• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Still planning a 4th trip even though it's over a year away, haha. Shooting for Feb 2016 at the moment so we can do Winter WonFes and the Sapporo Snow Festival.

Just trying to figure out where to go outside of Tokyo during our rail pass period. I'm thinking a return visit to Kyoto, as we last did that in 2011, but I'm not too sure what there is to do there. We did the Kinkakuji, so aside from the Ginkakuji, what else is cool and interesting to do there? I'm sure there's plenty, just having trouble finding anything beyond shrines :)

On the same point, does anyone have recommendations for places to take a bullet train to from Tokyo? We've done Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe, Hiroshima, Sendai and Enoshima. Perhaps Nara is worth a look, but I'll need to figure out what else there is to do besides
german suplexing
the deer.

OceanBlue

How hard would it be to make an improvised trip to Tokyo for someone who's never really been outside his country before and doesn't know the language? I just got a job and decided I really wanted to make a trip before I start working, so I'll probably end up leaving after New Years for a week or two.

How is Tokyo in January? I don't really have plans at the moment since I kinda just decided on going, but I'm looking through Japan-Guide and the thread for some concrete ideas on places to visit. I'm sure Tokyo is so large that I'll always find things to do lol. Really interested to see the "youth fashion" stuff in Shibuya though.

This is an awesome thread by the way! So many tips and advice for things I wouldn't have thought of on my own.

Edit: Ah, I'll probably have to get winter clothes while I'm there.

How hard would it be to make an improvised trip to Tokyo for someone who's never really been outside his country before and doesn't know the language? I just got a job and decided I really wanted to make a trip before I start working, so I'll probably end up leaving after New Years for a week or two.

Shouldn't be hard at all as long as you find a place to stay. I knew no Japanese and it went fine.

Ayumi

Heh.. I've been to like 22ish countries during my lifespan (I'm 25 now) and I can't imagine having to feel like I should learn some of the languages of every country I go to, if my only intentions are visiting for a bit.

Although Japan seems like a very high country on the "I wanna move there" list, I agree with MikeHattsu that you don't *need* Japanese to hang out here on vacation, even though it (obviously) might make a few situations easier.

I can't imagine bothering to learn Chinese (surely Japanese share some Hanzi/Kanji but they still make 0 sense in a Chinese sentence) or Korean just because I'm going there on vacation.. :3

besiktas1

Hey guys didn't want to create a new thread, hope you guys can help :)

Will be going for 7 days at 23rd May to the 30th.

We are 7 guys.
We want to see sumo, red light, eat some sushi and see some "kooky" things.

Can you help us with an itinerary please?

Heh.. I've been to like 22ish countries during my lifespan (I'm 25 now) and I can't imagine having to feel like I should learn some of the languages of every country I go to, if my only intentions are visiting for a bit.

Although Japan seems like a very high country on the "I wanna move there" list, I agree with MikeHattsu that you don't *need* Japanese to hang out here on vacation, even though it (obviously) might make a few situations easier.

I can't imagine bothering to learn Chinese (surely Japanese share some Hanzi/Kanji but they still make 0 sense in a Chinese sentence) or Korean just because I'm going there on vacation.. :3

I usually stay in places for anywhere from 1-3 months. I learn the very basics of a language, usually with the help of someone I'm dating. Unfortunately, I forget most of it as soon as I leave (now that I'm in Tokyo, my Chinese and Thai are quickly fading).

It can't hurt to know some Japanese here, but yeah, it's not necessary. Having a local with you, though, makes it so much easier to get by. I was super confused my first day or two.

Hey guys didn't want to create a new thread, hope you guys can help :)

Will be going for 7 days at 23rd May to the 30th.

We are 7 guys.
We want to see sumo, red light, eat some sushi and see some "kooky" things.

Can you help us with an itinerary please?

I hit up the Penguin Bar in Ikebukoro the other night. It was pretty rad.

21NJdJpl.jpg

Torraz

Is there a thing such as a GAF comiket trip/meetup? Now that I am finally in Japan during that timespan, I am greatly motivated to go at least once - just for the experience.

Anyone else in Japan near the end of the year, and wanting to meet up, perhaps for a beer, coffee or a day trip somewhere?

I'll be there from the 26th, and I will again be departing on the 3rd of January. Except for some of the longer daytrips I want to take (such as the ushiku daibutsu) I'm quite flexible.

