• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Fuck, I am planning to go Spring next year but the ticket prices went up since I last saw them. I shouldn't have taken the time to confer with the friends first! >>;

The Navitime travel app to me was absolutely invaluable for getting around Tokyo. I would never had found my way around the trains without it.

Onyar

I'm at Kanazawa right now, all very nice and the weather stay almost good until night (now it's rainning) tomorrow I will go to Matsumoto, the struggle will be how to arrive there without staying all day at train or at the bus, we will see.
All the travel feel so short, too much things to see.

Jake.

came home to australia today after 3 weeks in japan, it is weird looking outside my window and seeing total darkness as opposed to neon lights! unfortunately i ran out of time in tokyo and didn't see everyone and everything i wanted, but i won't wait another 5yrs 'til going back again.

Neo Child

Banned
Has anyone here used helpx.net or similar for travelling and working in exchange for accomodation and food? Something like this seems right up my alley as I don't have a lot in the way of money but I would love to travel!

I would take spending money extra in case of course for emergencies, maybe thinking of doing it for a month or so?

Darksol

Thanks to everyone for the transit advice. Something clicked in my brain and things finally make sense to me now. I also agree that Google seems to be doing just as good of a job as Hyperdia.

With the occasional referral to Google Maps, my JR Pass, a loaded Suica, and enough Japanese to get by, I think I'll be fine. I've known people who managed in tougher places with less going for them :p

toneroni

Going to spend a while digesting this all but i'm gonna be in Japan from 12/26 - 1/2 with the wifey and another couple.

Any ideas for a great New Years Eve in Tokyo?

Also is that enough time to see Tokyo and another location?
If so, which would you guys suggest?
We're thinking of maybe taking a train to Kyoto but really haven't done much research yet.

Looking for any really cool stuff that they wouldn't have anywhere else.

Thanks Gaf !

Ayumi

Going to spend a while digesting this all but i'm gonna be in Japan from 12/26 - 1/2 with the wifey and another couple.

Any ideas for a great New Years Eve in Tokyo?

We're thinking of maybe taking a train to Kyoto but really haven't done much research yet.

Looking for any really cool stuff that they wouldn't have anywhere else.

Thanks Gaf !
There have been many people asking about NYE in Japa lately.. So if you browse back in the thread for a little research, I'm quite sure you can find something interesting, even to your other questions. Some have shared their planned dates too, you could probably look it up and see if it's something for you.

Since it's around New Years and the trains have a high chance of being packed (and you only have a week) it might be better to go to Nikko, Hakone or Kamakura instead since it's closer to Tokyo and you can take day trips there.

hwalker84

Just realized since I'm about 75% sure I'm going back at the end of March I had my ticket by this time last time. Not buying until the beginning of the year. Now I start to think of what i'm going to do this next time.

finngamer

Ok, so I'm in Tokyo right now. There seems to be one thing different since the last time I visited: taxes.

Several game shops have started adding 8% tax on top of their price tag prices. I see Japan hiked up their taxes this year, but are stores supposed to be doing this? I'm pretty sure they do this just for foreigners, saying they are "not duty free shops".

Sure, duty free shops take the tax away if you present them your passport, but the other shops shouldn't put them on top of the price, because it already includes it. Or am I missing something here?

Several game shops have started adding 8% tax on top of their price tag prices. I see Japan hiked up their taxes this year, but are stores supposed to be doing this? I'm pretty sure they do this just for foreigners, saying they are "not duty free shops".

Sure, duty free shops take the tax away if you present them your passport, but the other shops shouldn't put them on top of the price, because it already includes it. Or am I missing something here?

Depends on the shop. Some show prices with tax and some without. And a lot are choosing to show prices without tax since they can:
http://blog.japantimes.co.jp/yen-for-living/the-price-is-right-but-sometimes-difficult-to-read/

Since last fall, retailers have been allowed to indicate prices any way they want. Some just keep doing what they were doing before and show the zeikomi (including tax) price. Some show both the zeikomi price and the hontai (price without the tax added), but they may show the hontai in larger print than the zeikomi, which will often be in parentheses. And then some show only the hontai, which means the consumer doesn’t know what she is paying for the item until it is rung up at the cashier.

Needless to say, it can get confusing if, like most people, you patronize different retailers for the sake of saving money through comparative shopping.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
The vat hike, which will probably go up again to 10% btw, is just raising the old 5 to an 8%. Japanese price tags usually have pre-tax and after-tax prices listed, but a lot simply defaulted to after-tax only to save sign space. Since the raise in April, a lot of places redid signage to show the pre-tax price and after-tax as a reminder of the increase. So, what are you really asking? Are you saying they have old 5% included prices and then on top of it they're doing another 8%? Or they're some how doubling the 8%? Maybe take a pic as an example if you can.

finngamer

I assumed they added a second 8% just for foreigners (which wouldn't make any sense, like I said), but maybe it's just the first 8% for every customer. Trader did have only an English sign of this practice attached to their money tray though, but that might be due to Japanese customers already knowing of this.

