• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Ayumi

The "Premium" chicken at Famima isn't very premium, imo,

Also, pfft, whoever said don't eat chicken in Japan either hates chicken or haven't had amazing karage.

The morning ritual while at the Shinjuku Washington involved stuffing my face with good ol' Sea Chicken mayonnaise onigiri. Delicious!

Jamie OD

Is there a Japanese version of ticket master? I'm looking to buy wrestling tickets in May and worried the event might be sold out.

Is this for the New Japan Pro Wrestling show in Fukuoka by any chance? The majority of shows in the bigger arenas never fully sell out so you should be able to get a ticket on the day of the event. Or you can go visit one of the pro wrestling shops near Tokyo Dome City since a few of them sell tickets too.

However if you mean any of the shows held in Korakuen Hall during Golden Week then it will be more difficult. The majority of those can sell out on the day but again one of the wrestling shops nearby may have some available.

Zyzyxxz

Don't listen to this man. Dont come to Japan to eat something that you can eat anywhere in the world.

I know but I just had to try the convenience store food to see if it was as good as people said it was.

Don't judge me LOL I did eat at michelin starred places while I was in Tokyo as well so that should balance out my sins.

Don't listen to this man. Dont come to Japan to eat something that you can eat anywhere in the world.

I've eaten at McDonald's, KFC, Wendy's and many other fast food places in a bunch of countries. It's super interesting to see the differences.

They have a frigging burger at Burger King right now in Tokyo that has blueberries on it. I almost vomited looking at the poster.

Also, Natto is shit-tier food. Never again.

hitsugi

I know but I just had to try the convenience store food to see if it was as good as people said it was.

Don't judge me LOL I did eat at michelin starred places while I was in Tokyo as well so that should balance out my sins.

There's no shame in hitting up Family Mart.. or every other conbini in Japan besides perhaps Daily Yamazaki.

I had a similar balance between Michelin starred joints and just about anything else I walked by that I was curious about (which included KFC, McDonalds, Mr. Donut, Coco Ichibanya, etc).

Fast food in other countries has always been an interesting experience for me

red13th

I loved Coco Ichibanya, I usually don't care for curry rice (had amakuchi). And Mr Donut had Calpis flavoured donuts, so good.

Well... I've booked a trip for May now, and I'm going during Golden Week because the other person I'm going with couldn't go at any other time. :p

hitsugi

There's tons of great fast food and chains here. Coco is god tier

That's how I felt.. I pretty much walked into Coco whenever the hell I saw one. They're not quite the same back in the states :\ still good, though.

However, Ayumi has me curious about the superior alternatives now for my next trip @.@

Ayumi

Alright, here are some personal recommendations! Keep in mind that some of these are super spicy. And they might differ from the kind of curry you're used to.

ー カレー ボンディ (Curry Bondey)
ー Curry House TIRITIRI
ー Curry Up
ー いずみカリー (Izumi Curry)

Last one might be kind of obscure, but the curry is great! I recommend any of the other ones, but I think that Bondey Curry is one of the best. I like to visit Foursquare and check photos by visitors to see how it actually looks like. You could try searching these names and see which pictures you think look like they have the curry you'd want. :3

I'm sure its been answered in here already but just wondering if someone can give me some advice on the JR Pass.

I'm heading to Japan at the start of October, staying in Tokyo for 8 days, then heading to Nagoya for a day, then to Kyoto for a day and then finally 2 and abit days in Osaka before flying out.

So I know the JR Pass isn't as useful in Tokyo as it is out of it and I'm only spending 5 days out of Tokyo, I do plan on catching the bullet trains from each city.

So given all that, is it going to be worth me getting the JR Pass or would I be fine without it?

I'm sure its been answered in here already but just wondering if someone can give me some advice on the JR Pass.

I'm heading to Japan at the start of October, staying in Tokyo for 8 days, then heading to Nagoya for a day, then to Kyoto for a day and then finally 2 and abit days in Osaka before flying out.

So I know the JR Pass isn't as useful in Tokyo as it is out of it and I'm only spending 5 days out of Tokyo, I do plan on catching the bullet trains from each city.

So given all that, is it going to be worth me getting the JR Pass or would I be fine without it?

If you're flying out of Tokyo, then get the 7 day JR Pass. If you're flying out of Osaka, then don't.

Alright, here are some personal recommendations! Keep in mind that some of these are super spicy. And they might differ from the kind of curry you're used to.

ー Curry House TIRITIRI
ー Curry Up
ー いずみカリー (Izumi Curry)

Not sure what the common opinion of it is, but I've spent many a rainy night in Go Go Curry and love it to bits. That said I believe they exist in a few other countries, so it might not be a new place to eat.

Ayumi

Not sure what the common opinion of it is, but I've spent many a rainy night in Go Go Curry and love it to bits. That said I believe they exist in a few other countries, so it might not be a new place to eat.

I never said Go Go Curry or Coco Curry were bad.. just said that personally, I think there are better places to visit for curry.

Zoe

ー Curry House TIRITIRI
ー Curry Up
ー いずみカリー (Izumi Curry)

Last one might be kind of obscure, but the curry is great! I recommend any of the other ones, but I think that Bondey Curry is one of the best. I like to visit Foursquare and check photos by visitors to see how it actually looks like. You could try searching these names and see which pictures you think look like they have the curry you'd want. :3

Hmmm... the first three look more like Indian curry just from the pictures?

