• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

JKTrix

I've just started planning a trip to Japan for the end of April, intending to go to a concert at Saitama Super Arena. Will be digging through this thread in the coming days for tips!

dani_dc

Figure this is a good place to ask, any good places to visit starting at 5-7pm?

Been around Tokyo for two weeks but still feel I haven't seen much since I only have the weekends free. I mostly just walk through Akihabara and Ueno since they're on my way home, but if possible I'd like to take that free time to visit other places.

I work at the Chiyoda area, 16 minutes walk from Yamanote line and Chūō-Sōbu local line, as well as a few minutes away from Jinbocho subway station, which has the Shinjuku Line, theMita Line and the Hanzōmon Line if that helps.

Oh crap this could be an epic GAF meetup or amazingly socially awkward
prob both

I'm down.

Now I'm tempted to join you guys as well.

Need to remember to keep track of this thread more often in general.

Figure this is a good place to ask, any good places to visit starting at 5-7pm?

Been around Tokyo for two weeks but still feel I haven't seen much since I only have the weekends free. I mostly just walk through Akihabara and Ueno since they're on my way home, but if possible I'd like to take that free time to visit other places.

I work at the Chiyoda area, 16 minutes walk from Yamanote line and Chūō-Sōbu local line, as well as a few minutes away from Jinbocho subway station, which has the Shinjuku Line, theMita Line and the Hanzōmon Line if that helps.

Now I'm tempted to join you guys as well.

Need to remember to keep track of this thread more often in general.

Hm... Check out the Asakusa area with Sensoji Temple and such + the Skytree not that far away? Wandering around Golden Gai in Shinjuku and Shibuya should be interesting as well.

Feel free to join us! Anybody who lives in Tokyo are welcome too!

Osukaa

Hi first post yay but umm yeah lol I'll be in Japan from March 23rd to April 16th hope I can meet some of you fellow gaffers there. I'll be staying at friends house in chiba. So sorta close to Tokyo. It's my 3rd time there so maybe I can even give a mini tour lol. I'll be with friends pretty much every day but your welcome to contact me and we can meet up and have some fun. Umm small intro is in order I guess, I'm a male human, sane, and like to meet new people. Lol thanks guys hope this is the beginning of something fun.

DMB4237

Neo Member
Hi guys! I'll be going to Japan in May, and I'm trying to convince my girlfriend about going to Osaka during Golden Week , but she tells me that she's not super psyched because there could be too many crowds during that time (She's Japanese and lives in Toyama prefecture). She would consider it if I have specific places I would like to go or specific experiences I want to try out.

My only true experience with Osaka was that I travelled through Dotonbori on the last day of my trip to Japan last year, but I didn't get to see much else. I was enamored with the city, but I can't explain why.

So, now here I am asking for help to see if it is worth going to Osaka during Golden Week, or if the crowds during that time really get in the way. As well, I would like to plan at least a day in Nara. Do you guys have any unique or really cool experiences there during Golden Week?

My alternate plan would be for me to go to Toyama prefecture, and my girlfriend and I would go to Kanazawa during Golden Week. Does anyone have any experiences with this?

scogoth

Hi guys! I'll be going to Japan in May, and I'm trying to convince my girlfriend about going to Osaka during Golden Week , but she tells me that she's not super psyched because there could be too many crowds during that time (She's Japanese and lives in Toyama prefecture). She would consider it if I have specific places I would like to go or specific experiences I want to try out.

My only true experience with Osaka was that I travelled through Dotonbori on the last day of my trip to Japan last year, but I didn't get to see much else. I was enamored with the city, but I can't explain why.

So, now here I am asking for help to see if it is worth going to Osaka during Golden Week, or if the crowds during that time really get in the way. As well, I would like to plan at least a day in Nara. Do you guys have any unique or really cool experiences there during Golden Week?

My alternate plan would be for me to go to Toyama prefecture, and my girlfriend and I would go to Kanazawa during Golden Week. Does anyone have any experiences with this?

I just went on a bike tour through Ishikawa and Noto last fall and had the best trip of my life. Maybe you and her can take an trip to an onsen in Wajima or Wakura. Both were beautiful, serene and wonderful but might be hard to book a place now. I was only in Kanazawa for one day but the Kanazawa castle and Kenroku-en garden were amazing to tour around for a day. Unfortunately I didn't get to see anymore of Kanazawa but it looked beautiful from the castle.

dani_dc

Hm... Check out the Asakusa area with Sensoji Temple and such + the Skytree not that far away? Wandering around Golden Gai in Shinjuku and Shibuya should be interesting as well.

