• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Cyd0nia

Banned
I'm heading from the UK to Japan tomorrow... I've got a big layover in Moscow so I'm not there until Thursday onwards, but I'm there for 3 weeks.

I'm with my girlfriend and we'll be nearby to:

27-29 March - Shinjuku Ward, Tokyo
29 March - 1 April -- Nishi Ward, Osaka
April 1 - Himeji and then Hiroshima towards the end of the day
April 2 - Miyajima
April 2/3/4 - Nara-shi, Nara
April 5-7 - Koto Ward, Tokyo

If any of you guys fancy meeting up PM me and I'll send you my number / social network deets - will probably use Whatsapp if I can, and if you use that

Tabris

OK. Here is what I got done so far:

- Travel Insurance.
- Ordered a 3GB docomo SIM card for my iPhone6 (unlocked) via connection-japan.com which is set to go to my hotel.
- Got a hotel room at APA Hotels Ginza-Takaracho. It's 1 min away from Takaracho station (which we'll barely use I assume) but it's 5 mins away from Kyobushi station which allows us to get most everywhere using Ginza line.

So my worry is getting from Narita to my hotel. I can take either NEX or limo bus to Tokyo station, but it's getting from tokyo station to my hotel that I have no clue how to do. It's only a 20 min walk away but it's weird walking with a huge suitcase through a mainly business area near this hotel.

Are there taxis at tokyo station I can grab? if so, are they OK with quick 5-10 minute trips? I 'll make sure to have a print out in japanese of directions / map to hand him.

Also we'll be using the trains constantly every day, namely the ginza line. Do I need to buy any passes or I should be good just to buy per use?

so I've been to Fushimi Inari shine before and went half way up the Inari mountain. figure I'll take the other way up to the top this time.

JjOxWad.jpg

I went through the bamboo forest path about quarter or less going up and then just blindly follow the path forward.

h1YTocZ.jpg

turns out that path is WAY off to the side and basically goes up the top from near the back.

l7PCK8B.jpg

after a while I'm finally back on the main path again (after close to 2 hours walk).

FarFWGi.jpg

GcuGRAa.jpg

I'm finally at the top lol

05cb3Sy.jpg

jQU6JBW.jpg

now to head back down...

DqGDVGo.jpg

at least the view is better this way, and I even get to play with a kitty!

LMIhR0v.jpg

5Bxqw70.jpg

I ended up taking too long to buy and eat stuff around the entrance and didn't go to Sanjusangen-do but oh well, will do it tomorrow instead.

Ws5Htxs.jpg

So my worry is getting from Narita to my hotel. I can take either NEX or limo bus to Tokyo station, but it's getting from tokyo station to my hotel that I have no clue how to do. It's only a 20 min walk away but it's weird walking with a huge suitcase through a mainly business area near this hotel.

Are there taxis at tokyo station I can grab? if so, are they OK with quick 5-10 minute trips? I 'll make sure to have a print out in japanese of directions / map to hand him.

Also we'll be using the trains constantly every day, namely the ginza line. Do I need to buy any passes or I should be good just to buy per use?

How long are you staying for and what time are you arriving at Narita?

so I've been to Fushimi Inari shine before and went half way up the Inari mountain. figure I'll take the other way up to the top this time.

How long did it take you in total to go to the top and down again?

I'm going to Tokyo in a week. Where's the best places for pictures (and videos)

Depends on what you want to take pictures of.

Seriously though, I'm open to every idea :)

Asakusa Sensoji Temple, Tokyo Skytree, Meiji Shrine, Harajuku (if you're there on a Sunday), DiverCity Tokyo Plaza with the Gundam Statue, Toyota Museum if you're interested in cars, Akihabara, Shibuya Crossing, Tokyo Tower and Ueno Park/Zoo for a start at least. ;P

Zyzyxxz

OK. Here is what I got done so far:

- Travel Insurance.
- Ordered a 3GB docomo SIM card for my iPhone6 (unlocked) via connection-japan.com which is set to go to my hotel.
- Got a hotel room at APA Hotels Ginza-Takaracho. It's 1 min away from Takaracho station (which we'll barely use I assume) but it's 5 mins away from Kyobushi station which allows us to get most everywhere using Ginza line.

