• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

So ugh, anyone know how to go to Nintendo's Headquarters in Kyoto from Osaka? How long does it take to go from Osaka to Kyoto?

Thanks!

Be warned though, it is JUST a plain old building with a Nintendo sign on it. I actually enjoyed visiting the very first Nintendo HQ that made Hanafuda cards when I was there:
Kdpfxon.jpg

Thanks for the responses.

Also, isn't this the current Nintendo HQ?

If you're going, the address is 11-1 Kamitoba Hokodatecho. First take a train from Osaka to Kyoto and then the easiest seems to be to take the Karasuma Line subway from Kyoto station and then get off at Jūjō station or take the Kintetsu Kyoto Line train towards Nara and get off at Kamitobaguchi station. If you take the Kintetsu train, you need to make sure you're taking a local train and not any express ones though.

Thanks for the info guys. You've all been really helpful. Really getting excited about this trip (we leave for Osaka on Oct. 5th).

What's the cheapest way to travel from Osaka to Tokyo? I'm open to taking trains (are there non-bullet trains that are cheaper?) or buses.

Thanks for the info guys. You've all been really helpful. Really getting excited about this trip (we leave for Osaka on Oct. 5th).

What's the cheapest way to travel from Osaka to Tokyo? I'm open to taking trains (are there non-bullet trains that are cheaper?) or buses.

You can take the JR Kyoto Line from Osaka (or Shin-Osaka) station to Kyoto station. Costs 560 JPY one way, which is much cheaper than then bullet train.

scarlet

You can take the JR Kyoto Line from Osaka (or Shin-Osaka) station to Kyoto station. Costs 560 JPY one way, which is much cheaper than then bullet train.

But if you wanna try the cheapest bullet train, should've try that one :p

down 2 orth

Whoa I just finished reading every page on this thread... it took me about a week, but it was well worth it!

So I noticed there's a lot of good info here for Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, and the places near these three cities, I guess because they're the main attractions. I'm wondering, does anyone have some good first-hand information about Fukuoka and the surrounding area? I'm planning on moving there in about a year and a half, but I'd like to travel there first to check it out. Shinjica and Supurflat already gave me some really good info, but I'd be interested to see what anyone else would have to say about their experiences there.

hwalker84

Whoa I just finished reading every page on this thread... it took me about a week, but it was well worth it!

So I noticed there's a lot of good info here for Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, and the places near these three cities, I guess because they're the main attractions. I'm wondering, does anyone have some good first-hand information about Fukuoka and the surrounding area? I'm planning on moving there in about a year and a half, but I'd like to travel there first to check it out. Shinjica and Supurflat already gave me some really good info, but I'd be interested to see what anyone else would have to say about their experiences there.

I can't say much about Fukuoka besides the food. It was a quick 1-2 day stop for me. I call the city business by day party at night.

Bring a massive appetite at night http://blog.gaijinpot.com/yatai-fukuoka-street-food/

hwalker84

Thanks for sharing that article! It seems like Fukuoka food is some of the most famous in the country, but I didn't know much about the yatai until now. God damn, I'm so ready for Japan!!

It was so weird to me because during the day there's no sign that the Yatai exist. At night they swoop in with these thrown together yet homey food stalls. Every one I ate at had amazing food. I was sitting next to these Japanese businessmen who were blown away that I could use chopsticks as well as them.

Jake.

i arrive on the 7th; this will be my 3rd trip but i haven't been back since 2009. it should be relatively dry, right?

Just a question regarding the Osaka amazing pass. I'll be arriving on the 5th at 9 PM. If I buy the pass at Kansai airport and use it to take the train to our hotel, will it still expire at 12 midnight? I was hoping we could use it on the night of the 5th and the entire day of the 6th.

Thanks.