Feel free to join us! Anybody who lives in Tokyo are welcome too!

Might do that, haven't spent much time in the Asakusa area, I did check the Skytree mall, but I was too tired to climb to the top of it.

I think I will, unless something comes up closer to the actual date, anytime should be fine by me.

Thriller

Hey guys! My mum and dad had their B-day a while ago and when I took them out for dinner my father asked how much I paid for my return ticket to Tokyo. He was astounded and asked if we could turn this into a father/son trip (a bold question from a very fit 66 year old).

Now I've been in Japan before so I kind of know what to expect but still I am quite nervous. The last time I was there I took the Shinkansen bullet train from Osaka to Hiroshima and it was expensive.

My father and I will arrive at Haneda airport on the 6th of July and well go back the 26th.
My dad has worked with the Dutch railways for over 40 years so he wants to use the train and this is where my doubts start.

Should I buy a 21 day JR rail pass, I am thinking yes, especially with the eye on the costs of that one Shinkansen trip I took a couple of years ago.

Then there is the issue of how much the other travels will cost us. Lot's of subway use in Tokyo I suppose and not the JR rail pass?

I also know that my father and I differ very much and that I am rather lost in the possibilities of our (still non existent) itinerary.
We'd like to be in Tokyo a couple of days (4) go to Kyoto - Osaka - Nara - Hiroshima but this still leaves room for loads of little things in between. Is the JR rail pass the proper way to go?

I'd love to meet up of course and to go to a massive club because that is on my (not my dad's) bucket list.

Any tips, explanations or stories of a similar experience are greatly appreciated.

Should I buy a 21 day JR rail pass, I am thinking yes, especially with the eye on the costs of that one Shinkansen trip I took a couple of years ago.

Then there is the issue of how much the other travels will cost us. Lot's of subway use in Tokyo I suppose and not the JR rail pass?

I also know that my father and I differ very much and that I am rather lost in the possibilities of our (still non existent) itinerary.
We'd like to be in Tokyo a couple of days (4) go to Kyoto - Osaka - Nara - Hiroshima but this still leaves room for loads of little things in between. Is the JR rail pass the proper way to go?

This depends on how many days you're planning to spend in total in Tokyo and outside of Tokyo. If you for example is going to spend 4 days in Tokyo at the start of the trip and then 3 days at the end of the trip, then you should only get the 14 day JR Pass for the time outside of Tokyo.

scogoth

You can also use the JR Pass on the JR lines through Tokyo including the Yamanote line which will get you to most of the tourist neighborhoods. I bought a 14 day pass when I went to Tokyo (10 days), Kyoto (2 days) and Osaka (2 days) and it ended up being about the same or a little less then what I would have paid but way more convenient

For itinerary I would honestly look at travel books for Japan, even if you don't buy them and just look at them in the store they will give you some categories and recommendations that are more generic that may appeal to your father's likes. I went with my dad last September on a guided tour which was the best decision I ever made because it was really geared towards cultural and historical activities rather than tech, anime and drinking (which is what I would do in Japan).

You can also use the JR Pass on the JR lines through Tokyo including the Yamanote line which will get you to most of the tourist neighborhoods. I bought a 14 day pass when I went to Tokyo (10 days), Kyoto (2 days) and Osaka (2 days) and it ended up being about the same or a little less then what I would have paid but way more convenient

Getting a Suica/Pasmo card is slightly more convenient than using a JR Pass in Tokyo IMHO. And if he's planning to spend 7 days in Tokyo then he'd have to take around 6-8 Yamanote train rides every day to make the extra JR Pass days pay off.

Thriller

Some nice tips coming my way! Domo Arigato!

I'll talk thinks over with my father, and Ill keep my eye on this thread, I still have enough time to plan stuff and ask questions here.

Thanks again!

dani_dc

To add to this, JR lines are trains only, and I don't think the JR pass would cover all the lines. At the very least You'd still have to pay for subway use.

So I'd second MikeHattsu advice, just use a Pasmo/Suica card while in Tokyo and get the JR pass for outside of Tokyo travel.

To add to this, JR lines are trains only, and I don't think the JR pass would cover all the lines. At the very least You'd still have to pay for subway use.

So I'd second MikeHattsu advice, just use a Pasmo/Suica card while in Tokyo and get the JR pass for outside of Tokyo travel.