Wait why can't you take the Narita Sky Access train? It will drop you off at Takaracho station. Unless you are getting to the airport really late
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Nar...aa5d298d58d00!2m2!1d139.77168!2d35.674453!3e3

Tokyo Meetup, May 12th

So, we're having a Tokyo meetup on May 12th, mostly tourists, but anybody living in Japan are welcome to join us too if they want.

Details

1. We meet up a little before 17:30 and get all you can eat shabu-shabu at Mo Mo Paradise (unless it's fully booked, then we find another place).

Map:
    https://goo.gl/maps/T1mDx

2. We go to Robot Restaurant at 19:00 and check out the show at 19:10.

You need to book tickets to the show yourself.
    Here's the Japanican booking link for the correct time, remember to choose May 12th:
    http://www.japanican.com/en/tour/detail/DIN1G1950A/

3. After the show ends at about 21:30 we either go check out an arcade or do karaoke. Depends on how many people wants to join either activity.

People who's shown interest in joining so far:
Axispowers
dani_dc
MikeHattsu (+1)
scogoth
TatteredHat
Zyzyxxz (+1)

How long did it take you in total to go to the top and down again?

I started at 12:15pm or so and came back down around 3:30pm I think. but then again I was just taking my time, taking pictures and looking at stuff, so I imagine it would only take around 2 hours to do the whole thing.

ended up went to Nijõ Castle to check out the night sakuras. only a few are blossoming but they do look pretty.

28KARxt.jpg

there was also a big light projection show that runs every 4 minutes when you go in, it was very nice.

on a side note, this cold makes walking around at night kinda fun but sucks at the same time lol

I know it's been a few years since I was at Kyoto last, but it sure changed a lot... not in terms of the city and the scenery, but more about the huge number of visitors and how they behave. most notable are the young people (most of them look like they're in their 20s) that are in what I assume are rental kimonos and traditional clothing walking around. I think it's because there're so many tourist now and in turn people see a great business opportunity. it kinda caught me off guard yesterday when I was in Inari shrine, thinking there's some kind of event. but I saw a bunch today all over the place too, so it's not just the shrine. not too sure how I feel about it to be honest but I guess it's nice; makes the area a little more unique I suppose.

anyone knows when there's the least amount of tourist? I came here in January last time and it was rather enjoyable, but then again that was 6 or so years ago so things might have changed...

I started at 12:15pm or so and came back down around 3:30pm I think. but then again I was just taking my time, taking pictures and looking at stuff, so I imagine it would only take around 2 hours to do the whole thing.

ended up went to Nijõ Castle to check out the night sakuras. only a few are blossoming but they do look pretty.

28KARxt.jpg

there was also a big light projection show that runs every 4 minutes when you go in, it was very nice.

on a side note, this cold makes walking around at night kinda fun but sucks at the same time lol
Crap, it has bloomed?

Any chance I'll see sakura flowers on the 5th of April?

Ah, ok.

I came here in January last time and it was rather enjoyable, but then again that was 6 or so years ago so things might have changed...

There's a lot less tourists visiting Japan in January/February than March/April...

Crap, it has bloomed?

It's just started to bloom. April 5th is in the middle of the best viewing period:
http://japan-guide.com/e/e2011.html

Crap, it has bloomed?

yeah, as Mike mentioned, it's just starting, especially in Kyoto, a lot seem to still not blooming yet because of the cold weather (but it did get kinda hot today around noon time so maybe more are popping up. like I said, the ones in Nijõ Castle are not really in bloom yet other then a few of them.

There's a lot less tourists visiting Japan in January/February than March/April...

It's just started to bloom. April 5th is in the middle of the best viewing period:
http://japan-guide.com/e/e2011.html

yeah, I think I'll bear with the cold and rain and just come during January next time instead. I imagine lots of the tourist right now are here on double duty; seeing the sights AND the sakuras, so that kinda make sense.