Cheers.

Ayumi

Is there a thing such as a GAF comiket trip/meetup? Now that I am finally in Japan during that timespan, I am greatly motivated to go at least once - just for the experience.

Anyone else in Japan near the end of the year, and wanting to meet up, perhaps for a beer, coffee or a day trip somewhere?

I'll be there from the 26th, and I will again be departing on the 3rd of January. Except for some of the longer daytrips I want to take (such as the ushiku daibutsu) I'm quite flexible.

Cheers.
Things like Comiket isn't really that good for a meet-up.. people have different tastes, and prefer to just go to get their stuff/stand in hours long industry lines for different things. I think that maybe the best thing related to it would be to agree meeting up outside at a certain time after done shopping inside Comiket.

toneroni

Hey guys, my Europe leg of the trip is ending tomorrow and I fly into Japan in another day. Thinking of going straight to our Ryokan in Hakone and have a few questions.

Whats the best way to get to Hakone from the airport?
Should I get the Hakone free pass?
Everyone has 1 large luggage, worth it to lug them around Hakone or should we leave them at our shinjuku hotel.

Thanks a ton! Feel so unprepared since we focused on the italy portion of the trip lately.

Whats the best way to get to Hakone from the airport?

Which airport? :p

Edit: Oh, you've posted before...

From Narita use the discounted NEX Tokyo Direct Ticket to Shinjuku:
https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/nex_oneway.html

You should probably get that Hakone Free Pass. That should get you from Shinjuku station to Hakone and explore the area. You're not going to get any JR Passes, correct? How long are you staying in Hakone?

If you can manage without the suitcases for the period of time you're gonna be in Hakone and the hotel you've booked in Shinjuku allows you to store the suitcases, then do that.

toneroni

Thanks Mike!
Only in Hakone for 1 night - rest of the time staying in Tokyo.
Yes, not going to get JR passes.
Another option I saw was transferring our luggage from Hakone to Shinjuku.

Torraz

Things like Comiket isn't really that good for a meet-up.. people have different tastes, and prefer to just go to get their stuff/stand in hours long industry lines for different things. I think that maybe the best thing related to it would be to agree meeting up outside at a certain time after done shopping inside Comiket.

Hmm, thanks for the advice. Id be going mostly for the experience and the cosplay. And of course meeting people is always a great experience.

I read the OP, did most of you guys do your currency exchange at the airport for the best rate? Just wondering what people did.

It seems I could just use my ATM at the PO and get yen that way?

You did it at a bank?

Also, forgot to mention, I am converting USD.

I did it at the bank at the airport I was traveling from since they gave me a better exchange rate than Narita. Just check the rates at the local banks/post offices/money exchange places near you and see what's better.

Zoe

The airport will have the shittiest rates. Either use an ATM (7-11) or go to a real cash exchange place with traveler's checks.

Melchior

I'm planning on going to Japan near the end of the year next year and I was wondering how much money I should be putting aside for hotels and food for a 14 day trip.

I'm expecting to have set aside 5 thousand but I don't feel like it's enough. Any advice?

I'm planning on going to Japan near the end of the year next year and I was wondering how much money I should be putting aside for hotels and food for a 14 day trip.

I'm expecting to have set aside 5 thousand but I don't feel like it's enough. Any advice?

5000 USD? That's more than I've used for a 2 week trip to Japan including airfare and all other transportation + buying souvenirs...

I spent way less than 5k and I was there for a month.

Zyzyxxz

I really didn't mean for it to sound like that. I've never traveled out of the country and I figured it was expensive to visit. Sorry!

the currency exchange is really good right now. 5K for food and and room is really good. Set it aside but don't expect to spend it all unless you go to a maid cafe everyday.

Melchior

the currency exchange is really good right now. 5K for food and and room is really good. Set it aside but don't expect to spend it all unless you go to a maid cafe everyday.

I'm honestly not planning anything luxurious. I just wanted to stay at a decent hotel and visit some shrines, hike mt. fuji, and buy some eva/goosehouse merch. Not very ambitious but I do like playing things off the cuff. Whenever I visit another state I just go around I find stuff to do rather than planning it.

Ayumi

It's not like you *have* to use it all this trip. My advice would be to save as much as you can, because once you go to Japan, you will leave your heart here.

Trust me, you will be back. The same week you go home, you'll be planning a new trip!