Either way, pretty BS.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I assumed they added a second 8% just for foreigners (which wouldn't make any sense, like I said), but maybe it's just the first 8% for every customer. Trader did have only an English sign of this practice attached to their money tray though, but that might be due to Japanese customers already knowing of this.

Either way, pretty BS.

How is it bs lol.. it's abenomics. You're there to help the economy. So help the economy.

I know Mandarake switched from from one to the other. There were signs in the stores reminding people that they still had merchandise with tax included labels and other ones with tax excluded.

Ayumi

It's BS how they won't announce correct prices. Goes for US too, naturally, but here the stores don't even have an uniform system.

It's not an additional 8% for foreigners, it's just how it's announced in some places, because like you said earlier residents already know this (they would be living under a rock if not) and they want to make sure that foreigners understand that the price is higher than what is put there.

This isn't just Japan, you know.. many countries have "price (plus tax)". A lot of countries don't even tell you how much tax it is so be lucky that Japan does. It is a thing implemented April this year, so it is still news to people who come for the first time or return after years.

For example, the 100Yen shops used to be 100Yen. Technically it's still 100円, but with the 8% tax increase, it's obviously more than 100Yen and it also "looks better" if it stays at "100Yen (plus tax)". But keep in mind it's different from each store. Some (like most groery stores) display either the total amount, and some display it as the price + tax as total. Some also just put "100円 (108円)". It's different. Don't get worked up on it.

There are some stores that actually decrease the price with 8% for tourists to let them not pay tax. Don't know how that works in Japan but I think you can get a tax refund at the airport or something, or just show your passport at said stores and you pay the original price without tax.

toneroni

Phew - read every single page of the thread.

So it looks like we may scrap Kyoto since we're only there a limited time.
Is it a good idea to go to Hakone the day we fly in? (getting in at 9am)
And should we even go to Nikko another day?

Been looking into AirBNB and thinking about staying in Shibuya.
Any other suggestions on locations? Hotels are around 180/nt and airbnb 400/nt (we would share airbnb space with a couple we're traveling with).
Still haven't figured out NYE yet.

Been looking into AirBNB and thinking about staying in Shibuya.
Any other suggestions on locations? Hotels are around 180/nt and airbnb 400/nt (we would share airbnb space with a couple we're traveling with).
Still haven't figured out NYE yet.

Are you thinking of staying a night at Hakone or going to Shibuya (or wherever you end up staying in Tokyo) first and then to Hakone?

Phew - read every single page of the thread.

So it looks like we may scrap Kyoto since we're only there a limited time.

Are you flying into Narita or Haneda? Either way, I wouldn't try to do Hakone that first day. You want to give yourself an early start to get out there on on the shinkansen and then take the local tram line up. Plus a 9am arrival time after going through customs and getting to Tokyo proper is going to be much later.

finngamer

For example, the 100Yen shops used to be 100Yen. Technically it's still 100円, but with the 8% tax increase, it's obviously more than 100Yen and it also "looks better" if it stays at "100Yen (plus tax)". But keep in mind it's different from each store. Some (like most groery stores) display either the total amount, and some display it as the price + tax as total. Some also just put "100円 (108円)". It's different. Don't get worked up on it.

No, it's not just "different". The previous 100 yen price included the 5% tax. They should add 3% to the price (the amount of taxes increased), but they add 8% to the price.

Now that I know what the deal is, I'm okay with all the stores being "in on it", it's pretty good business for them. Can't blame them in this economy. But they simply need a unified system. Don't get worked up on it.

Ayumi

No, it's not just "different". The previous 100 yen price included the 5% tax. They should add 3% to the price (the amount of taxes increased), but they add 8% to the price.

Now that I know what the deal is, I'm okay with all the stores being "in on it", it's pretty good business for them. Can't blame them in this economy. But they simply need a unified system. Don't get worked up on it.
I see what you mean now, and realize my calculations were wrong too. Just keep it in mind when you shop around, that some might not even show the tax (which doesn't look that bad until you end up buying an expensive camera or something). I doubt they added 8%.. If I buy something that was 100 including 5% it only increased with 3%. Can't speak as a tourist though, so maybe you ran into a store will silly tax rules.

cvxfreak

My understanding is that with the possibility of another tax raise next year, retailers are temporarily allowed to show pre-tax prices that can remain valid even if taxes do rise. Eventually, Japan should return to having a tax-inclusive pricing system.

Zyzyxxz

Hey japagaf, is it worth it going to an Onsen or staying at a ryokan? After checking we're only there from 12/27 to 1/2 :/

I'm only going for 5 days too and I'm probably going to skip it since I'm only staying in Tokyo.