I did see a few rather pretty sakura today in Sanjusangen-do

JTsFykP.jpg

UPdoUWf.jpg

and right at the 一条戻橋 near Seimei Shrine

A1NJMzN.jpg

5Wn5W8w.jpg

and tomorrow I'm going to Yoshino, hopefully be able to see the famous mountain full of sakuras, but I'm not holding my breath on that to be honest... lol

edit: according to this site it sure looks like I won't see much if I go there...

yeah, I think I'll bear with the cold and rain and just come during January next time instead. I imagine lots of the tourist right now are here on double duty; seeing the sights AND the sakuras, so that kinda make sense.

Tourist numbers are increasing in January/February too though. Mostly from other Asian countries. And in 2009 there were fewer tourists than normal due to the financial crisis.

Tourist numbers are increasing in January/February too though. Mostly from other Asian countries. And in 2009 there were fewer tourists than normal due to the financial crisis.

sigh... oh well, just have to rough it out I suppose... orz

was watching TV and saw the commercial for Universal Studio in Osaka, and the stuff they have seem so awesome I'm almost tempted to go. EVA, Monster Hunter, Attack On Titan and Resident Evil. but again, the line and the hughe amount of tourist is not something I want to deal with right now.

btw, any fun and out of the way recommendations for Tokyo? I'm kinda considering if I want to visit the Ghibli Museum and the city hall again. I kinda like the city hall just for the cafeteria alone. and is Akihabara the best place to go find used games? I'm looking for a couple PS3 games for myself and a friend.

SKINNER!

Banned
I usually make it a mission to lose myself in Super Potato but everytime I do I end up realising that I can't buy anything because I don't understand the language :( So I just stare at the cool stuff.

I usually make it a mission to lose myself in Super Potato but everytime I do I end up realising that I can't buy anything because I don't understand the language :( So I just stare at the cool stuff.

cool, thanks for the recommendation.

I'm thinking about heading to Tsukiji in the early morning during my stay in Tokyo. anything I need to be aware of other then stay out of people's way when they're doing business and don't make any noise when they're bidding tuna? is there any place where I can buy raw seafood and have them cook for me? pointers for good eats?

Zyzyxxz

cool, thanks for the recommendation.

I'm thinking about heading to Tsukiji in the early morning during my stay in Tokyo. anything I need to be aware of other then stay out of people's way when they're doing business and don't make any noise when they're bidding tuna? is there any place where I can buy raw seafood and have them cook for me? pointers for good eats?

Remember its closed Wed and Sundays and some other random days, check their official website calendar.

Also you won't be able to make it to the tuna auctions unless you get there at 5/6AM unless you are staying withing a walking distance/short taxi ride away. But the market itself is very impressive, you can buy from fishmongers but as for getting it cooked? No idea but you're better off just eating at the market there's plenty of good food.

Tabris

How long are you staying for and what time are you arriving at Narita?

Wait why can't you take the Narita Sky Access train? It will drop you off at Takaracho station. Unless you are getting to the airport really late
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Nar...aa5d298d58d00!2m2!1d139.77168!2d35.674453!3e3

I am arriving in Narita around 3:20pm JST.

I want to avoid transfers if possible since I'll be lugging around luggage. And don't want to get lost until I get to my hotel, as my SIM card is being delivered there so I won't have internet access until I'm at my hotel. I'm meeting my gf there, who speaks Japanese, but she won't be there until the next morning.

EDIT - I guess there will be free wifi at the airport though.

Remember its closed Wed and Sundays and some other random days, check their official website calendar.

Also you won't be able to make it to the tuna auctions unless you get there at 5/6AM unless you are staying withing a walking distance/short taxi ride away. But the market itself is very impressive, you can buy from fishmongers but as for getting it cooked? No idea but you're better off just eating at the market there's plenty of good food.

Yeah, should go there at like 4:00 if you want to check out the tuna auction since they only let a small amount of people in and there will be other people waiting in line to get in as well.

I am arriving in Narita around 3:20pm JST.

I want to avoid transfers if possible since I'll be lugging around luggage.

Take the Keisei/Keikyu Access Express/Airport Express that goes from Narita to Haneda, get off at Nihombashi if it's a Limited Express one that doesn't stop at Takaracho, and wait for a few minutes on the same platform for the next train that's not a Limited Express and ride that to Takaracho. If it's a normal Express it will stop at Takaracho and you'll not need to do any transfers at all.

