• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Ayumi

This is pretty insane. Arrived in Kansai airport last night and then took the JR train to Tennoji station. Midway through the ride, there was a loud bump and the train stopped. We asked the 2 ladies sitting in front of us what was happening and even if they had trouble speaking english, we were able to understand that there was an "accident" and that policemen were checking our train( even saw police from our train window). We had to stop for an hour (up to past 12 midnight) which meant that the train we had to take at Tennoji station (to our hotel) would be gone by the time we arrived.

With no internet connection yet and no way to find an alternate route, the 2 ladies sitting in front of us were kind enough to take us to their stop (even paid for the additional train fare) and gave us a ride to our hotel! Now, this is a Japan story I won't forget.
Damn, someone jumped in front of the train you were sitting in. Ble glad you weren't watching from the outside, or sitting in the first car of the train. Also wow, nice ladies! Glad you made it alright.

Yo, can somebody fill me in on how much a reserved (not green car) Shinkansen trip from Tokyo to Kyoto costs? Is it 13000yen?
Sorry for double posting instead of editing! I'm on mobile so it's much easier that way..

The regular one way fare from Tokyo to Kyoto is 13,080 yen by non-reserved seat on any train, around 13,500 yen by reserved seat on Hikari or Kodama trains and around 14,000 yen by reserved seat on a Nozomi train.

Darksol

Check out Friends, Mandarake and Trader from this article:
http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/09/09/a-retro-game-guide-to-akihabara/101759/

There's also a Book-Off in Akihabara that got retro games, and you should go to Nakano Broadway and check out the shops there.

Oh, and if you don't know Japanese then bring a print-out or an electronic device with the name of whatever you want to find. It can be confusing to find stuff so it's easier to ask for help if you got that with you.

I've got a few JLPT levels under my belt. I won't be holding any long in depth conversations, but I should probably be okay ^_^

Thanks for the link. Very helpful!

DTU

Banned
Hey everyone! Really appreciate all the resources here - I also read through the entire thread and it's been super helpful :D

I'm heading out to Tokyo next week, can anyone do a quick critique of my itinerary? Anything I'm missing? Any tips for getting around?

Man, you're going to have a blast. I really recommend checking out Harajuku, especially Takeshita street. Insanely unique and a lot of fun. While you're in Shinjuku for the Robot Restaurant (which fucking rules) make SURE you check out Golden Gai in Kabukicho. It's by far my favorite part of Tokyo.

If you're not going to another onsen, maybe check out the Oedo Onsen on Odaiba. Honestly, Odaiba was sort of weird and lame, but you'll be in the area for Tsukiji anyways. Make sure that you grab some sushi at Tsukiji. We went to a joint that was nestled in between two shops with hour+ lines; it was insanely good, and no wait!

If you're into drinkin' and meeting new people, the Tokyo Pub Crawl was a LOT of fun.

Enjoy the trip!

Zyzyxxz

So I decided I'm going to look for a hotel in the Shinjuku area hoping to spend no more than $100 per night. I'm hoping to get one with a very helpful concierge who can help me book tables as I seem to not be able to book certain restaurants on my own due to the lack of Japanese speaking ability.

Anyone have recommendations for hotels to stay in?

Azar

Hey all,

I'm in the final stages of planning/booking lodging for a trip that I'm leaving for in three(!) weeks. I've got a hotel booked for Tokyo for half the trip, but don't have my other accommodations booked yet. Obviously I've waited longer than I should have--really wanted to book a room at the Ryokan Shimizu in Kyoto, but they're booked for my dates.

Two questions:

Any suggestions for an affordable hotel or Ryokan in Kyoto for early November?
My friend and I are planning to spend one night on Mt. Koya in one of the temples, but no idea which to choose. Any recommendations?

Ayumi

So I decided I'm going to look for a hotel in the Shinjuku area hoping to spend no more than $100 per night. I'm hoping to get one with a very helpful concierge who can help me book tables as I seem to not be able to book certain restaurants on my own due to the lack of Japanese speaking ability.

Hey all,

I'm in the final stages of planning/booking lodging for a trip that I'm leaving for in three(!) weeks. I've got a hotel booked for Tokyo for half the trip, but don't have my other accommodations booked yet. Obviously I've waited longer than I should have--really wanted to book a room at the Ryokan Shimizu in Kyoto, but they're booked for my dates.

Two questions:

My friend and I are planning to spend one night on Mt. Koya in one of the temples, but no idea which to choose. Any recommendations?
Since I don't have any first time experience to share in Kyoto/Shinjuku, I suggest you try TripAdvisor? I always use it when I go to Europe due to the honest and genuine advices/tips left on hotels there. I always try to find hotels/accommodations close to where my plans are and then I compare them on price services online (such as Expedia, etc).

