• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Zyzyxxz

Most definitely. Shinjuku is our base of operations, but we are 10 minutes walking distance from a very large subway station. We have plans almost every day, with a few lazy rest days.

Yeah I wish I had that kind of lax schedule when I went. I tried to cram way too much in 5 days and was exhausted by the end. It does help if your accommodations is close to the train so you can rest midday.

So I have some questions about JR passes. First, do you need to activate it to use teh Yamanote line and the other 2 lines( forgot the names)? Secondly, can I schedule the days I actually want to use?

Im planning on buying 7 -day pass. I know I want to visit Fukuoka. What other cities would be worth visiting in between Tokyo and Fukuoka in a 7-day JR pass?

Yamanote line is just commuter rail. I wouldn't use the JR Pass except on days with long-distance travel. Most Yamanote line trips are less than 200JPY.

So I have some questions about JR passes. First, do you need to activate it to use teh Yamanote line and the other 2 lines( forgot the names)? Secondly, can I schedule the days I actually want to use?

Im planning on buying 7 -day pass. I know I want to visit Fukuoka. What other cities would be worth visiting in between Tokyo and Fukuoka in a 7-day JR pass?

No, you don't need to use the JR Pass for Tokyo. Just get a Suica/Pasmo card.

You can schedule the days you want to use the JR Pass when you trade the exchange order for the pass itself while in Tokyo.

A visit to Kyoto/Osaka/Nara is good. Hiroshima and Kobe is on the way as well. Depends on how long you plan to stay in Fukuoka.

sfedai0

Banned
No, you don't need to use the JR Pass for Tokyo. Just get a Suica/Pasmo card.

You can schedule the days you want to use the JR Pass when you trade the exchange order for the pass itself while in Tokyo.

A visit to Kyoto/Osaka/Nara is good. Hiroshima and Kobe is on the way as well. Depends on how long you plan to stay in Fukuoka.

Yamanote line is just commuter rail. I wouldn't use the JR Pass except on days with long-distance travel. Most Yamanote line trips are less than 200JPY.

What I meant was if I can travel for free on the Yamanote line if I had a JR pass? Or would using it count against the days you had on the pass? Also, I would prob like to stay 1-2 days in each city, but on a 7-day pass, the number of cities would be limited.

I'll look in to the cities you mentioned, MikeHattsu. Thx!

Ayumi

What I meant was if I can travel for free on the Yamanote line if I had a JR pass? Or would using it count against the days you had on the pass? Also, I would prob like to stay 1-2 days in each city, but on a 7-day pass, the number of cities would be limited.

If you already have it for other things like longer travels, you don't have to pay for extra tickets for short trips within the city, if that's what you mean.

Within the 7 day period of the 7 day JR Pass you can ride the trains on the Yamanote line for free. You can't ride trains for free on the days you don't have an active JR Pass.

Nara and Hiroshima is 1 day trips. Osaka and Kyoto can take several days or even weeks to explore fully :p

gerg

I was wondering if anyone could help me with information about travelling around Hokkaido in late May/early June, primarily for hiking. I'm only going to have a couple of weeks in total, so I know that I won't have "enough" time wherever I go, but I was wondering if people had any advice in terms of weather, and whether perhaps it'd be too cold to really make the most of it - ideally I'd like to go to Wakkanai and Rebun Island, but I read that in May it's only an average 12C in the former, so I can't imagine it being much warmer (if not actively colder) on the latter. I've otherwise looked at going to Daisetsuzan or the Akan National Park.

So, is it worth braving the cold to go that far north?

gerg

That's the average high temperature. There's also the average low temperature that's around 6C:
http://www.worldweatheronline.com/Wakkanai-weather-averages/Hokkaido/JP.aspx

And for Rebun Island:
http://www.worldweatheronline.com/Rebun-weather-averages/Hokkaido/JP.aspx

Oh, I didn't realise it could actually get a bit higher on Rebun Island than in Wakkanai.

I know it'd be cold, but I kind of figure that if I'm out and about walking anyway it might not be too much an issue. It's more whether the hiking would actually be possible at that time of year. I've checked flights and the indirect options I'm looking at don't seem to get much higher even in the peak of the holiday season, but I kind of like the idea of going in May/June. (There's also the question of whether any accommodation would be open then, too.)

