• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

dani_dc

So, essentially it's best to try it out, but I should expect to be looking at L sizes.

That's good to know, especially for merchandise shirts that you can't always try (not that I'm expecting to buy any of those considering how damn expensive they are).

Im flying in on the 14th...too bad i'll miss all the fun.

:(

You'll have fun some other ways though, there's no lack of fun to be had around Tokyo.

It's only there until May 10th :\

Hm, I might need to give a jump there before that date then, hadn't even considered going to the Universal Studios to be honest.

Edit: Wait, is it in Japanese only? Because that would be a bummer for me.

Ayumi

Edit: Wait, is it in Japanese only? Because that would be a bummer for me.
Isn't this the second time you ask, or was that someone else?

It's an attraction park, what do you need English for aside from the map (which they probably have in English)?

dani_dc

Isn't this the second time you ask, or was that someone else?

It's an attraction park, what do you need English for aside from the map (which they probably have in English)?

I didn't ask it, maybe someone else did and I missed it, I apologize if that was the case.

Either way I wasn't talking about the park in general, just this particular attraction since it features riddles:

img_part02.png

And all the extra information seems to be in Japanese.

Ayumi

I didn't ask it, maybe someone else did and I missed it, I apologize if that was the case.

Either way I wasn't talking about the park in general, just this particular attraction since it features riddles:
And all the extra information seems to be in Japanese.

Don't apologize, I wasn't yell at you. :3

Can't find anything on Google about the language in the attraction itself, but I can imagine it's perhaps made in a way that would appeal to tourists as well. But I honestly can't say.. a lot of Disneyland is in Japanese by default too. Probably worth going anyway if you're a Biohazard fan.

dani_dc

Don't apologize, I wasn't yell at you. :3

Can't find anything on Google about the language in the attraction itself, but I can imagine it's perhaps made in a way that would appeal to tourists as well. But I honestly can't say.. a lot of Disneyland is in Japanese by default too. Probably worth going anyway if you're a Biohazard fan.

The internet can make it difficult to tell tone, so I usually try to play it on the safe side if I have no reason to do otherwise!

Thanks for the effort though, I think I'll head there at some point anyway, worst that will happen is that I'll get stuck in a room for 60 minutes :p

Ayumi

Is Yoyogi park on Sunday really worth it? I'm thinking of taking some pictures around those parts, would the people there be ok with that?

Only you will know once you go. Nothing wrong with taking pictures, that's what everyone will be doing anyway. As long as you don't take pictures of other people without asking first (I don't mean with them being in the distance though, just close-up or centred). If you see people in kimono you want photos of, you can ask them. They'll most likely say yes.

The weather is supposed to be very nice so there might be tooooooooons of people though, so you won't get people-free photos, most likely.

dani_dc

Let us know if it's in English. Might try it if it is....
If I go it will probably be at some point towards the end of April, still way too much to explore in Tokyo.

Going to try and head to AnimeJapan tomorrow or Sunday, and then maybe check Comiket the weekend after, don't watch much anime now a days but it should be a fun experience.

dani_dc

I just found out that AnimeJapan is airing Gurren Lagann last episode on the open theather on Sunday.

I love GL beyond explanation, this is literally something I dreamt of having the chance to experience.

And just like that I'm way too excited right now.

any idea if a day trip from Kyoto or Osaka to Yoshino and back is a good idea? just saw that the wild mountain sakura is in season right now and I'm really itching to go check it out.

so, I figure might as well, here's my schedule for my trip to Japan, just want to see if I can get some additional tips or advices before I start (already booked all hotels). or hell, if anyone would be in any area I go to, let me know and I'll buy you a drink.