But of course it's important to feel comfortable when you visit the first time, so a decent hotel might be good. Japan isn't considered an expensive country. The good thing is that it's easy to choose if you want expensiveness or reasonable prices. It all depends on where you live, what you eat and what you wanna do.

Torraz

Trust me, you will be back. The same week you go home, you'll be planning a new trip!

But of course it's important to feel comfortable when you visit the first time, so a decent hotel might be good. Japan isn't considered an expensive country. The good thing is that it's easy to choose if you want expensiveness or reasonable prices. It all depends on where you live, what you eat and what you wanna do.

The above is 100% true. Been there five times now, and every single time had been better than the last.

I'm honestly not planning anything luxurious. I just wanted to stay at a decent hotel and visit some shrines, hike mt. fuji, and buy some eva/goosehouse merch. Not very ambitious but I do like playing things off the cuff. Whenever I visit another state I just go around I find stuff to do rather than planning it.

If you're thinking about climbing Mt. Fuji at the end of the year, then that's not gonna work.

Melchior

If you're thinking about climbing Mt. Fuji at the end of the year, then that's not gonna work.

I meant visit Japan by the end of the year. I don't plan on climbing that thing with snow all over it. It's usually clear in early august right?

It's not like you *have* to use it all this trip. My advice would be to save as much as you can, because once you go to Japan, you will leave your heart here.

Oh yea for sure. I have been saving up for a few months now and I was expecting to have 5k usd by the time I went on the trip. It's not like I have 5k to just drop whenever I wanted. But now that I know I don't need this much I can't be a little less frugal with my money lol. There seems to be a lot in Japan to do and I'm worried that I'll leave with stuff I still wanted to do.

I meant visit Japan by the end of the year. I don't plan on climbing that thing with snow all over it. It's usually clear in early august right?

June to August is "climbing season." But you'll want to book a spot in a mountain hut probably as early as April as it fills up fast. I was late on it and the only place that had room left was the one closest to the top.

Melchior

June to August is "climbing season." But you'll want to book a spot in a mountain hut probably as early as April as it fills up fast. I was late on it and the only place that had room left was the one closest to the top.

What if I planned on starting the hike the night prior and just doing it in 1 go? or is it blocked off at night..

What if I planned on starting the hike the night prior and just doing it in 1 go? or is it blocked off at night..

That would probably depend on two things 1) the bus schedule, and 2) your level of fitness.

Getting to Mt Fuji is two trains (if you leave from Shinjuku station) and a bus to the 5th station and overall takes like two hours if I remember correctly. So you'd have to plan that out if you can get there and back. Then you'd just have to be fit enough to do it all in one go. Its like seven-eight hours up and like two to three down (going down took me a lot longer because I didn't bring enough water and constantly had to stop to rest).

Melchior

That would probably depend on two things 1) the bus schedule, and 2) your level of fitness.

Getting to Mt Fuji is two trains (if you leave from Shinjuku station) and a bus to the 5th station and overall takes like two hours if I remember correctly. So you'd have to plan that out if you can get there and back. Then you'd just have to be fit enough to do it all in one go. Its like seven-eight hours up and like two to three down (going down took me a lot longer because I didn't bring enough water and constantly had to stop to rest).

I see thanks for the info. I'll come back to the thread when I get closer to going on my trip. Thanks for the advice guys!

Just paid off the first of my hotels for my big trip to Japan next year ^_^ hoping to have the rest paid off in a fortnight. October 4th 2015 when I fly out can not come soon enough :D

Speaking of Money and all in Japan, would just around $2000 be enough for spending money for just under 2 week, I'm looking at spending a week in Tokyo, a day in both Nagoya and Kyoto and 3 days in Osaka. Hoping to have enough to hit up a few things I want to do there such as going to Disney World, Ghibli Museam, 2 Zoos, catch some NJPW and a few big things in Osaka as well as abit of money for game shopping.

Also whats a good hotel to stay at in Osaka, looking for something that's easy to get to Universal Studios, the Aquarium and to the Airport.

Magnus

Day 4 here. So amazing.

Staying in the Shinjuku Granbell Hotel. Great and clean.

