• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Hi, sorry if this has been asked before, but what arcades would you people recommend aroud Shinjuku and Shibuya?

Go to Hey in Akiba and then any other club sega / taito station since they are all the same.

Hey is unique and the others all have the same shit mostly so unless you want to play something specific any will do. Also those guides ^ are outdated.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Still mostly fine I think? Except Shibuya Kaikan that's been closed of course.

The cabinet types too. They're useful for location I guess, but surprised there isn't a better guide by now that actually has game info.

Though they could just link to the shop's page since those have game info mostly. Some actually have twitter accounts that have updated UFO catcher prizes which is cool.

The cabinet types too. They're useful for location I guess, but surprised there isn't a better guide by now that actually has game info.

Though they could just link to the shop's page since those have game info mostly. Some actually have twitter accounts that have updated UFO catcher prizes which is cool.

Oh, right. Guess nobody in Japan cares enough to make a proper guide and keep updating it for people outside of Japan :p

Ayumi

Still mostly fine I think? Except Shibuya Kaikan that's been closed of course.

WELL alright, sorry for linking that. :<
Used to websites having shit design so I just assumed it was one of them.

I'm sure he can find something decent on Google anyway.

WELL alright, sorry for linking that. :<
Used to websites having shit design so I just assumed it was one of them.

I'm sure he can find something decent on Google anyway.

H-Hey... I wasn't the one complaining about the link >_>

Oh, and congrats on becoming a full member!

Quixzlizx

Hey, I'm cross-posting this from the Japan GAF thread. I posted it there because it was more of local knowledge questions than travel questions, but I didn't really get responses. If anyone could help me out, that'd be great.

---

I'm going to be arriving in Tokyo on the 20th, and I've just realized that this means I can possibly attend TGS on Sunday. My tour group's orientation is Sunday morning, however. Is it worth it to attend on a Sunday, or is it like some other conventions where Sunday is kind of a dead day when exhibitors are packing up? Will I be able to enjoy the experience if I don't know much Japanese? Since I'm going to be occupied for part of Sunday morning, is it one of those events where you have to line up really early in order not to be stuck on line for hours? This seems like serendipitous timing, considering I wasn't even thinking of TGS when I booked this trip, so I think I'd like to experience it if the above caveats aren't a big deal.

Also, are there any restaurants that I definitely need to check out while I'm in Tokyo? I'm really into noodles, and I'd like to try at least one fine dining sushi place with an omakase menu (preferably not too much more than $100 per person, but #YOLO if I need to spend a bit more). I don't know if it's too late to get a reservation for a place like that, though. I also want to check out Akihabara. Are there parts that are more English-friendly than others? I also want to try some sort of X cafe to say I've done it, so any recommendations on those? :lol

I'm also going to have free time in Kyoto and Osaka between tour events, so suggestions on any really cool non-obvious spots in those cities would be appreciated.

Edit: Oh, for an actual travel question. I've been told that T-Mo is free data and text, and .20c/min calls in Japan. Does anyone know whether that extends to the prepaid plans, and whether T-Mo actually has decent coverage in the cities?

Maid cafe would be the baseline, but I have no idea what kind of wacky variations are out there. I'm not looking to have someone sing me a song or draw ketchup hearts on omelette rice or anything.
So maybe a tsundere cafe.

Well... You can go here while in Osaka and order the tsundere menu:
http://moeshandon.com/menu.html

Or... Just go to one of the English friendly cafes in Akihabara with the singing and ketchup hearts ;)

Jayhawk

Or... Just go to one of the English friendly cafes in Akihabara with the singing and ketchup hearts ;)

Any specific English-friendly cafes that you can name? My friend and I are traveling to Tokyo for the first time on Monday and we'll likely check out one of these cafes.

I am also trying to figure out transportation within Tokyo. Will the Suica card work for the metro subway to get to places like Asakusa? I plan on buying a Suica card at Narita on arrival and putting in about 4000 yen to last 7 days.

My biggest concern heading into the trip is figuring out travel to/from hotels because we'll be changing hotels a couple times during the trip. We will be staying at a ryokan for one night near Asakusa just to see how it is like, then staying at a traditional room in Shinjuku for a few nights, and then a western-style hotel near TGS for the rest of the time there. I also plan on hitting up a capsule room for a night just to try it out.