Ultryx

Hey Japan Travel GAF. Yesterday I bought my brother and I tickets to Japan. This will be our first trip outside of the U.S. I have a question about flight departure times and stuff though. I'm new to traveling outside time zones and I'm a little confused. When I selected our departure date, I selected May 21st, 2015. I select the return date as June 11th, 2015 based on their fare calendar.

When I view the selected flight returning to the U.S. from Tokyo it says:

Departs: Thurs Jun 11, 12:30AM
Arrives: Previous Day Wed Jun 10, 6:59PM

After a short layover we should be back home at 10:55PM on Wed Jun 10.

In the email confirmation we received though, it shows a departure time of Wed Jun 10 at 12:30AM. I know we're moving ahead one day going to Japan and then going back one day when we return to the U.S. I'm confused if I need to be there for the flight TUES night because 12:30AM would actually be Wednesday, or are they saying be there WED night and 12:30AM hits and it's technically THURS. I'm so damn confused.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Hey Japan Travel GAF. Yesterday I bought my brother and I tickets to Japan. This will be our first trip outside of the U.S. I have a question about flight departure times and stuff though. I'm new to traveling outside time zones and I'm a little confused. When I selected our departure date, I selected May 21st, 2015. I select the return date as June 11th, 2015 based on their fare calendar.

When I view the selected flight returning to the U.S. from Tokyo it says:

After a short layover we should be back home at 10:55PM on Wed Jun 10.

In the email confirmation we received though, it shows a departure time of Wed Jun 10 at 12:30AM. I know we're moving ahead one day going to Japan and then going back one day when we return to the U.S. I'm confused if I need to be there for the flight TUES night because 12:30AM would actually be Wednesday, or are they saying be there WED night and 12:30AM hits and it's technically THURS. I'm so damn confused.

12:30 AM is already Thursday.

Example if you need to be 2 hours before you need to be on Wednesday at 10:30. PM.

Thursday officially start at 12:00 AM.

Ultryx

12:30 AM is already Thursday.

Example if you need to be 2 hours before you need to be on Wednesday at 10:30. PM.

Thursday officially start at 12:00 AM.

I know that Thursday begins Wednesday night, once it becomes midnight. I wanted us to leave Thursday morning at 12:30AM. That way we would get to the airport, say at 10:30PM for a 12:30AM departure on Thursday. The email says we would depart 12:30AM on Wednesday, which would mean we would need to be at the airport Tuesday night at ~ 10:30PM for a 12:30AM flight, which would then be Wednesday. Do you see what I'm saying? Man I feel so crazy.

Edit: Are they just saying Wednesday so I will be at the airport Wednesday night, waiting for 12:30AM Thursday? Because that's what would make sense to me.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I know that Thursday begins Wednesday night, once it becomes midnight. I wanted us to leave Thursday morning at 12:30AM. That way we would get to the airport, say at 10:30PM for a 12:30AM departure on Thursday. The email says we would depart 12:30AM on Wednesday, which would mean we would need to be at the airport Tuesday night at ~ 10:30PM for a 12:30AM flight, which would then be Wednesday. Do you see what I'm saying? Man I feel so crazy.

Edit: Are they just saying Wednesday so I will be at the airport Wednesday night, waiting for 12:30AM Thursday? Because that's what would make sense to me.

Yes, but you but this

According to that, you need to be in the airport Wednesday night to get the flight on Thursday 12:30 AM.

The need to give you the dates in the local timezone not in your main Timezone.

Ultryx

Yes, but you but this

According to that, you need to be in the airport Wednesday night to get the flight on Thursday 12:30 AM.

The need to give you the dates in the local timezone not in your main Timezone.

Yeah I know. Haha maybe I'm making this complicated. Online when I choose the flight it said we would depart Thursday June 11th at 12:30AM.

In our confirmation email though, it says we're departing Wednesday June 10th at 12:30AM.

That's where the difference lies and I'm confused.

Edit: I assumed they put the correct dates and times based upon the timezone you're in.

The hell is going on with the Yen? Was 102Y to 1AU last week, now its 95Y to 1 AU.

