• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Out of interest, whats the best way to get out of Haneda airport? My flight gets in at 22:30 and I'm not sure how long it'll take to get through. I'm almost tempted to catch a taxi to my hotel as I'm worried about taking trains at that time of the night just incase I get lost.

Out of interest, whats the best way to get out of Haneda airport? My flight gets in at 22:30 and I'm not sure how long it'll take to get through. I'm almost tempted to catch a taxi to my hotel as I'm worried about taking trains at that time of the night just incase I get lost.

Where is your hotel? Limousine bus is usually the best option. The only problem with Haneda is that train access isn't great.

Ayumi

Where is your hotel? Limousine bus is usually the best option. The only problem with Haneda is that train access isn't great.
..What?

Just take the Keikyu to Shinagawa Station and you end up right on JR Yamanote Sen. Pretty good if you ask me. Takes like 10 minutes to Shinagawa.

Ayumi

Sakura Hotel in Ikebukuro
http://www.sakura-hotel.co.jp/ikebukuro

Its only a 6 min walk from the train station but I'm worried about doing it near midnight with a suitcase, tired after a near 15 hour flight and not having any idea the layout of the place.
Should be fine. It's pretty much a straight walk from the C6 exit. You can take a cab if you want though. It's very short so should be about 730 Yen. Just stop the cab once you see one and give them the address (English is fine).

Should be fine. It's pretty much a straight walk from the C6 exit. You can take a cab if you want though. It's very short so should be about 730 Yen. Just stop the cab once you see one and give them the address (English is fine).

A cab from Ikebukuro station that is.

If you take a cab from Haneda it will be much much more expensive than that.

Ayumi

A cab from Ikebukuro station that is.

If you take a cab from Haneda it will be much much more expensive than that.

He was talking about Ikebukuro so I assumed he'd understand I was too. :v

No one in their right mind would take a cab from any airport in any country..

Well....

I'm almost tempted to catch a taxi to my hotel as I'm worried about taking trains at that time of the night just incase I get lost.

Oh, and make sure you get out of Haneda ASAP (don't wait in line to get a JR Pass if there's a line and such), because the last train leaves at 00:01 with Keikyu and 00:10 with the monorail.

He was talking about Ikebukuro so I assumed he'd understand I was too. :v

Getting from the Saigon Airport to my hotel was not so expensive. Just as a counter-point. Their public transportation suuuuucks.

One of the reasons I want to take a taxi from the Airport as I think it would be a good way to just see more of the city on the way to the hotel. I know it'll be like 100 bucks but I just want to see as much of the place as possible. When I went to Singapore and Bali last year was good to just be able to see lots of the place.

That said, I should be fine getting out of Haenda airport in under an hour right? Also Google Maps mentions something about a Airport Bus Haneda Airport Line, not sure what the deal with that is.

Ayumi

One of the reasons I want to take a taxi from the Airport as I think it would be a good way to just see more of the city on the way to the hotel. I know it'll be like 100 bucks but I just want to see as much of the place as possible. When I went to Singapore and Bali last year was good to just be able to see lots of the place.

That said, I should be fine getting out of Haenda airport in under an hour right? Also Google Maps mentions something about a Airport Bus Haneda Airport Line, not sure what the deal with that is.
You won't be able to see much since it's dark anyway.. It seems like a silly thing to do, imo.

It's probably gonna be more than 100 bucks.. I once took a cab from Haneda to Yoyogi (which is 5ish min from Shinjuku) and it was like 8000. Because I was riding with the CEO and he didn't wanna take the train so I got a free ride, lol. Anyway, that route is much shorter than yours so it's hard to guess your estimate, maybe somewhere between 150 and 200.

Come on, it's less than an hour for you on the train. You can explore in the day time! There isn't much to see of life most of the way to your hotel anyway, in the dark.

Yes, the bus is the way to go. There is a huge dedicated kiosk area in the airport to buy a ticket, then you just line up at the curb and attendants will load your luggage into the bus and off the bus when you get to your destination. It's a little more expensive than taking the train but way cheaper than a taxi. It really is the best way to get in and out of the airport if you have a lot of luggage and the bus stop is close to your hotel. You have your entire trip to take the trains, you don't need to worry about it from the airport.