March 23rd:
land in FUK at Fukuoka at night and stay at capsule hotel. check out the Yata at night to grab a bite.
March 24th:
shinkansen in the morning from Fukuoka to Hiroshima, check out the A-bomb stuff and then back on shinkansen to Kyoto (stay)
March 25th to
Fushimi Inari shrine, Sanjusangen-do, take a selfie in front of Nintendo and maybe Kiyomizu Temple.
March 26th:
Otagi Nenbutsu-ji Temple, Kinkaku-ji, Tenryū-ji and maybe a few other shrines and temples.
March 27th:
kinda thinking about heading to Yoshino to check out the wild mountain sakuras, either that or more Kyoto.
March 28th:
check out some more Kyoto in the morning and then go to Osaka, store luggage in station locker and go grab food. spend the night in a manga cafe.
March 29th:
from Osaka to Tokyo (stay)
March 30th:
go to Yokohama and back to Tokyo same day.
March 31st to April 2nd:
check out different places in Tokyo
April 3rd:
Tokyo to Kagoshima (stay)
April 4th:
Kumamoto
April 5th:
Ibusuki or Miyazaki (have not really decided yet)
April 6th:
Kagoshima
April 7th:
Mt. Sakurajima
April 8th:
Kagoshima to Fukuoka (stay)
April 9th:
Nagasaki
April 10th:
Kurume and/or Imari
April 11th:
Fukuoka to Yufu (stay)
April 12th:
Yufu back to Fukuoka (stay)
April 13th:
early flight leaving FUK

now I know that might look very packed but I'm pretty used to going to a lot of places in a day so I think it'll be fine. I've been to Kansai before so I have a better idea of what I want to do in Kyoto. I might even try to squeeze a trip to Himeji in there somewhere since it just reopened. the last time I was in Tokyo I spent abour 3 out of 6 days there sick in the hostel so this is more of a make-up-for-it trip to Tokyo. as for Kyushu, it's my first time there so it'll be interesting to go to any of these places.

again, let me know about anything you guys can think of (especially anything food related lol) and I'm somewhat flexible with what I'm going to do.

Your schedule looks very stressful...

haha, I know, but then again I do LA to Yellowstone and back on wheels (with lots of different stops along the way) in 7 days 4 times or so a month, so this is nothing for me lol

and again, like I said, my schedule is pretty flexible so I can lay back and skip some atuff if I want to.

Ayumi

haha, I know, but then again I do LA to Yellowstone and back on wheels (with lots of different stops along the way) in 7 days 4 times or so a month, so this is nothing for me lol

and again, like I said, my schedule is pretty flexible so I can lay back and skip some atuff if I want to.

Personally, I would suggest you cut your schedule in half. Not only to avoid such rush, but also so that you can spare/look forward to new trips the next time you come.

One does simply not visit Japan just once (this should be the thread title, imo).

hwalker84

Did some shopping in Shibuya, ate a ton of food, now back at the hostel chilling. Taking it slow until I get to Nagano. Then my trip begins again.

Personally, I would suggest you cut your schedule in half. Not only to avoid such rush, but also so that you can spare/look forward to new trips the next time you come.

One does simply not visit Japan just once (this should be the thread title, imo).

oh, I totally get what you're saying. I think the Tokyo leg of the trip would be my slow down and chill part since other then a few spots I missed last time, I'm not entirely that "into" Tokyo. and like I said, I can always cut a day now and then if I feel too overwhelmed.

just for reference, last time I also did a 3 week trip and went to most of the famous places in Kansai, a few Tokyo locations, and did Hokkaido for a week or so. and I would come back again in a few years because there are still so much cool stuff to see.

E-phonk

Banned
Going to Japan for a few days - we have to perform in Nagoya. We'll be there from the 29th of april 'till the 4th of may.
If anyone has any tips/guides/hints for Nagoya, I'd love to hear them. Also, would it be worth it to make the trip to Tokyo? I'll only have one day free (we play 3 concerts there the other days).

Psyched! Always wanted to go to Japan and now I can get there for free, even if it's only for a few days :D

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
My trip is exactly a month away and I haven't booked any accommodation yet...am I in trouble? I'm planning on straightening out lodging, train passes and my portable wi-fi rental this week.

