• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

muu

Got my itinerary half-done for next spring. Reading up on it the connection sounded hectic so I avoided the NRT-HND connection altogether -- the way in there was a late arrival flight that would go to Itami the next day. Haneda looks pretty awesome as an airport / hub so with a later flight there should be time to mess around in Tokyo for a little bit. On the way back I'll have a longer layover that stays in HND, letting us do some visiting with friends that will hopefully meet us as the airport. We'll end up having 7 (almost) full days in Japan.

We plan to visit some relatives in Kyushu during the trip -- could probably be a day trip on the way back for something touristy between there and Osaka. Any suggestions? Never visited Hiroshima before so that's my current pick unless there's something better. I have a friend that lives in Tottori but I believe that's a bit out of the way...

Zornica

Banned
no autumn/red leave fans around? I could really use some advice...

I was thinking about going to okutama lake as if heard many good things about the area.
anyone of you ever been there?

Chao

I have one question regarding JR trains, I still don't get it.

Can you use JR lines withouth a JR pass?

Let's say I want to go to Disney resort on a JR line but I didn't buy a JR Pass in advance. Can I just pay the tickets? If that's the case, are they fucking expensive or something?

Zoe

Let's say I want to go to Disney resort on a JR line but I didn't buy a JR Pass in advance. Can I just pay the tickets? If that's the case, are they fucking expensive or something?

Yes you can, and no it's not. Just get a Suica card and load some money on it anyway. You can even use it at vending machines and convenience stores.

The JR Pass really only pays off when you're doing long distance travel.

muu

Mass transit options on google maps will more or less tell you how much it is to go from point A to point B. If you're staying within the Tokyo area it's not going to be crazy expensive -- once you start boarding bullet trains that's when the rail passes come handy. Example route from Saitama is less than 1000 yen. Coming from Osaka it'll cost you 15k. The former it'd be silly to buy a pass, the latter the pass pays for itself with one round trip.

Chao

Yes you can, and no it's not. Just get a Suica card and load some money on it anyway. You can even use it at vending machines and convenience stores.

The JR Pass really only pays off when you're doing long distance travel.

Mass transit options on google maps will more or less tell you how much it is to go from point A to point B. If you're staying within the Tokyo area it's not going to be crazy expensive -- once you start boarding bullet trains that's when the rail passes come handy. Example route from Saitama is less than 1000 yen. Coming from Osaka it'll cost you 15k. The former it'd be silly to buy a pass, the latter the pass pays for itself with one round trip.

Thanks guys! Such a relief :O

Zoe

What's the weather like in your home town? I was there till the end of November and wore shorts and a light jacket.

Last time we went was over Thanksgiving week, and I was burning up in most places... not used to all those intense heaters at all.

Ayumi

Last time we went was over Thanksgiving week, and I was burning up in most places... not used to all those intense heaters at all.
The trains during winter are sooo hot. Hard to adjust when dressed up for the weather outside.

PS_GUY

I am planning a 2 week trip to Japan next month! However, I'm just concerned about the weather and the lack of daylight. Will that put a hamper on my trip?

Plan is to land in Tokyo, and then visit Osaka, Kyoto and Naru.

I would like to visit Naru Park, Ghibli Museum, the shopping district in Tokyo.

Does my itinerary justify getting a JR Pass? What websites would you recommend using to book accommodations.

Finally, do most people bring their tooth brush and other toiletries with them or do they purchase them in Japan??

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
I am planning a 2 week trip to Japan next month! However, I'm just concerned about the weather and the lack of daylight. Will that put a hamper on my trip?

Plan is to land in Tokyo, and then visit Osaka, Kyoto and Naru.

I would like to visit Naru Park, Ghibli Museum, the shopping district in Tokyo.

Does my itinerary justify getting a JR Pass? What websites would you recommend using to book accommodations.

Finally, do most people bring their tooth brush and other toiletries with them or do they purchase them in Japan??

Yeah, buy a 1 week JR pass and do your bullet training within that week.