Edit: Here's the route http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/bus_services/haneda/ikebukuro.html
1200 yen. So way way cheaper than a taxi. Only four hotel stops, but if one of those is your hotel or near your hotel you're golden.

Also when you're in Ikebukuro you should go to Namja Town.

You won't be able to see much since it's dark anyway.. It seems like a silly thing to do, imo.

It's probably gonna be more than 100 bucks.. I once took a cab from Haneda to Yoyogi (which is 5ish min from Shinjuku) and it was like 8000. Because I was riding with the CEO and he didn't wanna take the train so I got a free ride, lol. Anyway, that route is much shorter than yours so it's hard to guess your estimate, maybe somewhere between 150 and 200.

Come on, it's less than an hour for you on the train. You can explore in the day time! There isn't much to see of life most of the way to your hotel anyway, in the dark.
I'm just worried about getting lost at night and being stuck and not know what to do :/
Yes, the bus is the way to go. There is a huge dedicated kiosk area in the airport to buy a ticket, then you just line up at the curb and attendants will load your luggage into the bus and off the bus when you get to your destination. It's a little more expensive than taking the train but way cheaper than a taxi. It really is the best way to get in and out of the airport if you have a lot of luggage and the bus stop is close to your hotel. You have your entire trip to take the trains, you don't need to worry about it from the airport.

Edit: Here's the route http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/bus_services/haneda/ikebukuro.html
1200 yen. So way way cheaper than a taxi. Only four hotel stops, but if one of those is your hotel or near your hotel you're golden.

Also when you're in Ikebukuro you should go to Namja Town.
I'm fairly certain it stops near my hotel (at least according to google maps it does) so this is what I'm leaning to.

Ayumi

If he's that afraid of getting lost, I really would not recommend him taking the bus.

Honestly, I think his best/most rational option would just stick with the train. It's only one transit and finding the way is super easy, as long as he writes down the place his transit is at, the train lines and his end station.

All he have to do is write down 2 station names, 2 train line names and his hotel address.

Better to get lost inside the station than some random bus stop in the dark (that being said, Tokyo is super safe anyway) if he happens to get confused/go off at the wrong place.

If he's that afraid of getting lost, I really would not recommend him taking the bus.

Honestly, I think his best/most rational option would just stick with the train. It's only one transit and finding the way is super easy, as long as he writes down the place his transit is at, the train lines and his end station.

All he have to do is write down 2 station names, 2 train line names and his hotel address.

Better to get lost inside the station than some random bus stop in the dark (that being said, Tokyo is super safe anyway) if he happens to get confused/go off at the wrong place.

Look into it. This isn't a normal city bus. Like I said, there is a huge counter at the airport with people to talk to when you get a ticket, attendants help you on at the boarding point directly outside the ticket counter at the airport, announcements in English on the bus, there are only four stops and the one he's getting off at is Ikebukuro Station, so he ends up at the exact same place, but with no transfers to worry about. It's even listed on the website of the hotel he's staying at. Try it yourself the next time you're going to Haneda or Narita.

Ayumi

Look into it. This isn't a normal city bus. Like I said, there is a huge counter at the airport with people to talk to when you get a ticket, attendants help you on at the boarding point directly outside the ticket counter at the airport, announcements in English on the bus, there are only four stops and the one he's getting off at is Ikebukuro Station, so he ends up at the exact same place, but with no transfers to worry about. It's even listed on the website of the hotel he's staying at. Try it yourself the next time you're going to Haneda or Narita.

Sounds fair. I always take the train when flying out of Haneda/going on vacation so I honestly have no experience with that particular bus. But I don't like the normal bus in Japan, haha.

Whatever works for him. If it has no transfers then I guess that's good.

I'm just worried about getting lost at night and being stuck and not know what to do :/

I'm fairly certain it stops near my hotel (at least according to google maps it does) so this is what I'm leaning to.

