• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

stryke

It depends. If you get this discount ticket for the Shinkansen it costs 21600 JPY for a return trip to Kyoto:
http://www.japanican.com/en/tour/detail/VJOPENTK1/

JR Pass is basically useless in Kyoto since it's a bus city. Are you gonna go to Osaka or Nara?

The JR Pass is useful in Tokyo though, and I guess you would at least have one trip on the NEX from/to Narita? Are you going to be there 7 full days and leave on the 8th day or 6 days and leave on the 7th?

It's 6 full days and leave on 7th. Very unlikely I'll go to Osaka or Nara.

It's 6 full days and leave on 7th. Very unlikely I'll go to Osaka or Nara.

And you arrive/leave from Narita airport?

If so:
29110 (JR Pass) - 21600 (Discount ticket) - 3500 (NEX train savings on return trip compared to other trains you could take) = 4010 JPY which is about 22 JR train trips in Tokyo in 5 days.

Have to figure out if that's worth it for yourself. You do have the option to go to Nara or Osaka with the JR Pass with no added cost though. And remember that the JR Pass does NOT work in the subways in Tokyo, so some places, like Asakusa and Odaiba, you'll need to buy other tickets to get to if you want to go there.

stryke

If you say a JR pass is useful in Tokyo, what if I just bought the cheaper JR East past and then I buy a return ticket to Kyoto?

If you say a JR pass is useful in Tokyo, what if I just bought the cheaper JR East past and then I buy a return ticket to Kyoto?

The JR East pass is not worth it at all if you're only going to use it in Tokyo.

Edit: The JR Pass is useful in Tokyo in the sense that you can ride the NEX from/to Narita and take the JR Yamanote/Chuo line in addition to going to Kyoto. It's not useful if you were only staying in Tokyo.

divusrex

Is there a difference between the mobile wifi services provided by GAC and Japan-Wireless? To clarify, I'm asking if one company is better than the other.

I'll be in Tokyo for 2 nights, and Kobe for 4 nights. I'll also be going on day trips to Osaka, Kyoto, and Hiroshima while I'm staying in Kobe.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Is there a difference between the mobile wifi services provided by GAC and Japan-Wireless? To clarify, I'm asking if one company is better than the other.

I'll be in Tokyo for 2 nights, and Kobe for 4 nights. I'll also be going on day trips to Osaka, Kyoto, and Hiroshima while I'm staying in Kobe.

whoooo Kobe's the best city - have a great time! Not actually sure about mobile wifi services but while you're in Kansai you can use free wifi on the hankyu/hanshin lines, and buy wifi with your credit card on the JR lines.

divusrex

whoooo Kobe's the best city - have a great time! Not actually sure about mobile wifi services but while you're in Kansai you can use free wifi on the hankyu/hanshin lines, and buy wifi with your credit card on the JR lines.

Thanks! I'm pretty excited for this trip, it'll be my first visit to Japan. Hopefully it'll be an awesome experience :D

Can I trust Japan-guide's estimate, that its possible in and around Tokyo to have accommodation in capsules and hostel shared dorms for 1500-3000 yen, and a daily food budget of 1500-2500 food budget if I stick to the cheap stuff (convenient store, street food, cheapest restaurants) ? < Other places say that its unrealistic to do it under 200 USD per day (not counting Rail pass). I think that sounds like a lot!

So if I have my rail pass, and then set a budget of 5500 Yen(food + accommodation) per day, then that would take care of transport, food and accommodation.

That still leaves the price of activities, entrance fees and the hard to get places. I don't assume there is any affordable way to get Okinawa by boat or something along those lines?

Tl;DR - Does 5500 yen (not counting rail pass, flights) sound like a doable budget? (47 USD, per day on food/accommodation) how much more for activites, sightseeings and experiences(i know some things are expensive like mount fuji or Disney SEA, but just the general stuff like entrance fee to a temple or science museum, or SEGA arcade ). And should I add extra emergency funds, for outstanding things I simply need to try?

thanks!