Did the Calico cat cafe and Kagaya Frog Restaurant yesterday, Akihabara the day before, and Jigokudani Monkey Park in Nagano today. A return to Akihabara next week plus the Robot Restaurant are on the books. But we have at least 3 other days to play with on this trip. More suggestions please!!! :)

Torraz

What's the best place (in Tokyo) to be at for new years? Also with an eye on getting nach to the ueno Region regarding transportation (either public or short / cheap taxi).

Also what's a nice table to be at on the following morning? The meiji temple?

Fish market/Pokemon Center/Odaiba day.

Ghibli Museum/Nakano Broadway day. If you're there when it's open at least: http://www.ghibli-museum.jp/en/007569.html

Great suggestions.

----

Feeling kinda weird here, very trandquil and satisfied, due to knocking out many of my Goals this trip already.

The problem is that I still have 3 entire days to go, and little plans, with the exception of the above mentioned new years activities (the evening before, and morning / day after). Would be grateful for any suggestions.

But besides that I am quite unsure of what other sights to see. Any nice neighborhoods to stroll through, or any sights off the beaten track? Any other ideas?

Thanks

Ayumi

^ You can search this thread for "New Years" for many results.. lots of people asking, at least once a week or so. heh

Hey everyone. I've been meaning to post in this thread for a while, and have kept it in my bookmarks until I was ready to seek some advice. I was so focused on finishing my semester in school, that I did not want my excitement for going to Japan to cloud my mind too much. Now that I have a few weeks off, I do want to plan a few things more though, and hoping some of you here may be able to fill in the gaps of what I should know, and consider.

Just to say a little about myself real quick, I have mostly been an avid gamer who has just had an appreciate for all things Japan since I was in high school. I was so bummed when they cut Japanese in my school, especially when one of my friends had got a trip to there through his class. Ever since I have tried to save, but I never had the willpower to properly save for the trip. At 31 years old though, it looks like that dream will finally become a reality. With some helpful advice from a friend of my mother's who has visit Japan often, I have learned some useful information from him that helped me consider ways to save money when planning what could be such an expensive trip. I kept planning it like I was taking a family, but I am just going to be a lone traveler, and even though this is my first time taking such a trip, this friend told me often that Japan is one of the safest countries and he wouldn't hesitate to go alone. These words of advice from really help me finally get a plan in motion, and it's taken almost a year just to get this far.

My plan for several months now has been to finally take my dream trip of going to Japan after I graduate in the spring. I am thinking in June is when I will make my trip to Japan, but I still have not come up with exact dates. I think my ideal trip will be to visit Tokyo, and Kyoto. I want to see some of the geek culture in Tokyo obviously, but I'd love to see some of the traditional and beautiful sights of Kyoto.

First thing I want to mention is that this friend I mentioned brought to my attention something I had never considered before, but staying at hostels and inns sounds like the best way to go to make this affordable for me. He specifically recommended these two to me, and they look and sound nice from what I've read... was wondering if anyone had any personal experience?
Inn in Tokyo: http://www.kimiryokan.jp/
Hostel in Kyoto: http://www.kyotojp.com/

One of the first roadblocks I keep coming up to is how long should I stay? and how long in each city? I feel like I need to figure out already when and how long I'd be staying so I can book these locations for my trip, but I just don't have any idea. I've never planned or done a trip like this before, and while I've tried to learn Japanese over the years, I'm sure I'm not completely prepared for how the language barrier might affect and slow my ability to travel from place to place. I'm not asking anyone here to pick dates for me, but perhaps offer your advice?

Coming up with an itinerary for this trip is something I feel unqualified for, because I've never been there. I don't know what I should try to see, and what would be practical to fit in on any given day. That's part of why knowing how long to stay is so difficult. I'd like to be able to just enjoy my time there, and relax, but I don't want to waste money and time too. I feel like I really could just simply use some advice on what I should fit into an itinerary, and how long would be smart. My budget for this trip is going to be at least $2500, but the airfare and sleeping accommodations are both a part of that sadly. Perhaps it'll jump up if some family members feel generous at my graduation party, but I'm not sure.