Any specific English-friendly cafes that you can name? My friend and I are traveling to Tokyo for the first time on Monday and we'll likely check out one of these cafes.

I am also trying to figure out transportation within Tokyo. Will the Suica card work for the metro subway to get to places like Asakusa? I plan on buying a Suica card at Narita on arrival and putting in about 4000 yen to last 7 days.

My biggest concern heading into the trip is figuring out travel to/from hotels because we'll be changing hotels a couple times during the trip. We will be staying at a ryokan for one night near Asakusa just to see how it is like, then staying at a traditional room in Shinjuku for a few nights, and then a western-style hotel near TGS for the rest of the time there. I also plan on hitting up a capsule room for a night just to try it out.

@home and MaiDreamin should be fine. They're all over the place in Akihabara too :p

Suica works with the subways just fine.

When switching between hotels, just use trains/subways, but try to avoid rush hour. Between 7-9 in the mornings and 5-7 in the evening.

Well, that's what I'm asking. I don't know what the English-friendly areas of Akihabara are.

There are no specific areas that's more English-friendly than others. The tax free shops I guess, but it just depends on who's at work at the specific shop you're in at the time. Just ask if they speak English.

Jayhawk

If I want to buy figures and other goodies at Akihabara and whatever they sell at TGS, will it be cash-only at these places or can I use VISA? I am trying to figure out how much cash I want to be carrying.

Quixzlizx

OK. I'm already thinking about how I'd like to have a second trip at some point with a friend who knows more Japanese so we can explore Tokyo together, lol.

What about a rec for a fine cuisine sushi place in Tokyo? Anything that doesn't need a reservation weeks in advance?

If I want to buy figures and other goodies at Akihabara and whatever they sell at TGS, will it be cash-only at these places or can I use VISA? I am trying to figure out how much cash I want to be carrying.

Smaller shops are usually cash only. Bigger shops might have card terminals. Better to just carry cash, or visit a 7-eleven with an ATM and take out cash when you need some.

Smaller shops are usually cash only. Bigger shops might have card terminals. Better to just carry cash, or visit a 7-eleven with an ATM and take out cash when you need some.

Yeah, what I found myself doing was keeping cash, but just using the card almost every time a place would take it. I was able to ration it out pretty good that way. Depending on your bank, you may be able to avoid the foreign transaction fees. I know Capital One is like that.

Hey guys. Like a bunch of other people, I'll be visiting Japan soon for TGS and other stuff. I'll be staying in Ashikaga with a friend and could use some help/suggestions with a bunch of things I plan on doing.

1. Hiking! Any really lush/green hikes around Ashikaga or Tokyo, or places with great views? I think it'd be rad to hike the alps, but I have no idea how to get there or if I could even get a good hike in in a day. Maybe I should just spend the night in the area?

2. Bunraku. my name is alex and i am twelve years old and where do i go to see puppet theater

3. Hot springs. Where all the onsen at? Am I going to end up getting naked in front of a bunch of perverted old men? (I am okay with that.)

4. Anything else weird or uniquely Japanese. Already planning on going to a maid cafe.

Thanks!

So I went to Japan for a few weeks at the end of July/beginning of August, and instead of taking photos like my other trips there, I went around holding a GoPro instead. It's taken a while to 'edit' because I had 8 and a half hours of footage (I know...), but this is a monster video of what I consider to be the good bits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaTr52iqmw8

I should warn that there are two clips off the top of my head that would be considered NSFW (9:52-10:13 and 15:13-15:36), so consider this prior warning!

Hopefully it's of some interest to folks who are planning a trip to Japan, but I apologise in advance for my shoddy camera work/editing skills/inclusion of Brits.

JulianImp

I went to Mos Burger today, and I'd say it was really tasty, if a bit on the expensive side. I probably won't be going there too often since I didn't come all the way to Japan to eat hamburgers, but I'll take one of their burgers over one of McDonald's anytime.