Tentative itinerary:

Tokyo (3 days)
Hakone (1 day)
Kyoto + Nara (2 days)
Mount Koya (1 day)
Hiroshima + Miyajima (1 day)

The final day will be spent traveling back to Tokyo from Hiroshima and taking it easy. We leave the following day in the early evening

A few questions:

1. Am I better off buying individual train tickets with this route, or will a JR Pass save me money?
2. What's the best website for purchasing the JR Pass if I want to have it printed out (or shipped to me -- however it works?) before I leave?
3. After I get the JR pass, do I still need to pre-book dates/times for rides or can I play it by ear a bit?
4. Has anyone spent the night at one of the monasteries on Mount Koya? What was it like / any recommendations on which to choose?
5. Is it worth it to spend the night on Miyajima or should we stay in Hiroshima instead?

My trip is exactly a month away and I haven't booked any accommodation yet...am I in trouble?

Well, you might not get the cheapest accommodations, but it should be mostly fine I think.

1. Get a 7-day JR Pass for the Hakone, Kyoto, Nara, Hiroshima and Miyajima stuff + return trip to the airport (if it's Narita at least), it'll save you money.
2. I got mine from www.japan-rail-pass.com. There's www.jrpass.com too, but not tried them myself. You should buy one ASAP, since they ship it to you.
3. You can mostly play it by ear. Watch out for May 2nd till May 6th though, since it's Golden Week, trains can get busy then. If you're planning to go back to Tokyo from Hiroshima in that timeframe, it might be best to try to reserve some seats as soon as you get your JR Pass in Japan.

well, I guess something have to go wrong to balance out the little bit of good luck with the lounge when I departed from LAX, and here it is.

I was suppose to take the 9:30am flight and lay over 2 hours to catch another flight to Fukuoka, which would land me at around 7pm local time. but when I got to the airport, they told me the flight had been pushed back and it'll now be departing at 11:20am... the only apologetic gesture on their end was a HK$50 coupon for food in the airport (which not all restaurant accepts). my lay over turned from 2 hours to close to 4 hours and by the time I got to FUK it's already close to 10pm and I can't do any currency exchange since the place is closed. good thing I have some ¥ on me just in case so I can still get to the capsule hotel I booked.

which, brings me to another rather interesting thing. even thou it took me a little while, I did find the hotel without too much problem. and after settled down and all, I decided to go for a walk and grab a bite even thou it's already middle of the night. I walk across the street and low and behold I findyself at the host/hostess club street it seems. as I walk forward I keep getting ask if I want massages. it's the first time I walk into this sort of area in Japan and it sure was intriguing to say the least, and seeing all the flower stores still opening at midnight (I assume to sell flowers to those who want to gift them to the hostess?) is kinda odd. and no, I didn't go in and try any, I know better then to get myself in these kind of over priced "services" lol

Ayumi

well, I guess something have to go wrong to balance out the little bit of good luck with the lounge when I departed from LAX, and here it is.

I was suppose to take the 9:30am flight and lay over 2 hours to catch another flight to Fukuoka, which would land me at around 7pm local time. but when I got to the airport, they told me the flight had been pushed back and it'll now be departing at 11:20am... the only apologetic gesture on their end was a HK$50 coupon for food in the airport (which not all restaurant accepts). my lay over turned from 2 hours to close to 4 hours and by the time I got to FUK it's already close to 10pm and I can't do any currency exchange since the place is closed. good thing I have some ¥ on me just in case so I can still get to the capsule hotel I booked.

which, brings me to another rather interesting thing. even thou it took me a little while, I did find the hotel without too much problem. and after settled down and all, I decided to go for a walk and grab a bite even thou it's already middle of the night. I walk across the street and low and behold I findyself at the host/hostess club street it seems. as I walk forward I keep getting ask if I want massages. it's the first time I walk into this sort of area in Japan and it sure was intriguing to say the least, and seeing all the flower stores still opening at midnight (I assume to sell flowers to those who want to gift them to the hostess?) is kinda odd. and no, I didn't go in and try any, I know better then to get myself in these kind of over priced "services" lol

It's sad to say but a lot of those places are associated with yakuza or other gang members who will force you to pay high amounts of money. I know most of you have common sense to never enter the places, but I still want to write this as a warning (to whoever may read it). If you enter a place, they expect you to pay an entry fee. Then, if you meet girls, they will talk you into paying more and more as the time goes on. If you want to leave, you might get stopped by scary looking guys who says you have to pay an exit fee. This fee.. can be extremely insane. Several thousand dollars.