If you're still worried about taking the train then you should take that bus and not a taxi.

Make sure to tell the hotel that you're arriving late as well so they hold your reservation.

2015_01_14_12_42_55.jpg

A ton of photos I took in November 2014.

Lots of shots taken in Kyoto, Tokyo, Kawaguchi, and a couple from Osaka.

Feel free to add any to the OP if interested.

Wow, so many gorgeous shots in your album. What kind of camera were you using? Was it something nice? I've debated getting a fancier camera for my trip in the summer, but I don't know if I should spend the extra money, especially since my budget will be kinda tight.

Thanks to a lot of your help, I have done a little bit more research for my trip in June, and I have made a list of potential hostels to stay at. Most seem like you can't book too far in advance, so I'm waiting til about late Feb to mid March to see if I can book.

I believe I've decided on some dates for my trip though. I'm flying out of Chicago on June 9th, with an arrival in Tokyo on June 10th. I would stay in Tokyo until June 14th, and then take the train to Kyoto. Stay in Kyoto until the 20th, then go back to Tokyo and stay there until the 22nd when I will fly back home.

This can still be changed a little of course, but this is a tentative plan I've made so far. One thing I feel I could really use help on though is...since I'm going alone, and because I've never been to Japan, I don't even know where to start when it comes to how to plan my days or to make an itinerary. I don't want it to be too structured necessarily, because I'm sure it'd be nice to just take in the scenery and go wherever, but if there are specific places I want to go, being able to plan that stuff out would be smart. For instance, I'm not sure quite how far or how long it would take to get to Akihabara from where I'm staying. I'm not sure where someplace I should try to see in Kyoto are, I just know I hear it would be a great place for temples, and beautiful scenery.

I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone might have.

Edit: After I posted this, a few other questions started popping up in my mind, so I hope it's okay if I ask them. One question was...any good recommendation for some study guides or books I should maybe look into for words, phrases, and symbols that would be helpful for a traveler? I've tried to learn Japanese over the years, and other than a vague recollection of some words, I haven't much success. It still would be good though to know some things that I might hear often, and want to use as a traveler.

Another question is....Outside of my typical travel expenses, like hostel stay and airfare...how much money would you recommend I make sure I have for a trip of the scope I'm planning? As far as food spending, and maybe souvenir shopping in...with a little extra spending in Akihabara if I find a Famicom twin, lol. Also what type of money should I bring? I feel like I heard somewhere that most places in japan prefer cash, but carrying nothing but money seems like a bad idea, and isn't there some type of traveler check/debit card I could get?

stryke

@Hyrule Warrior

I used this small Tokyo guide book. It's got maps and pages of major areas of Tokyo and things to see or do in there.

I would also suggest to go your local H.I.S. branch. I went to my branch in Sydney to pick up my rail passes and they had a lot of resources (particularly if you're like me and prefer physical maps or pamphlets).

Also what type of money should I bring? I feel like I heard somewhere that most places in japan prefer cash, but carrying nothing but money seems like a bad idea, and isn't there some type of traveler check/debit card I could get?

- Well, check out the information at www.japan-guide.com
- You can check how long it takes to go between places on Google maps.
- I bring cash + a Visa card. Use the Visa card to pay where they accept Visa and withdraw money at ATMs.

@Hyrule Warrior

I used this small Tokyo guide book. It's got maps and pages of major areas of Tokyo and things to see or do in there.

That guide book is really good. Picked up a physical copy at a tourist information location in Tokyo both times I've been.

This Kyoto bus map is useful to look at before going to Kyoto:
http://www.city.kyoto.jp/koho/eng/access/img/busnavi_eng__ura.pdf

If you're still worried about taking the train then you should take that bus and not a taxi.

Make sure to tell the hotel that you're arriving late as well so they hold your reservation.
Yeah I let them know on the reservation form I'm most likely arriving around midnight. And their reception is manned 24 hours so I should be all good once I get there.

And yeah more I look at it, more likely it is that Limousine Bus from the airport is going to be the best way for me to get there.