Take the Keisei/Keikyu Access Express/Airport Express that goes from Narita to Haneda, get off at Nihombashi if it's a Limited Express one that doesn't stop at Takaracho, and wait for a few minutes on the same platform for the next train that's not a Limited Express and ride that to Takaracho. If it's a normal Express it will stop at Takaracho and you'll not need to do any transfers at all.
Honestly, your knowledge on this stuff keeps to amaze me. I have yet to meet somebody in this country who comes even close to your transit knowledge. At this point, why not move over here lol.

Yeah, should go there at like 4:00 if you want to check out the tuna auction since they only let a small amount of people in and there will be other people waiting in line to get in as well.

thanks for the advice you guys. 4am huh? challengeaccepted.jpg

so, you know that saying about monkey, idiot and high places...?

like I mentioned before, I decided to head to Yoshino today. got there a little before 12pm and started heading yp the mountain around 12:50pm. as soon as I got there I can already see the sakuras are not in bloom yet. I kinda know thou since the website's forecast says that they won't be blooming til April 3rd or so. but anyway, at least not many people around.

the station looks clean and reasonably deserted, but at least their adorable mascot is there to greet me.

KRqFqk9.jpg

ykeAYKQ.jpg

anyway, let's start. ok, this map seems to tell me it won't be too bad. and the walk going up has lots of stores too

KkItzQv.jpg

krd3f0o.jpg

wait a minute, I have to go up this? and that!?

08vAUZa.jpg

d1y8B8D.jpg

jNaI0FO.jpg

well, at least the view up there at the observation deck is pretty nice, and I'm all by myself and good thing too, I was sweating bullets and breathing so heavy people might think I'm some nut job. (there're actually more to go to get to the last temple and the mountain top, but I have to turn back because it's getting late)

F0j2ja8.jpg

TMqarxo.jpg

man... I walked all the way from below that town way over there? WTF was I thinking!?

anyway, it's a good workout and since not a lot of people right now, its really peaceful with all the birds, flowers and insects. came down a little too late and all the store that sells 葛切 are closed... oh well, next time I guess.

dani_dc

Lots of the simpler games would be fine to get without knowing any Japanese.

My wife and I have a trip booked and will be in Japan May 29 - June 6. Kyoto for the first half and Tokyo for the 2nd. Some questions:

Do we really want JR Rail Passes? It seems so expensive but I don't know what the cost of paying for individual train rides would be to compare

We have Ghibli Museum tickets already and plan on going to some hot springs in/near Kyoto. We also have one of the aquariums with Whale Sharks on the list. Oh, also Robot Restaurant. We have no itinerary after this. Shopping, visiting an arcade, sightseeing at some parks, and eating out are all expected, but I really don't know what else to do or book.

My wife and I have a trip booked and will be in Japan May 29 - June 6. Kyoto for the first half and Tokyo for the 2nd. Some questions:

Do we really want JR Rail Passes? It seems so expensive but I don't know what the cost of paying for individual train rides would be to compare

Need more details. Which airport are you arriving at and which one are you leaving from? Will you visit other cities near Kyoto or Tokyo, like Osaka, Nara, Yokohama or cities like Hiroshima?

Need more details. Which airport are you arriving at and which one are you leaving from? Will you visit other cities near Kyoto or Tokyo, like Osaka, Nara, Yokohama or cities like Hiroshima?

Flying in and out of NRT. I think the aquarium we want to go to is in Osaka. Other than that, I don't have a reason yet to go to cities outside of Kyoto and Tokyo considering no itinerary. I'm willing if the attractions are good.

Flying in and out of NRT. I think the aquarium we want to go to is in Osaka. Other than that, I don't have a reason yet to go to cities outside of Kyoto and Tokyo considering no itinerary. I'm willing if the attractions are good.