Edit:

or maybe I should just buy a 2 day pass lol

Just a question regarding the Osaka amazing pass. I'll be arriving on the 5th at 9 PM. If I buy the pass at Kansai airport and use it to take the train to our hotel, will it still expire at 12 midnight? I was hoping we could use it on the night of the 5th and the entire day of the 6th.

Thanks.

Edit:

or maybe I should just buy a 2 day pass lol

http://www.osaka-info.jp/osp/en/guide/guide.html

A one day pass can be used from 5 am on the day first used until 5 am on the next day within the valid period. Valid with public transportation from the first to the last departure on the date of use. It does not mean that 24hours from starting time for usage.

Better get a 2 day pass, or buy a 1 day pass and use it on the second day only?

Darksol

One month to go. Nervous to be speaking at Bunkyo University, but I'm looking forward to talking about Canada and making a short speech in Japanese :)

spacebear

Hey everyone! Really appreciate all the resources here - I also read through the entire thread and it's been super helpful :D

I'm heading out to Tokyo next week, can anyone do a quick critique of my itinerary? Anything I'm missing? Any tips for getting around?

Itinerary HERE

A few of the days have a lot of things to visit so I may move things I missed out on to 10/13 or 10/15.

hwalker84

Hey everyone! Really appreciate all the resources here - I also read through the entire thread and it's been super helpful :D

I'm heading out to Tokyo next week, can anyone do a quick critique of my itinerary? Anything I'm missing? Any tips for getting around?

Itinerary HERE

A few of the days have a lot of things to visit so I may move things I missed out on to 10/13 or 10/15.

Looks great. The one thing I found was to order things by importance and time. The last thing you want to do is to rush through everything just to make it down the entire list. Make sure to savor everything.

Itinerary HERE

Your plans for the 12th and 16th might be a bit to much. And on the 15th you should visit the fish market first since it opens much earlier than everything else.

Are you gonna do a tour of the Imperial Palace on the 16th or just check out the area?

spacebear

Your plans for the 12th and 16th might be a bit to much. And on the 15th you should visit the fish market first since it opens much earlier than everything else.

Are you gonna do a tour of the Imperial Palace on the 16th or just check out the area?

Yeah I had a feeling those days were a bit much. There's a few places I'm not overly attached to visiting so if I find the day getting too hectic I can start cutting.

Good call on the fish market, as for the palace I was just planning on checking out the area.

Yeah I had a feeling those days were a bit much. There's a few places I'm not overly attached to visiting so if I find the day getting too hectic I can start cutting.

Good call on the fish market, as for the palace I was just planning on checking out the area.

Hm... Looks like a few parks in Tokyo that's on your list of place to visit is closed now because of dengue fever:
http://outbreaknewstoday.com/japan-dengue-outbreak-up-to-144-cases-now-seen-in-sumida-park-40478/

Anybody in Japan that can confirm?

Ayumi

Hm... Looks like a few parks in Tokyo that's on your list of place to visit is closed now because of dengue fever:
http://outbreaknewstoday.com/japan-dengue-outbreak-up-to-144-cases-now-seen-in-sumida-park-40478/

Anybody in Japan that can confirm?
Confirmed. Yoyogi Koen is said to be the origin of the current dengue fever (which is not even a big deal if you catch it unless you're old or have kidney/heart diseases). The other mentioned parks are closed too as far as I checked.

scarlet

Itinerary HERE

No skytree?

Pretty much done getting ready for our Japan Trip (2 days in Osaka, 3 days in Tokyo). What's the reasonable amount of pocket money (for cheap/moderate dining, to buy some passes like Osaka pass, suico, some excess fares, moderate shopping) to bring? Is 10,000 yen per day enough?

scarlet

Pretty much done getting ready for our Japan Trip (2 days in Osaka, 3 days in Tokyo). What's the reasonable amount of pocket money (for cheap/moderate dining, to buy some passes like Osaka pass, suico, some excess fares, moderate shopping) to bring? Is 10,000 yen per day enough?