That sort of food budget will be fine if you are sticking to cheap food. Going to the supermarket and getting a boxed lunch or dinner will run you 300-500 yen per meal for instance.Water and Soft Drinks are 100-150. If you can find a 3000 yen hostel, and have transportation covered that does sound doable here in Tokyo.It won't be spectacular food, but it is easily doable.

Can I trust Japan-guide's estimate, that its possible in and around Tokyo to have accommodation in capsules and hostel shared dorms for 1500-3000 yen, and a daily food budget of 1500-2500 food budget if I stick to the cheap stuff (convenient store, street food, cheapest restaurants) ? < Other places say that its unrealistic to do it under 200 USD per day (not counting Rail pass). I think that sounds like a lot!

So if I have my rail pass, and then set a budget of 5500 Yen(food + accommodation) per day, then that would take care of transport, food and accommodation.

That still leaves the price of activities, entrance fees and the hard to get places. I don't assume there is any affordable way to get Okinawa by boat or something along those lines?

Tl;DR - Does 5500 yen (not counting rail pass, flights) sound like a doable budget? (47 USD, per day on food/accommodation) how much more for activites, sightseeings and experiences(i know some things are expensive like mount fuji or Disney SEA, but just the general stuff like entrance fee to a temple or science museum, or SEGA arcade ). And should I add extra emergency funds, for outstanding things I simply need to try?

thanks!

For hotels, 3000 yen seems pretty low even for capsules. 1500 for food is totally doable. Rice balls are 100 yen each at convenience stores and I only need 2 to fill up, but I guess it will depend on your appetite. Transport, activities and souvenirs really add up, so make sure you watch out for that ^^ Temples usually cost between 300-1000yen for entry, but arcades are free. Emergency funds is probably a good idea, you'll want to do/see/buy/eat a lot of things over there on a whim I'm sure.

thanks!

If you're just going to be in Tokyo, then you shouldn't get a JR Pass. That's just a waste of money then. A lot of attractions should be 1000 JPY or less.

The temple in Asakusa and Meiji Shrine is free to access, same with arcades, unless you're talking about Tokyo Joypolis.

And $200 a day? Haha. I don't think I ever spent that much in a day in Tokyo myself (except when I bought an expensive BD set).

For hotels, 3000 yen seems pretty low even for capsules.

3000 JPY is enough for shared dorms in hostels though.

For hotels, 3000 yen seems pretty low even for capsules. 1500 for food is totally doable. Rice balls are 100 yen each at convenience stores and I only need 2 to fill up, but I guess it will depend on your appetite. Transport, activities and souvenirs really add up, so make sure you watch out for that ^^ Temples usually cost between 300-1000yen for entry, but arcades are free. Emergency funds is probably a good idea, you'll want to do/see/buy/eat a lot of things over there on a whim I'm sure.

If you're just going to be in Tokyo, then you shouldn't get a JR Pass. That's just a waste of money then. A lot of attractions should be 1000 JPY or less.

The temple in Asakusa and Meiji Shrine is free to access, same with arcades, unless you're talking about Tokyo Joypolis.

And $200 a day? Haha. I don't think I ever spent that much in a day in Tokyo myself (except when I bought an expensive BD set).

3000 JPY is enough for shared dorms in hostels though.

Ok, thank you guys. I really appreciate the honesty and telling it like it is!

I was hoping to do two months(60 days). My bucket list plan was to get the 21-day-rail-pass, and try to see as much as possible in those 21 days, and then relax and take lower in Tokyo.

• TOKYO
    Showa Memorial Park
    Disney Sea
    Roppongi
    Sky Tree
    Asakusa
    Rikugien
    Ueno Park
    Yoyogi Park
    Happoen Garden
    Chidorigafuchi
    Minato District
    Shibuya
    Meiji Shrine
    Shinjuku Gyoen Garden
    Shinjuku
    Akihabara
    CLUB SEGA
    Sakuraba MMA Gym
    Sumo Wrestling

• AROUND TOKYO (day trips)
    Kamakura
    Hakone
    Yokohama
    Kawagoe
    Mount Kumotori
    Odaiba
    Mount Fuji