If you're only going to stay within Tokyo and Kyoto and with just 1 day of visiting Osaka, then get these discount Shinkansen tickets instead of a JR pass:
http://www.japanican.com/en/tour/detail/VJOPENTK1/

If you're only going to stay within Tokyo and Kyoto and with just 1 day of visiting Osaka, then get these discount Shinkansen tickets instead of a JR pass:
http://www.japanican.com/en/tour/detail/VJOPENTK1/

this is great information, thank you very much. So a round trip from Tokyo to Kyoto would be $181/person with this, where the JR pass which is unlimited is $243. For the extra $60 I'd rather just go for the JR pass.

Robot Carnival, your pics are nice! I googled that shrine, it's only a 10 min walk away from my Kyoto hotel. I am penciling it in for the itinterary

this is great information, thank you very much. So a round trip from Tokyo to Kyoto would be $181/person with this, where the JR pass which is unlimited is $243. For the extra $60 I'd rather just go for the JR pass.

You'll have next to no use for the JR pass in Kyoto since it's mainly a bus city.

A return trip from Kyoto to Osaka costs 1120 JPY. Each train trip on the Yamanote line in Tokyo costs less than 250 JPY on average.

Robot Carnival, your pics are nice! I googled that shrine, it's only a 10 min walk away from my Kyoto hotel. I am penciling it in for the itinterary

which shrine? Seimei Shrine? if that's the case then sure, go for it. it's kind of a small shrine thou so you won't need too long. if it's Sanjusangen-do then that's a different story. that place is kinda mid size and takes maybe an hour or so to look around. pr are you talking about Fushimi Inari Shrine? that one is pretty big and it gets pretty crowded once the day goes on, so go early.

if you're getting the JR pass, can think about heading to Himeji if you can spare the time. the Himeji Castle just reopened a few days ago after a 5+ year of repair/restoration. it's one of the 3 most beautiful castles in Japan and an original on top of that (it didn't get hit by any bombing at all during WWII due to it's sort of remote location). you'llbe able to go up to the top of the castle if they keep things the way it was when I visited back then.

the Osaka Aquarium (Kaiyukan) is wonderful btw. I've been there before and it's really cool, especially the Pacific tank (the one with the whale sharks). I suggest you go there and then hit up Dotonbori afterwards for some good eats before going back to Kyoto (just watch the time and don't miss the train).

oh, as already mention by Mike, you can take the bus anywhere in Kyoto (or the subway if you don't mind slightly more). they even have the tourist tickets for the city bus and subway. 1 day bus pass is ¥500. one day bus and subway pass is ¥1000 and 2 days for both is ¥2000. it might be worth it to get one if you plan on going around a lot. but I think they only sell them at the Kyoto Station. I see a lot of people riding around on bicycles too, so that might be something you can consider too.

and also, put Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building in your itinerary when you go there. the twin tower government building also has observation level up top (in fact it has 2, 1 on each tower). they are free and offer a similar view as the Tokyo tower if you ask me. plus the cafeteria in the building has some great nutritious meals for cheap (it's for the government workers but everyone can go in and eat).

muu

Changing my plans a bit, one of the days we'll be taking the limo bus from Itami to Kyoto and spending the day there. Definitely seeing Fushimi Inari, what else would be good if I have a ~4hr time window and have to lug around a 1yrold? Unless we want to get adventurous and hop into a love hotel for her nap time we'll probably take the bus back when her meltdowns start getting worse.

EDIT: just came to the realization that she'd be napping if we strap her into the stroller. Any reasonably quiet walking paths?

Thriller

Here I am again :p

I'm trying to figure out which pasmo card would be a good buy for around 4 days in Tokyo. (I found out it is similar to the Dutch public transport card we use by the way)

I know I can add more money to the card so would it be smart to buy a card with 15000 Yen on it? that would be around 120 Euros. And can two people travel on one card or should you buy a card each?

Here I am again :p

I'm trying to figure out which pasmo card would be a good buy for around 4 days in Tokyo. (I found out it is similar to the Dutch public transport card we use by the way)

I know I can add more money to the card so would it be smart to buy a card with 15000 Yen on it? that would be around 120 Euros. And can two people travel on one card or should you buy a card each?

Just get a card with like 4-5000 JPY and refill it. You can refill at all train stations. You need to get a card each.