I don't judge people who enter those places or those who want to pay for happy endings (although I am against that kind of often forced labor work), but it's not something you go without recommendation from someone you know who can vouch for the place.

Best thing to do if you get approached is to just walk away as fast as you can. Don't answer, don't look them in the eye. Don't be rude either, so a small polite nod while you leave would be okay.

Oh, welcome to Fukuoka I guess?! It seems like you are in the heart of Nakasu Kawabata lol. Sounds like you walked both areas - the one with the hostess clubs and the one with the prostitutes. Actually there are some worthwhile places which are not that overpriced, but as a tourist you won't find them I guess. Yeah, it's a pretty interesting place and there are some great food places aswell. Ichiran Ramen is probably the most accessible place out of all and the Ramen is quite good. They have order instructions in english too if you need them. Also, the flowers are mainly delivering to clubs, but yeah that includes their staff too.

Fukuoka is as far as sightseeing goes not that interesting, but it's a great place to visit and dine nonetheless. It really shows it's beauty after you stay here for a longer period of time and discover those nice places. People are very, very nice around here too. Either way, I hope you enjoy your stay in Fukuoka!

It's sad to say but a lot of those places are associated with yakuza or other gang members who will force you to pay high amounts of money. I know most of you have common sense to never enter the places, but I still want to write this as a warning (to whoever may read it). If you enter a place, they expect you to pay an entry fee. Then, if you meet girls, they will talk you into paying more and more as the time goes on. If you want to leave, you might get stopped by scary looking guys who says you have to pay an exit fee. This fee.. can be extremely insane. Several thousand dollars.

I don't judge people who enter those places or those who want to pay for happy endings (although I am against that kind of often forced labor work), but it's not something you go without recommendation from someone you know who can vouch for the place.

Best thing to do if you get approached is to just walk away as fast as you can. Don't answer, don't look them in the eye. Don't be rude either, so a small polite nod while you leave would be okay.
Not saying you're wrong, but to be honest, it's not that bad. Paying the entry fee is totally normal as paying money for the hostess is which is there to entertain you. While I wouldn't recommend any tourist to go alone to a hostess club or whatever, it's totally fine if you go with somebody who knows the area and how to deal with them. I used to work in the heart of Tokyo's Kabukicho a decade ago meeting and drinking with lots of shady people on a daily base. Now and then is like night and day. Kabukicho changed a lot - for the better. Sure there are still shady people hanging around there, but it's nowhere near where it used to be. As far as Fukuoka goes, it's harmless. People who run a Delivery Health business usually don't have actually Yakuza behind them. They say they do, but it's just a way to threaten asshole customers who don't wanna pay. In any case, if you don't act like a fool, you'll be totally fine.

Easiest way to ignore them is just act like you're a local and keep on walking. Walk with purpose and own the place. Funny enough, wherever I'm at in the world, I always get stopped by tourists for directions because of this. Hehe.

JEKKI

I hate to ask for help here, but everybody I know is either unreliable or unable to help, and it hurts me because I've really been looking forward to visiting Japan this year and it sucks seeing that opportunity slip out of my hands over something I have no control of and wish I could handle on my own but I cannot...

that said, is anybody in this thread able to purchase concert tickets for me?

I've already scalped one date (of the 3 I wanted) off yahoo auctions but there's still one day I want that isn't sold out:

http://www.hipjpn.co.jp/archives/34423

if anybody thinks they can get me a ticket for the 05/17/2015 show date please PM me so we can work this out!!

I was supposed to have this ticket months ago, I was supposed to purchase my flight and settle everything last week, so if anybody can help let me know ASAP otherwise I don't think I'll be making this vacation this year.

for ticket purchase and shipping to me in California I'd be more than happy to reimburse $150 USD, which is probably double what everything will cost you. Thanks!