Despite checking out both Book Off stores in Shinjuku I was unable to find the final chapter of Higurashi and the two chapters I'm missing from Kokoro Connect, so I guess I'll have to check some other used book stores for them. Anyone know any store names I should be on the lookout for?

While walking back to my room I finally decided to enter a Geo Media Shop that I've been passing by over and over in the last few days, and I picked up what seemed like a replacement case with a printed cover of Ni no Kuni for DS, which costed 980 yen. I got it once I checked that it wasn't released in the US, and when the salesclerk came back from the game she actually had the original box complete with the hardcover book in her hands! Even if I probably won't be able to play the game until my Japanese skills get better, finding such a nice item when I originally expected to be handed the game card in a makeshift case replacement was an amazing thing.

A funny thing is I've been walking more every single day in here than I'd walk over two or three days in my everyday life in Argentina. I've been clocking 8,000-plus steps on my 3DS every day without fail, and even ended up getting over 13,000 on the days when I did a guided imperial palace tour and when I walked all the way from Uguisudani to Akihabara and back. I guess I'll be returning home in much better shape than when I left for Japan!

While walking back to my room I finally decided to enter a Geo Media Shop that I've been passing by over and over in the last few days, and I picked up what seemed like a replacement case with a printed cover of Ni no Kuni for DS, which costed 980 yen. I got it once I checked that it wasn't released in the US, and when the salesclerk came back from the game she actually had the original box complete with the hardcover book in her hands! Even if I probably won't be able to play the game until my Japanese skills get better, finding such a nice item when I originally expected to be handed the game card in a makeshift case replacement was an amazing thing.

Welcome to the wonderful world of used media in Japan.

JulianImp

While I've always been wary about used games and books, I'd say Japan does it right: Items aren't ridiculously worn down or look like they've been mauled by something, and all games work perfectly (unlike a pair of pre-owned DS games I got from GameStop in the US, which were very dirty and took a while before my DS would recognise them). The one thing I've learned is that it's always better to look around rather than stick with whatever you find first, since you might find the exact same item for less on a different shelf, or even right next to the one you picked up. This happened to me all the time with books (I'd pick up a LN for ¥360, and then I'd put it back after spotting a copy in the ¥108 shelf), but with games it's a bit harder since the only times that kind of price differences happen are with very old games (spotted Pokemon TCG 1 for ¥500, ¥250 and ¥108, all in the same retro games bin) or when you visit a different store or franchise.

The Pokemon TCG 2 cartridge I've been looking for still eludes me, but I'm actually finding some pretty cool stuff while looking for it. An issue I have is that I'm kind of wary about getting any kind of game where I think reading could be too important, which is why I've been picking up lots of puzzle and action games (such as Castlevania DoS, Picross 3D or Jump Ultimate Stars). Setting my copy of Pokemon Y to JP didn't give me too many issues since I could set the text to display in hiragana (I did miss most of what was going on with the story, though), so I guess I could get other RPGs that require a similar level of knowledge of the language, even though all my Pokemon attack knowledge probably helped me discern attack effects simply by looking at their PP and base damage, so completely new battle systems might be harder for me to understand.

The Pokemon TCG 2 cartridge I've been looking for still eludes me, but I'm actually finding some pretty cool stuff while looking for it.

Good luck on the hunt! I spent my trip looking for it as well, and even with three Super Potato shops and a lot of little places in Akihabara and nearby, I just couldn't find it. Plenty of copies of the first game, though.

Let us know if you find it though, very interested to know how much it's even selling for these days :)

Check out Book Offs and other random used shops in smaller neighborhoods that don't attract tourists as much. The Book Off near the apartment we rented in Sangenjaya had stuff I didn't see anywhere else. Same for the one near Yanaka Ginza. Good selection in used stores in Shimokitazawa, too. Everyone goes to Akihabara, so don't expect to always find what you want there.

Heck, there is a massive Book Off near Nakano. Try that one.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but where can I find boxes of KitKat , instant ramen and other sorts of candy near Shinjuku? Would Nikinokashi be a good choice? Thanks.

EDIT: Thanks for the replies!

SKINNER!