I use expedia to book hotels.

I purchase my toiletries in a convenience store there, sometimes I just use what the hotel provides.

Don't know about the weather, perhaps other people can chime in.

Jintor

Heading down to Osaka over the long weekend, any recommendations on places to hit up in Den Den Town? Got my other bases covered for the moment.

What websites would you recommend using to book accommodations.

Tripadvisor seems fine. It compares prices on several websites. Hostelworld if you want a hostel.

I brought my own toiletries, but you could just buy them in Japan. If you're in a hotel, they usually provide them for free.

Heading down to Osaka over the long weekend, any recommendations on places to hit up in Den Den Town? Got my other bases covered for the moment.

Hm...

One of the Super Potato shops:
http://www.superpotato.com/free_html.php?html=about_shop.html

This Super Kids Land if you're interested in Gundam and GunPla:
http://shop.joshin.co.jp/shopdetail.php?cd=1665

One of the Mandarake stores, but they're not in Den Den Town itself though:
http://www.mandarake.co.jp/shop/index_osk.html
http://www.mandarake.co.jp/shop/index_gcs.html

Edit: Oh yeah, and the Namco arcade with the Tekken Musem and Idolmaster store as well:
http://www.namco.co.jp/am/loc/nipponbashi/

Jintor

Cheers mate.

Anywhere likely to be good for cheaper stuff as well, or is that pushing it? Like, a Hard-Off but with better prices.

PS_GUY

Yeah, buy a 1 week JR pass and do your bullet training within that week.

I use expedia to book hotels.

I purchase my toiletries in a convenience store there, sometimes I just use what the hotel provides.

Don't know about the weather, perhaps other people can chime in.

Thanks so much!

I'm trying to do research but it's so incredibly hard because I literally don't know what to research. I feel like I should just book a tour and let the tour guide handle the accommodations and daily events. Only downside is that it'll be more expensive.

As a gamer, can anyone recommend some attractions or places I should visit in either Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto or Nara?

Cheers mate.

Anywhere likely to be good for cheaper stuff as well, or is that pushing it? Like, a Hard-Off but with better prices.

Sorry. Not that familiar with Den Den Town besides the usual stuff.

Thanks so much!

As a gamer, can anyone recommend some attractions or places I should visit in either Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto or Nara?

Akihabara and Nakano Broadway in Tokyo and Den Den Town in Osaka. Lots of stores and arcades in those locations.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Hey GAF, so I'll be visiting Japan for the first time in December, pretty excited :D

Has anyone here visited Japan during the Christmas/New Year time period? I'll be over there from Christmas to New Year's.

So far, I only have the plane tickets booked, still waiting on another family member to confirm before booking the hotel(s).

I'm planning on getting the 7 day JR pass since I want to visit Kyoto for two days, but I was wondering what a better option would be, would it be better to get a hotel in Tokyo for my entire stay and then just take the Shinkansen to Kyoto in the morning and back at night for the two days? Or would it be better to leave Tokyo and then check into a hotel in Kyoto for two nights, and then go back to Tokyo for one night before heading back home?

Thanks in advance :)

scarlet

Hey GAF, so I'll be visiting Japan for the first time in December, pretty excited :D

Has anyone here visited Japan during the Christmas/New Year time period? I'll be over there from Christmas to New Year's.

So far, I only have the plane tickets booked, still waiting on another family member to confirm before booking the hotel(s).

I'm planning on getting the 7 day JR pass since I want to visit Kyoto for two days, but I was wondering what a better option would be, would it be better to get a hotel in Tokyo for my entire stay and then just take the Shinkansen to Kyoto in the morning and back at night for the two days? Or would it be better to leave Tokyo and then check into a hotel in Kyoto for two nights, and then go back to Tokyo for one night before heading back home?

Go book asap, there will be a lot of tourist, and they won't wait for you.

You can do that, but will be wasting a lot of time, like almost 5 hours/day.

GSG Flash

Go book asap, there will be a lot of tourist, and they won't wait for you.