Well, it went down due to the news of the recession, but it spiked back up a bit... I wonder if it has something to do with the elections. I think I'd read that people generally voted along his party lines again, and seem to continue to support his economic policies.

On another note, I was in Hiroshima last night, and it began to snow around 10PM-ish. I woke up to this:
WP_20141217_001_zpsd0634494.jpg

Sadly, this made me late for my Mazda Museum appointment. My Shinkansen was also late by about 10 minutes. Luckily, thanks to JR pass, I'll be booking it back down to Hiroshima Friday morning for a make-up tour. I was actually worried I wouldn't make my money back on it...

hwalker84

Well, it went down due to the news of the recession, but it spiked back up a bit... I wonder if it has something to do with the elections. I think I'd read that people generally voted along his party lines again, and seem to continue to support his economic policies.

On another note, I was in Hiroshima last night, and it began to snow around 10PM-ish. I woke up to this:
WP_20141217_001_zpsd0634494.jpg

Sadly, this made me late for my Mazda Museum appointment. My Shinkansen was also late by about 10 minutes. Luckily, thanks to JR pass, I'll be booking it back down to Hiroshima Friday morning for a make-up tour. I was actually worried I wouldn't make my money back on it...

Mazda museum was awesome.

muu

I have a trip set up for next spring, I'll land in Haneda around 10PM and fly out of Haneda at 1PM the next day to Itami. We're staying in either the hotel @ the international terminal or domestic terminal 2 -- most likely the former, as it's about $60 cheaper.

Any interesting places we can get to quickly and painlessly (and back) from Haneda in the morning? It'll be Monday morning and I'll have my 1yr old daughter with me. I wanted to check out Odaiba but that'd be a 1hr trip both ways. Worst case Haneda's international terminal looks like a tailor-built tourist trap, so I can show the wife the "edo town" instead of wasting time wading through somewhere like Asakusa.

red13th

kinda of giving up finding a ryokan on Kyoto, I emailed two and they both said there was no vacancy since according to the forecast it's full bloom season.

Any interesting places we can get to quickly and painlessly (and back) from Haneda in the morning? It'll be Monday morning and I'll have my 1yr old daughter with me. I wanted to check out Odaiba but that'd be a 1hr trip both ways. Worst case Haneda's international terminal looks like a tailor-built tourist trap, so I can show the wife the "edo town" instead of wasting time wading through somewhere like Asakusa.

How early? A lot of stuff is closed before 10AM or so. Sounds better to just stay near Haneda, then you avoid the crowded morning trains as well.

Zyzyxxz

I have a trip set up for next spring, I'll land in Haneda around 10PM and fly out of Haneda at 1PM the next day to Itami. We're staying in either the hotel @ the international terminal or domestic terminal 2 -- most likely the former, as it's about $60 cheaper.

Only thing I can think of is the Tsukiji Fish Market which you can spend as little as 1 hour or as much as 3-4 hours depending on how interested you are in seeing a market which supplies high quality fish all over the world. According to Google maps should take you ~40 mins to get there by train and walking. Since it opens really early you can go there as soon as the trains start running and then start making your way back by 10AM and be back in time to catch your flight.

Resilient

When I go back with my girlfriend, we are gonna do an all snowboarding, all ryokan trip, with maybe 1 city day in Tokyo to see what's on offer and get some sweet sweet Kikanbou in Kanda.

muu

Only thing I can think of is the Tsukiji Fish Market which you can spend as little as 1 hour or as much as 3-4 hours depending on how interested you are in seeing a market which supplies high quality fish all over the world. According to Google maps should take you ~40 mins to get there by train and walking. Since it opens really early you can go there as soon as the trains start running and then start making your way back by 10AM and be back in time to catch your flight.

interesting, i'll look into it.

Most likely I'll just follow the "stay in Haneda" route though... wife does not like huge crowds, might as well not try to start it with a bang.

TheExodu5

Banned
Going to Japan for 3-4 days before heading to Hong Kong afterwards. Trying to figure out what we should do. I made a thread, but figured I'd post here since I didn't know this thread existed.