Yeah, it's JR trains in Tokyo + Tokyo Monorail. You do get to most of the popular tourist places with JR trains though. Only really popular ones you won't get to without walking a whole lot (or take subways/other trains) are Odaiba, Asakusa/Skytree area and Roppongi. Of course, a bunch of other places got subway stations closer to them than JR stations too.

well, my vacation is off to an interesting start...

so I'm flying from LA to Hong Kong and I was going to take the noon flight on ANA. when I checked in, they told me the flight is overbooked and asked if I'm willing to go on the stand-by list and switch me to a direct flight on Cathy Pacific instead (I was going to have 2 hours or so lay over in Tokyo originally). they gave me a pass for the Star Alliance lounge and told me to just wait there for announcement. and if they do switch me, I would arrive in HKG 3 hours earlier and they would even pay me $400 something for switching. this currently is a pretty good beginning for my trip lol.

update edit: aw, I'll be on the original flight on ANA, no early arrival this time, but at least I get to stay in the lounge and have a drink for free (pretty fancy lounge too).

As someone who works at a phamacy right now making 8.75 an hour, traveling to japan is not realistic is it?

do you think you can save up around $3000 or so for the trip? with some planning and compromise, you can do a teip for around 2 weeks on that budget I think. my trip back in '09 costed me a total of around $3800 for 3 weeks, so it's not impossible.

Protag

Banned
do you think you can save up around $3000 or so for the trip? with some planning and compromise, you can do a teip for around 2 weeks on that budget I think. my trip back in '09 costed me a total of around $3800 for 3 weeks, so it's not impossible.

Thank you for your thoughts

If you're really frugal you could possibly do a week in Tokyo for $400-$450 + plane cost. This is doable if you stay in a hostel dorm, stick to 2 cheap meals a day, only drink water, only check out free sightseeing spots and don't buy anything to bring home.

If you're really frugal you could possibly do a week in Tokyo for $400-$450 + plane cost. This is doable if you stay in a hostel dorm, stick to 2 cheap meals a day, only drink water, only check out free sightseeing spots and don't buy anything to bring home.

oh yeah, I should mention that the amount I quote is including flight, JR pass, hotel and food.

shas'la

Lads, any tips for nice stores/snacks in Nakameguro? It's only of the places i've never hit up EVER, so definitely want to cross it off my list this week.

Alpha_eX

I'm in Tokyo from Friday till the end of March, been a bunch of times so wondering if there's any new places that have popped up worth checking out? I'm hoping to find some cool new bars and places to eat.

I also have a JR pass and would like to visit some nice scenic places, especially if I can rent out a ride a bicycle! I wanted to go Universal Studios too but heard they've gone and closed the Resident Evil experience ride.

Sakura

Alright so I've got tickets and hotel booked. Friend is going to arrive in Fukuoka April 30th or May 1st or something, I'll pick him up at the airport and he can stay at my place. Then May 7th we will fly to Tokyo and spend a week there, then fly back to Fukuoka and fly back to Canada together on the 15th. Assuming everything goes according to keikaku of course.

Not actually sure what we're going to do in Japan. I don't have much money. Probably visit a few touristy spots in Fukuoka. Maybe see an idol show and a baseball game. Was thinking about doing a tour in the Asahi brewery thing. Apparently you get free beer. In Tokyo I don't really have any idea of what to do. I personally don't really have any interest in Akihabara or anything like that, though I do want to see the Gundam and go to that Gundam cafe. Also probably going to go to Tokyo Disneyland.

As someone who works at a phamacy right now making 8.75 an hour, traveling to japan is not realistic is it?

I don't know your expenses so it is impossible to say really.
However, when I was making 11~ something an hour at Walmart, I managed to save 7k in a year. I was still living at home, so I only paid $100 rent. But I paid for my own internet, my phone, my food and other consumables. I was only working part time.
If you are working 160 hours a month that is 1400 dollars. If you could set aside 300 dollars a month that is 3000 dollars in 10 months. For me, a return ticket would be around 1000 dollars. Maybe 500 dollars for 2 weeks in a cheap hotel. Leaves you 1500 dollars to shop/eat/whatever.

scogoth

Alright so I've got tickets and hotel booked. Friend is going to arrive in Fukuoka April 30th or May 1st or something, I'll pick him up at the airport and he can stay at my place. Then May 7th we will fly to Tokyo and spend a week there, then fly back to Fukuoka and fly back to Canada together on the 15th. Assuming everything goes according to keikaku of course.

Not actually sure what we're going to do in Japan. I don't have much money. Probably visit a few touristy spots in Fukuoka. Maybe see an idol show and a baseball game. Was thinking about doing a tour in the Asahi brewery thing. Apparently you get free beer. In Tokyo I don't really have any idea of what to do. I personally don't really have any interest in Akihabara or anything like that, though I do want to see the Gundam and go to that Gundam cafe. Also probably going to go to Tokyo Disneyland.