Banned

The best in the fucking world. I once saw an item that had a few tiny surface scratch on it and they significantly marked the price down because it was in "acceptable" condition. Everything else was spotless and the item worked just fine. I was like "Are you kidding me? This would be considered mint condition in the UK". Stores sell and take good care of used items in Japan.

Ayumi

Sorry if this has been asked before, but where can I find boxes of KitKat , instant ramen and other sorts of candy near Shinjuku? Would Nikinokashi be a good choice? Thanks.

You can usually find it (Kit Kat and various candy bags) cheap at supermarkets!

If you want to go to Ikebukuro, there's a new Kit Kat store at SEIBU Ikebukuro. :3

SKINNER!

Banned
If you want to go to Ikebukuro, there's a new Kit Kat store at SEIBU Ikebukuro. :3

Wouldn't really recommend that store if you're after a specific flavour. Seems to be catered towards tourists in my opinion. The place isn't really a store but more of a corner stall and they only have a couple of unique flavours in very swanky/flashy packaging (different to the normal brightly coloured bags/packaging). Interestingly, they also have this dark chocolate flavour made by some renowned chef that sells out within the first hour opening time because they only get a certain number of bars/boxes a day. I saw people literally queueing at 8am for kitkats. It tasted alright...nothing out of the ordinary in my opinion.

But from my experience I found that the airport had a much better selection of kitkats. cheesecake, sakura, Hokkaido red bean, green tea etc. Probably overpriced considering it's the airport but hey, if you're struggling to spend your last couple of yens then you can't go wrong with interestingly flavoured kitkat.

But from my experience I found that the airport had a much better selection of kitkats. cheesecake, sakura, Hokkaido red bean, green tea etc. Probably overpriced considering it's the airport but hey, if you're struggling to spend your last couple of yens then you can't go wrong with interestingly flavoured kitkat.

JR station kiosks near shinkansen terminals also have good Kit Kat selections.

J-Man

Arrived in Japan last night. 13 hour flight, and then had to get lost in Kabukicho looking for my hotel haha. Crazy views, but not a good time to have drag all my luggage around with me with all the people around.

Also: if there is going to be a GAF TGS meet-up, I'd be interested.

Rukes

The front page still gets no respect
I will be in Japan for Ultra Japan next week (as well as Ultra Thailand the day before) but i'm sneaking in some vacation days early.

I will get in at 5AM on Monday and be in town until Thursday (then I fly to Thailand and back on Saturday) and at Ultra Japan all weekend until I leave early Monday.

Anything going on, let me know!

Is there anything specific you want to play?
Club SEGA is pretty fun.
Taito Station is another famous one.
You can find them both in Shinjuku and Shibuya.

Try looking here to see what you like the most:

http://www.mmcafe.com/arcadeguide/arcades_shibuya.html

http://www.mmcafe.com/arcadeguide/arcades_shinjuku.html

there are multiple club segas and taito stations in shinjuku, i would really recommend the Taito near the south entrance of the station. it's pretty great (item 4 on that map Ayumi linked). the Adores in Shibuya is probably the best arcade in that area.

Ayumi

there are multiple club segas and taito stations in shinjuku, i would really recommend the Taito near the south entrance of the station. it's pretty great (item 4 on that map Ayumi linked). the Adores in Shibuya is probably the best arcade in that area.
Please don't quote me on that post. As you can see someone else pointed out, the website is old and outdates. I forgot to edit it away..

Please don't quote me on that post. As you can see someone else pointed out, the website is old and outdates. I forgot to edit it away..

It's not that bad if one just use it for location info, and double check that the places one looks at is still running.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
In order of staying, Kyoto - Osaka - Sapporo - Tokyo

It seems I'm gonna use airplane in Japan, cheaper lol.

Any chance for outdoor onsen in winter?

Hakone.

There is a plenty of options in Japan for winter onsen. (I love it)

scarlet

Any good, affordable/cheap hotels near Kansai airport in Osaka that you guys would like to recommend?

Thanks.

REMM hotels in Shin Osaka station, just one ride away to KIX

Hakone.

There is a plenty of options in Japan for winter onsen. (I love it)

Yup, I have to go there this time, no matter what.

Just realized book a wrong date, so I'll be there for 8 nights instead of 9-10, oh well.

Top Bottom