
Hah, yeah, I figured it wouldn't be much help and all I really know are the districts. The only other landmark I have is that we're near Hikawadai station for the Y and F lines.

Thanks for the suggestion and we'll check it out!

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Correct, From 4th.

I will try my best, i think i will need to make two GAF-meetup.

Ok, will count with you too.

6th Sounds good i work on 7th tho, but is not a problem.

Who is up for a GAF-Meetup on September 6th.

Is Saturday, so please let me know ASAP to make the reservation.

If you do a weekday / evening one I might be able to go. Am out in Tamachi side currently.

Unfortunately 6-7th 2 business meetings so will be a no go for me. D:

Ayumi

I plan to be using my Japanese whenever possible

lol

I hope you're prepared for being replied to in English. Japanese people are very eager to speak English, even those who can't speak it much. If you meet someone who knows a little English, they will keep trying to talk to you in English, even if you reply in fluent Japanese.

Desmond

lol

I hope you're prepared for being replied to in English. Japanese people are very eager to speak English, even those who can't speak it much. If you meet someone who knows a little English, they will keep trying to talk to you in English, even if you reply in fluent Japanese.
I know :/

Trojan X

Banned
lol

I have been living in Japan for a year and i have never experienced this. The closest i have experienced something remotely like this is when i go to japanese company where everyone can speak english but in terms of the general public, never!

Desmond

I have been living in Japan for a year and i have never experienced this. The closest i have experienced something remotely like this is when i go to japanese company where everyone can speak english but in terms of the general public, never!

I was in Tokushima and Kagawa, and people would start random conversations on the train or at the station.

Hi to the "Jap-Gaf" community :)

i'm organizing my honeymoon in Japan next october, and the classic combo Tokyo-Kyoto-Osaka will be handled by the travel agency, but i'm open to any kind of suggestion about a trip ( 2-3 nights ) near to Mount Fuji of course i've been offered of different spa-resort nearby, i'd like to get some feedback from someone that has been visited personally.. well also i'm interested to some suggestion about which is best location to take great picture of Mount Fuji ( yeah i'm a photo-addicted :) )

and of course any suggestion for other photo opportunity location near Kyoto-Osaka will be extremely welcomed :)

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
"Studying" in Tokushima.

Went to Kagawa on my travels. (Takamatsu and Marugame :L ). Also went to Ehime to vist Dogo Onsen.

In English? Lol

Japanese? Not even close. I meant to say they'd start random conversations in English.

Christ, I leave for Japan this time tomorrow. That summer break flew by.

Oh, I could swear I asked you this before judging from your answers. Unless there's another gafer who randomly studied in tokers.

openrob

Got back yesterday. I had a BLAST.

Spent 8 days all in all there.
Osaka (2 Nights) > Kyoto (2 Nights) Tokyo (4 Nights). Done day trips and stuff as well.

Briefest impressions:

- Japan is clean, and food is good, even if the menus are mostly void of english.

- UK corner shops need to step it up, Combinis are where it's at. Microwave, Kettle, benches, late night opening hours, even in residential areas, WiFi and happy to let you chill there and read magazines!

- Country is real pretty, though I basically was contrasted between 'old' Japan, with beutiful scenery and old temples with Hyper Kawaii Otaku cutesie pent up sex drive culture. Amazing haha.

- I never thought I would randomly get naked witha group of strange Japanese guys - but hey, onsens are the most relaxing things so whateves :p

Got hotel in Tokyo, but Air B&B'd it the rest.Was really good as the hosts were really helpful and took us around the city and stuff, would recommend it if you travel in the future. Usually better priced than hotels and get to meet new people. First was a hyper energetic Aussie english teacher. Second was a mid 30s Japanese lady from Kyoto.
Will post a few pics and stuff soon.

For those who are stationed in MCAS Iwakuni... What is there to do? Should I get my life straight I'm planning on seeing my friend who is stationed out there and will be staying at his home in base rather than getting a hotel.

But it seems so far away from you know, the major tourist cities of Japan.

Ayumi

Was really bothered by a 6 hours long transfer in Amsterdam to Tokyo, until I figured out Schiphol Airport has a goddamn hotel here with showers and what not. Paid like 25 for 1 person for 3 hours. I can sleep, shower, eat, masturbate, watch TV, and they even have free Wi-Fi.

Sorry "Gold Member Airport Loungers", can't hear you over the sound of my private room with free Wi-Fi and shower.

Aw yisssss.

Desmond

Was really bothered by a 6 hours long transfer in Amsterdam to Tokyo, until I figured out Schiphol Airport has a goddamn hotel here with showers and what not. Paid like 25 for 1 person for 3 hours. I can sleep, shower, eat, masturbate, watch TV, and they even have free Wi-Fi.

Sorry "Gold Member Airport Loungers", can't hear you over the sound of my private room with free Wi-Fi and shower.

Aw yisssss.
I had terrible turbulence on the way over from Dublin. Feel like death.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

Aw yisssss.

Enjoy it before your economy class seats ~ ~ ~

matt360

For those who are stationed in MCAS Iwakuni... What is there to do? Should I get my life straight I'm planning on seeing my friend who is stationed out there and will be staying at his home in base rather than getting a hotel.

But it seems so far away from you know, the major tourist cities of Japan.

You're only 45 minutes from Hiroshima City, which is where I live. If your friend has a car, get him to take you to Sanzoku, which is my favorite restaurant in Japan. Giant omusubi rice balls and 1/4 chickens on skewers with teriyaki sauce. It's name means "mountain bandit" and it really feels like a place that mountain bandits would have made their hideout in a Kurosawa movie. Google Sanzoku Yamaguchi to get a better idea. Kintaikyo is worth a visit, as is Miyajima in Hiroshima Prefecture.

No matter how I put this, it's gonna sound creepy. But I saw you boarding the plane since I happened to notice your boardingpass as I was waiting in line. wwwww

image.php

Now can I get a mod to change this thread title to an OT?

Try to PM Gromph since he changed the title of the other thread.

Desmond

No matter how I put this, it's gonna sound creepy. But I saw you boarding the plane since I happened to notice your boardingpass as I was waiting in line. wwwww
えええええええええええ

m3r4

Dufter Typ taking lurking to the next level
I'll be coming down from Sendai to join you at the meetup in Tokyo. よろしくです! :)

Top Bottom