• KYOTO
    Bamboo Forest
    Kiyomizudera
    Five Story Pagoda

• OSAKA
    Umeda Sky Building
    National Museum of Art
    Tsu&#772;tenkaku
    Tempozan Ferris Wheel
    Universal Studios (I'm debating if I should see this here, or the one in Singapore)
    Aquarium
    Shinsaibashi

• KOBE

• NARA
    Mount Yoshino
    Nara Park

• HIROSHIMA

• KANAZAWA
    Geisha District
    Samurai Quarters
    Kenrokuern Garden
    Tsuzumi-mon

• NAGANO
    Narai Post Town

• NAGOYA
    Nagoya Castle

• KUMAMOTO
    Kumamoto Castle
    Okoshiki Beach

• NAGASAKI
    Mount Inasa

• OKINAWA (I'm worried this region will be too expensive)
    Miyakojima Island
    Ishigaki Island
    Cape Hedo
    American Village
    Okinawa Aquarium

• NIKKO
    Onsen with snow monkeys

My entire Japan Budget is 4500 USD (524583 Yen), which averages to 75 USD ( 8741 Yen) per day. + Rail Pass. Do you think I can make it work within this range?

Do you have any suggestions or advice to my bucket list? Some things that are redundant or unnecessary due to some other things?

I was hoping to do two months(60 days). My bucket list plan was to get the 21-day-rail-pass, and try to see as much as possible in those 21 days, and then relax and take lower in Tokyo.

My entire Japan Budget is 4500 USD (524583 Yen), which averages to 75 USD ( 8741 Yen) per day. + Rail Pass. Do you think I can make it work within this range?

Do you have any suggestions or advice to my bucket list? Some things that are redundant or unnecessary due to some other things?

Ah, ok. When are you going?

The first thing you should do is look up the prices for all the attractions you're going to visit and subtract that from the total sum. Set up an google spreadsheet or something.

If you have to cut anything, then Okinawa should probably be the first, since that will be pretty expensive.

I see you have a lot of parks and gardens you plan to visit in Tokyo. Might want to cut back a little? Dunno how interested you are in flowers and such though.

Zatoth

thanks!

Should be doable. I stayed 20 days in Japan this summer and it came to 150&#8364; (~190$) per day. This includes my flight from Europe, two inland flights and a 2 week JR pass. Excluding them it would be 96&#8364; (120$) per day.

Right so I'm all set for a trip to Japan with a couple of friends. Going between December 28th - January 6th so we'll be there for new year.

This'll be my 4th trip to the country but first time I've visited at this time of year. For anyone that lives out there or has been at this time of year, any specific festivals or events I should check out around this time? We'll be based in Tokyo but will of course be willing to travel out to other cities/regions within a reasonable distance.

Ayumi

Right so I'm all set for a trip to Japan with a couple of friends. Going between December 28th - January 6th so we'll be there for new year.

This'll be my 4th trip to the country but first time I've visited at this time of year. For anyone that lives out there or has been at this time of year, any specific festivals or events I should check out around this time? We'll be based in Tokyo but will of course be willing to travel out to other cities/regions within a reasonable distance.

Search this thread for "new year" and also check out MikeHattsu's posts in here (yes, there are many, but the man is wise and full of touristy advice) and you will find the answer to your questions. :3

Search this thread for "new year" and also check out MikeHattsu's posts in here (yes, there are many, but the man is wise and full of touristy advice) and you will find the answer to your questions. :3

MiJce9g.gif

Could go to Meiji Shrine on the 1st and check out the New Years shrine visit crowds and go to the Imperial Palace on the 2nd and check out the New Year Greeting:
http://www.kunaicho.go.jp/e-about/kyuchu/shukuga01.html

DTU

Banned
Name please? I love onsen, is it doable to go to an outdoor onsen in winter? Or is it too cold?

I actually can't remember, sorry, but there should only be one in that area. It being cold won't matter, as it's quite hot. This onsen had indoor and outdoor baths, so if you go outside, prepare for a chilly redressing.

scarlet

It used to be similar, one is more expensive tho and has 10 gb limit for their fastest model. Sorry forgot which one.

IIRC last spring I used japan wireless, and next trip I use GAC.