You can do that, but will be wasting a lot of time, like almost 5 hours/day.

Gonna book as soon as I get home :p

So the second option is better? Only problem with that option is that the cheapest hotel on NYE is more than $250 for the night(unless we stay in a capsule hotel, which isn't possible for the girl in our group if she comes).

Leave Tokyo and stay in Kyoto. Saves you 6 or so hours on a train, and it gives you a chance to check out Kyoto at night.

It might also be better to get the discount Shinkansen tickets than a JR Pass if you're just going to Kyoto and back and not visiting Osaka/Nara or any other nearby city as well:
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=138662716

So the second option is better? Only problem with that option is that the cheapest hotel on NYE is more than $250 for the night(unless we stay in a capsule hotel, which isn't possible for the girl in our group if she comes).

Some options:

Check Japanican for a discount Shinkansen+Hotel package:
www.japanican.com/en/special/tours/shinkansen/index.aspx

Check hostelworld for a hostel instead of staying at a hotel. Some of the high end hostels have rooms with their own bathroom.

Check hotel prices in Osaka. It's 30 minutes by train between Osaka and Kyoto. Can then easily travel between the 2 cities if you get the JR pass.

GSG Flash

Leave Tokyo and stay in Kyoto. Saves you 6 or so hours on a train, and it gives you a chance to check out Kyoto at night.

It might also be better to get the discount Shinkansen tickets than a JR Pass if you're just going to Kyoto and back and not visiting Osaka/Nara or any other nearby city as well:
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=138662716

Some options:

Check hostelworld for a hostel instead of staying at a hotel. Some of the high end hostels have their own bathroom.

Check hotel prices in Osaka. It's 30 minutes by train between Osaka and Kyoto. Can then easily travel between the 2 cities if you get the JR pass.

Hmmm these are all really good tips, thanks! :)

I don't mind staying in Kyoto too much, it's just that last night in Tokyo which is insanely expensive, I was trying to see if I could mitigate that somehow...

Hmmm these are all really good tips, thanks! :)

I don't mind staying in Kyoto too much, it's just that last night in Tokyo which is insanely expensive, I was trying to see if I could mitigate that somehow...

Oh, right. Once again, hostels. And if you're leaving from Narita airport, then you could spend the last night in the city of Narita. I stayed at a ryokan (or more like a minshuku to be correct) there the last night before an early morning flight once.

rrvv

Visiting Japan from 4 march - 18 march for study trip. accommodation already provided. Probably will stay on tokyo for most of the time. so yeah just need quick advice and some cost breakdown.

also need recommendation between Narita VS Haneda

scarlet

Visiting Japan from 4 march - 18 march for study trip. accommodation already provided. Probably will stay on tokyo for most of the time. so yeah just need quick advice and some cost breakdown.

also need recommendation between Narita VS Haneda

For food around 1000 yen/meal is more than enough

Haneda is closer.

gembel

is it advisable to visit Asakusa and Tokyo Sky Tree on December 31st?

will I be able to get tickets to the Sky Tree observatory on this day if i come in the morning?

Thanks so much!

I'm trying to do research but it's so incredibly hard because I literally don't know what to research. I feel like I should just book a tour and let the tour guide handle the accommodations and daily events. Only downside is that it'll be more expensive.

If you're interested in tours then check out japanican.com. Japanese tourists reeealy like their guided tours, and the biggest operator of those tours also runs that site.
(also I used to work there)

Edit:
Some options:

Yaaay. When I was working there this was always the best deal we ran. If it matches your schedule and planned route this can beat the JR Pass.

Golden Week or Cherry blossom season?

lol, don't go during golden week. Everything will be ridiculously packed, lots of stuff will be shut due to the public holidays (including post offices which have international ATMs), hotels will be expensive etc. Unless you live in Japan and have a week off to travel around there's really no point in travelling around that time. Cherry blossoms are beautiful and though the popular viewing spots are crowded it's nowhere near as bad as golden week in my experience.

How is subway fare calculated? Is it according to distance or zones or stations?