So, I think the plan now might be to stay near Tokyo since maybe I don't want to spend much time traveling. Still, a co-worker of mine really recommends I take the high speed rail somewhere. I don't know if it's worth considering that or not. He also suggest I go to the fish market one morning and see the auctions.

I would like a balance between city and natural scenery. One poster already recommended Yoyogi park so I'm considering that. I was also considering seeing the Jigokudani Monkey Park, but I don't know if it's worth taking the time to travel out there.

Going to Japan for 3-4 days before heading to Hong Kong afterwards. Trying to figure out what we should do. I made a thread, but figured I'd post here since I didn't know this thread existed.

So, I think the plan now might be to stay near Tokyo since maybe I don't want to spend much time traveling. Still, a co-worker of mine really recommends I take the high speed rail somewhere. I don't know if it's worth considering that or not. He also suggest I go to the fish market one morning and see the auctions.

I would like a balance between city and natural scenery. One poster already recommended Yoyogi park so I'm considering that. I was also considering seeing the Jigokudani Monkey Park, but I don't know if it's worth taking the time to travel out there.

If you're just there for 3-4 days then just check out Tokyo. Plenty to do there.

If you're just there for 3-4 days, stay in Tokyo and do a day trip nearby if you're really itching to get out of the city. Nikko is my favorite of the Kamakura, Hakone, Nikko trifecta.

You could take the shinkansen from Tokyo Station to Odawara. It's a short trip, but probably expensive and not really worth it unless you want to spend an entire day and go to Hakone.

red13th

Found a ryokan in Kyoto in some weird Brazilian website, spent a crapload of money so I guess we'll have to cut our trip to Hakone. :/
Kyoto is so good though, should be worth it.

hwalker84

Question. How is Okinawa? I didn't make it their last time and I'm thinking of making that one of my stops this trip. Also what do my fellow gafers think would be a good 3 week window to hit Cherry Blossom season in 2015? Thanks!

gerg

Question. How is Okinawa? I didn't make it their last time and I'm thinking of making that one of my stops this trip. Also what do my fellow gafers think would be a good 3 week window to hit Cherry Blossom season in 2015? Thanks!

If you go to Okinawa, are into hiking, and have the time, I suggest making one last push down to the Yaeyama-shima, specifically Iriomote-jima. The Yaeyama islands are the southernmost islands in Japan, and the climate and scenery there is fantastic. On Iriomote-jima you can go canoeing among mangroves, and then hiking up to some beautiful waterfalls.

I didn't spend much time on Okinawa island itself, but I think if you have a car to get around it's a great way to spend a few days.

KtSlime

Not so good if you live here. Just went to France and oh my god the euro is crazy. I felt bad for every purchase, even the food.
Yeah. The yen makes me cry right now. It's over 120 to the dollar as I type this. It feels terrible to lose thousands in the matter of 3 months by no fault of your own.

I leave Friday for Tokyo! I'll be there most of the time through January 11th. Going to watch a lot of pro wrestling, eat all the food, and try to get to Mt Fuji.

Resilient

About to leave for my trip now. Thanks to the fellas that assisted with the JR pass bookings, it was a huge help!

Much more stressed this time around (trip 2) even though I have a lot more language under my belt. If any gaffers wish to meet up, shout out!

Oh yeah...where is this fabled burnt ramen that a few guys were raving about earlier in the year? Osaka or Tokyo? Is it at the top floor of a Yodabashi? Keen to try it this time!

scarlet

About to leave for my trip now. Thanks to the fellas that assisted with the JR pass bookings, it was a huge help!

Much more stressed this time around (trip 2) even though I have a lot more language under my belt. If any gaffers wish to meet up, shout out!

Oh yeah...where is this fabled burnt ramen that a few guys were raving about earlier in the year? Osaka or Tokyo? Is it at the top floor of a Yodabashi? Keen to try it this time!

Gogyo in Tokyo is in Roppongi, right across the US military base.

But if you're going to Kyoto, should try that one, way much tastier than Roppongi branch.

red13th

Apparently the ryokan I'm staying in (Hiiragiya) is a good good one, just got confirmation. Perfect English and very thoughtful too, I asked if a late check-in was fine and they gave me full instructions from Narita to Kyoto! I love Japan.

Top Bottom