Now just the waiting game, October can't come soon enough, just need to save up the spending money now and pay for my last 2 hotels for the final 2 stops of my holiday in Singapore and Bali.

OceanBlue

Just got back from Tokyo a few days ago. It was great! I love it. Big cities are amazing.

@Hyrule Warrior

I would also suggest to go your local H.I.S. branch. I went to my branch in Sydney to pick up my rail passes and they had a lot of resources (particularly if you're like me and prefer physical maps or pamphlets).

I used this too and it was really helpful. I went a lot of the time without mobile internet so having a physical map was great, especially since a lot of the maps in Tokyo didn't orient themselves northward lol.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm going to Japan next Saturday. I want to get a SIM card for my phone when I'm there. Can I pick this up in the airport? How expensive is talk/text/data? I'm only going to be in Japan for 4 days.

AllenShrz

I'm going to Japan next Saturday. I want to get a SIM card for my phone when I'm there. Can I pick this up in the airport? How expensive is talk/text/data? I'm only going to be in Japan for 4 days.

I have yet to prove it myself but Ive seen that in some big electronic focused stores that they sell SIM card for tourist, like Bic Camera.

Also some metro stations in Tokyo and some touristic spots do have free WiFi.

Jachaos

So I'm likely going to be traveling to Japan for 3 weeks in May. Just waiting on a friend to confirm he can come and I'll book my ticket (he's waiting to see if he can take work off in May or if there will be blackout days at his job). I'll certainly have plenty of questions before leaving but I was wondering what the whole process is as far as transports go.

I'm constantly on the move when I travel (like when I went to San Francisco last year, I was not there for long but I saw so many things because I was always moving) and will always use Google Maps to check what's the best transit option to get somewhere. In SF that was easy - you just took the CityPass and could get on any train, bus, etc. Where I live, in Montréal, the Carte Opus is pretty straightforward when you're visiting. Get on any bus, subway and that's it.

Checking all the links though, there seems to be tons of transit options for Tokyo. I'm sure Google Maps will suggest many routes and so I'm not sure what's the best thing to get, Suica card seems cool but I was looking for advice still.

I will be getting a JR Pass for a week as I plan to visit Kyoto and Osaka too. Not sure what else I should get though.

You would mostly use the tokyo subway to get everywhere (which the JR pass hardly helps with, except for some aboveground route like the Yamanote line). So you need a rechargeable card, which you can also use in stores, so that's helpful.

then you need to work out if the JR pass is worth it for the shinkansens you actually want to use. Because if you just travel to Kyoto and one or two other places it is often cheaper to just buy the tickets as required. Shinkansen travel can really eat into your time, It is tempting to think oh cool I will abuse this JR pass to go everywhere but in 3 weeks, Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and local trains gives you too much to do and see and that's only two return shinkansen tickets and a whole bunch of subway trips.

Jachaos

You would mostly use the tokyo subway to get everywhere (which the JR pass hardly helps with, except for some aboveground route like the Yamanote line). So you need a rechargeable card, which you can also use in stores, so that's helpful.

then you need to work out if the JR pass is worth it for the shinkansens you actually want to use. Because if you just travel to Kyoto and one or two other places it is often cheaper to just buy the tickets as required. Shinkansen travel can really eat into your time, It is tempting to think oh cool I will abuse this JR pass to go everywhere but in 3 weeks, Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and local trains gives you too much to do and see and that's only two return shinkansen tickets and a whole bunch of subway trips.

Oh I see, I'll look into the JR Pass some more then but I thought it would be worth it Tokyo-Kyoto, Kyoto-Osaka, Osaka-Tokyo and some trains to some attractions (not even sure about this one but I figure some will be out of the way, like 30 minute train ride from Kyoto, or visiting Mt. Fuji for example).

So I'll need a Suica card and I'll have to put some money on it before using it from what I understand. Are there any tourist deals?

if you can arrange the JR trips to be part of your holiday not scattered all through it you can get the cheaper 7 day or 14 day pass vs a 21 day pass ..