My main focus is tech, electronics, and of course food. Cultural is secondary for my interests but I know it will prob be on a future itinerary for me.

toneroni

I'm only going for 5 days too and I'm probably going to skip it since I'm only staying in Tokyo.

My main focus is tech, electronics, and of course food. Cultural is secondary for my interests but I know it will prob be on a future itinerary for me.
Which areas are you thinking of?

Hey japagaf, is it worth it going to an Onsen or staying at a ryokan? After checking we're only there from 12/27 to 1/2 :/

Since you're only there for 6 days it's maybe not the best to go to Hakone.

You could just go to Ooedo-Onsen-Monogatari in Odaiba if you want to have an onsen experience.

If you got an early plane (or just want to try a Ryokan) you could spend the last night at one without onsen in Narita or something.

I'm going to be in Tokyo for most of December. Most preparations are settled, but I need some advice regarding mobile Wifi. The last time I went to Japan I rented a mobile Wifi device from Sky Cellular when I touched down at Narita. But I was only around for about 4 days, so it wasn't too expensive. I'll be there for 28 days this time. Is there a cheaper way to deal with this? Would it be simpler perhaps to rent a phone with built-in Wifi, and then tether to that on the occasions I need to use my normal phone?

lupin23rd

Yodobashi Akiba and Bic Camera in Shinjuku both advertised a wifi device for tourists that I didn't even notice until a couple days before I came back (today). Might be worth looking into, not sure if it was free but might have been.

FYI you can catch a wifi signal for free in bigger JR stations as well as some subway lines if you need it.

DTU

Banned

As a traveler, yes, those were two of the more authentic and memorable experiences I had. We went to an onsen outside Kurama near Kyoto. It was fucking nuts.

Shit, just noticed your stay length. Maybe try onsen monogatari in Odaiba?

Tokyo is fun but pretty exhausting. Even if you only stay for a few days doing at least a day trip out to Hakone or Nikko or somewhere is really worth it. It'd be a waste to just spend a whole five days just shopping (as fun as it can be).

Google Maps is actually pretty good at telling you how to get to and from various stations, at least in the greater Tokyo area. I almost never bothered with Hyperdia, though I guess maybe it'd be more useful if you were planning long-distance jaunts. After a while you'll start learning more-or-less where major stations you use a lot are, and what lines are available.

It's great for getting around Kansai too. It even has local bus and train services that go out into the country. Incredibly convenient.

YES. YESYESYESYESYES. Onsens are literally the best thing ever. Stay at a ryokan and take a bath before dinner, after dinner, and when you get up in the morning.
Plus it's a great experience sleeping on a futon on tatami etc. You will absolutely not regret it I guarantee it.

Ayumi

I'm going to be in Tokyo for most of December. Most preparations are settled, but I need some advice regarding mobile Wifi. The last time I went to Japan I rented a mobile Wifi device from Sky Cellular when I touched down at Narita. But I was only around for about 4 days, so it wasn't too expensive. I'll be there for 28 days this time. Is there a cheaper way to deal with this? Would it be simpler perhaps to rent a phone with built-in Wifi, and then tether to that on the occasions I need to use my normal phone?

Yodobashi Akiba and Bic Camera in Shinjuku both advertised a wifi device for tourists that I didn't even notice until a couple days before I came back (today). Might be worth looking into, not sure if it was free but might have been.

FYI you can catch a wifi signal for free in bigger JR stations as well as some subway lines if you need it.
You can actually borrow a free Wi-Fi card as a tourist. http://flets.com/freewifi/index.html

There are some rules though. It's really important to read everything on the website to make sure you don't get disappointed.

Keep in mind that this card is not constant Wi-Fi, but it only works in destined areas with hotspots. This is however, a great way to save data on your actual Wi-Fi device (if you pay for the amount of data you use, and not a daily/weekly fee).

For instance, the hotspots in Tokyo:
http://flets.com/freewifi/common/use_omote.pdf

Check out the links above for all the information.

Check the links in the OP and CDJapan rental and see what will fit your use the most:

You can actually borrow a free Wi-Fi device as a tourist. http://flets.com/freewifi/index.html

It's not a device, it's a card that gives you an ID and password for free access to certain WiFi hotspots.

scarlet

As a traveler, yes, those were two of the more authentic and memorable experiences I had. We went to an onsen outside Kurama near Kyoto. It was fucking nuts.

Shit, just noticed your stay length. Maybe try onsen monogatari in Odaiba?

Name please? I love onsen, is it doable to go to an outdoor onsen in winter? Or is it too cold?

Darksol

Tomorrow is my last day in Japan before I return to Canada. I'll be uploading hundreds of photos to Flikr when I return (Ginkakuji, Tetsugaku no Michi, Westin Ryokan, and random things in Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka which caught my attention).