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I hate to ask for help here, but everybody I know is either unreliable or unable to help, and it hurts me because I've really been looking forward to visiting Japan this year and it sucks seeing that opportunity slip out of my hands over something I have no control of and wish I could handle on my own but I cannot...

I've already scalped one date (of the 3 I wanted) off yahoo auctions but there's still one day I want that isn't sold out:

if anybody thinks they can get me a ticket for the 05/17/2015 show date please PM me so we can work this out!!

I was supposed to have this ticket months ago, I was supposed to purchase my flight and settle everything last week, so if anybody can help let me know ASAP otherwise I don't think I'll be making this vacation this year.

for ticket purchase and shipping to me in California I'd be more than happy to reimburse $150 USD, which is probably double what everything will cost you. Thanks!

I will buy the ticket for you.

I can check that here in Fukuoka today during my lunch time. I'm not 100% sure it will work out, but I'll give it a try at the conbini.

Edit: Gromph got you covered I guess ♡ lol.

decided to skip Hiroshima today and sleep in a little. after I checked out, took the shinkansen to Shin Osaka and then Kyoto. off to post office for some currency exchange and then took the bus to the minshuku. took a little longer then expected but over all not much trouble. the wifi hotspot thing has also arrived so finally some internet to use on the road.

being back in Japan and traveling around reminded me once again how efficient and... logical this place is. everyone waiting in line without any problem, and lots of automatic stuff to help with day to day things. especially just coming over from Hong Kong and Shenzhen, this is heaven in comparison. of course, I'm sure things might be different in the tourist spots, but I'm happy so far.

Easiest way to ignore them is just act like you're a local and keep on walking. Walk with purpose and own the place. Funny enough, wherever I'm at in the world, I always get stopped by tourists for directions because of this. Hehe.

haha, yeah, pretty much what I did last night. just keep walking and maybe a nod plus smile now and then. I've been to enough Chinese tourist traps to know how to deal with these kinda things lol.

Oh, welcome to Fukuoka I guess?! It seems like you are in the heart of Nakasu Kawabata lol. Sounds like you walked both areas - the one with the hostess clubs and the one with the prostitutes. Actually there are some worthwhile places which are not that overpriced, but as a tourist you won't find them I guess. Yeah, it's a pretty interesting place and there are some great food places aswell. Ichiran Ramen is probably the most accessible place out of all and the Ramen is quite good. They have order instructions in english too if you need them. Also, the flowers are mainly delivering to clubs, but yeah that includes their staff too.

Fukuoka is as far as sightseeing goes not that interesting, but it's a great place to visit and dine nonetheless. It really shows it's beauty after you stay here for a longer period of time and discover those nice places. People are very, very nice around here too. Either way, I hope you enjoy your stay in Fukuoka!

haha, I think I only went through the hostess area, no idea there's another part with prostitutes. are they like the clubs also that there are people out front trying to get business from people passing by? sounds kinda hilarious if that's the case.

I'll be back in Kyushu, including Fukuoka in around 2 weeks and I will go check out that Ichiran Ramen for sure. would you be there around that time? I'll love to buy you a drink if you know some good yakitori place.  ̄▽ ̄

edit: and sonofa... it's so windy and cold here in Kyoto. it'll be close to 0°C at the lowest this couple nights. good think I did bring some warm clothing with me...

haha, I think I only went through the hostess area, no idea there's another part with prostitutes. are they like the clubs also that there are people out front trying to get business from people passing by? sounds kinda hilarious if that's the case.

I'll be back in Kyushu, including Fukuoka in around 2 weeks and I will go check out that Ichiran Ramen for sure. would you be there around that time? I'll love to buy you a drink if you know some good yakitori place.  ̄▽ ̄
Yep, those parts are separated and to a tourist not visible without really knowing left and right are two totally different business areas. Yeah, they also try to get people inside their business off the streets. Basically it involves blow-jobs only, but most of the women working there will go the extra mile for extra money.