I don't know your expenses so it is impossible to say really.
However, when I was making 11~ something an hour at Walmart, I managed to save 7k in a year. I was still living at home, so I only paid $100 rent. But I paid for my own internet, my phone, my food and other consumables. I was only working part time.
If you are working 160 hours a month that is 1400 dollars. If you could set aside 300 dollars a month that is 3000 dollars in 10 months. For me, a return ticket would be around 1000 dollars. Maybe 500 dollars for 2 weeks in a cheap hotel. Leaves you 1500 dollars to shop/eat/whatever.

May 12th GAF Traveler meetup in Tokyo. There's one night booked for you!

dani_dc

So, this might be a silly question, but when buying clothes, is a Japanese "M" size equivalent to an European one? Or should I be looking at "L" Japanese sizes?

May 12th GAF Traveler meetup in Tokyo. There's one night booked for you!

Already have that date ready out for you guys!

Ayumi

So, this might be a silly question, but when buying clothes, is a Japanese "M" size equivalent to an European one? Or should I be looking at "L" Japanese sizes?!

They don't honestly match up like that. You can't do a raw conversion, because like most places in the world, the brands have different sized sized. Unless you're shopping at international chains like H&M and Uniqlo, I would definitely try things on before buying if I were you. And if you find stuff that fit, that size might be too small/large in other brands. This counts especially for shoes too..

Ayumi

Uniqlo runs small in Japan, too. I wear small to medium in North America but ended up having to buy large most places.

Good to know. I've only been to Uniqlo in Japan. H&M sizes seem true worldwide though, at least it all fits me the same no matter where I shop. They're labeled as European sizes too, at least the ladies' department.

Good to know. I've only been to Uniqlo in Japan. H&M sizes seem true worldwide though, at least it all fits me the same no matter where I shop. They're labeled as European sizes too, at least the ladies' department.

Uniqlo in the US is sized differently. Muji, too.

My wife is a medium in the US, but couldn't find a lot of clothes that fit her in Japan during all three of our trips, mostly due to her height.

No chance in hell with shoes for her.

Ayumi

Uniqlo in the US is sized differently. Muji, too.

My wife is a medium in the US, but couldn't find a lot of clothes that fit her in Japan during all three of our trips, mostly due to her height.

No chance in hell with shoes for her.
I'm almost 5'10" and usually don't have size issues except sweaters/long sleeves, jeans (which I don't wear) and shoes. If she want shoes.. It'll be hard. There is always H&M but hard to come by random stores with sizes over 25/25.5

Uniqlo should no issue for her.. They have all sizes except maybe plus size on many clothes. Unless she's like 190. I dunno what M indicates in the US compared to Japan though but random/most Japanese stores do have "free size" which is usually meant for girls averaging 160-165. Hard to find shirts but easy to find skirts, etc.

any idea how much a used Japanese 3DS costs? I kinda want one to play Youkai Watch and Dragon Quest VII.
You should be able to find it dirt cheap on Yahoo Auctions. Requires a Japanese shipping address though, and maybe a Japanese bank account (I don't use Y!A so I don't know their other requirements).

Zatoth

Looks like The Japan Tourism Agency is running a competition where you can win a return flight to Japan:
http://welcome-japan.jp/campaign/wonders/index.html

Flight is with Finnair and through Helsinki Airport, so probably most interesting for people in or near Europe.

Not sure if it was posted already, but they have another competition. Running a few more days. This time with Turkish Airlines through Atatürk International Airport.

http://welcome-japan.jp/campaign/wonders/index.html

Anyone have any experience with/knowledge of love hotels, particularly in Tokyo? I was looking for one with a crazy theme but it seems like they've mostly phased those out, so at this point I just want one with a stripper pole. But it's nearly impossible to find anything out from the US. ;_;

I'm almost 5'10" and usually don't have size issues except sweaters/long sleeves, jeans (which I don't wear) and shoes. If she want shoes.. It'll be hard. There is always H&M but hard to come by random stores with sizes over 25/25.5

Uniqlo should no issue for her.. They have all sizes except maybe plus size on many clothes. Unless she's like 190. I dunno what M indicates in the US compared to Japan though but random/most Japanese stores do have "free size" which is usually meant for girls averaging 160-165. Hard to find shirts but easy to find skirts, etc.