I'll share my thoughts about my time in Japan in this thread for any potential first timers. I have stories about Spiderman directing me to a love hotel, what goes on in an Osaka S&M bar, exquisite ryokans, where to get some damn fine okonomiyaki, and more.

In short though: I fell in love with this country. I also fell in love with a woman in this country (not Japanese, although she's near fluent). I would move here in a heartbeat, and I may do just that once I finish my teaching certification.

toneroni

Thanks for all the advice so far guys.

We booked a night in Hakone since the wife really wanted to go onsen and her friend really was interested in getting a good view of Mt Fuji and wanted to try a Ryokan.

Booked a hotel in Shinjuku for the rest of the trip. Is it worth splitting it up and getting a hotel elsewhere? Gonna mainly be doing touristy stuff going around Tokyo.

As for places I'm thinking of -
Odaiba seems pretty awesome for a whole day trip.
Figure we'll hang out in Shibuya for a bit, check out Harajuku, shop for my tech stuff at Akiba, and maybe Asakusa for some old town stuff. Possibly Ginza just to see it.
Is Rappongi worth it? How's clubbing out there for foreigners - that might be a NYE idea.
Tsukiji fish market? Worth seeing? I'm not gonna get up early for the auction though.
Robot Restaurant? It's not too far from the hotel and its only open our first day in Shijuku.

Super excited!

Booked a hotel in Shinjuku for the rest of the trip. Is it worth splitting it up and getting a hotel elsewhere? Gonna mainly be doing touristy stuff going around Tokyo.

As for places I'm thinking of -
Tsukiji fish market? Worth seeing? I'm not gonna get up early for the auction though.

Nah. Just keep to one hotel if you're just staying in central Tokyo.

The fish market opens earlier than most other stuff so you could go there in the morning (like 9-10) and check it out before heading elsewhere. I went to the fish market, then then Pokemon Center and finally Odaiba in one day since they're relatively close.

Hagi

So after going back for the second time this July my girlfriend and I are currently saving up to go back next July. There's just something about this country that we can't get enough of. Hoping to spend some time in Osaka and some other places close by.

We've had some people call us crazy for wanting to go back because surely you will have seen everything there is to see in a country after spending 20 days there over two years.

stryke

Guys, I'm going to be spending 1 week in Japan. Initially it was going to be all 7 days in Tokyo but I'm starting to think about going on a 2 day trip to Kyoto.

My question is the JR pass a must or is there something cheaper to use because I don't want to have to pay for a pass that covers the whole country when im only going to be in 2 cities.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Guys, I'm going to be spending 1 week in Japan. Initially it was going to be all 7 days in Tokyo but I'm starting to think about going on a 2 day trip to Kyoto.

My question is the JR pass a must or is there something cheaper to use because I don't want to have to pay for a pass that covers the whole country when im only going to be in 2 cities.

Tokyo - Kyoto in Shinkansen is around ¥26000 alone, don't know how much is the 1 week JR pass.

stryke

Tokyo - Kyoto in Shinkansen is around ¥26000 alone, don't know how much is the 1 week JR pass.

1 week is AU$306.

But taking into account of local transport how much would you guess would add up?

Edit - okay just looking at that it looks far more economical to purchase a Jr pass.

Nah it's not that much. My Tokyo to Kobe ticket was only ¥15000 and that was reserved seating.

JR pass is cheaper but there are a bunch of silly rules with regard to which trains you can ride (and the most convenient one isn't part of them). For example, if you want to travel into Kansai or beyond you'll have to get off and change trains at Osaka.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Nah it's not that much. My Tokyo to Kobe ticket was only ¥15000 and that was reserved seating.

JR pass is cheaper but there are a bunch of silly rules with regard to which trains you can ride (and the most convenient one isn't part of them). For example, if you want to travel into Kansai or beyond you'll have to get off and change trains at Osaka.

One way or return trip?

He need to get back to Tokyo :)

I just checked and 1 way trip is ¥13000

1 week is AU$306.

But taking into account of local transport how much would you guess would add up?

Edit - okay just looking at that it looks far more economical to purchase a Jr pass.

It depends. If you get this discount ticket for the Shinkansen it costs 21600 JPY for a return trip to Kyoto:
http://www.japanican.com/en/tour/detail/VJOPENTK1/

JR Pass is basically useless in Kyoto since it's a bus city. Are you gonna go to Osaka or Nara?

The JR Pass is useful in Tokyo though, and I guess you would at least have one trip on the NEX from/to Narita? Are you going to be there 7 full days and leave on the 8th day or 6 days and leave on the 7th?

A quick calculation without all those extra details:
29110 (JR Pass) - 21600 (Discount ticket) - 2000 (NEX train savings on one way trip compared to other trains you could take) = 5510 JPY which is about 30 JR train trips in Tokyo in 5 days.

Top Bottom