Oh, how nice! Yeah, usually I'm here, but sometimes in Kitakyushu due to business, so that may be the case if it's on a workday. Just let me know when you come back, so I'll try to make that happen. Thanks for the invitation!

hwalker84

So who's all in Japan right now? Where? Maybe we'll intersect somewhere. I'm leaving Nagano Thursday any maybe going to Hiroshima. Not sure yet.

Oh, how nice! Yeah, usually I'm here, but sometimes in Kitakyushu due to business, so that may be the case if it's on a workday. Just let me know when you come back, so I'll try to make that happen. Thanks for the invitation!

cool! I'll be in Kagoshima from April 3rd to 7th and then stay in Fukuoka from 8th to 11th. I'll PM you later and see where we can get together for some good eats.

So who's all in Japan right now? Where? Maybe we'll intersect somewhere. I'm leaving Nagano Thursday any maybe going to Hiroshima. Not sure yet.

I'll be staying in Kyoto and running around here and Osaka (maybe Himeji too) until the 29th. after that I'll be going to Tokyo and back to Kyushu. let me know if you're near by.

hwalker84

cool! I'll be in Kagoshima from April 3rd to 7th and then stay in Fukuoka from 8th to 11th. I'll PM you later and see where we can get together for some good eats.

I'll be staying in Kyoto and running around here and Osaka (maybe Himeji too) until the 29th. after that I'll be going to Tokyo and back to Kyushu. let me know if you're near by.

When are you back in Tokyo? I may be in the Osaka/Kyoto area close to the time you're there.

left the minshuku to just wander around, ended up trying to get to this place that does chicken hotpot and oyakodon, but realize that they only serve oyakodon at lunch (12:00 to 14:00 to be precise) and they're already closing when I got there... oh well, next time I guess.

instead I went and grabbed a bite at a soba noodle shop near there. the hot soba set was pretty good but a little overpriced to be honest. afterwards I went and walk through the suburban area to Funaoka Onsen to wash up.

0pIDdDF.jpg

ugHGjLN.jpg

v7rQQQQ.jpg

a5AuPQv.jpg

first time in a bath house but itspretty much like any other spa/onsen so no problem here. grabbed a coffee milk afterwards to top it off. and right across the street is a nice little eatery.

FXderTK.jpg

JH5FHZC.jpg

lSYofU5.jpg

ordered a set dinner and a glass of plum wine. much cheaper but just as tasty as the soba. over all a good night.

I'll be in tokyo from April 29th - May 12th. It'll be my second time in Japan. I can't wait to visit Gundam Front again and I'm gonna eat lots of foods especially sushi :D

I'm going to travel solo the whole trip so if someone here wants to tag along or hangout I'm down for it.

Thriller

Getting a Suica/Pasmo card is slightly more convenient than using a JR Pass in Tokyo IMHO. And if he's planning to spend 7 days in Tokyo then he'd have to take around 6-8 Yamanote train rides every day to make the extra JR Pass days pay off.

So when my dad and I arrive at Haneda can we buy this suica/Pasmo card there and would we be good for 4 days of travel in Tokyo?
And after this we activate our 14 day train pass?

I am so stoked to be going to Japan again :D

Is the Clubbing scene in Tokyo any good? I'd love to go to a giant club if I Have the chance!

I'll be in tokyo from April 29th - May 12th. It'll be my second time in Japan. I can't wait to visit Gundam Front again and I'm gonna eat lots of foods especially sushi :D

I'm going to travel solo the whole trip so if someone here wants to tag along or hangout I'm down for it.

Ah, we're having meetup on the 12th, but you're maybe leaving then?

So when my dad and I arrive at Haneda can we buy this suica/Pasmo card there and would we be good for 4 days of travel in Tokyo?
And after this we activate our 14 day train pass?

You can buy a Suica/Pasmo at the airport yes. And it's a card you fill with whatever amount of money you want. Works kinda like a contactless payment card. You can use it in some stores and for some vending machines too.

Top Bottom