About onsen, I think I found the one with mt. Fuji view in Hakone.

scarlet

• TOKYO
    Showa Memorial Park
    Disney Sea
    Roppongi
    Sky Tree
    Asakusa
    Rikugien
    Ueno Park
    Yoyogi Park
    Happoen Garden
    Chidorigafuchi
    Minato District
    Shibuya
    Meiji Shrine
    Shinjuku Gyoen Garden
    Shinjuku
    Akihabara
    CLUB SEGA
    Sakuraba MMA Gym
    Sumo Wrestling

• AROUND TOKYO (day trips)
    Kamakura
    Hakone
    Yokohama
    Kawagoe
    Mount Kumotori
    Odaiba
    Mount Fuji

• KYOTO
    Bamboo Forest
    Kiyomizudera
    Five Story Pagoda

• OSAKA
    Umeda Sky Building
    National Museum of Art
    Tsu&#772;tenkaku
    Tempozan Ferris Wheel
    Universal Studios (I'm debating if I should see this here, or the one in Singapore)
    Aquarium
    Shinsaibashi

• KOBE

• NARA
    Mount Yoshino
    Nara Park

• HIROSHIMA

• KANAZAWA
    Geisha District
    Samurai Quarters
    Kenrokuern Garden
    Tsuzumi-mon

• NAGANO
    Narai Post Town

• NAGOYA
    Nagoya Castle

• KUMAMOTO
    Kumamoto Castle
    Okoshiki Beach

• NAGASAKI
    Mount Inasa

• OKINAWA (I'm worried this region will be too expensive)
    Miyakojima Island
    Ishigaki Island
    Cape Hedo
    American Village
    Okinawa Aquarium

• NIKKO
    Onsen with snow monkeys

$100 per day in Japan is doable. But if you stay in hostels or cheap hotels.

And about Universal Studios, the Singapore one isn't that big, but better attractions cuz they're still new.

Sorry, for the double post. Editing using mobile is torturing.

Edit: No Fushimi Inari??? Blasphemy!

Heading to Tokyo Dec 27-Jan 11

The plan is to see a lot of pro wrestling and some friends. I'll be there with four other people but Jan 7-11 I'll be on my own. Any day trip recommendations out of Tokyo that would be easy for a non Japanese speaker to get to? Anyone know when Sumo starts up?

I'm trying to figure out train pass stuff now as we're heading to Shinjuku but restrictions, lines, and reservation scenarios make my head spin.

I'm looking to backpack some parts of Japan (Tokyo & Kyoto are my main choices) for a photography trip some time next year. I plan to stay there for 1 month or a little more and will have a $2,000 budget. Usually, backpacking on a low budget is really easy in America & Europe, but I hear i might be different in Japan. If I just want to stay at hostels, ride the JR and pay for my own food to cook (And admissions to temples and such), will it be possible?

I'm looking to backpack some parts of Japan (Tokyo & Kyoto are my main choices) for a photography trip some time next year. I plan to stay there for 1 month or a little more and will have a $2,000 budget. Usually, backpacking on a low budget is really easy in America & Europe, but I hear i might be different in Japan. If I just want to stay at hostels, ride the JR and pay for my own food to cook (And admissions to temples and such), will it be possible?

Yes, if that's not counting plane cost. See the rest of the current page.

You should choose either Kyoto/Osaka or Tokyo/nearby areas, not do both.

Since you're gonna be there for a month, check out Sakura House for a monthly rental in Tokyo:
http://www.sakura-house.com

Ah, ok. When are you going?

The first thing you should do is look up the prices for all the attractions you're going to visit and subtract that from the total sum. Set up an google spreadsheet or something.

If you have to cut anything, then Okinawa should probably be the first, since that will be pretty expensive.

I see you have a lot of parks and gardens you plan to visit in Tokyo. Might want to cut back a little? Dunno how interested you are in flowers and such though.

Mike, thanks a lot mate. Everything you said made me revise.

1) I Would be coming from South East Asia, and the rain season starts in February, so I could reach Japan as early as late feb/march, which is the high season with nice temps.
The downside is the higher prices. Are the cherry blossoms really that amazing?
And if I would go in June-July-August, would it just be crazy rain?