Also you can buy a JR Kansai pass for 4 days which is very cheap and covers Kyoto --> Osaka and Nara.. (but not Tokyo to Kyoto).

It seems you can buy pasmo cards outside Japan (validity 10 years). I don't think it is discounted, the subway and bus fares tend to be fixed. Outside Tokyo though be prepared for a city to have its own pass and not accept the prepaid cards. Eg Kyoto has a one day pass for 500 yen.

JR pass is no good for Mt Fuji. btw

Oh I see, I'll look into the JR Pass some more then but I thought it would be worth it Tokyo-Kyoto, Kyoto-Osaka, Osaka-Tokyo and some trains to some attractions (not even sure about this one but I figure some will be out of the way, like 30 minute train ride from Kyoto, or visiting Mt. Fuji for example).

So I'll need a Suica card and I'll have to put some money on it before using it from what I understand. Are there any tourist deals?

If you're going to places like Himeji Castle or Hiroshima and you're only staying in Kyoto/Osaka for 7 days or less, then get a 7 day JR Pass to use in the Kansai area. If you're only staying inside Kyoto/Osaka and just take a day trip to Nara or something, then don't.

Since you're gonna be there for 3 weeks, there's no Suica/Pasmo discount deals you can get currently. The Suica/Pasmo card can also be used in Osaka. In Kyoto it's better to get day passes for buses for 500 JPY each day.

The JR Kansai pass is NOT a good deal. Too expensive and it can hardly be used in Kyoto.

scarlet

in 17 days

Going to Kurama onsen after landing for morning bath and explore Kibune and then take Samurai class. Loving my plan so far.

Jachaos

if you can arrange the JR trips to be part of your holiday not scattered all through it you can get the cheaper 7 day or 14 day pass vs a 21 day pass ..

Also you can buy a JR Kansai pass for 4 days which is very cheap and covers Kyoto --> Osaka and Nara.. (but not Tokyo to Kyoto).

It seems you can buy pasmo cards outside Japan (validity 10 years). I don't think it is discounted, the subway and bus fares tend to be fixed. Outside Tokyo though be prepared for a city to have its own pass and not accept the prepaid cards. Eg Kyoto has a one day pass for 500 yen.

JR pass is no good for Mt Fuji. btw

If you're going to places like Himeji Castle or Hiroshima and you're only staying in Kyoto/Osaka for 7 days or less, then get a 7 day JR Pass to use in the Kansai area. If you're only staying inside Kyoto/Osaka and just take a day trip to Nara or something, then don't.

Since you're gonna be there for 3 weeks, there's no Suica/Pasmo discount deals you can get currently. The Suica/Pasmo card can also be used in Osaka. In Kyoto it's better to get day passes for buses for 500 JPY each day.

The JR Kansai pass is NOT a good deal. Too expensive and it can hardly be used in Kyoto.

Thanks guys!

I was planning on doing all that travel in the same 7 day period yeah, so I was always only looking into a 7-day JR Pass. So far it looks like I'll be getting a 7-day JR Pass, a Suica card and paying the 500 yen a day in Kyoto. And thanks for the info on Mt. Fuji, I might still go but what I really wanted to do was see the rising sun from there and seems you have to hike it at night to do that.

Yep, like I said to the other guy earlier in the thread, the temperature can get below freezing at the top of Mt. Fuji in the middle of the summer, doing it any other time of the year and you have to be a seasoned climber to do it. Fantastic view though. Had I been in slightly better shape I probably wouldn't have been so interested in getting back down and stayed up at the summit to take more photos.

If you wanna see the full-res version click here (even bigger than the quoted image)

hwalker84

Yep, like I said to the other guy earlier in the thread, the temperature can get below freezing at the top of Mt. Fuji in the middle of the summer, doing it any other time of the year and you have to be a seasoned climber to do it. Fantastic view though. Had I been in slightly better shape I probably wouldn't have been so interested in getting back down and stayed up at the summit to take more photos.

If you wanna see the full-res version click here (even bigger than the quoted image)

For some reason that larger version isn't working for me. Tried a few browsers.

Top Bottom