You should be able to find it dirt cheap on Yahoo Auctions. Requires a Japanese shipping address though, and maybe a Japanese bank account (I don't use Y!A so I don't know their other requirements).
2015-03-1914.06.45i6uno.png

LOL

You're obviously discussing women, but as a 185cm ~200lb/90kg guy, I wear L in Japanese Uniqlo pretty well. More loose than tight, but it rises a bit high on my torso. I have to wear my pants a little bit higher when I break out the Japanese cut shirts. Chest-wise, I'd wear an M if it weren't for the length issue (I wear an M in US Uniqlo) but that would probably start encroaching on my navel area. Maybe I just got a long torso.

Which is weird to me. Maybe it's because I live in a rural area but I can't go a single day without seeing some behemoth that dwarfs me either in width or height and they sure enough have clothes that fit them on. Damn if I know where they're getting their clothes, particularly the shoes.

Ayumi

ABC Mart is probably good for guys!

What shoe size is your wife, btw? Most of the time shoes don't fit unless it's 26 (which is the same as 39/40 EU). Japan usually labels it as LL. Just make sure that you of course always try on, brands can be so different.

It's worth asking for LL/26 in stores that have a huge selection of shoes, or if she finds a pair she really likes. Most of the time they keep them in the back, if they do have them. If she's into cute shoes, try "No Fall" in Takeshita Dori (Harajuku/Jingumae). I've actually found a few various pair there in 26, both flats and high heels. There is another store.. I can't remember the name but it looks the same (very small store) with different types of female shoes (usually heels etc).

You're obviously discussing women, but as a 185cm ~200lb/90kg guy, I wear L in Japanese Uniqlo pretty well. More loose than tight, but it rises a bit high on my torso. I have to wear my pants a little bit higher when I break out the Japanese cut shirts. Chest-wise, I'd wear an M if it weren't for the length issue (I wear an M in US Uniqlo) but that would probably start encroaching on my navel area. Maybe I just got a long torso.

Which is weird to me. Maybe it's because I live in a rural area but I can't go a single day without seeing some behemoth that dwarfs me either in width or height and they sure enough have clothes that fit them on. Damn if I know where they're getting their clothes, particularly the shoes.

Had to read the last paragraph to understand what you were saying.. lol. I dunno, but clothes size for tall men seems more easy to find than for girls. According to Japan, girls only come in one size (45kg/160CM). But, if you see someone with very nice clothes. I think perhaps it's safe to assume they paid a lot for it. At least in Tokyo, people like to wear burando, and pay ridiculous amounts of money for clothes. But I guess once you also know where to buy your size/style things will be easier. Most of my stuff is from H&M because it's pretty much the only place I can buy pantyhose, underwear and long-sleeved stuff that actually fit.

I mean I did say I fit a lot of Japanese size clothes, but most of them are made in a particular style to be fitting on the body. Skirts are tight too but I'm skinny so it's fine. I really don't mind, but I also love loose comfortable clothes that fit too. Besides, H&M is super cheap and always have sales. They also have like 3 floors for women (poor men..) so I always find something I like.

Japan does sell and make a lot of nice clothes.. I like nice blouses/shirts for females but it's hard to find one that is long enough in the arms. Somemtimes the bust is kinda tight too. I guess you gotta sacrifice something while wearing Japanese clothes! "Do I want a nice looking blouse shirt with long arms, or a blouse too tight around the bust?"

(I hope it's okay for a bit random conversation in this thread.. at least when it comes to something tourists could find useful when they visit!)

To boil it down, Uniqlo and H&M are very foreign friendly for clothes and shoes! They are foreign companies anyway..

This post was much longer than I had intended.

SKINNER!

Banned
So, this might be a silly question, but when buying clothes, is a Japanese "M" size equivalent to an European one? Or should I be looking at "L" Japanese sizes?

My suggestion is to look for L sizes. From my experience, I'm a European M (American M tend to be slighly more baggy for me) but when I went over to Japan I bought a L Hiroshima Carps jersey and it's as snug as my M shirts. Japanese M felt like a European S for me. Thing is, I would've went for a slightly larger size as I like my baseball shirts baggy (helps with bat swings) but I didn't have much of a choice as L was the largest size.

There's the Resident Evil The Escape thing right now at Universal Studios:
http://www.usj.co.jp/e/universal-cool-japan2015/biohazard/

Dunno if it's just in Japanese though...

Aww yes! So going to that :D

ninanuam

Banned

Already have that date ready out for you guys!

Im flying in on the 14th...too bad i'll miss all the fun.

Top Bottom