It's the distance between the station you go from and to. If you want you can take a longer alternative route, do transfers (within the same company) and get off at any station along the way (as long as you don't exit through the ticket gates) and it will be the same price.

Prices here for the Tokyo Metro:
http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/ticket/types/regular/

Also if you are using a fare card(Pasmo/Suica for example in Tokyo) the train fare will always be cheaper than by paying with cash, it will also give you the cheapest fare possible between those two points even if you take a "faster" or longer route to get there.

Goddamn the weather sucks here right now.

Cold and rainy the first two days I'm here. Will this let up?

Also, if any gaffers want to get a drink or food, let me know. I'm here in Tokyo for a few months, most likely.

Hey there GAF. Thanks for the trip advice; this thread is great. Everything's in place and I head to Japan on Saturday. I'll be in Tokyo from the 30th-7th, Nagoya til the 10th, Kyoto until the 13th, and Osaka til the 20th. If anybody wants to grab some grub, drinks, or otherwise hang out, let me know!
Oh, and for those of you who are car fans, I found a sweet rental place in Tokyo that'll rent things like Civic Type-Rs, Skyline GT-Rs, and Hachi-Rokus. Since I'll only be renting a car for funsies anyway, it's way cooler than getting a kei car. Somehow an R-33 GT-R is also cheaper than a Miata with an auto transmission at Times Rent-a-car. The downside is that there's only one location. The place is called Omoshiro Rent-a-car, and it's located outside Tokyo in Chiba prefecture.

Hey there GAF. Thanks for the trip advice; this thread is great. Everything's in place and I head to Japan on Saturday. I'll be in Tokyo from the 30th-7th, Nagoya til the 10th, Kyoto until the 13th, and Osaka til the 20th. If anybody wants to grab some grub, drinks, or otherwise hang out, let me know!
Oh, and for those of you who are car fans, I found a sweet rental place in Tokyo that'll rent things like Civic Type-Rs, Skyline GT-Rs, and Hachi-Rokus. Since I'll only be renting a car for funsies anyway, it's way cooler than getting a kei car. Somehow an R-33 GT-R is also cheaper than a Miata with an auto transmission at Times Rent-a-car. The downside is that there's only one location. The place is called Omoshiro Rent-a-car, and it's located outside Tokyo in Chiba prefecture.

I'll meet up in Tokyo, if you're down. Just PM me.

Ayumi

Those YOUは何しに日本へ? interviewers (aka harassers) sure are getting persistent at Narita. Saw two different groups of them, 6 people in total. Unfortunately for them our plane was packed with Asians.

Have any of you actually been approached by them before? I know that they sometimes schedule it, but I had no idea they were so persistently idling at the arrival area, waiting for someone to stalk.. lol.

The show is fun to watch (especially feat. YouTubers you're aware of), but I can't imagine it being an honour being interviewed by them. They're only after making fun of foreigners anyway.

Those YOUは何しに日本へ? interviewers (aka harassers) sure are getting persistent at Narita. Saw two different groups of them, 6 people in total. Unfortunately for them our plane was packed with Asians.

Have any of you actually been approached by them before? I know that they sometimes schedule it, but I had no idea they were so persistently idling at the arrival area, waiting for someone to stalk.. lol.

The show is fun to watch (especially feat. YouTubers you're aware of), but I can't imagine it being an honour being interviewed by them. They're only after making fun of foreigners anyway.

I saw them interviewing some older Jerry Garcia-looking white guy when I arrived the other day and wondered what it was. Now I know to avoid them. Thanks! I was jealous that they weren't interviewing me...

Accepting tips for onsen and ryokan in Hakone!

Not exactly an onsen but Yunessun is pretty fun :) It's the place with flavoured baths.

images

05571_2.jpg

I know they interviewed that guy who made 'The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers' book:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...tory-of-japanese-game-developers/posts/597659

Oh, and somebody in my family was approached by TV Asahi for an interview when we visited Todai.

Top Bottom