One thing that my mother's friend kept suggesting to me to save money was to buy my own food, and make stuff like sandwiches, etc... While I appreciate and understand how that would help greatly, I feel like going to places to eat and trying the food is part of the reason I'd like to go there. Although, how difficult is it to read the menus I wonder? lol

One thing that may not be entirely exclusive to visiting Japan is I am wondering what kind of travel gear I should bring with me. I have never taken a trip anywhere before on my own, and the last one I went on when I was 17 was with my whole family where everything was beyond my control. I hated that, and I love this idea of finally going somewhere where I'll have the control of where I want to go. I think that place Kyoto might have laundry machines, so maybe I shouldn't bring too many clothes, but still don't know how much. I am also not sure if I should confine or free I should make myself to technology too much. I feel comfortable with a computer around, but I know they can be a distraction. I don't own a laptop or tablet, so should that be something I should consider getting...or would my cell phone be enough? I did get a 720p digital video camera and case from my brother for Christmas, so that was real awesome of him. And a Duffel bag from my Mother :) They all know I'm excited for the trip, but couldn't afford much else.

Ugh, this post has gone on for so long already. I can add more later, this is a good start for now where I'm at, haha. I hope it's not too long for some of you, and I appreciate any help that I receive.

stryke

I'll try to answer some of the things as someone who just went on a 1 week trip to Japan a month ago for the first time.

Firstly, since it was a family trip, I wasn't in charge of accommodation or finances and the only expenses I was concerned about were food and souvenirs so I'm not going to say much here. Like definitely go eat a lot of the local cuisine and it's not particularly expensive either (I thought it was pretty easy to find meals at 1000yen or less) but don't feel as though you have to eat a hearty Japanese meal for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I had the occasional Maccas and instant ramen and that was fine.

I spent 5 nights in Tokyo and that was definitely not enough to see everything I wanted to. I think 7 nights would be a decent amount to spend in Tokyo but that could probably be stretched to 2 weeks easily if one had the luxury to do so. I wish I could say more about Kyoto because I did spend 2 nights there but I wouldn't recommend what I did during the day I spent there which was hiring a bike and touring the city. It was a great experience which I would do again lol but very inefficient to maximise the amount of places you want to visit. I assume another 7 days there would be good as well.

Don't be worried about language at all. More often than not, in my experience the locals know just about enough English to communicate or have a very good guess as to what you're saying. With menus, sometimes they have an English menu or I just point to the picture and ending up with something unexpected is half the fun :)

I myself brought my laptop but the only time I used it was for entertainment on my flight/shinkansen, at my hotel and a last minute tour purchase online. I'd say it's pretty unnecessary and a phone should be adequate. Perhaps buy a portable charger unit? I needed one because I was using my note 2 extensively for GPS and data and it wouldn't last the day while I was about.

Zyzyxxz

One thing that my mother's friend kept suggesting to me to save money was to buy my own food, and make stuff like sandwiches, etc... While I appreciate and understand how that would help greatly, I feel like going to places to eat and trying the food is part of the reason I'd like to go there. Although, how difficult is it to read the menus I wonder? lol

Honestly I dont think you will save that much money if you make your own food. Heck convenience store food is actually really good in Japan. I could find myself enjoying a $1.50 piece of fried chicken from Lawson's as much as I enjoyed my $200 meal at a 2 michelin starred restaurant.

Good food for the cheap can be easily had in Tokyo if you know what to look for. There are plenty of beef bowl places that will satiate you moderately for $5, if you get hungry again just snack. Ramen shops almost always stay under 1000YEN. But when I travel its mostly for food so I never skimp on food because that's my motivation for traveling but the value you place on cultural knowledge of food is probably not as high as mine, despite that experience local delicacies is one of the best ways to immerse yourself in their culture. Many places have picture menus and even if there is no English just point to the menu and nod your head, sometimes I had no idea what I ordered but that's half the fun.

My plan for several months now has been to finally take my dream trip of going to Japan after I graduate in the spring. I am thinking in June is when I will make my trip to Japan, but I still have not come up with exact dates. I think my ideal trip will be to visit Tokyo, and Kyoto. I want to see some of the geek culture in Tokyo obviously, but I'd love to see some of the traditional and beautiful sights of Kyoto.

Coming up with an itinerary for this trip is something I feel unqualified for, because I've never been there. I don't know what I should try to see, and what would be practical to fit in on any given day. That's part of why knowing how long to stay is so difficult. I'd like to be able to just enjoy my time there, and relax, but I don't want to waste money and time too. I feel like I really could just simply use some advice on what I should fit into an itinerary, and how long would be smart. My budget for this trip is going to be at least $2500, but the airfare and sleeping accommodations are both a part of that sadly. Perhaps it'll jump up if some family members feel generous at my graduation party, but I'm not sure.