Edit: You can use the Pasmo card in some of the other cities you're visiting too:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_003.html

Useful when you need to take non-JR trains/subways that accept it.

Ayumi

just noticed something last night. why do people stand on the left side of the escalator in Kyoto but in Osaka they stand on the right...?

It's the same in Kyoto too (Kansai/Kinki). During the Edo period in Tokugawa (which is now Tokyo), Samurai always walked on the left, so they had more room/space to draw their swords, which their held in their right hand, since the Samurai were pretty much running the town it became customs.

It still isn't exactly clear why Osaka does it on the other side. There are many theories about it. Rivalry and other silly things.

Let's just be happy this is even a thing because I hate escalators in other countries. It's also very normal in the streets too, which I'm happy with because the streets are so narrow. Sucks how narrow the streets are though because everyone are such slow walkers. I should buy a bicycle bell and do like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7oGk-ozhKI

It's the same in Kyoto too (Kansai/Kinki). During the Edo period in Tokugawa (which is now Tokyo), Samurai always walked on the left, so they had more room/space to draw their swords, which their held in their right hand, since the Samurai were pretty much running the town it became customs.

It still isn't exactly clear why Osaka does it on the other side. There are many theories about it. Rivalry and other silly things.

Let's just be happy this is even a thing because I hate escalators in other countries. It's also very normal in the streets too, which I'm happy with because the streets are so narrow. Sucks how narrow the streets are though because everyone are such slow walkers. I should buy a bicycle bell and do like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7oGk-ozhKI

that an interesting little piece of info. but yeah, especially in areas where there's a lot of tourist, it gets a little maddening sometimes. that bicycle bell thing just might be useful

Ayumi

that an interesting little piece of info. but yeah, especially in areas where there's a lot of tourist, it gets a little maddening sometimes. that bicycle bell thing just might be useful
Some places (like Kyoto) has so many tourists the escalator thing gets messed up often. I even notice this when in a mall and there is a group of tourists on the escalator. #grumpy

Some places (like Kyoto) has so many tourists the escalator thing gets messed up often. I even notice this when in a mall and there is a group of tourists on the escalator. #grumpy

see, that kinda tells me you're truly a Japanese because you're getting all grumpy over the escalator line lol

for the record, I hate that too. and from what I've seen this time (well, almost anywhere anytime now a days) these are mostly my countrymen... orz

Ayumi

see, that kinda tells me you're truly a Japanese because you're getting all grumpy over the escalator line lol

for the record, I hate that too. and from what I've seen this time (well, almost anywhere anytime now a days) these are mostly my countrymen... orz

No, lol. Anyone would get grumpy. Everyone hates slow walkers! It sucks too because I'm a very fast walker. ._.

OrochiJR

Yeah, it's semi-official now: My gf and me will come to Japan during the cherry blossom season next year. That's exactly a year to go, but this way we have enough time to save up enough to make an enjoyable trip. That Kobe beef ain't gonna buy itself. Also gives me time to brush up on Kanji and my rusty Japanese in general.

We will probably be one week in and around Tokyo and one in the Kansai region. But we're still figuring the details out.:)

No, lol. Anyone would get grumpy. Everyone hates slow walkers! It sucks too because I'm a very fast walker. ._.

haha, I know the pain. I walk pretty fast in general and folks blocking the way just sucks big time.

Yeah, it's semi-official now: My gf and me will come to Japan during the cherry blossom season next year. That's exactly a year to go, but this way we have enough time to save up enough to make an enjoyable trip. That Kobe beef ain't gonna buy itself. Also gives me time to brush up on Kanji and my rusty Japanese in general.

We will probably be one week in and around Tokyo and one in the Kansai region. But we're still figuring the details out.:)

Kansai has some of the best sakuras, try to look up Yoshino and see if you can head there during the right time. this year it's April 3rd~5th or so. next year it might be a little different. (see my pictures up above and imagine those yellow parts of the mountain all pink from the sakura instead) Kyoto also has lots of good place to see sakura and check out the shrines/temples/castles.

cj_iwakura

I saw some travel agency advertising a four day/three night tour to Japan for around $989. Could that have been legit? Sounded way too good to be true.

Top Bottom