• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Jachaos

Bleh. I'd fix it, but I'm on my phone at work. My full photo gallery is in the OP so you could probably see the original from there.

It was more than big enough when I saw it but cool that the album's in the OP!

Edit: Wow, your album's amazing. Some of those pictures from on the way up are really great.

Darksol

Wow, so many gorgeous shots in your album. What kind of camera were you using? Was it something nice? I've debated getting a fancier camera for my trip in the summer, but I don't know if I should spend the extra money, especially since my budget will be kinda tight.

Canon Powershot G10. It's old (came out like 7 years ago). Nothing fancy but it has a nice lens, and you can shoot in RAW/manual mode. I'm an idiot though so I pretty much just used it as a point and shoot.

It works well though. Kyoto does most of the work for you though - no matter where you turn, it looks like a postcard. You don't even have to try.

I noticed Ayumi Hamasaki was playing on the dates I was thinking of going. Is there anyway to buy tickets from an english site or am I forced to use resellers/try my luck when I arrive?

Zoe

I noticed Ayumi Hamasaki was playing on the dates I was thinking of going. Is there anyway to buy tickets from an english site or am I forced to use resellers/try my luck when I arrive?

If you want a guaranteed ticket, I think it's worth the peace of mind to get someone to bid on a ticket on Yahoo Auctions or one of the other online sites.

Oooh, when is she going to be playing? I would love to see her when visiting myself.

April 11-12, Saitama Super Arena
April 18-19, Sun Dome Fukui
April 25-26, Osaka-jo Hall
May 2-3, Marin Messe Fukuoka
May 9-10, Sekisuiheim Super Arena(Miyagi)
May 16-17, Nihon Gaishi Hall(Nagoya)
May 23-24, Kobe World Memorial Hall
May 30-31, Shizuoka Ecopa
June 6-7, Yoyogi 1st Gymnasium

I know I come here and just ask questions, and I'm really sorry for that :( I'm still just planning my trip in between other things, and I'm still trying to work out the budgeting aspects of my trip.

Most of my posts have been kinda long with multiple questions, so I'm gonna just ask one here for now... Assuming my trip will be slightly less than 2 weeks, and I'll be spending about 6 days each in Tokyo and Kyoto....how much money would some of you recommend I budget for food? I don't really know the cost of a meal in Japan, but considering I'm a lone traveler, I imagine it won't be too insane, and hell there will probably be at least a day I'll wanna try a Japanese McDonalds or something, but part of my trip is wanting to try local foods, so going out is something I'd like to do, although I realize I should try to plan to get some simple sandwich food to save a little money too.

Anyway, to make a long question slightly shorter...how much would some of you recommend I budget for my food expenses?

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I know I come here and just ask questions, and I'm really sorry for that :( I'm still just planning my trip in between other things, and I'm still trying to work out the budgeting aspects of my trip.

Most of my posts have been kinda long with multiple questions, so I'm gonna just ask one here for now... Assuming my trip will be slightly less than 2 weeks, and I'll be spending about 6 days each in Tokyo and Kyoto....how much money would some of you recommend I budget for food? I don't really know the cost of a meal in Japan, but considering I'm a lone traveler, I imagine it won't be too insane, and hell there will probably be at least a day I'll wanna try a Japanese McDonalds or something, but part of my trip is wanting to try local foods, so going out is something I'd like to do, although I realize I should try to plan to get some simple sandwich food to save a little money too.

Anyway, to make a long question slightly shorter...how much would some of you recommend I budget for my food expenses?

You can find ¥500 meals. Usually Soba, Udon and such are cheap.

Just getting around ¥2000/day for lunch/dinner dinner should be ok.

You can find ¥500 meals. Usually Soba, Udon and such are cheap.

Just getting around ¥2000/day for lunch/dinner dinner should be ok.

I've never had Soba, or Udon, so I might have to try both XD. I know I really wanna try a beef bowl...but I'd like to give some stuff that I never would see in a restaurant here either...I'd even give octopus a try ^_^ I have had sushi...but I wasn't a fan sadly

Edit: By the way, just an additional question, but maybe if anyone has anyplaces to recommend eating at in Kyoto and/or Tokyo, by all means, please let me know ^_^

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I've never had Soba, or Udon, so I might have to try both XD. I know I really wanna try a beef bowl...but I'd like to give some stuff that I never would see in a restaurant here either...I'd even give octopus a try ^_^ I have had sushi...but I wasn't a fan sadly

Edit: By the way, just an additional question, but maybe if anyone has anyplaces to recommend eating at in Kyoto and/or Tokyo, by all means, please let me know ^_^

In Tokyo i can't stop recommending this restaurant. http://www.yelp.com/biz/原宿餃子楼-渋谷区

Is one of my favourites and is cheap.

So question guys, rough estimate, how much money do you think will be needed for 12 days in Japan, I'm budgeting on 3 Grand (Aus) but I've had people tell me that's not going to be enough. I've already paid off the hotels so it's only spending money I need to worry about. I think I should be fine but just wanted to double check.