2) If I want to stay within the 100 USD per day budget, I will hit 5000 USD after six weeks, so I think six weeks will be my max.
It also means I have had to cut some stuff off my list. I see now that I had way to many temples and gardens.
In your opinion, for six weeks, budget solo traveller, does this bucket list sound more balanced;

21 Days spent in Tokyo, doing the major districts trying to get a balanced experience of relaxation, culture, tourist stuff, weird stuff, socializing, nerd stuff, spiritual stuff, history stuff, zen stuff, park/temples/shrine stuff, iconic japan stuff:

TOKYO
Sky Tree
Koishikawa Korakuen
Harajuku District
Tsukiji Fish Market
Ueno Park
Rikugien Garden

Asakusa Kaminarimon (Kaminari Gate)
Sensoji Temple
Asakusa Shrine
Rokku Entertainment Distric
Sumida Park

Shibuya
Center Gai
Koen Dori
Spain Slope
Yoyogi Park
Meiji Shrine

Shinjuku District
Golden Gai
Japanese Sword Museum
Shinjuku Park

Akihabara District
Gundam Cafe
Anime, Manga, Games

Roppongi District
Roppongi Nightlife

Odaiba
Museum of Emerging Science
Rainbow Bridge

AROUND TOKYO
Takosan (Mount Takao)
Monkey Park (Mount Takao)
Mitakesan (Mount Mitake)

21-Days using my rail pass to the fullest south of Tokyo;

Mount Koya
Temples, Hikes, Trails

OSAKA
Universal Studios
Osaka Aquarium
Osaka Castle
Sumiyoshi Taisha
Shinsekai
Abeno Harukas Top Deck
Uemeda Sky Building

KYOTO
Nijo Castle
Nishiki Market
Higashiyama District
Kiyomizudera Temple
Gion (Geisha District)
Fushimi Inari Shrine (thanks scarlet!)
Bamboo Forest
Monkey Park Iwatayama

NARA
Temples and Parks
National Museum (Buddhist Art)
Nara Park
Mount Yoshino

Kyoto and Osaka and Nara is what I feel must pulled towards, but I wonder if I would be able to squeeze or two more cities in there, (If I spent a week in Osaka and a week combined in Kyoto/Nara, I would have another week for some other place; Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Nagoya, Nagano, Nikko, Kanazawa, Kumamoto? It's hard to choose.

I feel like with seeing these things Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka should have given me a pretty balanced view of what Japan has to offer. I don't want to suffer from temple burnout.:D

I see a whole lot of advising against traveling to Japan in the summer months, is it really that miserable? May or June is looking like the best time for me and my friends. Keep in mind we all live in a climate with 90 degree weather and 90% humidity a few months out of the year so we are certainly used to that kind of weather, even if it isn't ideal.

Marow

While it's rather far away (exactly one year till the application deadline and two till I'm actually there, but hey, gotta plan beforehand), I'm thinking of studying abroad during my university studies. And I figure Japan would be a pretty fun place to stay! As such, I figured I could ask a quick question here since I assume many of you have been - or will go - to Japan.

The study period will be during fall semester 2016, meaning it ranges from October to March. I am looking into if it's possible to extend the period so I also stay there in spring, as in April to September, but I have no idea if this is feasible or not.

The two universities that seem to be available for me are Hokkaido University in Sapporo and Tokyo Metropolitan University in Tokyo.

Now, just by this, which place would you recommend choosing? Ignore the universities themselves if you're not familiar with them, as what I'm interested in the most is the locations. Sapporo or Tokyo for six (or twelve) months. What would you say is the best and why?

Personally, I think both can be fine. Tokyo may be rather exciting as it's, well, Tokyo! This also means it's rather easy to travel to different regions or places as it's much closer than being on an island up in the north. However, at the same time, I think Sapporo might be a more unique experience. If I ever were to travel to Japan on vacation I don't think Sapporo would be very high on the list. As such, I would be able to experience Sapporo - and Hokkaido - in a way I otherwise wouldn't. And since I'm from Sweden, I don't think the Japanese summers would kill me as the climate is cooler there. On the other hand, I have no idea what there is to do in Hokkaido. So please share your stories!