@Zyzyxxz: I think anywhere in Shinjuku is fine, although you might want to avoid Kabukicho. It's not really bad/dangerous, but it's Tokyo's red light district and might be a bit uncomfortable/weird for people during weekends who prefer a very quiet/relaxed neighbourhood. Again, it's fine if it's where you end up, but I personally would try to avoid it if I could.

@Azar: Have you tried checking for hotels/accommodations near Ryokan Shimizu if you like the area? Also, this seems to be a very popular place for Koya.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...ya_cho_Ito_gun_Wakayama_Prefecture_Kinki.html

It might be fully booked though. Check out these:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Search?q...Wakayama__5F__Prefecture__5F__Kinki__2E__html

Damn, someone jumped in front of the train you were sitting in. Ble glad you weren't watching from the outside, or sitting in the first car of the train. Also wow, nice ladies! Glad you made it alright.

Oh, wow.

Would that matter if I have the JR pass though?

Yes, JR pass only covered for the cheapest kind (Hikari, Kodama, Tsubame,Sakura). If you ride another one(Nozomi, Mizuho) you have to pay it.

http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en004.html

Just go get a reserved seat at the ticket office and the people there will know which trains you can take.

AllenShrz

Hey all,

Two questions:

Ryokan? Kyoto? November? AFFORDABLE?!

Good luck! Thats almost impossible.

scarlet

Ryokan? Kyoto? November? AFFORDABLE?!

Good luck! Thats almost impossible.

I tried to book hostel in Sapporo for February and run out of luck, luckily got an apartment on AirBnb.

So when you have fixed dates, go book your hotels asap, don't wait! Use booking, agoda, anything.

I've stayed at the Shinjuku Washington Hotel three times now. The rooms aren't going to blow you away, but they have everything you need. There's also a 24-hour convenience store in the lobby. It's also super cheap, which obvious helps ;)

Can't comment on the concierge though, haven't needed to use one. Just walked into wherever we wanted to eat, haha.

JPKellams

This is pretty insane. Arrived in Kansai airport last night and then took the JR train to Tennoji station. Midway through the ride, there was a loud bump and the train stopped. We asked the 2 ladies sitting in front of us what was happening and even if they had trouble speaking english, we were able to understand that there was an "accident" and that policemen were checking our train( even saw police from our train window). We had to stop for an hour (up to past 12 midnight) which meant that the train we had to take at Tennoji station (to our hotel) would be gone by the time we arrived.

With no internet connection yet and no way to find an alternate route, the 2 ladies sitting in front of us were kind enough to take us to their stop (even paid for the additional train fare) and gave us a ride to our hotel! Now, this is a Japan story I won't forget.

So you were the random dude in our lobby yesterday? :)

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
next year march i go back to japan. will visit my home i lived in during studying in tokyo last year.

but after that, i need a good hotel, 3 weeks, i got 700€ (around 883$). usually i went to the aizuya inn, but my last stay was not that nice anymore.

any ideas?

next year march i go back to japan. will visit my home i lived in during studying in tokyo last year.

but after that, i need a good hotel, 3 weeks, i got 700€ (around 883$). usually i went to the aizuya inn, but my last stay was not that nice anymore.

any ideas?

$40 a day sounds more like a hostel than a hotel.

I just booked a flight to Japan for next October, first time ever going, 12 months to save and plan and get hyped ^_^

Also 12 months to learn some basic Japanese so I hopefully will be able to make my way around on my own fine.

Much Excite

Zoe

We might be starting from LA for our next flight which seems to give us some more options than usual. How is Singapore Airlines?

We might be starting from LA for our next flight which seems to give us some more options than usual. How is Singapore Airlines?

Supposed to be one of the best airlines based on various awards and reviews. Never flown with them myself though.

spacebear

I've trimmed my itinerary and now have an entire day to do whatever.

Can anyone recommend the best day trip outside of Tokyo? Hakone looks lovely :D

Darksol

Anywhere anyone would recommend to buy prescription glasses from? My teacher frequently buys glasses in Japan at a quarter of the cost I pay in Canada.

Ayumi

Anywhere anyone would recommend to buy prescription glasses from? My teacher frequently buys glasses in Japan at a quarter of the cost I pay in Canada.
I used ALOOK for my last glasses and contacts since they had some nice frames. It depends on what kind of style you want, I suppose. Don't know if they speak English though. And you need a completely fresh prescription for glasses in Japan, I believe. No more than a month old (not sure if that counts for all the stores). If you just want those cheap pre-made prescription/reading glasses I say you can find those anywhere. Maybe check a generic bookstore or pharmacy/drug store at the mall?