So question guys, rough estimate, how much money do you think will be needed for 12 days in Japan, I'm budgeting on 3 Grand (Aus) but I've had people tell me that's not going to be enough. I've already paid off the hotels so it's only spending money I need to worry about. I think I should be fine but just wanted to double check.

I did a 25 day trip in September 2013 on $4500 Canadian (which right now is about the same as the AUS dollar) and that included everything but my flight. I think $3000 is perfectly doable for a 12 day trip.

3 grand without the hotel or airplane cost? That's more than enough...

3 grand without the hotel or airplane cost? That's more than enough...
Including whatever damage retro game hunting does to me ;) Thats the reason I've said 3 grand, 2 grand for the 2 weeks and the rest is for game hunting.

Don't forget its Aus dollar so not as strong as the US at the moment.

Including whatever damage retro game hunting does to me ;) Thats the reason I've said 3 grand, 2 grand for the 2 weeks and the rest is for game hunting.

Don't forget its Aus dollar so not as strong as the US at the moment.

Yeah, I saw that it was AUD.

Unless you're planning to eat 100+ AUD meals every day or go on expensive guided sightseeing trips then it's plenty.

ethanny2

Hey guys just recently got came to Japan, hirakata to be exact on a study abroad program. I read the OT and saw the links posted for the Japanese Sim cards/WiFi, but it seems like they are all cover too short a time period (14 days to 1 month) whereas I am staying in Japan for the next four months. I am also not looking to enter into a contract which I have to pay the termination fee for . I am looking for a Sim card that only gives data and can be used for an extended period of time without having a contract. Any suggestions?

Hey guys just recently got came to Japan, hirakata to be exact on a study abroad program. I read the OT and saw the links posted for the Japanese Sim cards/WiFi, but it seems like they are all cover too short a time period (14 days to 1 month) whereas I am staying in Japan for the next four months. I am also not looking to enter into a contract which I have to pay the termination fee for . I am looking for a Sim card that only gives data and can be used for an extended period of time without having a contract. Any suggestions?

http://rental.cdjapan.co.jp/index_en_jpy_10.html

Ayumi

Thanks, I'm packing my clothes right now. Gonna be my first winter trip.
Beware, it's the time where it might snow for a day, you never know. It's cold here and rains randomly. So warm clothes and good shoes should be decent for snow/rain.

Raguel

We booked our tickets and the jr pass! Be in japan March 29th to april 12th!! We originally wanted to do tokyo and kyoto but now have to move it to tokyo and osaka since kyoto is all booked up for april 5 to 10th. Crazy sakura season! Is osaka a good hub like kyoto? By hub, i mean, is it a good city to use to visit nara, hiroshima, himeji castle, etc? I tried every possible means to find a hotel or even a hostel in kyoto for april 5th to 10th and they're all booked unless i am willing to pay over 200 bucks a night. Which is way too much for my budget. Any ideas guys??

Is osaka a good hub like kyoto? By hub, i mean, is it a good city to use to visit nara, hiroshima, himeji castle, etc? I tried every possible means to find a hotel or even a hostel in kyoto for april 5th to 10th and they're all booked unless i am willing to pay over 200 bucks a night. Which is way too much for my budget. Any ideas guys??

Yes. If you got a JR pass and plan on visiting Hiroshima and Himeji, then it might actually be a better hub than Kyoto, the train from Osaka to Nara takes about the same amount of time as from Kyoto to Nara, and it's only like 25-35 minutes by train from Osaka to Kyoto so no worries.

Raguel

Yes. If you got a JR pass and plan on visiting Hiroshima and Himeji, then it might actually be a better hub than Kyoto, the train from Osaka to Nara takes about the same amount of time as from Kyoto to Nara, and it's only like 25-35 minutes by train from Osaka to Kyoto so no worries.

Awesome. Thank you Mike. Can't wait. All of you guys' help has been greatly apprecaited.

Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of applying for a study abroad trip to Kansai Gaidai University in Hirakata, Japan. I'm about to start on my personal statement and I was wondering if anybody had any tips that would help me write it.

Thank you for any help.

Hey Mike and guys, whats a good site to book hotels in osaka? is jalan.net legit? any recommended sites?

I use Hostelworld, AirBnB, TripAdvisor and Trivago for my travels. Oh, and I booked a hotel once by checking Google Maps for hotels in the area I wanted to stay once too.

hwalker84

We booked our tickets and the jr pass! Be in japan March 29th to april 12th!! We originally wanted to do tokyo and kyoto but now have to move it to tokyo and osaka since kyoto is all booked up for april 5 to 10th. Crazy sakura season! Is osaka a good hub like kyoto? By hub, i mean, is it a good city to use to visit nara, hiroshima, himeji castle, etc? I tried every possible means to find a hotel or even a hostel in kyoto for april 5th to 10th and they're all booked unless i am willing to pay over 200 bucks a night. Which is way too much for my budget. Any ideas guys??

See you there!

Top Bottom