Hm... Where in the world are you from? $2500 with airfare might not be enough for both Tokyo and Kyoto if the airfare from wherever you are is like $1200 or something. June isn't the best month to travel either with the rainy season and all.

I'll try to answer some of the things as someone who just went on a 1 week trip to Japan a month ago for the first time.

Firstly, since it was a family trip, I wasn't in charge of accommodation or finances and the only expenses I was concerned about were food and souvenirs so I'm not going to say much here. Like definitely go eat a lot of the local cuisine and it's not particularly expensive either (I thought it was pretty easy to find meals at 1000yen or less) but don't feel as though you have to eat a hearty Japanese meal for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I had the occasional Maccas and instant ramen and that was fine.

I spent 5 nights in Tokyo and that was definitely not enough to see everything I wanted to. I think 7 nights would be a decent amount to spend in Tokyo but that could probably be stretched to 2 weeks easily if one had the luxury to do so. I wish I could say more about Kyoto because I did spend 2 nights there but I wouldn't recommend what I did during the day I spent there which was hiring a bike and touring the city. It was a great experience which I would do again lol but very inefficient to maximise the amount of places you want to visit. I assume another 7 days there would be good as well.

Don't be worried about language at all. More often than not, in my experience the locals know just about enough English to communicate or have a very good guess as to what you're saying. With menus, sometimes they have an English menu or I just point to the picture and ending up with something unexpected is half the fun :)

I myself brought my laptop but the only time I used it was for entertainment on my flight/shinkansen, at my hotel and a last minute tour purchase online. I'd say it's pretty unnecessary and a phone should be adequate. Perhaps buy a portable charger unit? I needed one because I was using my note 2 extensively for GPS and data and it wouldn't last the day while I was about.

Even though you couldn't provide all the info I'd need, it was still very helpful. It kinda gives me a better idea of how long I should be aiming for, and it helped me look up some other itineraries online that can help me mold my timeline.

Honestly I dont think you will save that much money if you make your own food. Heck convenience store food is actually really good in Japan. I could find myself enjoying a $1.50 piece of fried chicken from Lawson's as much as I enjoyed my $200 meal at a 2 michelin starred restaurant.

Good food for the cheap can be easily had in Tokyo if you know what to look for. There are plenty of beef bowl places that will satiate you moderately for $5, if you get hungry again just snack. Ramen shops almost always stay under 1000YEN. But when I travel its mostly for food so I never skimp on food because that's my motivation for traveling but the value you place on cultural knowledge of food is probably not as high as mine, despite that experience local delicacies is one of the best ways to immerse yourself in their culture. Many places have picture menus and even if there is no English just point to the menu and nod your head, sometimes I had no idea what I ordered but that's half the fun.

Yeah I kinda figured this would be the case, I didn't like his one suggestion on this, but he's the kind of guy who always seems to make these huge trips on small budgets. He usually travels to take pictures because he's a photographer, traveling for the local cuisine seems to be not be his priority.

When you put it like that though, and how cheap something like a beef bowl could be...hell yeah that sounds great to me. That's the kind of experience for me. I'm from the midwest, and while there are some japanese restaurants here, I never feel like I can get anything close to authentic.

Hm... Where in the world are you from? $2500 with airfare might not be enough for both Tokyo and Kyoto if the airfare from wherever you are is like $1200 or something. June isn't the best month to travel either with the rainy season and all.

Well I wouldn't have thought it possible before too, and while I admit it might be tight, I still think it's doable. From my research, if I buy my airline tickets not too far in advance, the prices will be more reasonable, somewhere between $1100 and 1300 which is reasonable to me. The 2 places to stay at in Kyoto and Tokyo have really decent rates per night. The place in tokyo is 4500 yen plus tax, and with current exchange rates could be about $40-45 a night... assuming I stay a week at most, that's only a little over $300. The place in kyoto I might want to get a private room which will cost about 5900 yen, or approximently $50 a night... I'm thinking 5-6 nights there, and that too is only about $300. With my $2500 budget, for airfare and bed...I'm already up to $1800, and yeah, that doesn't count my my rail pass...but I'm hoping I'll get some help from family on that.

I'm still thinking I'll have about $800-$1000 left for food and sightseeing if I play my cards right. Being just one person, I doubt i'll spend more than $300 on food, maybe $400 if I wanna get fancy.

Top Bottom