Darksol

I used ALOOK for my last glasses and contacts since they had some nice frames. It depends on what kind of style you want, I suppose. Don't know if they speak English though. And you need a completely fresh prescription for glasses in Japan, I believe. No more than a month old (not sure if that counts for all the stores). If you just want those cheap pre-made prescription/reading glasses I say you can find those anywhere. Maybe check a generic bookstore or pharmacy/drug store at the mall?

Hmmm.

hwalker84

One of the things I'd love to try and do when I go back in March is visit some of my favorite game studios if possible. Platinum Games would be #1 on my list.

Darksol

Any recommended outrageous love hotels in Osaka? Found a couple S&M rooms, but nothing that special so far. Way too many look like a shitty Best Western or other generic hotel. We want something with an interesting theme or cool features.

On the other end of the spectrum, does anyone have any recommended places to stay in Kyoto? Be it hotel, ryokan or otherwise. Romantic locations preferred.

And you didn't go to Craft Beer Base a block away? smh

Wasn't part of our itinerary so no :)

We did go to the nearby Panasonic center, Nanba Yasaka shrine, Osaka castle/park, Dotonbori, and Osaka's Space Station Video game bar. Also went to the Tempozan ferris wheel area but we didn't have time to actually ride it.

Ayumi

Any recommended outrageous love hotels in Osaka? Found a couple S&M rooms, but nothing that special so far. Way too many look like a shitty Best Western or other generic hotel. We want something with an interesting theme or cool features.

On the other end of the spectrum, does anyone have any recommended places to stay in Kyoto? Be it hotel, ryokan or otherwise. Romantic locations preferred.

MikeHattsu likes to reply to questions. I'm curious how he's gonna handle this one. (・∀・)

Has anyone stayed in Sapporo before? Looking around for a good hotel for a future trip, but just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on that :)

The aim would be to go to the Sapporo Snow Festival, so as long as it's reasonably near to that it's fair game :)

Thanks!

scarlet

Has anyone stayed in Sapporo before? Looking around for a good hotel for a future trip, but just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on that :)

The aim would be to go to the Sapporo Snow Festival, so as long as it's reasonably near to that it's fair game :)

Thanks!

We could meet! going there too in Feb

You better book a room soon, it's really hard to find, busy week in Sapporo.

I got one in Otaru, kinda far, an hour trip and then I move to an airbnb

We could meet! going there too in Feb

You better book a room soon, it's really hard to find, busy week in Sapporo.

I got one in Otaru, kinda far, an hour trip and then I move to an airbnb

Aha :) Well I would, but it's not going to be next year. Probably 2016 at the earliest as I'm still recovering from the cost of this year's trip :p

I didn't even consider that hotels could get packed before the event, so that's super useful. Will keep that in mind when I come to book :) Thanks!

scarlet

Aha :) Well I would, but it's not going to be next year. Probably 2016 at the earliest as I'm still recovering from the cost of this year's trip :p

I didn't even consider that hotels could get packed before the event, so that's super useful. Will keep that in mind when I come to book :) Thanks!

Ah I see, everything's almost full now, you better book early.

Zatoth

Thanks!

I stayed in Sapporo this summer. But in a hostel, not a hotel.

I enjoyed my stay there. Stuff was extremely friendly and helpful. (Although that could be said for almost every place I ever stayed in Japan.)
http://khaosan-sapporo.com/en/

The Snow Festival is in Odori Park, right? You can reach the park in ~10 minutes on foot.

scarlet

I stayed in Sapporo this summer. But in a hostel, not a hotel.

I enjoyed my stay there. Stuff was extremely friendly and helpful. (Although that could be said for almost every place I ever stayed in Japan.)
http://khaosan-sapporo.com/en/

The Snow Festival is in Odori Park, right? You can reach the park in ~10 minutes on foot.

That was my first pick too, cuz I've been staying in their other branch, but it's full now and so freakin expensive in snowfest, like twice their normal price.

Zatoth

Oh that is too bad.

Maybe you could try to contact them via mail? Maybe there is a chance that they can arrange something.

scarlet

Oh that is too bad.

Maybe you could try to contact them via mail? Maybe there is a chance that they can arrange something.

Already did, it's fully booked. They tell me to hope that someone cancelled them lol.

But it's fine, I'm going to Otaru too for this, so staying there for a night is a good decision I guess.

Top Bottom