Another silly reason I might prefer Sapporo is that I kinda want to take a trip through all of Japan after my studies, perhaps by bike. And starting at the north and ending in the south sounds good!

Draff

Universal studios in Japan has the new Harry Potter Wizarding World - if you're a fan.

Are you skipping Himeji Castle? One optional side trip from Kobe is to take the 20 minute trip to see the Akashi Kaiky&#333; Bridge and then another 30 minutes or so to Himeji.

Ayumi

I think it would be good to update the OP with some FAQ stuff including the most common places, for examaple:

"I'm in Japan during NYE, where should I go?
- Tokyo: <places & events here>
- Kyoto: <places & events here>
- Somewhere: <places & events here>
etc

"When should I go for viewing the cherry blossoms?"
- Tokyo/Kyoto: <date here>
- Aomori/North of Japan: <date here>
- <Place>: <stuff>
etc

"My budget is tight and I'm staying for x amount of days. Suggestions on accomodation?"
- Tokyo: <hotel/whatever name>
- <Area>
etc, etc

You get what I mean, right? Would also make it easier for more people to answer and contribute to the information/FAQ.

hwalker84

I think it would be good to update the OP with some FAQ stuff including the most common places, for examaple:

"I'm in Japan during NYE, where should I go?
- Tokyo: <places & events here>
- Kyoto: <places & events here>
- Somewhere: <places & events here>
etc

"When should I go for viewing the cherry blossoms?"
- Tokyo/Kyoto: <date here>
- Aomori/North of Japan: <date here>
- <Place>: <stuff>
etc

"My budget is tight and I'm staying for x amount of days. Suggestions on accomodation?"
- Tokyo: <hotel/whatever name>
- <Area>
etc, etc

You get what I mean, right? Would also make it easier for more people to answer and contribute to the information/FAQ.

Good idea.

Mike, thanks a lot mate. Everything you said made me revise.

1) I Would be coming from South East Asia, and the rain season starts in February, so I could reach Japan as early as late feb/march, which is the high season with nice temps.
The downside is the higher prices. Are the cherry blossoms really that amazing?
And if I would go in June-July-August, would it just be crazy rain?

2) If I want to stay within the 100 USD per day budget, I will hit 5000 USD after six weeks, so I think six weeks will be my max.
It also means I have had to cut some stuff off my list. I see now that I had way to many temples and gardens.
In your opinion, for six weeks, budget solo traveller, does this bucket list sound more balanced;

21 Days spent in Tokyo, doing the major districts trying to get a balanced experience of relaxation, culture, tourist stuff, weird stuff, socializing, nerd stuff, spiritual stuff, history stuff, zen stuff, park/temples/shrine stuff, iconic japan stuff:

21-Days using my rail pass to the fullest south of Tokyo;

Kyoto and Osaka and Nara is what I feel must pulled towards, but I wonder if I would be able to squeeze or two more cities in there, (If I spent a week in Osaka and a week combined in Kyoto/Nara, I would have another week for some other place; Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Nagoya, Nagano, Nikko, Kanazawa, Kumamoto? It's hard to choose.

I feel like with seeing these things Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka should have given me a pretty balanced view of what Japan has to offer. I don't want to suffer from temple burnout.:D

1. In addition to some rain in June, July and August it's also hot and humid as hell. I'd avoid it. If you book early enough (like right now) you can still find good prices for hostels.

2. Try get a room at Sakura House while in Tokyo. It's cheaper than hostels and you can then stay in Tokyo for a month:
http://www.sakura-house.com

You can easily take a day trip or two from Osaka/Kyoto to Hiroshima and Nagoya with the JR Pass and the Shinkansen. And day trips from Tokyo to Nikko.

Oh, and add more stuff to do while in Odaiba. Might even want to add a second day, so much stuff to see and experience there.

I see a whole lot of advising against traveling to Japan in the summer months, is it really that miserable? May or June is looking like the best time for me and my friends. Keep in mind we all live in a climate with 90 degree weather and 90% humidity a few months out of the year so we are certainly used to that kind of weather, even if it isn't ideal.