Enough, that's what I did

Jake.

i arrive tomorrow and will be there for 3 weeks (1 week in tokyo, 2 weeks in other areas of japan) - will the tokyo parks be closed for the foreseeable future? sucks, i love yoyogi.

i arrive tomorrow and will be there for 3 weeks (1 week in tokyo, 2 weeks in other areas of japan) - will the tokyo parks be closed for the foreseeable future? sucks, i love yoyogi.

Sucks that Gyoen is closed. Yoyogi is 80% closed too I think. Is the 20% that's open still worth visiting?

simplayer

Sorry if this has been asked before, but will the JR pass work on city subways? For example, could I use the JR pass for the metro subway/rail system in Kyoto and Osaka?

Also, can I use the JR pass for travel between Kyoto and Osaka? I noticed there were some restrictions, not sure if this was one of them

Thanks!

Sorry if this has been asked before, but will the JR pass work on city subways? For example, could I use the JR pass for the metro subway/rail system in Kyoto and Osaka?

Also, can I use the JR pass for travel between Kyoto and Osaka? I noticed there were some restrictions, not sure if this was one of them

Thanks!

No, it will not work with subways in Osaka or Kyoto or any non-JR trains in the area. You can use it to travel between Kyoto and Osaka however on the Shinkansen or JR Kyoto Line.

Are you going to other places in Japan as well? If you're just going to Kyoto and Osaka, then a JR Pass is a waste of money.

simplayer

No, it will not work with subways in Osaka or Kyoto or any non-JR trains in the area. You can use it to travel between Kyoto and Osaka however on the Shinkansen or JR Kyoto Line.

Are you going to other places in Japan as well? If you're just going to Kyoto and Osaka, then a JR Pass is a waste of money.
Thanks!

We're going to stay in Tokyo at first, then take the train down to Osaka. We'll have a home base in Osaka, but travel to Kyoto probably a couple of times and also go down to Hiroshima.

We're planning on using the bullet trains (which I believe the JR pass covers), rather than normal rail

Thanks!

We're going to stay in Tokyo at first, then take the train down to Osaka. We'll have a home base in Osaka, but travel to Kyoto probably a couple of times and also go down to Hiroshima.

We're planning on using the bullet trains (which I believe the JR pass covers), rather than normal rail

Ah. Should be good then. And, yeah, you can take the bullet trains.

Darksol

Where in Akihabara should I go to get some Shining Force related games or merch? Super Potato is often the default answer, but on GAF it seems to have the reputation for being overpriced.

Anywhere else I should check first?

Where in Akihabara should I go to get some Shining Force related games or merch? Super Potato is often the default answer, but on GAF it seems to have the reputation for being overpriced.

Anywhere else I should check first?

Check out Friends, Mandarake and Trader from this article:
http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/09/09/a-retro-game-guide-to-akihabara/101759/

There's also a Book-Off in Akihabara that got retro games, and you should go to Nakano Broadway and check out the shops there.

Oh, and if you don't know Japanese then bring a print-out or an electronic device with the name of whatever you want to find. It can be confusing to find stuff so it's easier to ask for help if you got that with you.

This is pretty insane. Arrived in Kansai airport last night and then took the JR train to Tennoji station. Midway through the ride, there was a loud bump and the train stopped. We asked the 2 ladies sitting in front of us what was happening and even if they had trouble speaking english, we were able to understand that there was an "accident" and that policemen were checking our train( even saw police from our train window). We had to stop for an hour (up to past 12 midnight) which meant that the train we had to take at Tennoji station (to our hotel) would be gone by the time we arrived.

With no internet connection yet and no way to find an alternate route, the 2 ladies sitting in front of us were kind enough to take us to their stop (even paid for the additional train fare) and gave us a ride to our hotel! Now, this is a Japan story I won't forget.

scarlet

Thanks!

Cheapest Shinkansen, make sure you ride the right one.

Top Bottom