Ayumi

There's great Indian curry in the states, not so much Japanese curry :(
Oh I see. :< Which do you prefer? I like both a lot, it depends on the day. Indian tends to be more spicy than I can handle though.. But I really enjoy it, especially with naan bread and milk.

Zoe

Oh I see. :< Which do you prefer? I like both a lot, it depends on the day. Indian tends to be more spicy than I can handle though.. But I really enjoy it, especially with naan bread and milk.

They hit different spots really, and since it's easier to get Indian curry here, I'm always craving Japanese curry more. We do buy the blocks to make at home, but it's not the same.

Had Indian curry for lunch because of this discussion though :lol

Ayumi

Actually I almost prefer home made Japanese curry. I hope it doesn't sound narcissistic! But the great thing is to cook up 2 huge pots, then I have curry for a week. And home made curry tastes better after days too.

But even though I have it in my fridge now, I think I'm actually craving Indian curry because of you.. lol. There's a new place down the street (but I forgot the name) that does really good butter chicken curry. Might go there for lunch.

Also I tried that level 0 curry at CoCo once (when my tolerance was zero) and it tasted like babyfood. That's when I really realized curry NEEDS to burn to be tasty. :3

hwalker84

Officially going March 20th - April 12th. Buying my ticket this weekend. Love this damn country. Now I got two months to learn some more Japanese than I know.

Rowena

Neo Member
Confused about getting around Tokyo. Would it be wise to get a JR Pass. Would this allow me to travel around Tokyo. I'm getting a JR pass to go to Osaka for a couple of days but if it's not worth it for Tokyo I'd rather have a different option and skip Osaka. Thanks in advance for the reply.

Ayumi

Confused about getting around Tokyo. Would it be wise to get a JR Pass. Would this allow me to travel around Tokyo. I'm getting a JR pass to go to Osaka for a couple of days but if it's not worth it for Tokyo I'd rather have a different option and skip Osaka. Thanks in advance for the reply.

No need to get a pass for inside Tokyo. You'll end up paying more than you would for the individual tickets/Suica recharges.

If you're only going to Osaka and back (aka 2 train rides), then you should also buy individual tickets. The JR Pass costs more than just 2 train rides on the Shinkansen between Tokyo and Osaka IIRC. If you're going on the Shinkansen more than twice, then I suggest getting the JR Pass.

So just paid off my hotels in Japan for my trip, hopefully I've chosen wisely given I'm trying to be on budget. Staying at the Sakura Hotel Ikebukero for 7 nights in Tokyo, looked like a great little place and a good price. Hotel Mystays in Nagoya and Kyoto for a night each and finally Consort Hotel in Osaka for 2 nights.

Hopefully I'm not going to find these rooms too small as a 6 foot 4 guy.

Ayumi

If it's your first time in Japan, I can assure you that you will find everything too small as a 6 foot 4 guy! Just watch your head inside most buildings. D:

kmax

So just paid off my hotels in Japan for my trip, hopefully I've chosen wisely given I'm trying to be on budget. Staying at the Sakura Hotel Ikebukero for 7 nights in Tokyo, looked like a great little place and a good price. Hotel Mystays in Nagoya and Kyoto for a night each and finally Consort Hotel in Osaka for 2 nights.

Hopefully I'm not going to find these rooms too small as a 6 foot 4 guy.

Literally everything will be too small. Especially the convenience stores. Their aisles are tight as hell.

If you're only going to Osaka and back (aka 2 train rides), then you should also buy individual tickets. The JR Pass costs more than just 2 train rides on the Shinkansen between Tokyo and Osaka IIRC. If you're going on the Shinkansen more than twice, then I suggest getting the JR Pass.

Actually, if one is just going to Osaka and back to Tokyo without any stops and it's within a week, then one should probably get this:
http://www.japanican.com/en/tour/detail/VJOPENTO1

Saves you about 5000 JPY or so (+ that 2300 JPY value Osaka pass), but you'll only be able to use non-reserved cars.

I'm 6'4" and never had a problem getting around. Only time I really noticed a problem was at the ryokan I stayed at, definitely had to duck down a bit to get in the door.

I had an awesome dinner at the Akita Namahage restaurant in Ginza. It was a 9-course meal for around 3300 yen, plus another 460 yen for a glass of sake. At the beginning of the meal, two guys in Namahage costumes began stalking through the restaurant, scaring children (seriously, it was wild) and having creepy discussions with every guy about being good husbands and stuff.

They also look totally badass.

It was really an unforgettable experience. So rad. My girlfriend was scared to death by them - one has a big stick that he bangs on the ground when he's walking and the other has a huge fake knife.

Here's a link to an imjur album of the meal, and here's a few preview pics:

sE6RSCQ.jpg
Namahage stalking folks behind me.
He hung out with us for a few minutes.
Fried fish filled with eggs - really delicious.
Fried fugu (blowfish). This was so awesome, and I didn't die.

hwalker84

Any issues with flying into Haneda? I'm about to purchase my ticket but this time it's flying in and out of Haneda instead of Narita.

Top Bottom