In addition to the heat, there's a lot of rainy days. The air conditioning on some trains and underground stations isn't the best so it can get pretty hot. But if you're used to such weather and it's the best time for you to go...

• KYOTO
    Bamboo Forest
    Kiyomizudera
    Five Story Pagoda
    Nijo Castle (the Shogun Kyoto residence during edo, everything is very old and beautiful and the main building has nightinggale floors etc. It's pretty cool)
    Fushimi Inari shrine is also really lovely (it's the one with the red tori gate tunnels
    Check out Gion, there's some really beautiful old streets around there.

• OSAKA
    Umeda Sky Building
    National Museum of Art
    Tsu&#772;tenkaku
    Tempozan Ferris Wheel
    Universal Studios (I'm debating if I should see this here, or the one in Singapore)Depends when you go, but it will likely be insanely crowded if you go to the Japan one. They did just open Harry Potter world though, which was awesome.
    Aquarium
    Shinsaibashi
    Make sure you check out the nerd stuff in Namba. The mandarake there is probably the best in Japan imo (much bigger than the Tokyo ones), also eat street vendor takoyaki.
  • KOBE
    Arima Onsen (If you like onsens this is a really beautiful town and so SO relaxing)
    (not exactly Kobe but) Himeji castle is a must. Just double check to make sure all the construction is finished.
    Also not exactly Kobe but Takeda castle is apparently very beautiful. The machu pichu of Japan. Sadly I never got there but go in my stead!

• NARA
    Mount Yoshino
    Nara Park
    Make sure you get to Todaiji!!
  • HIROSHIMA
    Peace park (bring tissues)
    Miyajima
    The famous Hiroshima Okonomiyaki tower

I added some ideas for Kansai and Hiroshima :3

pfftttttt, August is the only time where the heat and humidity got uncomfortable for me (I'm Australian, for reference). May/June is still generally pretty cool. July and August also have a bunch of festivals so to the contrary I recommend it a lot!

There's cherry blossoms in Tokyo as well. No matter which you choose you gotta be there around the last week of March/first week of April to catch the season.

Eh, even with Cherry blossoms though Tokyo isn't as beautiful as Kyoto.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
&#12383;&#12384;&#12356;&#12414;&#12353;&#12353;&#12353;&#12353;&#12353;&#12353;&#65281;I am coming home. march 7 until march 27 I'll be in Osaka/Kyoto/Kobe/Nara.

Feels good to go back to japan. I miss my life in japan. But in my time in japan I've never been in Kansai. Ideas for trips are welcome.

stealth edit, just saw that a similar question was just answered.

In addition to the heat, there's a lot of rainy days. The air conditioning on some trains and underground stations isn't the best so it can get pretty hot. But if you're used to such weather and it's the best time for you to go...

pfftttttt, August is the only time where the heat and humidity got uncomfortable for me (I'm Australian, for reference). May/June is still generally pretty cool. July and August also have a bunch of festivals so to the contrary I recommend it a lot!

Thanks guys. Yeah I'd certainly prefer to go in Spring or Autumn but fitting together 3 or 4 peoples' life and work schedules gives us limited options as far as what will work for everyone.

Thanks guys. Yeah I'd certainly prefer to go in Spring or Autumn but fitting together 3 or 4 peoples' life and work schedules gives us limited options as far as what will work for everyone.

Mid-May to late May would probably be the best time to go within that timeslot. Avoids Golden Week at the start of May and the rainy season in June.

Zornica

Banned
I was thinking about taking a red leaf watching trip next weekend, but I'm still not sure where I should go. Would Hakone be a good spot? or maybe Takao? I would love to take a trip to the mountains, something like Chuzenji in nikko, but it should be within reasonable reach from Yokohama if possible.

red13th

Dude don't forget to walk from Kiyomizudera to Gion, it's not far (like, 20min?) and the streets are straight out of a feudal Japan anime. Kyoto is overall amazing. Fushimi Inari and Arashiyama also cannot be missed.

Zatoth

Heat isn't too bad in June. At least it wasn't this year. But it is the rainy season. So there is always that risk.

Top Bottom